Wizard in MFC !! (How do I design one?)

Hello All,

I have to start working on a 'Wizard' which will be developed as an MFC
extension DLL for an existing MFC application.

I was thinking about how the design of the wizard should be. Currently I am
planning to create a dialog, and put all the common UI elements like Next,
Back buttons and a left pane which shows all the steps with the currently
active step highlighted in it.

Now, the main viewing area of the wizard will have to change its contents
based on which step of the wizard the user is currently in. I am planning to
put all the controls which are required in all steps in there, and show/hide
them dynamically when user clicks Next button or Back button.

MFC experts, please comment on this kind of an apporach, and also let me
know if there is a better way around to design a wizard...!

Thanks In Advance!!
Jessy
0
Jessica (74)
12/6/2007 11:54:00 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

    Take a look at the CPropertySheetEx and CPropertyPage MFC classes.

Cheers
Check Abdoul
---------------------

"Jessica" <Jessica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> I have to start working on a 'Wizard' which will be developed as an MFC
> extension DLL for an existing MFC application.
>
> I was thinking about how the design of the wizard should be. Currently I
> am
> planning to create a dialog, and put all the common UI elements like Next,
> Back buttons and a left pane which shows all the steps with the currently
> active step highlighted in it.
>
> Now, the main viewing area of the wizard will have to change its contents
> based on which step of the wizard the user is currently in. I am planning
> put all the controls which are required in all steps in there, and
> show/hide
> them dynamically when user clicks Next button or Back button.
>
> MFC experts, please comment on this kind of an apporach, and also let me
> know if there is a better way around to design a wizard...!
>
> Thanks In Advance!!
> Jessy

0
Check
12/6/2007 1:28:03 PM
"Jessica" <Jessica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> I have to start working on a 'Wizard' which will be developed as an MFC
> extension DLL for an existing MFC application.
>
> I was thinking about how the design of the wizard should be. Currently I
> am
> planning to create a dialog, and put all the common UI elements like Next,
> Back buttons and a left pane which shows all the steps with the currently
> active step highlighted in it.
>
> Now, the main viewing area of the wizard will have to change its contents
> based on which step of the wizard the user is currently in. I am planning
> put all the controls which are required in all steps in there, and
> show/hide
> them dynamically when user clicks Next button or Back button.
>
> MFC experts, please comment on this kind of an apporach, and also let me
> know if there is a better way around to design a wizard...!
>
> Thanks In Advance!!
> Jessy

MFC does most of it for you, in a better way.  See
CPropertySheet::SetWizardMode

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
Scott
12/6/2007 2:36:15 PM
Here's an article to go with what Check and Scott replied:

http://www.dotnetheaven.com/Uploadfile/bulentozkir/pp_wizard04212005064904AM/pp_wizard.aspx?ArticleID=c9495c38-5107-4f20-b3c9-e561e4451775

Tom

"Jessica" <Jessica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> I have to start working on a 'Wizard' which will be developed as an MFC
> extension DLL for an existing MFC application.
>
> I was thinking about how the design of the wizard should be. Currently I
> am
> planning to create a dialog, and put all the common UI elements like Next,
> Back buttons and a left pane which shows all the steps with the currently
> active step highlighted in it.
>
> Now, the main viewing area of the wizard will have to change its contents
> based on which step of the wizard the user is currently in. I am planning
> put all the controls which are required in all steps in there, and
> show/hide
> them dynamically when user clicks Next button or Back button.
>
> MFC experts, please comment on this kind of an apporach, and also let me
> know if there is a better way around to design a wizard...!
>
> Thanks In Advance!!
> Jessy

0
tom.nospam (3240)
12/6/2007 5:19:52 PM
Thank you very much, Check, Scott and Tom!
CPropertySheet!! This is what I was looking for!!

