Database Diagram 15 ruled column limit?

I am creating a database model, before we build the database.  This
means that I cannot have Visio build this for me.  I am using column
shapes with connectors and just setting everything up.

It has been going fine, but I have 1 issue.  I searched for table and
then for column.  A shape called 15 ruled column is what I found.
This works fine unless I have a table with more than 15 columns.  Then
it doesn't frame my field list after that.

Any suggestions out there?  I am frustrate that I can't find another
shape, change this one to work or something.  I have so much of this
done, but it looks yucky to have the few tables that have more than 15
columns have field names hanging off the end of the shape and not
bordered like the rest of the shape.

Has anyone had this issue?  Can anyone please help me?  I am so
excited to finish this, and this one issue is stumping me.

Thanks!
0
nospam9740 (13)
9/14/2009 1:49:54 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

If I understand what you are doing correctly, you are designing a database.
In this case, you should be using the Entity shape and adding (database)
columns in the Database Propoerties window.

The 15-ruled column shape you are using is just a text column and doesn't
really mean a database column.

HTH

"nospam@thankyou.com" <misscrf@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am creating a database model, before we build the database.  This
> means that I cannot have Visio build this for me.  I am using column
> shapes with connectors and just setting everything up.
>
> It has been going fine, but I have 1 issue.  I searched for table and
> then for column.  A shape called 15 ruled column is what I found.
> This works fine unless I have a table with more than 15 columns.  Then
> it doesn't frame my field list after that.
>
> Any suggestions out there?  I am frustrate that I can't find another
> shape, change this one to work or something.  I have so much of this
> done, but it looks yucky to have the few tables that have more than 15
> columns have field names hanging off the end of the shape and not
> bordered like the rest of the shape.
>
> Has anyone had this issue?  Can anyone please help me?  I am so
> excited to finish this, and this one issue is stumping me.
>
> Thanks!

I think you are probably, right.  Thank you for responding.  When I
type entity into the shape search, I get some results and they look
like they might be ones for tables, but the ones that say table, wont
let me edit where it says table and put the name of the table.  Also,
the column box I have been using is framed for every row (up to 15
rows) with looks a lot like a db diagram would.  Should I search a
different way?

One other thing.  I see in this search results that ther is a Parent
to category connector.  I have been using a different type of
connector, but the ones I have all over my map have the text edited
with what the link is (table/field --> table field 1 - 1 / 1 - Many)
I did this all manually.  Any way to switch the connector type without
losing that text that I set up in the existing connectors?

Thanks!

On Sep 14, 2:04=A0pm, "Steve" <zen27157NO-S...@zen.co.uk> wrote:
> If I understand what you are doing correctly, you are designing a databas=
e.
> In this case, you should be using the Entity shape and adding (database)
> columns in the Database Propoerties window.
>
> The 15-ruled column shape you are using is just a text column and doesn't
> really mean a database column.
>
> HTH
>
> "nos...@thankyou.com" <miss...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >I am creating a database model, before we build the database. =A0This
> > means that I cannot have Visio build this for me. =A0I am using column
> > shapes with connectors and just setting everything up.
>
> > It has been going fine, but I have 1 issue. =A0I searched for table and
> > then for column. =A0A shape called 15 ruled column is what I found.
> > This works fine unless I have a table with more than 15 columns. =A0The=
> > it doesn't frame my field list after that.
>
> > Any suggestions out there? =A0I am frustrate that I can't find another
> > shape, change this one to work or something. =A0I have so much of this
> > done, but it looks yucky to have the few tables that have more than 15
> > columns have field names hanging off the end of the shape and not
> > bordered like the rest of the shape.
>
> > Has anyone had this issue? =A0Can anyone please help me? =A0I am so
> > excited to finish this, and this one issue is stumping me.
>
> > Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

misscrf1 (8)
9/14/2009 6:40:11 PM
Rather than searching for shapes by keyword, I suggest that you create a new
drawing by selecting File -> New -> Software and Database -> Database Model
Diagram. When you do, you'll have two shape stencils titled Entity
Relationship and Object Relationship. I suggest that you use the Entity
Relationship shapes to start with.

Unfortunately, I think that you'll need to recreate your work. I don't know
of any way to convert shapes from one type to another.

Basically, you drag an Entity shape onto the page, and then use the Database
Properties window to add columns, etc.

When you have two tables (Entities) that are related, you use the
Relationship connector to join them.

