Basic Network Monitor

Visio provides a wonderful environment for me as an IT Manager to inventory 
the infrastructure I am responsible for.   My diagrams have grown over the 
years and include a whole lot of "dumb" items (notes on cable runs; 
mini-hubs: etc) as well as inteligent devices (Cisco routers & switches; 
servers; etc).  Because of the effort I've put into this product it has 
become one of my primary management tools.

What I'm after now is to take it to the next level and provide dynamic 
status of some (not all) of these elements.  I need to indicate if a link is 
up by showing a distant device is alive or not through color (red for down; 
green for up).  This is pretty basic stuff and I have seen in these forums 
some discussions involving scripting, however, I don't have a knowledge of 
scripting and don't have the budget to hire somebody to build and maintain a 
solution like this.

I've looked at some other products but they are either way too complicated 
or are pitched at mapping rather than monitoring.  I think for my 
requirements basic ping with some services/ports monitoring would be more 
than sufficient.  Alerting would be nice but historical analysis isn't a 
requirement.  The reason for this is that in a small to medium enterprise my 
SLAs are based on "is it up?" not "how often is it down?".  Al I need to know 
is what are my current issues so I can see what needs to be resolved.

If there is a commercial product out there or an add-on then please inform 
us in this forum.  Otherwise please seriously consider including such a basic 
addition to the Visio network functions.

regards, Mike Smith

smith@tandr.com.au

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the 
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I 
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this 
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then 
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=46d384b0-9b74-448a-bbda-be260e680915&dg=microsoft.public.visio
0
Smith1 (93)
2/2/2007 6:34:00 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

5 Replies
345 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 37

Take a look at this post: 
http://blogs.msdn.com/visio/archive/2006/12/01/microsoft-office-visio-2007-released.aspx

Visio 2007 has the ability to dynamically change the diagram in the ways you 
describe.  To make it work, you need a database or Excel spreadsheet to pull 
refreshable data from.  You need some tool to scan the status of your 
network and push the information into a database.  Then Visio can go from 
there.

-- 
Mark Nelson
Office Graphics - Visio
Microsoft Corporation

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Mike Smith" <Mike Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:46D384B0-9B74-448A-BBDA-BE260E680915@microsoft.com...
> Visio provides a wonderful environment for me as an IT Manager to 
> inventory
> the infrastructure I am responsible for.   My diagrams have grown over the
> years and include a whole lot of "dumb" items (notes on cable runs;
> mini-hubs: etc) as well as inteligent devices (Cisco routers & switches;
> servers; etc).  Because of the effort I've put into this product it has
> become one of my primary management tools.
>
> What I'm after now is to take it to the next level and provide dynamic
> status of some (not all) of these elements.  I need to indicate if a link 
> is
> up by showing a distant device is alive or not through color (red for 
> down;
> green for up).  This is pretty basic stuff and I have seen in these forums
> some discussions involving scripting, however, I don't have a knowledge of
> scripting and don't have the budget to hire somebody to build and maintain 
> a
> solution like this.
>
> I've looked at some other products but they are either way too complicated
> or are pitched at mapping rather than monitoring.  I think for my
> requirements basic ping with some services/ports monitoring would be more
> than sufficient.  Alerting would be nice but historical analysis isn't a
> requirement.  The reason for this is that in a small to medium enterprise 
> my
> SLAs are based on "is it up?" not "how often is it down?".  Al I need to 
> know
> is what are my current issues so I can see what needs to be resolved.
>
> If there is a commercial product out there or an add-on then please inform
> us in this forum.  Otherwise please seriously consider including such a 
> basic
> addition to the Visio network functions.
>
> regards, Mike Smith
>
> smith@tandr.com.au
>
> ----------------
> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow 
> this
> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=46d384b0-9b74-448a-bbda-be260e680915&dg=microsoft.public.visio 