-Jessy

"Jessica" wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have to start working on a 'Wizard' which will be developed as an MFC
> extension DLL for an existing MFC application.
>
> I was thinking about how the design of the wizard should be. Currently I am
> planning to create a dialog, and put all the common UI elements like Next,
> Back buttons and a left pane which shows all the steps with the currently
> active step highlighted in it.
>
> Now, the main viewing area of the wizard will have to change its contents
> based on which step of the wizard the user is currently in. I am planning to
> put all the controls which are required in all steps in there, and show/hide
> them dynamically when user clicks Next button or Back button.
>
> MFC experts, please comment on this kind of an apporach, and also let me
> know if there is a better way around to design a wizard...!
>
> Thanks In Advance!!
> Jessy
0
Jessica (74)
12/7/2007 5:12:01 AM
Hello Scott,

Can I create a dialog, implement a left pane which displays the steps of the
wizard with the currently active step highlighted, and then put the
ProperySheet in the main area of the dialog? Or can I only display the
Propertysheet standalone in a frame?

Thanks again,
Jessy

"Scott McPhillips [MVP]" wrote:

> "Jessica" <Jessica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I have to start working on a 'Wizard' which will be developed as an MFC
> > extension DLL for an existing MFC application.
> >
> > I was thinking about how the design of the wizard should be. Currently I
> > am
> > planning to create a dialog, and put all the common UI elements like Next,
> > Back buttons and a left pane which shows all the steps with the currently
> > active step highlighted in it.
> >
> > Now, the main viewing area of the wizard will have to change its contents
> > based on which step of the wizard the user is currently in. I am planning
> > put all the controls which are required in all steps in there, and
> > show/hide
> > them dynamically when user clicks Next button or Back button.
> >
> > MFC experts, please comment on this kind of an apporach, and also let me
> > know if there is a better way around to design a wizard...!
> >
> > Thanks In Advance!!
> > Jessy
>
> MFC does most of it for you, in a better way.  See
> CPropertySheet::SetWizardMode
>
> --
> Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
Jessica (74)
12/7/2007 5:17:00 AM
Hello Tom,

"Tom Serface" wrote:

> Here's an article to go with what Check and Scott replied:
>
> http://www.dotnetheaven.com/Uploadfile/bulentozkir/pp_wizard04212005064904AM/pp_wizard.aspx?ArticleID=c9495c38-5107-4f20-b3c9-e561e4451775
>
> Tom
>
> "Jessica" <Jessica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I have to start working on a 'Wizard' which will be developed as an MFC
> > extension DLL for an existing MFC application.
> >
> > I was thinking about how the design of the wizard should be. Currently I
> > am
> > planning to create a dialog, and put all the common UI elements like Next,
> > Back buttons and a left pane which shows all the steps with the currently
> > active step highlighted in it.
> >
> > Now, the main viewing area of the wizard will have to change its contents
> > based on which step of the wizard the user is currently in. I am planning
> > put all the controls which are required in all steps in there, and
> > show/hide
> > them dynamically when user clicks Next button or Back button.
> >
> > MFC experts, please comment on this kind of an apporach, and also let me
> > know if there is a better way around to design a wizard...!
> >
> > Thanks In Advance!!
> > Jessy

0
Jessica (74)
12/7/2007 5:18:00 AM
Maybe one of these ideas would work for you:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/tabs/resizeable_wizard97.aspx

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/tabs/conquering_wizard97.aspx

The nice thing about the property sheet approach is that it really is just
like a bunch of dialogs that sequence.  You can put all kinds of nice
graphics and text on each page to indicate where you are in the sequence.

Tom

> Hello Tom,
>
> Can I create a dialog, implement a left pane which displays the steps of
> the
> wizard with the currently active step highlighted, and then put the
> ProperySheet in the main area of the dialog? Or can I only display the
> Propertysheet standalone in a frame?

0
tom.nospam (3240)
12/7/2007 7:33:51 AM
Take a look at the "FormSwap" article by Paul Dilascia (C++ Q&A) in

                Dec '98   MSJ magazine.

