How can I create a Visio timeline from a Microsoft Project file?

Can a Microsoft Project file be used to generate a timeline in Visio? If so,
which versions of each program would I need?

0
SB29 (18)
2/10/2004 3:10:10 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

And by timeline, I don't mean Gaant chart. I mean the timelines that I can
manually create in Visio using the Timeline Shapes stencil.

"Suzie" <SB29@mdahospital.com> wrote in message
> Can a Microsoft Project file be used to generate a timeline in Visio? If
so,
> which versions of each program would I need?

0
SB29 (18)
2/10/2004 4:49:05 PM
This from v2003pro timeline help, your mileage may vary

      Import Project data to a Visio timeline
      Show All
      Hide All
      Note  You must have Microsoft Project 2000 or later installed.

        1.. On the File menu, point to New, point to Project Schedule, and
then click Timeline.
        2.. On the Timeline menu, click Import Timeline Data.
        3.. On the first wizard page, enter or select the Project (MPP) file
you want to use to create a Microsoft Office Visio timeline, or click the
Browse button to navigate to the file you want, and then click Next.
        4.. On the next wizard page, select the task types you want to
import. See the Description at the bottom for details about each task type.
        5.. On the third wizard page, select the shape types you want to use
for the timeline, as well as for the milestones and intervals that appear on
your timeline. You can also click the Advanced button to set the time scale
and display options for your Visio timeline. Click OK, and then click Next.
        6.. Click Finish to create a Visio timeline with the properties you
specified in the wizard.
        Note  If you have shapes on the current drawing page, Visio places
the timeline on a new page in your current drawing

> And by timeline, I don't mean Gaant chart. I mean the timelines that I can
> manually create in Visio using the Timeline Shapes stencil.
>
> "Suzie" <SB29@mdahospital.com> wrote in message
> > Can a Microsoft Project file be used to generate a timeline in Visio? If
> so,
> > which versions of each program would I need?

begin 666 default.aspx?AssetID=ZA790050001033
M1TE&.#EA#@`*`,03```=B0``_Z6E[KVZ\JFFXPPHC]#.]@<`W]_A\00`Z@8`
MXI65_]#0_QT5VR0=VXN+_YJ:_[>W_________P``````````````````````
M`````````````````````````"'Y! $``!,`+ `````.``H```4K8(%,9&F2
K0&.<+! =`VL"4J (,LH$04+D@ ?/!US8<$ (+(=RK)@3$904`@`[````````
`
end

begin 666 default.aspx?AssetID=ZA790050011033
M1TE&.#EA#@`*`,03```=B0``_Z6E[KVZ\JFFXPPHC]#.]@<`W]_A\00`Z@8`
MXI65_]#0_QT5VR0=VXN+_YJ:_[>W_________P``````````````````````
M`````````````````````````"'Y! $``!,`+ `````.``H```4LX"2.9&F>
KJ%D`;,L6).) R\-(48.4QA'\@8/A-%#\%(.4()$0I$0$PG,Z"0$`.P``````
`
end

0
edlund1 (616)
2/11/2004 12:49:26 PM
You can do this programmatically as well using the command line interface
for the solution. See the Visio 2003 Code Librarian sample on Timeline.

Thanks,
Mai-lan
Microsoft Corp.

"Al Edlund" <edlund@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> This from v2003pro timeline help, your mileage may vary
>
>       Import Project data to a Visio timeline
>       Show All
>       Hide All
>       Note  You must have Microsoft Project 2000 or later installed.
>
>         1.. On the File menu, point to New, point to Project Schedule, and
> then click Timeline.
>         2.. On the Timeline menu, click Import Timeline Data.
>         3.. On the first wizard page, enter or select the Project (MPP)
file
> you want to use to create a Microsoft Office Visio timeline, or click the
> Browse button to navigate to the file you want, and then click Next.
>         4.. On the next wizard page, select the task types you want to
> import. See the Description at the bottom for details about each task
type.
>         5.. On the third wizard page, select the shape types you want to
use
> for the timeline, as well as for the milestones and intervals that appear
on
> your timeline. You can also click the Advanced button to set the time
scale
> and display options for your Visio timeline. Click OK, and then click
Next.
>         6.. Click Finish to create a Visio timeline with the properties
you
> specified in the wizard.
>         Note  If you have shapes on the current drawing page, Visio places
> the timeline on a new page in your current drawing
>

> "Suzie" <SB29@mdahospital.com> wrote in message
> > And by timeline, I don't mean Gaant chart. I mean the timelines that I
can
> > manually create in Visio using the Timeline Shapes stencil.
> >
> > "Suzie" <SB29@mdahospital.com> wrote in message
> > > Can a Microsoft Project file be used to generate a timeline in Visio?
If
> > so,
> > > which versions of each program would I need?