0
marknel (439)
2/4/2007 1:42:40 AM
Mike,
As Mark mentions, 2007 has the functionality to link to a data source. The 
real challange here is to have an application that can gather what you want 
to monitor and not put your network/components into meltdown. The standard 
products out there (HP, Tivoli, CA, etc.) have a lot of safeguards under the 
covers to protect users from themselves and are usually run on dedicated 
servers so that they don't impact production applications. This stability 
comes at a cost. The standard consulting response is usually "clients want 
three aspects in a solution "good, cheap, and pretty; unfortunately you only 
get two out of three". Visio is pretty, now as a manager you must make the 
decision on the other two.
If you don't want to develop one of your own, look for something that can 
gather the information you want and stores it in a data store that can be 
queried.
Al
"Mike Smith" <Mike Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:46D384B0-9B74-448A-BBDA-BE260E680915@microsoft.com...
> Visio provides a wonderful environment for me as an IT Manager to 
> inventory
> the infrastructure I am responsible for.   My diagrams have grown over the
> years and include a whole lot of "dumb" items (notes on cable runs;
> mini-hubs: etc) as well as inteligent devices (Cisco routers & switches;
> servers; etc).  Because of the effort I've put into this product it has
> become one of my primary management tools.
>
> What I'm after now is to take it to the next level and provide dynamic
> status of some (not all) of these elements.  I need to indicate if a link 
> is
> up by showing a distant device is alive or not through color (red for 
> down;
> green for up).  This is pretty basic stuff and I have seen in these forums
> some discussions involving scripting, however, I don't have a knowledge of
> scripting and don't have the budget to hire somebody to build and maintain 
> a
> solution like this.
>
> I've looked at some other products but they are either way too complicated
> or are pitched at mapping rather than monitoring.  I think for my
> requirements basic ping with some services/ports monitoring would be more
> than sufficient.  Alerting would be nice but historical analysis isn't a
> requirement.  The reason for this is that in a small to medium enterprise 
> my
> SLAs are based on "is it up?" not "how often is it down?".  Al I need to 
> know
> is what are my current issues so I can see what needs to be resolved.
>
> If there is a commercial product out there or an add-on then please inform
> us in this forum.  Otherwise please seriously consider including such a 
> basic
> addition to the Visio network functions.
>
> regards, Mike Smith
>
> smith@tandr.com.au
>
> ----------------
> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow 
> this
> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=46d384b0-9b74-448a-bbda-be260e680915&dg=microsoft.public.visio 


0
edlund1 (616)
2/5/2007 11:08:55 AM
saw a demo of tying v2007 to MOM that looked interesting,
al

"Al Edlund" <edlund@ameritech.net> wrote in message 
news:uN%23LKYRSHHA.996@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Mike,
> As Mark mentions, 2007 has the functionality to link to a data source. The 
> real challange here is to have an application that can gather what you 
> want to monitor and not put your network/components into meltdown. The 
> standard products out there (HP, Tivoli, CA, etc.) have a lot of 
> safeguards under the covers to protect users from themselves and are 
> usually run on dedicated servers so that they don't impact production 
> applications. This stability comes at a cost. The standard consulting 
> response is usually "clients want three aspects in a solution "good, 
> cheap, and pretty; unfortunately you only get two out of three". Visio is 
> pretty, now as a manager you must make the decision on the other two.
> If you don't want to develop one of your own, look for something that can 
> gather the information you want and stores it in a data store that can be 
> queried.
> Al
> "Mike Smith" <Mike Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:46D384B0-9B74-448A-BBDA-BE260E680915@microsoft.com...
>> Visio provides a wonderful environment for me as an IT Manager to 
>> inventory
>> the infrastructure I am responsible for.   My diagrams have grown over 
>> the
>> years and include a whole lot of "dumb" items (notes on cable runs;
>> mini-hubs: etc) as well as inteligent devices (Cisco routers & switches;
>> servers; etc).  Because of the effort I've put into this product it has
>> become one of my primary management tools.
>>
>> What I'm after now is to take it to the next level and provide dynamic
>> status of some (not all) of these elements.  I need to indicate if a link 
>> is
>> up by showing a distant device is alive or not through color (red for 
>> down;
>> green for up).  This is pretty basic stuff and I have seen in these 
>> forums
>> some discussions involving scripting, however, I don't have a knowledge 
>> of
>> scripting and don't have the budget to hire somebody to build and 
>> maintain a
>> solution like this.
>>
>> I've looked at some other products but they are either way too 
>> complicated
>> or are pitched at mapping rather than monitoring.  I think for my
>> requirements basic ping with some services/ports monitoring would be more
>> than sufficient.  Alerting would be nice but historical analysis isn't a
>> requirement.  The reason for this is that in a small to medium enterprise 
>> my
>> SLAs are based on "is it up?" not "how often is it down?".  Al I need to 
>> know
>> is what are my current issues so I can see what needs to be resolved.
>>
>> If there is a commercial product out there or an add-on then please 
>> inform
>> us in this forum.  Otherwise please seriously consider including such a 
>> basic
>> addition to the Visio network functions.
>>
>> regards, Mike Smith
>>
>> smith@tandr.com.au
>>
>> ----------------
>> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the 
>> "I
>> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow 
>> this
>> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and 
>> then
>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=46d384b0-9b74-448a-bbda-be260e680915&dg=microsoft.public.visio
>
> 