Cheers
Check Abdoul
---------------------

"Jessica" <Jessica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Tom,
>
> Can I create a dialog, implement a left pane which displays the steps of
> the
> wizard with the currently active step highlighted, and then put the
> ProperySheet in the main area of the dialog? Or can I only display the
> Propertysheet standalone in a frame?
>
> Thanks again,
> Jessy
>
> "Tom Serface" wrote:
>
>> Here's an article to go with what Check and Scott replied:
>>
>> http://www.dotnetheaven.com/Uploadfile/bulentozkir/pp_wizard04212005064904AM/pp_wizard.aspx?ArticleID=c9495c38-5107-4f20-b3c9-e561e4451775
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> "Jessica" <Jessica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello All,
>> >
>> > I have to start working on a 'Wizard' which will be developed as an MFC
>> > extension DLL for an existing MFC application.
>> >
>> > I was thinking about how the design of the wizard should be. Currently
>> > am
>> > planning to create a dialog, and put all the common UI elements like
>> > Next,
>> > Back buttons and a left pane which shows all the steps with the
>> > currently
>> > active step highlighted in it.
>> >
>> > Now, the main viewing area of the wizard will have to change its
>> > contents
>> > based on which step of the wizard the user is currently in. I am
>> > planning
>> > put all the controls which are required in all steps in there, and
>> > show/hide
>> > them dynamically when user clicks Next button or Back button.
>> >
>> > MFC experts, please comment on this kind of an apporach, and also let
>> > me
>> > know if there is a better way around to design a wizard...!
>> >
>> > Thanks In Advance!!
>> > Jessy

0
Check
12/7/2007 2:08:16 PM
"Jessica" <Jessica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Tom,
>
> Can I create a dialog, implement a left pane which displays the steps of
> the
> wizard with the currently active step highlighted, and then put the
> ProperySheet in the main area of the dialog? Or can I only display the
> Propertysheet standalone in a frame?

There isn't any way of putting a PropertySheet into another dialog,
unfortunately.  If you want to keep using the PropertySheet (and it is the
easiest way of creating a wizard), then you could make each "interior page"
(all pages except the first and last ones) show an image on the left side of
the page.  This is what the first and last pages have by default.  And the
image you show on the interior pages would have the list of steps, with the
one for the current page highlighted.  But this is harder to localize, since
all of the text in the steps is put into a graphic.

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
12/7/2007 3:06:33 PM
David Ching wrote:
> "Jessica" <Jessica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello Tom,
>>
>> Can I create a dialog, implement a left pane which displays the steps of
>> the
>> wizard with the currently active step highlighted, and then put the
>> ProperySheet in the main area of the dialog? Or can I only display the
>> Propertysheet standalone in a frame?
>>

> There isn't any way of putting a PropertySheet into another dialog,
> unfortunately.  If you want to keep using the PropertySheet (and it is the
> easiest way of creating a wizard), then you could make each "interior page"
> (all pages except the first and last ones) show an image on the left side of
> the page.  This is what the first and last pages have by default.  And the
> image you show on the interior pages would have the list of steps, with the
> one for the current page highlighted.  But this is harder to localize, since
> all of the text in the steps is put into a graphic.

David:

I've never done it, but I think you can put a modeless property sheet
inside a modal dialog (or anywhere).

--
David Wilkinson
Visual C++ MVP

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/dialog/csettingsdlg.aspx

Tom

"David Wilkinson" <no-reply@effisols.com> wrote in message
> David Ching wrote:
>> "Jessica" <Jessica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello Tom,
>>>
>>> Can I create a dialog, implement a left pane which displays the steps of
>>> the
>>> wizard with the currently active step highlighted, and then put the
>>> ProperySheet in the main area of the dialog? Or can I only display the
>>> Propertysheet standalone in a frame?
>>>

>> There isn't any way of putting a PropertySheet into another dialog,
>> unfortunately.  If you want to keep using the PropertySheet (and it is
>> the easiest way of creating a wizard), then you could make each "interior
>> page" (all pages except the first and last ones) show an image on the
>> left side of the page.  This is what the first and last pages have by
>> default.  And the image you show on the interior pages would have the
>> list of steps, with the one for the current page highlighted.  But this
>> is harder to localize, since all of the text in the steps is put into a
>> graphic.
>
> David:
>
> I've never done it, but I think you can put a modeless property sheet
> inside a modal dialog (or anywhere).
>
> --
> David Wilkinson
> Visual C++ MVP

