can't resize a text box basic

I am creating some software flow diagrams.  I add a box and try to add
some text. I want the text to be on the box but it ends up being
really long and   I can't figure out how to re-size it.  It ends up
being too long.  It disappears when I go back to working with the
box.  When I go to text mode then the text box is too long but I can't
figure out how to delete it or resize it to fit on my box.  Then I go
back to the shape mode and the text box disappears.

tia,
0
jlrough (56)
6/2/2008 7:07:59 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Hello J,

Have a look at this post:

http://blogs.msdn.com/visio/archive/2006/08/15/694710.aspx

If you haven't come across the ShapeSheet before you might be interested in
this post as well:

http://visualsignals.typepad.co.uk/vislog/2007/10/just-for-starte.html

Hope that helps.

Best regards

John

John Goldsmith
www.visualSignals.typepad.co.uk
www.visualSignals.co.uk

"JRough" <jlrough@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am creating some software flow diagrams.  I add a box and try to add
> some text. I want the text to be on the box but it ends up being
> really long and   I can't figure out how to re-size it.  It ends up
> being too long.  It disappears when I go back to working with the
> box.  When I go to text mode then the text box is too long but I can't
> figure out how to delete it or resize it to fit on my box.  Then I go
> back to the shape mode and the text box disappears.
>
> tia,

On Jun 2, 2:44 pm, "John Goldsmith"
<FirstName.LastN...@visualsignals.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello J,
>
> Have a look at this post:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/visio/archive/2006/08/15/694710.aspx
>
> If you haven't come across the ShapeSheet before you might be interested in
> this post as well:
>
> http://visualsignals.typepad.co.uk/vislog/2007/10/just-for-starte.html
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Best regards
>
> John
>
> John Goldsmithwww.visualSignals.typepad.co.ukwww.visualSignals.co.uk
>
> "JRough" <jlro...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >I am creating some software flow diagrams.  I add a box and try to add
> > some text. I want the text to be on the box but it ends up being
> > really long and   I can't figure out how to re-size it.  It ends up
> > being too long.  It disappears when I go back to working with the
> > box.  When I go to text mode then the text box is too long but I can't
> > figure out how to delete it or resize it to fit on my box.  Then I go
> > back to the shape mode and the text box disappears.
>
> > tia,

Hi John
Please help me.  I looked at the shapes that automatically fit text
boxes .  I found something that might work.
The side line call-out box has an line on it that I can't seem to
delete?

What I really want is all the boxes in software diagraming like
procedures,flow-chart shapes etc.
How do I make the text labels fit in those boxes.  Usually it is only
a few words.  It seems like it should just stay put in the box.  Not
create a gigantic long box that doesn't fit inside what I'm trying to
label.  I just want a simple label inside the box.
 Visio Standard did this in the past.
tnx,
0
jlrough (56)
6/3/2008 12:08:16 AM
On Jun 2, 2:44 pm, "John Goldsmith"
<FirstName.LastN...@visualsignals.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello J,
>
> Have a look at this post:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/visio/archive/2006/08/15/694710.aspx

I will read this one, it seems this is what I'm missing.  The
shapesheet seems to be an added complexity.
tnx,

0
jlrough (56)
6/3/2008 12:10:26 AM
Hello J,

Glad to hear that helped.  You might also like to look at this video :
http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC101324451033
which deals with the whole text/shape area.

> On Jun 2, 2:44 pm, "John Goldsmith"
> <FirstName.LastN...@visualsignals.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hello J,
>>
>> Have a look at this post:
>>
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/visio/archive/2006/08/15/694710.aspx
>>

> I will read this one, it seems this is what I'm missing.  The
> shapesheet seems to be an added complexity.
> tnx,

Text To Date Conversion
Hi I run Excel 2000 I download information from a mainframe into Excel. In cell F5 the data looks like this: 19.11.2007 This is formatted as text and is left aligned. When I try to reformat it to a date (19/11/2007) it does not change. I would like to have a formula in cell N5 that changes the original data to a datevalue. (eg: 19/11/2007) Thanks If column F contains a lot of the "date" values, then you could: Data|Text to columns Fixed width (but don't have any separator lines!) choose Date (dmy order) and finish up Then give the range the date ...

How can I make the find dialog box appear as soon as I open a spr.
I have a spreadsheet that needs to be used down in the plant area where people don't know very much about computers. I'm trying to make it easier for them by letting them just have to open the spreadsheet through a shortcut and then I'm hoping that I can just have the find dialog box pop up right away without them doing anything so that they can just find what they are looking for. It's a very large spreadsheet so it would be very helpful for them to be able to do this. Is this possible? You would need a macro for that it also means that they have to enable macros wh...

Body text on Outlook 2003
Dear All, I have a problem, that when I have installed MS Office2003, I cant see the body message of any new email!! this is very strange. Best regards, Moh'd Yassin ...