0
edlund1 (616)
2/8/2007 11:21:02 AM
Sorry Al, what is "MOM"?

"Al Edlund" wrote:

> saw a demo of tying v2007 to MOM that looked interesting,
> al
> 
> "Al Edlund" <edlund@ameritech.net> wrote in message 
> news:uN%23LKYRSHHA.996@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> > Mike,
> > As Mark mentions, 2007 has the functionality to link to a data source. The 
> > real challange here is to have an application that can gather what you 
> > want to monitor and not put your network/components into meltdown. The 
> > standard products out there (HP, Tivoli, CA, etc.) have a lot of 
> > safeguards under the covers to protect users from themselves and are 
> > usually run on dedicated servers so that they don't impact production 
> > applications. This stability comes at a cost. The standard consulting 
> > response is usually "clients want three aspects in a solution "good, 
> > cheap, and pretty; unfortunately you only get two out of three". Visio is 
> > pretty, now as a manager you must make the decision on the other two.
> > If you don't want to develop one of your own, look for something that can 
> > gather the information you want and stores it in a data store that can be 
> > queried.
> > Al
> > "Mike Smith" <Mike Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> > news:46D384B0-9B74-448A-BBDA-BE260E680915@microsoft.com...
> >> Visio provides a wonderful environment for me as an IT Manager to 
> >> inventory
> >> the infrastructure I am responsible for.   My diagrams have grown over 
> >> the
> >> years and include a whole lot of "dumb" items (notes on cable runs;
> >> mini-hubs: etc) as well as inteligent devices (Cisco routers & switches;
> >> servers; etc).  Because of the effort I've put into this product it has
> >> become one of my primary management tools.
> >>
> >> What I'm after now is to take it to the next level and provide dynamic
> >> status of some (not all) of these elements.  I need to indicate if a link 
> >> is
> >> up by showing a distant device is alive or not through color (red for 
> >> down;
> >> green for up).  This is pretty basic stuff and I have seen in these 
> >> forums
> >> some discussions involving scripting, however, I don't have a knowledge 
> >> of
> >> scripting and don't have the budget to hire somebody to build and 
> >> maintain a
> >> solution like this.
> >>
> >> I've looked at some other products but they are either way too 
> >> complicated
> >> or are pitched at mapping rather than monitoring.  I think for my
> >> requirements basic ping with some services/ports monitoring would be more
> >> than sufficient.  Alerting would be nice but historical analysis isn't a
> >> requirement.  The reason for this is that in a small to medium enterprise 
> >> my
> >> SLAs are based on "is it up?" not "how often is it down?".  Al I need to 
> >> know
> >> is what are my current issues so I can see what needs to be resolved.
> >>
> >> If there is a commercial product out there or an add-on then please 
> >> inform
> >> us in this forum.  Otherwise please seriously consider including such a 
> >> basic
> >> addition to the Visio network functions.
> >>
> >> regards, Mike Smith
> >>
> >> smith@tandr.com.au
> >>
> >> ----------------
> >> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> >> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the 
> >> "I
> >> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow 
> >> this
> >> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and 
> >> then
> >> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=46d384b0-9b74-448a-bbda-be260e680915&dg=microsoft.public.visio
> >
> > 
> 
> 
> 
0
MikeSmith (1)
2/9/2007 1:25:00 AM
Mike,
MOM is the microsoft operations manager server. If I might digress for a 
moment, one of the components that is often looked for in a monitoring 
solution is status aggregation (or drill down). This allows the user to have 
a high level diagram (such as a map of the u.s.) to show multiple sites, 
that can drill down to a site view, that can drill down to a rack view. The 
demo shown at the Office2007 launch demonstrated using v2007 to show the 
status information and how an indvidual nodes status could be "percolated" 
through the different levels of detailing.
Like I mentioned in a previous post, at a macro level these types of 