HTH

On Sep 14, 2:04 pm, "Steve" <zen27157NO-S...@zen.co.uk> wrote:
> If I understand what you are doing correctly, you are designing a
> database.
> In this case, you should be using the Entity shape and adding (database)
> columns in the Database Propoerties window.
>
> The 15-ruled column shape you are using is just a text column and doesn't
> really mean a database column.
>
> HTH
>
> "nos...@thankyou.com" <miss...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >I am creating a database model, before we build the database. This
> > means that I cannot have Visio build this for me. I am using column
> > shapes with connectors and just setting everything up.
>
> > It has been going fine, but I have 1 issue. I searched for table and
> > then for column. A shape called 15 ruled column is what I found.
> > This works fine unless I have a table with more than 15 columns. Then
> > it doesn't frame my field list after that.
>
> > Any suggestions out there? I am frustrate that I can't find another
> > shape, change this one to work or something. I have so much of this
> > done, but it looks yucky to have the few tables that have more than 15
> > columns have field names hanging off the end of the shape and not
> > bordered like the rest of the shape.
>
> > Has anyone had this issue? Can anyone please help me? I am so
> > excited to finish this, and this one issue is stumping me.
>
> > Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for providing an answer to me.  I would have gone forward,
but it would have been annoying not to understand where I was going
wrong.  I may use your suggestion just on the tables that are more
than 15 rows for now, and then fix the others later.  The saving grace
is that I can just copy and paste the info into the entity shape once
I create it, I think.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

On Sep 14, 4:38=A0pm, "Steve" <zen27157NO-S...@zen.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]
> > > means that I cannot have Visio build this for me. I am using column
> > > shapes with connectors and just setting everything up.
>
> > > It has been going fine, but I have 1 issue. I searched for table and
> > > then for column. A shape called 15 ruled column is what I found.
> > > This works fine unless I have a table with more than 15 columns. Then
> > > it doesn't frame my field list after that.
>
> > > Any suggestions out there? I am frustrate that I can't find another
> > > shape, change this one to work or something. I have so much of this
> > > done, but it looks yucky to have the few tables that have more than 1=
5
> > > columns have field names hanging off the end of the shape and not
> > > bordered like the rest of the shape.
>
> > > Has anyone had this issue? Can anyone please help me? I am so
> > > excited to finish this, and this one issue is stumping me.

misscrf1 (8)

Creating a rule ??
Hi all, I'm aware of how to create rules, etc., however having said that I'm stuck with some emails that I've been receiving lately that do not contain "From:" and "Subject:" detail. The email header is as follows (for one example): Return-Path: <EFAKNOZQDY@aussiemail.com.au> Received: from [203.2.192.79] ([139.84.154.46]) by smta09.mail.ozemail.net with SMTP id <20041008022619.MZVP15593.smta09.mail.ozemail.net@[203.2.192.79]>; Fri, 8 Oct 2004 02:26:19 +0000 X-Message-Info: 1KH51YAUamiq334B20fjPOQqzKG107xmkCR149rrcXb...

Gantt diagram for proposal and activities
Is there a way to display a Gantt diagram in proposals or activities? Thanks in advance Daniel -- Yes, but you must publish the Proposal or Activity plan first. After doing this, the Proposal or Activity plan becomes visible in the Project Center page in PWA. A user can click the name of the Proposal or Activity plan in the Project Center and then the system displays the Project Details page with a Gantt Chart on the right. Hope this helps. -- Dale A. Howard [MVP] VP of Educational Services msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com http://www.projectserverexper...

Access Database Conversion to Excel Database
I need to convert a downloaded database in Access format to an Excel format I can use on my desktop. Hi Greg One way Use Data>Import External Data in the menubar -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "greg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b0f301c3ec2b$2b12d830$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I need to convert a downloaded database in Access format > to an Excel format I can use on my desktop. ...

Nothing shows up in Database objects in Database Wizard
Hello, I am having touble with Visio 2003 once again. Though the db wizard, I created an excel spreadsheet (table) for data and am tryinig to link the chart back to this original database so that when I change something in the database it will change correspondingly. I am going back through the DB wizard, and can only get as far as selecting a database object to connect to. I have selected the original dada source, checked table, but nothing showes up under the database objects. Am I or my computer missing something? Please help! Thank You. Have you defined a name for the region ...

Duplicate Rules and Alerts in Outlook 2003
Hi! Two questions: I was using Outlook Express. One fine day I installed Outlook 2003 and imported all my mails and rules. I found that every rule was imported twice. Question 1 : When I click on Send/Receive, all mails fall in the inbox. I then have to go to Rules and Alerts and then use the Run Rules Now option to get the mails into their respective folders (ideally it should not fall in the inbox). There is one more problem here. When I click on Run Rules Now option, it gives me another dialog box, I have to select each and every rule. Is there any way to select them all automatically? ...