I don't know what the Code Librarian is. Is it code that will do what I need
already or would I need to tweak it? I'm not a programmer.

"Mai-lan [MS]" <visioplatform@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You can do this programmatically as well using the command line interface
> for the solution. See the Visio 2003 Code Librarian sample on Timeline.
>
> Thanks,
> Mai-lan
> Microsoft Corp.
>
> "Al Edlund" <edlund@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> > This from v2003pro timeline help, your mileage may vary
> >
> >       Import Project data to a Visio timeline
> >       Show All
> >       Hide All
> >       Note  You must have Microsoft Project 2000 or later installed.
> >
> >         1.. On the File menu, point to New, point to Project Schedule,
and
> > then click Timeline.
> >         2.. On the Timeline menu, click Import Timeline Data.
> >         3.. On the first wizard page, enter or select the Project (MPP)
> file
> > you want to use to create a Microsoft Office Visio timeline, or click
the
> > Browse button to navigate to the file you want, and then click Next.
> >         4.. On the next wizard page, select the task types you want to
> > import. See the Description at the bottom for details about each task
> type.
> >         5.. On the third wizard page, select the shape types you want to
> use
> > for the timeline, as well as for the milestones and intervals that
appear
> on
> > your timeline. You can also click the Advanced button to set the time
> scale
> > and display options for your Visio timeline. Click OK, and then click
> Next.
> >         6.. Click Finish to create a Visio timeline with the properties
> you
> > specified in the wizard.
> >         Note  If you have shapes on the current drawing page, Visio
places
> > the timeline on a new page in your current drawing
> >

> > "Suzie" <SB29@mdahospital.com> wrote in message
> > > And by timeline, I don't mean Gaant chart. I mean the timelines that I
> can
> > > manually create in Visio using the Timeline Shapes stencil.
> > >
> > > "Suzie" <SB29@mdahospital.com> wrote in message
Visio?
> If
> > > so,

0
SB29 (18)
2/25/2004 8:56:15 PM
Both Visio 2002 and Visio 2003 provide the ability to import an MS Project
file into a timeline drawing.  You should definitely try this first to see
if it meets your needs.  Beyond that, Visio offers a rich programming model
if you wanted to write your own program to generate a timeline from Project
data.

--
Mark Nelson
Microsoft Corporation

> I don't know what the Code Librarian is. Is it code that will do what I
need
> already or would I need to tweak it? I'm not a programmer.
>
> "Mai-lan [MS]" <visioplatform@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > You can do this programmatically as well using the command line
interface
> > for the solution. See the Visio 2003 Code Librarian sample on Timeline.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mai-lan
> > Microsoft Corp.
> >
> > "Al Edlund" <edlund@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> > > This from v2003pro timeline help, your mileage may vary
> > >
> > >       Import Project data to a Visio timeline
> > >       Show All
> > >       Hide All
> > >       Note  You must have Microsoft Project 2000 or later installed.
> > >
> > >         1.. On the File menu, point to New, point to Project Schedule,
> and
> > > then click Timeline.
> > >         2.. On the Timeline menu, click Import Timeline Data.
> > >         3.. On the first wizard page, enter or select the Project
(MPP)
> > file
> > > you want to use to create a Microsoft Office Visio timeline, or click
> the
> > > Browse button to navigate to the file you want, and then click Next.
> > >         4.. On the next wizard page, select the task types you want to
> > > import. See the Description at the bottom for details about each task
> > type.
> > >         5.. On the third wizard page, select the shape types you want
> > use
> > > for the timeline, as well as for the milestones and intervals that
> appear
> > on
> > > your timeline. You can also click the Advanced button to set the time
> > scale
> > > and display options for your Visio timeline. Click OK, and then click
> > Next.
> > >         6.. Click Finish to create a Visio timeline with the
properties
> > you
> > > specified in the wizard.
> > >         Note  If you have shapes on the current drawing page, Visio
> places
> > > the timeline on a new page in your current drawing
> > >

> > > "Suzie" <SB29@mdahospital.com> wrote in message
> > can

> Visio?
> > If

0
marknel (439)
2/26/2004 4:40:44 PM
I'm a rotten programmer but given some simple code I could tweak it enough
to do what I want. Have anybody done this and so you have something you
could share with me?