challanges have the two parts of gathering the status information and 
displaying it. MOM would satisfy the status gathering. In my particular 
scenario I have a third portion which is site discovery which adds another 
interesting challange because I have to create the drawing dynamically.
al
"Mike Smith" <MikeSmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:5F76C298-B9AF-4681-9D58-90C6D86B3247@microsoft.com...
> Sorry Al, what is "MOM"?
>
> "Al Edlund" wrote:
>
>> saw a demo of tying v2007 to MOM that looked interesting,
>> al
>>
>> "Al Edlund" <edlund@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>> news:uN%23LKYRSHHA.996@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> > Mike,
>> > As Mark mentions, 2007 has the functionality to link to a data source. 
>> > The
>> > real challange here is to have an application that can gather what you
>> > want to monitor and not put your network/components into meltdown. The
>> > standard products out there (HP, Tivoli, CA, etc.) have a lot of
>> > safeguards under the covers to protect users from themselves and are
>> > usually run on dedicated servers so that they don't impact production
>> > applications. This stability comes at a cost. The standard consulting
>> > response is usually "clients want three aspects in a solution "good,
>> > cheap, and pretty; unfortunately you only get two out of three". Visio 
>> > is
>> > pretty, now as a manager you must make the decision on the other two.
>> > If you don't want to develop one of your own, look for something that 
>> > can
>> > gather the information you want and stores it in a data store that can 
>> > be
>> > queried.
>> > Al
>> > "Mike Smith" <Mike Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > news:46D384B0-9B74-448A-BBDA-BE260E680915@microsoft.com...
>> >> Visio provides a wonderful environment for me as an IT Manager to
>> >> inventory
>> >> the infrastructure I am responsible for.   My diagrams have grown over
>> >> the
>> >> years and include a whole lot of "dumb" items (notes on cable runs;
>> >> mini-hubs: etc) as well as inteligent devices (Cisco routers & 
>> >> switches;
>> >> servers; etc).  Because of the effort I've put into this product it 
>> >> has
>> >> become one of my primary management tools.
>> >>
>> >> What I'm after now is to take it to the next level and provide dynamic
>> >> status of some (not all) of these elements.  I need to indicate if a 
>> >> link
>> >> is
>> >> up by showing a distant device is alive or not through color (red for
>> >> down;
>> >> green for up).  This is pretty basic stuff and I have seen in these
>> >> forums
>> >> some discussions involving scripting, however, I don't have a 
>> >> knowledge
>> >> of
>> >> scripting and don't have the budget to hire somebody to build and
>> >> maintain a
>> >> solution like this.
>> >>
>> >> I've looked at some other products but they are either way too
>> >> complicated
>> >> or are pitched at mapping rather than monitoring.  I think for my
>> >> requirements basic ping with some services/ports monitoring would be 
>> >> more
>> >> than sufficient.  Alerting would be nice but historical analysis isn't 
>> >> a
>> >> requirement.  The reason for this is that in a small to medium 
>> >> enterprise
>> >> my
>> >> SLAs are based on "is it up?" not "how often is it down?".  Al I need 
>> >> to
>> >> know
>> >> is what are my current issues so I can see what needs to be resolved.
>> >>
>> >> If there is a commercial product out there or an add-on then please
>> >> inform
>> >> us in this forum.  Otherwise please seriously consider including such 
>> >> a
>> >> basic
>> >> addition to the Visio network functions.
>> >>
>> >> regards, Mike Smith
>> >>
>> >> smith@tandr.com.au
>> >>
>> >> ----------------
>> >> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>> >> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click 
>> >> the
>> >> "I
>> >> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, 
>> >> follow
>> >> this
>> >> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
>> >> then
>> >> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>> >>
>> >> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=46d384b0-9b74-448a-bbda-be260e680915&dg=microsoft.public.visio
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>> 