Huge database
Good afternoon, i have to make a huge database wich have to get data from excel file.That is not a big problem problem is that i have to get information for about 1000 families with 1000 elements for every family and this database have to storage this information at leaset one year. This make a huge pack of elements. Can Microsoft Access get so huge pack of data ? If yes i would be glad to read some ideas. Thanks If you are talking about 1000 columns in a table, Access can't do it. 255 is the upper limit. 1,000 * 1,000 is potentially a million records. However if the data is pr...

linking 2 databases in 1
Hi, I am running 2 hqs for 2 different purposes, now the company decided to use 1 hq for both purpose. How can i link the 2 databases into 1 database???? I tired to link them from SQL server enterprise manager-all task- export data from database A to B but some tables can not be exported and show me tables failure, is it possible to link them or im just trying something impossible? Advice me on that plZzzzZZzz -- Aliko ...

Apply a workflow rule manually to many activities
Hello I've make a very simple workflow rule to close the meeting (i don't know if it's the correct word in english but it's rendez vous in french;) ) which they have the end date < actual date. But i can only apply this rule after opening the meeting then i can close directly the meeting. My aim is to apply this rule to a selection of meeting but in the meeting view (and other activities views) there is not the menu "more actions" with the command "apply rule". has something a tips to add this command? Thanks Clark ------=_NextPart_0001_1B74402D ...

Importing Current Database into CRM Database
Hi, I would just like to know if it is possible to tranfer my current database into the Adventure Works Database(and if so how) or is it used just for a few records for testing purposes. You help will be highly appreciated... there is a redeployment tool on support.microsoft.com/downloads under microsoft crm. This may help you. -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Rock619" <rodger@intervigil.com> wrote in message news:5728edd40161d2cca1c0e079cfd86665@localhost.talkaboutsoftware.com... > Hi, > > I would just like to know if it is pos...

MS CRM E-mail rule deployment wizard, failed to save the rule to t
MS CRM E-mail rule deployment wizard,deploy rule user mailboxes-->next --> Get following error, failed to save the rule to the user's mailbox There is only one user which gets this error. The user has an email addréss and admin rights and in AD and in CRM system(system administrator) he is also placed in MS CRM deployment masager as a user Is the user having multiple server inbox rules? I remember reading a post on the limit on the number of rules. "RickardModigh" <RickardModigh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1537F15-0D0C-4112-BD86-246C...

importing dataset beyond 256 columns
Might anyone be aware of a Q article on this issue? Arturo The third hit I got searching on "256" returned this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272729 -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Arturo" <Arturo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EAC3053-0079-4DD7-B1B8-F2EFA9BDD21D@microsoft.com... | Might anyone be aware of a Q article on this issue? | | Arturo ...

how to start a database
hi guys, i want to start a database on excel 2000, i never had to do this before, and i know this can be done. i just dont know where to start from ! what i want to do is, it is a racing club, i want a listing of all pilot and a sheet where we can enter the number of the car(all pilot info need will be transfer) for final result of the race.(right now they enter the car no, name , city at every race at every registration, if he is register to 3 race they do the process 3 time.) like in access went we create the database and after the query, that what i want to do in excel. any tip or link...

Possible to trigger rules from MSN through VBA?
I understand that it is not possible to apply rules to email that comes in from MSN. In my case, my Outlook 2003 knows about two email sources, a POP3 account and an MSN account. Is it possible to write a VB macro that, upon delivery of an MSN email message, transfers that email message to the top of the POP3 email tree and have the rules execute on it from there? -- Richard Lewis Haggard www.Haggard-And-Associates.com ...

Use query from another database
Hi In the code below is there a way that qryOrderHistory could be in a separate database. If so how would i refer to it in the code. Thanks Dim db As DAO.Database Dim qd As DAO.Querydef Dim rs As DAO.Recordset Set db = CurrentDb Set qd = db.QueryDefs("qryOrderHistory") qd.Parameters("prmCustNo") = lngCustNo Set rs = qd.OpenRecordset() If Not rs.Eof Then .... code to populate an excel spreadsheet Change your 'Set db = CurrentDb' line to something like the following .. Set db = DbEngine.OpenDatabase("full path and name of target MDB here") -- ...