"Mark Nelson [MS]" <marknel@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Both Visio 2002 and Visio 2003 provide the ability to import an MS Project
> file into a timeline drawing.  You should definitely try this first to see
> if it meets your needs.  Beyond that, Visio offers a rich programming
model
> if you wanted to write your own program to generate a timeline from
Project
> data.
>
> --
> Mark Nelson
> Microsoft Corporation

rights.

> "Suzie" <SB29@mdahospital.com> wrote in message
> > I don't know what the Code Librarian is. Is it code that will do what I
> need
> > already or would I need to tweak it? I'm not a programmer.
> >
> > "Mai-lan [MS]" <visioplatform@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > You can do this programmatically as well using the command line
> interface
> > > for the solution. See the Visio 2003 Code Librarian sample on
Timeline.

> > > Thanks,
> > > Mai-lan
> > > Microsoft Corp.
> > >
> > > "Al Edlund" <edlund@ameritech.net> wrote in message

Schedule,
> > and
> (MPP)
> > > file
> > the
> > > type.
> > > use
> > appear
> > > on
> > > scale
> > > Next.
> properties
> > > you
> > places

> > > can

> > Visio?
> > > If

0
SB29 (18)
3/2/2004 2:28:29 PM
Hi Suzie,

I just wanted to make sure that you understood Visio can import Project
files into timeline drawings without any code.  This is a feature of the
Timeline drawing template.  If you want to automate that operation, you can
write code to do so.  There is an example of that in the Visio 2003 SDK.

The SDK is available here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=557120bd-b0bb-46e7-936a-b8539898d44d&displaylang=en

Inside the SDK you want to run the Code Librarian Viewer, choose your
programming language and then look in Integration > Timelines from Project.

--
Mark Nelson
Microsoft Corporation

> I'm a rotten programmer but given some simple code I could tweak it enough
> to do what I want. Have anybody done this and so you have something you
> could share with me?
>
> "Mark Nelson [MS]" <marknel@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Both Visio 2002 and Visio 2003 provide the ability to import an MS
Project
> > file into a timeline drawing.  You should definitely try this first to
see
> > if it meets your needs.  Beyond that, Visio offers a rich programming
> model
> > if you wanted to write your own program to generate a timeline from
> Project
> > data.
> >
> > --
> > Mark Nelson
> > Microsoft Corporation

> rights.
> >

> > "Suzie" <SB29@mdahospital.com> wrote in message
> > > I don't know what the Code Librarian is. Is it code that will do what
> > need
> > > already or would I need to tweak it? I'm not a programmer.
> > >
> > > "Mai-lan [MS]" <visioplatform@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > interface
> Timeline.

> Schedule,
> > > and
> > (MPP)
> click
> > > the
Next.
> task
> want
> > > appear
> time
> click
> > properties
Visio
> > > places

> that

> > > Visio?

0
marknel (439)
3/6/2004 9:29:49 PM
you might do a search (v2003) on tlimpt.exe (timeline import) in the help
facility, which is a command line tool to import and draw a timeline.
Al
> Hi Suzie,
>
> I just wanted to make sure that you understood Visio can import Project
> files into timeline drawings without any code.  This is a feature of the
> Timeline drawing template.  If you want to automate that operation, you
can
> write code to do so.  There is an example of that in the Visio 2003 SDK.
>
> The SDK is available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=557120bd-b0bb-46e7-936a-b8539898d44d&displaylang=en

> Inside the SDK you want to run the Code Librarian Viewer, choose your
> programming language and then look in Integration > Timelines from
Project.

> --
> Mark Nelson
> Microsoft Corporation

rights.

