Cannot drag a shape

Hello,
I'm using Visio 2003. I cannot drag a shape from the shapes Windows unto the
drawing. However I can copy and paste it there. But once it's there, I can
only resize it but not drag it anywhere. Any ideas? Seems like there is a
protection or shape lock somewhere. I've been through all the menus and
couldn't figure it out.
Thanks in advance.
0
JuMan (1)
5/13/2008 8:57:02 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

On Tue, 13 May 2008 13:57:02 -0700, Ju-Man
<JuMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>I'm using Visio 2003. I cannot drag a shape from the shapes Windows unto the
>drawing. However I can copy and paste it there. But once it's there, I can
>only resize it but not drag it anywhere. Any ideas? Seems like there is a
>protection or shape lock somewhere. I've been through all the menus and
>couldn't figure it out.
>Thanks in advance.

Does this happen in other programs as well? What about selecting a
block of text with the mouse, does that work? Does any other drag and
drop operation have problems?
I'm presuming that this is a new installation of Visio.

a. Check that you have the latest video drivers for your machine.
b. Reduce any hardware acceleration - Control Panel -> Display

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electrical for Visio          http://www.electrical.sandrila.co.uk/

select object and either right click, find protection in sub-menu or go to
menu at top of screen to find it

"Ju-Man" <JuMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I'm using Visio 2003. I cannot drag a shape from the shapes Windows unto
> the
> drawing. However I can copy and paste it there. But once it's there, I can
> only resize it but not drag it anywhere. Any ideas? Seems like there is a
> protection or shape lock somewhere. I've been through all the menus and
> couldn't figure it out.
> Thanks in advance.

0
ds-mail (25)
5/16/2008 1:47:13 PM
On Fri, 16 May 2008 09:47:13 -0400, "Doug.S" <ds-mail@comcast.net>
wrote:

>check help file for "protection"
>
>select object and either right click, find protection in sub-menu or go to
>menu at top of screen to find it

But that would only affect the shape once it was on the diagram.

--
On 16 mei, 20:59, Paul Herber <SubstituteMyFirstNameH...@pherber.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2008 09:47:13 -0400, "Doug.S" <ds-m...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >check help file for "protection"
>
> >select object and either right click, find protection in sub-menu or go t=
> >menu at top of screen to find it
>
> But that would only affect the shape once it was on the diagram.
>
> --
> Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
> Electrical forVisio=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0http://www.electrical.sandrila.co.uk=
/

I had the same problem. I cannot drag and drop objects in Visio. I can
however copy paste or resize them. I can also move the object with the
cursos. However I found out that I also could not move my desktop
icons anymore. Logout - login did not work but a reboot did the job
for me.

Check if a shape is in visible area
Hi, I need to know if a specified shape is in the visible page area or if the user need to scroll to see the specified shape. Exists there a property (VBA) to check this out? Best Regards from Munich Christian Hello from Seattle. You can test a shape for visibility in a window by comparing the shape's BoundingBox to the window's ViewRect. The sample code below checks the first shape on the active page, and scrolls it to the center of the page if it is not fully visible. Hope that helps! -Jason --- Sub CheckVisibility() Dim WinLeft As Double, WinTop As Double Dim W As...

Drag n' Drop emails to a Java application
Hi, We are developing a Java application where we want to import information received in e-mails. The email client are Outlook 2003 (at least for now). The best way would be to be able to drag the e-mail to the Java app and then access/parse the e-mail in the Java app. I have searched the web but can not find anything useful. Do I have to use COM and/or OLE for doing such operations? Please help me!! Best Regards Joacim ...

Drag and drop with CRichEditCtrl
I have an application that makes heavy use of the rich edit control. One of the things I needed to do was to customize text when it is pasted or dropped onto the rich edit control. This wasn't too hard to do: I have an object implementing IRichEditOleCallback attached to the rich edit, and in the QueryAcceptData() method I modify the data as needed before adding it to the control. My problem comes with drag and drop, specifically with the "move" drop operation. Following the MSDN documentation, my QueryAcceptData() method returns S_FALSE to indicate that it's processed the d...

dragging array UDFs
Hi I built an array function and it is working well. However when I dra it to other cel regions I got the message "VALUE". The exact formul and the code is below. Thanks for any help. Eduardo Exact formula: {=samLMR(B5:B20;0;0)} Code: x is a sorted array. Public Function samLMR(x As Variant, Optional a As Double = 0# Optional b As Double = 0#) As Variant Dim xmom() As Double Dim xm() As Double Dim sum(8) As Double Dim R As Integer Dim C As Integer Dim ReturnColumn As Boolean R = Selection.Rows.Count C = Selection.Columns.Count n = x.Count n = n - nfails If R < C Then nm...

My Drag Image Flickers
Hi guys, My drag image flickers, I understand the cause of this (I think) but I don't know how to fix it. I use this to auto-scroll during a drag and drop: // in OnTimer() m_pDragImage->DragShowNolock(FALSE); SendMessage(WM_VSCROLL,MAKEWPARAM(SB_LINEDOWN,0),NULL); m_pDragImage->DragShowNolock(TRUE); So since I'm hiding it, then showing it again, it flickers. Can I fix this ? Thanks, Robert A. ...