0
edlund1 (616)
2/9/2007 12:50:08 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Problem opening publisher files over a network
I am having trouble opening publisher files over a local network. I can open other office documents contained within the same folders as those I cannot open. Suggestions? This is not an antivirus issue... I've turned them off and tried... Copy the file to your local hard drive and try again. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "LJinViroqua" <LJinViroqua@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:090FBB11-B0DA-4A38-8224-3E9EB3A...

ADFS basics
Hey all, I'm using (trying) to use ADFS to logon to my SAML 2.0 parter. In essence I would like to use AD as my source of truth. Unfortunately, I'm having some issues with my logoff and trying to troubleshoot. One super basic question, the directory /adfs/ls which is used as my logoff URL (and logon URL) has a default document setup as default.aspx which does not exist. Question 1: How does pointing to the adfs/ls directory alert ADFS to which action I'd like to perform? It obviously works but I'm not sure how ADFS know whether to pop a logon screen or go...

Visual Basic Macros, relative position
Dear Experts, I am making a report, and I have a set of data, in a very looong row: MKT_VAL NET_ASSETS TOT_ASSETS 46 51 51 6233 6228 6228 Over 100 fields. I need this data to be changed to run down a column. MKT_VAL 46 6233 NET_ASSETS 51 6228 TOT_ASSETS 51 6228 I tried to make a macro to do this. It would be run after I copied and pasted the three column cells into another area. Sub ShiftNullData() ' ' ShiftNullData Macro ' Macro recorded 11/14/2006 by Rodger Lepinsky ' ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+q ' Range("A18").S...

Basic Visual Basic
I want to learn VB for Excel, but I need to know a good free site for help and to read up on it. Can anyone help me? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi as a starting point: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I want to learn VB for Excel, but I need to know a good free site for > help and to read up on it. Can anyone help me? > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Sorry
Hi guys, apologies for such a basic question. In my defence I'm not really a c++ programmer, and when I have dabbled, I've used MFC. I've got a call to an external DLL I'm using LoadLibrary to get. I've declared the call as : lpFUNCTION MyFunc(CString p1, CString p2, short* retVal, CString* retText) if I call it : short retVal; CString retText; iRet = MyFunc ("123456", "12345678", &retVal, &retText); - it works fine. Unfortunately this DLL is being called from a non-MFC app. So I;ve tried : lpFUNCTION MyFunc(char[] p1, char p2, short* ...

Cannot find network neigberhood for XP?
I am using XP with SP3, and cannot find my netowork neigberhood, which disappear on my desktop, does anyone have any suggestions on how to locate it? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0BDA67E4-7E39-42C2-B8C5-0220D1146A98@microsoft.com... >I am using XP with SP3, and cannot find my netowork neigberhood, which > disappear on my desktop, does anyone have any suggestions on how to locate > it? > Thanks in advance for any suggestions > Eric Right-click on your desktop, pick Prope...

MSP VBA Basic Help Needed!
I'm trying to add common text names from a Text Column in MSP-07. I'm using Rod Gill's book to learn VBA for Office and primarily MSP and have also emailed him specifically about whether or not MSP-07 is even capable of accomplishing the simple report I'm needing. Basically I have a column (Text26) with some specific verbage which will be standardized and used for several real schedules in our standard template with our company. The verbage is simply: * Early Delivery * Late Delivery * On-Time Delivery * Not Delivered The verbage is calculated as a formula...

Basics
I'm new to the DDK. I just d/l the WinDDK 7600.16385.1 and I'm trying to use the WinDbg. So I took the sample "tracedrv" (WINDDK\7600.16385.1\src\general\tracing\tracedrv), builded it and try to run tracectl.exe with the WinDbg, using "File->Open Executable" option. I set the Symbol File Path to tracectl.exe path, where "tracectl.pdb" is. I'm getting the message "*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. ", and can't see it in Source Mode. When I run the program, I don't see the trace messages of the driver (KdPrint...