0
tom.nospam (3240)
12/7/2007 3:32:39 PM
I've also done this with tabbed pp and ps on a dialog-based app.  It works
very well.
Here's the OnInitDialog that does it:

BOOL CVMRDialog::OnInitDialog()
{
CDialog::OnInitDialog();

// load the menu
m_menu.LoadMenu(IDR_MAINFRAME);
SetMenu(&m_menu);
m_menu.EnableMenuItem(ID_CHANNEL_CLOSE, MF_GRAYED);

OnChannelNew(); // adds the initial prop -page-

// create the property -sheet-
m_propsheet.Create(this, WS_CHILD|WS_VISIBLE);
m_propsheet.ModifyStyleEx(0, WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT);

// tighten up the size of the main dialog box
// to fit neatly around the prop pages
CMainDlg* pp = (CMainDlg*)m_propsheet.GetActivePage();
RECT rect;

// no need to call ScreenToClient - we're only using
// values for relative sizing
pp->GetWindowRect(&rect);
// get the tab rect so the tab height can
// be accounted for
CTabCtrl* tcp = m_propsheet.GetTabControl();
RECT trect;
tcp->GetItemRect(0, &trect);
SetWindowPos(NULL,
0,0,rect.left+rect.right,rect.bottom+(trect.bottom-trect.top),
SWP_NOZORDER | SWP_NOMOVE | SWP_NOACTIVATE);

return TRUE;
}

And OnChannelNew (a menu selection):

void CVMRDialog::OnChannelNew()
{
CMainDlg *pnewChannel;
pnewChannel = new CMainDlg(this);
if (pnewChannel != NULL)
{
m_chList.insert(m_chList.end(), pnewChannel);
m_chIter = m_chList.end();
m_propsheet.AddPage(pnewChannel);
m_propsheet.SetActivePage(pnewChannel);
if (m_chList.size() > 1)
m_menu.EnableMenuItem(ID_CHANNEL_CLOSE, MF_ENABLED);
}
else //pnewChannel != NULL
{
AfxMessageBox("New Port Create Failed");
}
}

"BobF" <rNfOrSePeAzMe@charter.net> wrote in message
> I've also done this with tabbed pp and ps on a dialog-based app.  It works
> very well.
> Here's the OnInitDialog that does it:
>
> BOOL CVMRDialog::OnInitDialog()
> {
> CDialog::OnInitDialog();
>
> // load the menu
> m_menu.LoadMenu(IDR_MAINFRAME);
> SetMenu(&m_menu);
> m_menu.EnableMenuItem(ID_CHANNEL_CLOSE, MF_GRAYED);
>
> OnChannelNew(); // adds the initial prop -page-
>
> // create the property -sheet-
> m_propsheet.Create(this, WS_CHILD|WS_VISIBLE);
> m_propsheet.ModifyStyleEx(0, WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT);
>
> // tighten up the size of the main dialog box
> // to fit neatly around the prop pages
> CMainDlg* pp = (CMainDlg*)m_propsheet.GetActivePage();
> RECT rect;
>
> // no need to call ScreenToClient - we're only using
> // values for relative sizing
> pp->GetWindowRect(&rect);
> // get the tab rect so the tab height can
> // be accounted for
> CTabCtrl* tcp = m_propsheet.GetTabControl();
> RECT trect;
> tcp->GetItemRect(0, &trect);
> SetWindowPos(NULL,
> 0,0,rect.left+rect.right,rect.bottom+(trect.bottom-trect.top),
> SWP_NOZORDER | SWP_NOMOVE | SWP_NOACTIVATE);
>
> return TRUE;
> }
>