> "Suzie" <SB29@mdahospital.com> wrote in message
> > I'm a rotten programmer but given some simple code I could tweak it
enough
> > to do what I want. Have anybody done this and so you have something you
> > could share with me?
> >
> > "Mark Nelson [MS]" <marknel@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Both Visio 2002 and Visio 2003 provide the ability to import an MS
> Project
> > > file into a timeline drawing.  You should definitely try this first to
> see
> > > if it meets your needs.  Beyond that, Visio offers a rich programming
> > model
> > > if you wanted to write your own program to generate a timeline from
> > Project
> > > data.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Mark Nelson
> > > Microsoft Corporation

> > rights.
> > >

> > > "Suzie" <SB29@mdahospital.com> wrote in message
> > > need

> > > interface
> > Timeline.

> installed.

> > Schedule,
Project
> > > (MPP)
> > click
> Next.
> want
> > task
> > want
> > time
> > click
> > > properties
> Visio

> > that

0
edlund1 (616)

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

concatenate files...
Back in DOS days I could concatenate text files without using a third party tool. Can I do this with XP, Vista, or W7? TIA, Paul "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote: >Back in DOS days I could concatenate text files without using a third party >tool. Can I do this with XP, Vista, or W7? TIA, Paul Yes, the same way you did before: copy file1.txt + file2.txt fileboth.txt Type copy /? at a command prompt to find out all about the copy command. -- Tim Slattery Slattery_T@bls.gov http://members.cox.net/slatteryt Paul H wrote: ...

Can't send/receive

Microsoft Exchange Server #4
I need help. Everytime a send an email in Outlook, a window pops up with "Request for data from Microsoft Exchange Server". It takes 1-2 minutes for the request to run out. If I cancel the request, I have to restart outlook and it just starts over again everytime I send an email. Does anyone have suggestions on how to prevent this from occuring? Are you using an Exchange server? What version of Outlook? What SP = level is Offiice/Outlook? --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After furious head scratching, Randy a...

Can not Customize Leads View

Setup.exe return the error 'not a valid WIN32 file'. (Can not install) What gives???? ...

Manually creating a replica
I have followed the article on TechNet on How to Manually Create a Replica but I'm not sure if I did it wrong or if what I'm experiencing is normal. At one of my sites, I have about 500MB of data that I would like to protect. I have followed the steps to manually create the replica but when I start the consistency check, the consistency check transfered all 500MB of data that I already imported! Did I do something wrong? I thought the purpose of manually importing the data is so that the initial replica doesn't go over the WAN. Thanks, Mike Ok. I figured out wh...

Bulk attachments

Publisher file won't open #2
I worked for three hours then Publsher crashed. I had saved my file, but when I trie to open it it says problem with file, do you want to report it, and then reboots Publisher. How can I save my work? Using Publisher 2003. You may send the file to me. If I can open it I'll save it for you. If it crashes my system, you may be SOL. (Surely out of luck.) If you want to accept my offer, send it to jl dot paules at gmail at com. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Don Smith" <dhsmith@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:r4ns615gkmkm12q5or5nd0k70gac5stjbc@4ax....

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

visio trial
Cannot download the Visio trial. I have tried several times. ...

Can (or how can) I do this

"Publisher cannot open the file"
Can anyone explain why Publisher 2002 should suddenly fail to open just one of hundreds of my files? The message in the subject line pops up every time I try opening the file. I've rebooted the computer, copied the file to another folder but still it won't open. Any suggestions please. Chrisssss...... Chrisssssss......... wrote: || Can anyone explain why Publisher 2002 should suddenly fail to open || just one of hundreds of my files? The message in the subject line || pops up every time I try opening the file. I've rebooted the || computer, copied the file to another folder ...

Creating Email Templates
Hello, In looking at the various resources, everyone seems to like the email template functionality .. although I do question one thing. Is it possible to create an email template for use in a workflow THAT IS NOT sent to the customer/account? From what I can tell, if you create an Opportunity/Account/Contact email template, all these automatically send the end account/customer the email. What I would like is when a new Opportunity is created to be sent to some Internal users only ... ie. the user's Manager to confirm the presence of a new Opportunity. This from the looks of th...

Writing Text File with code UTF-8
Hello Does somebody know how to write a Text File with code UTF-8 from Dexterity? I know that are 3 functions to write text files: TextFile_Writeline() TextFile_WriteDOS() TextFile_WriteText() But there is not therein a parameter to achieve text file be written with code UTF-8. I=92ll appreciate your guide. Best regards. ------=_NextPart_0001_A41C49B3 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Dexterity does not support double byte or unicode. You might need to use COM or win32 dll calls to get the OS to write the file for you. The difference between WriteLine and WriteDOS i...