Clip Organizer
We�re using a cannon IR C3380 Serial network scanner via M/S clip organiser to scan images.( add clips to organiser). The Problem is with one user is there is NO folder in clip organiser under "my collections" called "colour network scangear V2.x". There is a folder �Scanner�. in this case, the ScanGear tool detects the scanner using Microsoft Clip Organiser the preview function works but after clicking scan the images are nowhere to be seen. Network Scanning is performed by clicking �File � add clips to organizer � via scanner or camera� After scan...

basic System Policy question
If I understand this correctly System Policies are really only useful in cases with multiple information stores (Enterprise version only) so that settings can be set for all of them in one central place. Can settings set in a System Policy be overridden at a lower level like an individual information store itself, or an individual user account? Or do System Policies rule no matter what, no overrides? System Policies are Enforced (No-Override) at Store level or Server level. However, individual user account settings can override Store level setting, including System Policies settings. ...

Basics
I am responsible for producing a yearly 180-page catalog for the company that I work for. In the past, we used a production house to lay out the pages and then send PDF's to our printer. We want to eliminate the production house and do everything in house - sending the PDF's ourselves to the printer. I know nothing about publisher 2003 and am having trouble finding any books (especially entry level) to help me learn the application. Any suggestions? Lots of help on the Microsoft web site, a good course in catalog creation Publisher Courses http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/traini...

basic formulas
where can i find a generic listing of what certain things in formulas mean? (ie. a comma) Try clicking on the cell that contains the formula, then click on the "=" button next to "Formula Bar"...this will bring up a box that explains a little bit about the function and show what each section should contain. Some functions are more complex than others so try clicking on the "Help" button inside this new box. This will open up Excel Help about the specific function that you're using I've found that using the Help function in Excel is very...helpful (fo...

Monitoring question.
Hello, We are in the final phase on exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003 migration. We have one admin group and two routing groups that came with the migration from 5.5 (two old sites). We are using Monitoring and notification feature in ESM to monitor one of the servers in the remore site. The problem we are having is that it always shows as unreachable with a check ared check mark next to it. Is this a WAN issue? RPC issue?... Thanks Pretty sure the monitoring is using the WMI service to check the status of items in here. Here's an article that lists some common causes of having a s...

Excel 2007, Basic, Square-1 Opening Question
Clicking on an xls or an xlsx file opens Excel 2007; however, the file itself does not load/open (no blank sheet either). Only way is to drag the file from its directory. What have I done wrong? Tks! Wayne Try minimizing and then maximizing Excel to see if that makes the file appear. If it does, I'll build a small routine that does that automatically when a file is opened. This appears to be a very frequent problem for some Excel 2007 users. Bob Flanagan <wgd.roaming@verizon.net> wrote in message news:9jg3b49oe5t308vjcngefg41f5htajrm2r@4ax.com... > Clicking on an ...

How to center a web page on the monitor vs. left aligned?
Hi there. I currently use Microsoft Publisher to send out e.mail flyers to my customers. Everytime I send out a flyer it appears in the left hand of the message. Can I change this so it appears in the centre of the message?? Also do you know how to change the background colour of the message page?? I'm omnly just learning this programme so please be clear on instructions. Best Regards Mick Emery Publisher webs are fixed width and left justified by default, and though we have figured out how to center the pages dynamically in a web page, I am fairly confident that the method would...

"The operation failed due to network or other communication problems. Check your connections and try again"
"The operation failed due to network or other communication problems. Check your connections and try again" I'm getting this error message on a number of my computers. It will display part of the screen in the top left corner with this message. When i click ok it continues to open the email without any problems. I had found a solution that requires me to removed some Registry Entrys and then do a Detect and Repair on Microsoft Outlook which hasen't solved the problem. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Windows XP Professional Microsoft Office 2000 w/ SP3 Internet Mail a...

Two basic questions
How to use either the ClassWizard or the Add Member Variable Wizard to add member variables of type like, "long","double", or "int", to the controls on a dialog box? On the dialog of the Add Member Variable Wizard, there is a Combo Box named "Category", which has two options: Value and Control. What's purpose of "Control" option? Thanks for your help! jianbao wrote: > How to use either the ClassWizard or the Add Member Variable Wizard to add > member variables of type like, "long","double", or "int",...