Color Coding Text in Calender
I have trouble with color coding my text in Calendar. My calender is from Aug. 2003 - Dec. 2004. I am attempting to color the activities of each staff member. I get half way through the calendar and the text of all the calendar changes to purple. I've tried it several times and now I'm frustrated. PLEASE SOMEONE...HELP ME! Hi - Maybe split the calendar into several files, since it seems to work part way through... M. >-----Original Message----- >I have trouble with color coding my text in Calendar. My >calender is from Aug. 2003 - Dec. 2004. I am attempting ...

problem with resizing
Hi! I'm writing a MDI application. Child window is splitted in three panes. In the one pane I've got a FormView with some buttons. How to do, that this FormView was in the center of a pane (even during resizing )? And the second problem, how to do, that during resizing, splitters dividing window were always in the same places? Please, help me. I would be appreciate. bart ...

Text Highlighting in Yellow (2000) ???
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C600B3.07A33400 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable People, Is there a way to highlight text in yellow...in Publisher 2000. This is such a basic text function...available in *Word* for example...& = they can't provide this? Thanks, mark4man ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C600B3.07A33400 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transiti...

Cascading combo boxes for project
Hi, I am making a generic spreadsheet for a project that I am doing. I have linked a list of drugs in one column with the relevant strength of tablets of each of these drugs. I would like to also link the dose of drug required in another column so that when I choose a specific drug, I can also choose a relevan strength and a relevant dose. For example: DRUG - Abacavir FORMULATION - 200mg tablets or 625mg tablets DOSE - 4mg/kg twice daily. I am struggling to link the relevant dose to the drug. I have used th Indirect method to link the drug names and formulations. Hope you can help!...

Formula to return text
Need some help here. I am using excel 2007 and I am merging cells - I cannot figure out a formula to give me the text in 91 columns below the previous text. Ex. Cell G7 = Unbalanced Cell G95 = NVAA What formula can I use to get me the text out of cell G95 using cell G7. Ex G7+what= NVAA(G95). Thanks. Maybe =OFFSET(G7,88,0) -- HTH Bob "casinel1" <casinel1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEBF975E-7D02-48DC-836C-5E7A11C27389@microsoft.com... > Need some help here. I am using excel 2007 and I am merging cells - I > canno...

Having trouble with combo boxes.
Is it possible to to use Multiple Combo Boxes to narrow down choices for specfic data in a worksheet? Example: User Selects from choices in Combo Box 1, the choice from that gives the choices for Combo Box 2, which gives you the choices for Combo Box 3? All the Data to fill Combo Box 3 is in an excel worksheet in the same workbook as the User Form. I have the worksheet set up as named ranges "CLLI_GA", etc... Combo box 1 = Customer (Approx 8 customers) Combo box 2 = State (Approx 9 States) Combo box 3 = Office (400 Offices per State) I got the first...

Moving. Want to number boxes and inventory contents of boxes
Using Excel in MS Office 2003. I'm moving household. Will have approx 200 boxes Want to record the number of each box, contents of each box and the room it will go into in the new house. For instance I'd like to be able to do a search and locate the box which has a black wood skirt is in. i.e. Bedroom #1 Box 8: 10 Skirts 5 Blouces 15 Slacks I'm a novice at Excel and would appreciate any help you can give. Hi Cari i think excel wouldn't be the best program to use for your wishes. I would recommend MSAccess to you. There you could setup diffrent tables for rooms, bo...

Count number of checked boxes on a form
I would like to add a textbox (txtCheckedForms) that shows the number of checkbox fields are checked on a form. Is there a simple way of doing this? The only thing I've come up with so far is something like this... If chkField1 = True then varCheckedForms = varCheckedForms + 1 if chkField2 = True then varCheckedForms = varCheckedForms + 1 .... ifchkField50 = True then varCheckedForms = varCheckedForms + 1 txtCheckedForms = varCheckedForms The problem is, I have about 50 checkbox fields on my form. That would take a long time and a lot of space! Also, the fields aren't actually ...

text list
I have the following list: AAA AAA AAA XXX XXX BB AAA XXX BB BB XXX and I'd like to transform in this: AAA XXX BB in others words, I want to group all cells of a column by value in another column. Any ideas? One way: Select the column. Choose Data/Filter/Advanced Filter. Select Copy to another location, and check the Unique items only, and select a location to put your list. In article <eMldrtOiHHA.4288@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, "Edson" <ebertini@fecomercio.com.br> wrote: > I have the following list: > > AAA > AAA > AAA > XXX > XXX >...

text size changes in IE
I recently changed from using OE to Outlook XP for my email. It is working fine, but the text size is changing in IE 6, from small to medium. No matter how many times I reset it to small, as soon as I open Outlook XP, IE changes to the medium size text for browsing. Is there any way to change this?? Thanks ...

Text box in Embedded chart is cut off
Hi. I am having a problem with an embedded chart that appears differently in word versus how it appeared originally in Excel. Specifically, the top of the chart (in excel) has a text box that divides the chart (it is a vertical bar graph) into subcategories (labels at the bottom are used to specify what each bar signifies; but these are taken from the associated cell range). Originally, the chart was labeled by a single text box, separated by spaces: Lifetime Use 30-Day Use Heavy Use Antisocial Behavior When this chart is linked in word, the text displays like this (tho&...