Drag and Drop Emails
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Email Client: Exchange Within entourage, when I drag and drop an email from my inbox to another folder, it &quot;copy/pastes&quot; it instead of moving it permanently so it stays in the original location where I was trying to move it from. Seems the only way around this is to right click on the email and select &quot;Move to&quot; and then select a folder (but I have dozens of folders and this is not quick at all). <br><br>Is there a way to change my settings so when I drag and drop emails, it's a &am...

Drag Capabilities #2
Guys, I seem to have lost that little plus sign that appears in the right hand bottom corner of the cell that allows for dragging formatting and content onto other cells. Help in the this would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Subodh Help is available in Excel Help. Try the term "fill handle". -- David Biddulph <subodh.mallya@gmail.com> wrote in message news:02f26450-f3a3-4b84-a5f2-a80c1513dd14@v39g2000pro.googlegroups.com... > Guys, > > I seem to have lost that little plus sign that appears in the right > hand bottom corner of the cell that allows for draggin...

drag and drop
I am running Word 07 with Vista. I've lost my "drag and drop" function for moving text in my recent documents. I can select text, but when I click a second time to get the "dragging" arrow, nothing happens and I can't move the text. The option to enable this function under "Advanced" IS checked. I can still cut and paste. I am a freelance editor and have recently installed some templates with macros and add-ins, and I have attached one of them to my normal.dotx for regular use. However, I can't 100% for sure link the problem to that (timi...

How To Show Drag Image while Dragging Item?
I use MFC 4.2. There are 2 CListCtrls in my app. I am implementing a drag and drop function from one list to another. How to show the drag image when I still choose which item that will accept the drop? Thank you. You can use a CImageList and store a drag image. Look at functions like CImageList ::BeginDrag, CImageList::BeginDrag | CImageList::EndDrag | CImageList::DragMove | CImageList::DragLeave. -Seetharam This article may be interesting to you. It's a little older, but it is still useful information: http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/controls/listview/dragdrop...

Visio drags...
After you Draw text box(or any other draw etc tool), you HAVE to click pointer tool if I want to select an arrow(or anything else, or drag multiple objects for that matter). Else it wants to draw more textboxes. after drawing a Text box If, I click on that same text box or another arrow, it should understand that I want to simply SELECT that thing. Left clicking on an existing textbox(and other things) makes it go in edit mode.(different from Publisher and other s/w, where it goes in edit mode AND shows a drag/resize box) So to drag resize in Visio, I have to right click it, press Escap...

Cannot drag a shape
Hello, I'm using Visio 2003. I cannot drag a shape from the shapes Windows unto the drawing. However I can copy and paste it there. But once it's there, I can only resize it but not drag it anywhere. Any ideas? Seems like there is a protection or shape lock somewhere. I've been through all the menus and couldn't figure it out. Thanks in advance. On Tue, 13 May 2008 13:57:02 -0700, Ju-Man <JuMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, >I'm using Visio 2003. I cannot drag a shape from the shapes Windows unto the >drawing. However I can copy and paste i...

Drag and Drop from 2007 Excel and Word File Open and File Save win
One one of our Windows XP SPK3 computers were running Office 2007. When ever your using Word or Excel and you use either the File Open or File Save commands and the Windowed Dialog Box appears with your file and folder listings it will not let you move or drag and drop a file from one location to another. Lets say you have 3 Sub Folders in My Documents ( Folder 1, Folder 2 and Folder 3 each containing files.) You notice while in the File / Open or File / Save Dialog Box window that their are several files which currently reside in the My Documents folder but should be in say ...

How to draw custom shapes in a CListCtrl Control?
Hi all, I want to draw shapes in a CListCtrl control, and these shapes are not retrieved from a CImageList object. Therefore, I need to set/get each item's region(i.e., rectangle area), but I can't find anywhere to do this job. Could anyone to help me? Many thanks. David Hopper I don't know why you need the regions, but either way, look at owner draw listctrl There are a couple of exmples here: http://www.codeguru.com/listview/index.shtml Ali R. "��־��" <davidhopper2003@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uHcEEG1uDHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi all, ...

strange issue with drag and drop target window
hi there i am implementing drag n drop in my app using the COleDataSource/ COleDropSource/COleDropTarget classes everything is going well, but there is one strange thing going on one of my target windows is a plain ole CWnd-derived window, which has some child buttons created on it dynamically - i register a COleDropTarget object for the CWnd-derived parent window, but *not* for any of the child button windows when i try to drag onto this window, the COleDropTarget instance that was registered for the window only gets its OnDragEnter/OnDragOver/ OnDragLeave/OnDrop methods called when the m...