How can I determine whether the selection is a network machine?
I am using SHBrowseForFolder dialog to let users select network machines. I provide two options: directly select or use EditBox. The problem is: if I only BIF_BROWSEFORCOMPUTER parameter, the OK button is working fine (gray until a network machine is selected); but because I also use BIF_EDITBOX, the OK button is not working as it is supposed to be. So my question is: how to disable the OK button when there is no user input or the selection is not a network machine? If the solution is to enable the OK button when the selection is a network machine (using the callback function), how can I dete...

Back to basics
Hi As a new user of Outlook but an old user of Outlook Express I have a couple of questions Scheduling - I run a business that is not reliant on times so when I go to put someone's recurring appointment into my system I get conflict and adjoining meeting messages The start / finish times are irrelevant but I do forward project their visits at 4 weeks/6 weeks or whatever as recurring My question is can I make a 'timeless' appointment and not worry about the start time/duration whilst still being able to use the recurring feature? Regards Stephen West Gold Coast, Australia only if...

Loading Adventure Networks Database fails
I am following the instructions page 331 to load the Adventure Networks database. I am running on an absolutely fresh Win2003 SBS and have followed all the instructions. A couple of problems (referring to the bullets in the manual): 2. My Administrator account has domain and local admininstrator privileges and was used to install MS CRM. MS CRM works perfectly. So far so good. 7. I cannot confirm that the five users were created? Why is that? What should I do about it? 10. After entering URL I get an error: That I do not have a MS CRM license??? Help, - Jakob Jakob, ...

Basic Basic question
Hi, I have recently taken over our SBS2003 server and amongst out MS ACtion Pack Subscription are 5 CD Micrsoft CRM 1.2 Cd's 1-5. I would like to try this software, but I cannot find any information on it so I have a few questions. 1. In testing it, I assume that I need to install itonto my SBS2003 server - is there any other way - i have no spare machines, apart from a couple of workstations. 2. Is the a copy of the programme since it doesn't have the usual yellow Product key other of the CD's have, or does it take the Key from SBS2003? 3. Am i going to screw anything up if...

when clicking on sync, network disconnects & wants to redial
in windows 7, windows live mail version 2009... just changed browser from Internet Explorer to Firefox... now my live mail has a tendency to disconnect the existing network connection and redials... sometimes keeps doing that. Does not automatically go get my new messages like it used to. So if i sync, it disconnects and redials a new connection? Go to Tools, Accounts, select your mail account, Properties, Connection. What does it show for connection? You should leave that setting unselected, in which case Windows Live Mail will use whatever connection IE uses. Also, under To...

i have office basic 2003,does IRM work with basic?
i have office basic 2003,does IRM work with basic? and how do i get it to work Office basic? Standard Edition? Small Business Edition? Small Business Management Edition? IRM? Information Resource Management? "Oola" <Oola@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B52FCE24-0C62-4D47-9F0B-548290487BEE@microsoft.com... >i have office basic 2003,does IRM work with basic? and how do i get it to >work Information Rights Management depends on having a Windows 2003 server with the IRM bits installed. Since Office Basic comes with OEM computers, I will presume tha...

virtual basic error
Every time I close Outlook 2003, I get the following error message: The macros in this project are disabled. Please refer to the online help or documentation of the host application to determine how to enable macros. This is under a heading of "Microsoft Visual Basic." This happens every time I close Outlook, though Outlook seems to function perfectly otherwise. What can i do to stop this message from popping up? ...

Network Path Not Found
I'm using Exchange Administrator to connect to a Exch 5.5 server across a firewall. Every time I open a mailbox, there is a long wait and I get an error message: The network path was not found. Microsoft Windows NT ID no: 0xc0020035. I can click 'ok' and get into the mailbox. It allows me to perform some functions, such as setting alternate recipients and hiding the mailbox, but all of the information on the General tab is greyed out. I can't change First Name, Last Name, Display Name or any of the other fields. Also, I'm using an account with Service Account Admin pr...