Run a query based on user input to a text box
I am creating a database to manage Auction Bids for a live radio station phone auction weekend. I have a form where the user is entering names as the bidders call in. I want to be able to have entry into a text box cause a query to run and populate a list box so that if a caller has been entered before, the user can click on an existing name. So for example, if the first keystroke is A , then the list box will be populated with all names beginning with A. If the next keystroke is l to give Al then the list box will be repopulated with only names beginning with Al (e.g. Alice, Aliso...

Strikethrough effect on text
Is there a strikethrough effect for text similiar to Word, vs just drawing a line and laying it over the text. Thank you. After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Tedo <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > Is there a strikethrough effect for text similiar to > Word, vs just drawing a line and laying it over the text. There is no Strikethrough effect, you have to draw a line and layer it. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/discla...

Spellcheck includes reply or forward text
I gradually have become aware that Outlook is now including the original message text in spellcheck when I reply or forward. However, the "Ignore original message text in reply or forward" option is checked on the Spelling tab in Options. I'm running Outlook 2003. What's up with this? Bryan If you're using the option to prefix plain-text replies with a character (like >) then the original will get checked "Bryan L" <blinton.nospam@connellinsurance.nospam.com> wrote in message news:uxpZHuT5FHA.3908@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... >I gradually ha...

Disabling Esc and Enter in a Modeless dialog box
I am having a dailog based application in which another dialog is embedded as a child.The settings of this dialog are child with no border and visible. The child dialog is created using the "Create" function of CDialog and hence is modeless. On press of Esc or Enter the dialog gets destroyed. I want to override this normal behaviour. How can this be done? !!! Thanks & regards, Senthil a couple possibilities. 1. change the accelerator key definitions to remove those key mappings 2. override the onok and oncancel member functions of cdialog and make yours not call the cdialog ...

resizing problems
I am using OpenGL in my MFC app. The problem is when I resize the window from the left or top border the whole scene of my OpenGL moves even before my OnPaint event handler is called and when my OnPaint is called after this it repaints the scene so this produces a flicker. If, however I resize the window from the right or bottom border this problem doen't occur. Can anybody please tell me what is happening? Thank you ...

Colored text in Windows Explorer
When running a "search for files" in Windows Explorer most files are shown in black but some are shown in blue. What is the significance of the blue files? I am running WinXP Home Edition with SP3. Compressed files are Blue. Encrypted files are green. "PSRumbagh" <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45444E11-4354-4D15-AB96-DDF8995BD0F7@microsoft.com... > > When running a "search for files" in Windows Explorer most files are shown > in > black but some are shown in blue. What is the significance of the b...

basic settings
How do I set the folder/file option to remain the date it was created? Everytime I 'look' at a file or folder, it updates it with the current date. Unless I actually change something in it....and save it on that date....I want the date to remain the date it was originally created/saved. ...

Text #3
In Cell A1,2 ,3 ect i have the following info 12345BO 1234BO 123456BO How do i convert these in Cells B1, 2, 3 etc to : 012345 001234 123456 To create a 6 figure number with the BO dropped off? in column b put this formula find(a1,"BO",1) in column c put this formula mid(a1,1,b1-1) format the c column to numbers "Dava Sutts" wrote: > In Cell A1,2 ,3 ect i have the following info > > 12345BO > 1234BO > 123456BO > > How do i convert these in Cells B1, 2, 3 etc to : > 012345 > 001234 > 123456 > > To create a 6 figure number with th...

Bitmap resize on same DC
I am a little be confused! I have a custom control with a bitmap inside I create the bitmap with this code ************************************************* CClientDC dc(this) ; if (m_dcGrid.GetSafeHdc() == NULL) { m_dcGrid.CreateCompatibleDC(&dc) ; m_bitmapGrid.CreateCompatibleBitmap(&dc, m_nClientWidth,m_nClientHeight) ; m_pbitmapOldGrid = m_dcGrid.SelectObject(&m_bitmapGrid) ; } ************************************************ and in OnPaint i have: ************************************************ CPaintDC dc(this) ; // device context for painting CDC memDC ; CBit...

Repeated error dialogue box in Outlook 2000
I'm using Outlook 2000 as part of Office 2000. Recently I started to get repeated error messages "Microsoft Outlook has encounterered a problem and needs to close...". The message appears a few minutes after opening Outlook. I tried Inbox repair and this didn't stop it so I reinstalled from the CD also without success. I then uninstalled from the CD and reinstalled and this seemed to work for a couple of days and then the message re-appeared. The strange thing is that if I ignore the message Outlook keeps working normally. I thought that the problem might be a fai...

ListView item text overlaps in small icon mode with XP themes enabled
If XP themes are enabled ( using an application manifest), item text in the ListView control overlaps other items in small icon view. With themes disabled, the next item is drawn at the end of the text of the earlier item. However, with themese enabled, the items are drawn as if aligned to a grid and this causes items to be drawn in overlapped manner which obviosuly looks horrible. What might be the problem? Bob ...