How to drag data in cells without dragging the formats
As I wrote in the subject box, how can I just drag the data without changing the borders and formats etc. in the original and destination cells? I know the hold down the control button trick, but for the people that don't even want to do that, is there a way to drag and drop the normal way? Teach then to rightclick on the autofill button and drag. When they let go, they'll see a bunch of options. (and someday, they may want a different one!) David P. wrote: > > As I wrote in the subject box, how can I just drag the data without changing > the borders and formats etc. i...

Dragging Across
I am trying to drag information across a row but skip a column inbetween. for example my data is in columns A1,B1,C1,D1, E1 and i want to be able to put my cursor on a random cell in row 1 and have it bring back cell A1, then a blank cell, then cell B1, then another blank cell, then C1 and a blank, and so on. Everytime I do it, I get A1, then blank then C1, then blank, then E1...and i cant figure it out!! -Yasmeen If you're also starting in column A, then this formula will work: =IF(MOD(COLUMN(),2)=0,"",INDEX(1:1,(COLUMN()+1)/2)) Bob Umlas Excel MVP "Yasmeen" &...

How do you make a Visio shape with multiple positions? (Like a swi
Stencil "EE - Switches and Relays" have a number of shapes that have multiple positions. You drag and drop a switch, then you can right click on the switch to select whether you want it OPEN/CLOSED. When you select, the shape changes to match the selection. How do you make shapes like this? How do you create the menu options? I would like to either modify existing shapes or start from scratch. I cannot find any description of how to do this in the online help. I am using MS-Visio 2000 Technical and MS-Visio 2003 Pro. these are called 'multishape' and you might start ...

Drag and drop stops working after a few hundred drags
Drag and drop stops working after a few hundred drags. I use the COleDataSource object to initiate the drag and a custom class object deriving from COleDropTarget to receive the drop. Everything works fine until a few hundred drags later, when all of a sudden, an exception is thrown, and my OnDragOver, OnDragDrop, OnDragEnter functions do not get called anymore at all. After investigating further, i noticed that it seems as though my window control is not "registered" anymore to as a drop target, because when calling Revoke and Register again on the DropTarget object, it starts ...

Drag-Drop
I'm using Outlook 2007 but have tested it with Outlook 2003. I'm not sure why but I can't drag-drop from Outlook to another application. For example: I want to drag-drop an email message from Outlook to Outlook Express. Doesn't work. I *can* drag the message to my desktop and the drag the message from the desktop to Outlook Express, but directly from Outlook to Outlook Express. We have a customer written application that is drag-drop enabled and the same thing happens. We want to drag a pdf file from an email (an attachment) to our application. It doesn't work dire...

Inserting a picture into a shape
Hello All - I need help inserting a picture into an autoshape. I know it can be done but can't remember how I did it. The steps I remember are to go into Format Shape and then click on the picture tab but in this case the picture tab isn't active for me to click on. Anybody have any suggestions? -- Thank you, KDill Select the autoshape, fill, fill effects, picture tab. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "KDill" <KDill@discussio...

drag and drop
i cant drag a folder to another folder is this just another bug in the product or am I doing something wrong Not a bug, a design limitation. You can select all the messages in that folder and do a mass move to a different folder. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "POW" <POW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:9FE0E1CD-5F85-46EB-AA08-D00FC505F678@microsoft.com... >i cant drag a folder to another folder is this just another bug in the=20 > product or am I doing something wron...

How change text of some shape acting on personalized properties of the shape in which they are grouped
This is what I do: 1.Create two text shape named Sheet1 e Sheet2 2.Groupe text shape named Sheet1 e Sheet2 in Shape100 3.Define two string personalized properties of Sheet100 named Test1 e Text2 This what I would like: 1. Create a Macro in Visio VBA on click event of Ok button of Sheet100 personalized properties form in such a way that I can copy value of personalized properties Sheet100 Text1 and Text2 into text shape named Sheet1 e Sheet2 Is it possible? If yes, how? Otherwise what's the alternative? Thanks 1000 Mosca ...

Auto shapes in excel 2002, SP-2
Have an excel worksheet with an "Autoshape" inserted. I want to delete the inserted shape. Excel Help states that I should select the shape and press Delete. Sounds simple, but when I do nothing happens, the shape is still there. The worksheet is not protected. I have tried to insert an Autoshape in a new worksheet and then delete it. Same thing happens, nothing. Question: How do I get rid of an Autoshape in an Excel 2002, SP-2 worksheet?? Thanks Bill If multiple, press F5, click special, select objects and press delete. Otherwise just select the autoshape and press delete...

Prevent dragging cell contents
I am trying to prevent dragging cell contents in a form. I cleared "Allow cell drag and drop check box" under Tools. But it works in only one computer. If I use the same form in a different computer, it is not working. Need help. Thanks. ...

shapes
I closed the shapes pallete window by clicking the x. how do i get the thing back? common sense would dictate it be in the view menu somewhere. What version of Visio? In 2002, View>Task Pane will pull up the overview of all stencils. To restore individual stencils, File>Stencils> access the files you need. If you've already used shapes in your saved drawing, File>Stencils>Document Stencil will open the master stencil containing every shape you've used. Other than that, I'm not sure how to restore a "palette". Randall Arnold "Mojoala" ...