Database Queries with database views, that base on many database t
I created 2 database views. Each of them uses 256 database tables. From every database table only one column is used in the select list of the view. Every database table has one column which is used for the join. Each database table has 5 rows. The database tables have not any foreign keys and indexes. Both views works fine. When I use the database views in a query like this: SELECT v1.*, v2.* FROM v1, v2 WHERE v1.id=v2.id I should get 5 rows with 512 columns in the resultset. But I get the following error from the SQL-Server (after about 5 minutes): Msg 8621, Level 17, State 2...

suppress printing a repeating value in a column
In an Excel worksheet, how do you suppress printing a repeating value. For example, one hundred rows have the same date and I want the date value to print on a break only. Excel really isn't made to easily work with page breaks. Page breaks depend on the printer (which depends on what the user chooses). It can get pretty messy pretty fast. If you're willing to just show the first value and hide the duplicates (no matter where they occur, you could use conditional formatting--like Debra Dalgleish shows at: http://contextures.com/xlCondFormat03.html#Duplicate I've seen users ...

Impact of changing database column width?
Hi, We are a software product company and are planning to begin using the Contract Administration module. To do so, we will be switching our inventory items from Track: None to Track: Serial Numbers and we will be storing our software license keys in the Serial Number field which is column SERLTNUM in table SOP10201. Unfortunately, SERLTNUM is CHAR(21) and our license keys are a few characters wider than 21. We can get the keys down to 21 characters by removing three embedded hyphens, but there are several databases outside of GP where the license keys must still exist with...

Set Database in Excel
In Microsoft article 183446 under method 2, it refers to using "Set Database" on the Data menu. I am using Excel 2002 (the article says it applies to Excel 2002), but Set Database does not appear in my Data menu. Is this an error? It's an error due, I think, to very old menu structures. The article says that the information applies to everything from version 5.0 (1995) through 2003, inclusive. But I believe that the Set Database menu item disappeared from the Data menu as of Excel 97. And one has long defined a name using the Insert menu, not the Formula menu. But my rapidl...

upgraded from MSSQL 2000 to MSSQL 2005 now database's users have
Hello. I updated the MSSQL 2000 server to MSSQL 2005 server now the database's users have no login names. I found a way to list orphaned users sp_change_users_login 'Report' but it only listed dbo and there are actually five listed with MSSQL Server Management Studio Express. I tried this sp_change_users_login 'update_one', 'RPS', 'RPS' but I get the following error the user name 'RPS' is absent or invalid. Any ideas? Try with Auto_Fix instead; see the example at the end of the following article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/...

Repeat columns across worksheets
I have a workbook with 4 worksheets, and the first 3 columns of each worksheet should be the same, and be 'driven' by the first/main worksheet. If I add something to Cols A,B,C on sheet1, I want it on Sheets 2,3,and 4. Right now I'm using a very kludgey IF formula to copy the contents if there are any. Please enlighten me-- I've scoured the help files ad infinitum. I'd also like the header for each worksheet to be the same. Right now I'm just copying the header cells but it seems there is probably a better way. Thank--Jim I suppose that we get data from A to B eithe...

Client access problem after databases restoration
Hello! Recently we had a problem with an Exchange 2003 Back-End server with 6 mailbox store distributed thru 4 SG, and we lost the databases because the SAN's disks partitions were deleted by mistake. So, we had to do a restore from a backup, but when we could not mount the stores, so we used eseutil /p command, and after, eseutil /d, and then isinteg -s servername -fix -test alltests. We could mount the stores, users can use email. The problem now is that we have some users that could not access their mailbox thru Outlook, and when we try to move to another store, we receive an ...

database or other software?
I need help with the following situation: I want to create files or a database that will contain information about my clients, with their business information (i.e address, phone, fax, type of business, in which states they do business) to send an invitation to bid on a construction project. I want , where a database would fill out the information automatically on the bid invitation, then fax, or email the invitation to each selected clients according to their specialty. Then I will need to keep track of who answers my invitations in order to "weed out" clients who do...

Copying data from 205 columns to 1 column
Hi, I am using Excel 2007 and have a table that has 205 columns and 15 rows. I want to copy the data of the 15 rows of every column under Column A with a blank row between the data of every column. Example: A B C A1 B1 C1 A2 B2 C2 A3 B3 C3 B1 B2 B3 C1 C2 C3 I appreciate if somebody can help with this. If this question has been posted before, please direct me to the post. Thanks, Zuo Assume your source data as described is in Sheet1, in A1:A15 across by 205 cols ie 15 rows x 205 cols In another sheet, Put this in any startcell, say ...

Crosstab column data count
I have a crosstab query with Well Name as row heading , site visit Dates as column headings (formatted as "yyyy"), and averaged water level measurements data as the values. The column headings range from 2004-2010 and some wells have no measurements during some of these years. I need to create a dataset from the crosstab that shows total number of years for which each well has data. My attempts at changing the column headings and values around to accomplish this have been futile. Please help. Post your crosstab SQL. -- Build a little, test a little. "tmb...

Form in another database
How can I check if an Access form is open or loaded when the form is in another Access application (mdb or nde file). Alex ...