> And OnChannelNew (a menu selection):
>
> void CVMRDialog::OnChannelNew()
> {
> CMainDlg *pnewChannel;
> pnewChannel = new CMainDlg(this);
> if (pnewChannel != NULL)
> {
> m_chList.insert(m_chList.end(), pnewChannel);
> m_chIter = m_chList.end();
> m_propsheet.AddPage(pnewChannel);
> m_propsheet.SetActivePage(pnewChannel);
> if (m_chList.size() > 1)
> m_menu.EnableMenuItem(ID_CHANNEL_CLOSE, MF_ENABLED);
> }
> else //pnewChannel != NULL
> {
> AfxMessageBox("New Port Create Failed");
> }
> }

Hey, neat!  But does it look good?  I'm not sure how the property sheet
header (the area at the top of each page which has the icon and boldface
subtitle) would look if that was spread across the property sheet child
wndow and not across the entire dialog?

Thanks,
David

0
dc2983 (3206)
12/7/2007 4:50:02 PM
If you're interested, I'll post a screenshot somewhere layer today or
tomorrow.

> If you're interested, I'll post a screenshot somewhere layer today or
> tomorrow.

Sure, it would be interesting to see.  I think maybe your technique would be
better suited to non-Wizard 97 compliant wizards without the banner on top.

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
12/7/2007 7:16:28 PM
David - This is what it looks like:

http://home.centurytel.net/bobf/mon.jpg

> David - This is what it looks like:
>
> http://home.centurytel.net/bobf/mon.jpg

Wow, this looks great.  I wanted to do something similar recently but ended
up sticking with a normal CTabCtrl.  How did you get rid of the buttons on
the bottom which normally appear in a CPropertySheet?  Also, for the record,
this really isn't a wizard, it is a PropertySheet but not used in wizard
mode, it is the mode with the tabs across the top.  So that's why there is
no white banner on top to worry about.

Cheers,
David

0
dc2983 (3206)
12/8/2007 6:10:46 PM
Hi Bob,

I think that looks great.  Thanks for sharing.  Did you do this with a tab
control rather than a property sheet?

Tom

"BobF" <rNfOrSePeAzMe@charter.net> wrote in message
> David - This is what it looks like:
>
> http://home.centurytel.net/bobf/mon.jpg
>

> "David Ching" <dc@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message
>> "BobF" <rNfOrSePeAzMe@charter.net> wrote in message
>>> If you're interested, I'll post a screenshot somewhere layer today or
>>> tomorrow.
>>>

>> Sure, it would be interesting to see.  I think maybe your technique would
>> be better suited to non-Wizard 97 compliant wizards without the banner on
>> top.
>>
>> -- David

0
tom.nospam (3240)
12/8/2007 9:48:56 PM
> "BobF" <rNfOrSePeAzMe@charter.net> wrote in message
>> David - This is what it looks like:
>>
>> http://home.centurytel.net/bobf/mon.jpg
>>

> Wow, this looks great.  I wanted to do something similar recently but
> ended up sticking with a normal CTabCtrl.  How did you get rid of the
> buttons on the bottom which normally appear in a CPropertySheet?  Also,
> for the record, this really isn't a wizard, it is a PropertySheet but not
> used in wizard mode, it is the mode with the tabs across the top.  So
> that's why there is no white banner on top to worry about.
>
> Cheers,
> David

I'm well aware of the fact that it's not a wizard.  I was just demonstrating
that property sheets on dialogs is possible - to decent effect <g>

As far as the buttons go, since this wasn't created with a wizard wizard ...
I simply added a dialog through the resource editor and chose the prop page
type of dialog.  This gives you the ability to make it what ever you want it
to be.

> Hi Bob,
>
> I think that looks great.  Thanks for sharing.  Did you do this with a tab
> control rather than a property sheet?
>
> Tom

CPropertySheet *is* a tabbed dialog:

<http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/614xe086(VS.80).aspx>

> I'm well aware of the fact that it's not a wizard.  I was just
> demonstrating that property sheets on dialogs is possible - to decent
> effect <g>
>
> As far as the buttons go, since this wasn't created with a wizard wizard
> ... I simply added a dialog through the resource editor and chose the prop
> page type of dialog.  This gives you the ability to make it what ever you
> want it to be.

What?  Does your code use CPropertySheet and CPropertyPage or not?  You
can't add either in the resource editor!

Thanks,
David

0
dc2983 (3206)
12/9/2007 3:33:12 PM
> "BobF" <rNfOrSePeAzMe@charter.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm well aware of the fact that it's not a wizard.  I was just
>> demonstrating that property sheets on dialogs is possible - to decent
>> effect <g>
>>
>> As far as the buttons go, since this wasn't created with a wizard wizard
>> ... I simply added a dialog through the resource editor and chose the
>> prop page type of dialog.  This gives you the ability to make it what
>> ever you want it to be.
>>

> What?  Does your code use CPropertySheet and CPropertyPage or not?  You
> can't add either in the resource editor!
>
> Thanks,
> David

It uses obviously them both.  The prop pages are -created- with the resource
editor and -added- programmatically during run-time.

> It uses obviously them both.  The prop pages are -created- with the
> resource editor and -added- programmatically during run-time.

What's throwing me off is the that in a normal CPropertySheet, there are
OK/Cancel/Apply buttons beneath the tabs.  These don't appear in your screen
shot.  How did you hide them?

Thanks,
David

0
dc2983 (3206)
12/9/2007 4:09:54 PM
> "BobF" <rNfOrSePeAzMe@charter.net> wrote in message
>> It uses obviously them both.  The prop pages are -created- with the
>> resource editor and -added- programmatically during run-time.
>>

> What's throwing me off is the that in a normal CPropertySheet, there are
> OK/Cancel/Apply buttons beneath the tabs.  These don't appear in your
> screen shot.  How did you hide them?
>
> Thanks,
> David

m_propsheet.Create(this, WS_CHILD|WS_VISIBLE);
m_propsheet.ModifyStyleEx(0, WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT);

are the lines which create the sheet.  By default, this creates a tabbed
dialog.

To get buttons instead of tabs would require calling SetWizardMode as shown
here:

<http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1sse9730(VS.80).aspx>

> m_propsheet.Create(this, WS_CHILD|WS_VISIBLE);
> m_propsheet.ModifyStyleEx(0, WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT);
>
> are the lines which create the sheet.  By default, this creates a tabbed
> dialog.
>
> To get buttons instead of tabs would require calling SetWizardMode as
> shown here:
>
> <http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1sse9730(VS.80).aspx>

Look at http://www.microsoft.com/msj/0398/c0398.aspx and scroll down mid-way
to Figure 6.  That's what my understanding of a CPropertySheet in non-wizard
mode looks like.  It has the OK/Cancel/Apply buttons.  Are you saying that
if you create the propertysheet with the WS_CHILD style, it doesn't have
those buttons?  If so, that is major cool.

Thanks,
David

0
dc2983 (3206)
12/9/2007 4:40:08 PM
> "BobF" <rNfOrSePeAzMe@charter.net> wrote in message
>>
>> m_propsheet.Create(this, WS_CHILD|WS_VISIBLE);
>> m_propsheet.ModifyStyleEx(0, WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT);
>>
>> are the lines which create the sheet.  By default, this creates a tabbed
>> dialog.
>>
>> To get buttons instead of tabs would require calling SetWizardMode as
>> shown here:
>>
>> <http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1sse9730(VS.80).aspx>
>>

> Look at http://www.microsoft.com/msj/0398/c0398.aspx and scroll down
> mid-way to Figure 6.  That's what my understanding of a CPropertySheet in
> non-wizard mode looks like.  It has the OK/Cancel/Apply buttons.  Are you
> saying that if you create the propertysheet with the WS_CHILD style, it
> doesn't have those buttons?  If so, that is major cool.
>
> Thanks,
> David

:-)) I've shown you everything I did with the prop sheet,
so I guess it *is* 'Major Kool', although I'm not sure it is the
WS_CHILD style that does the trick.  If I understand it correctly,
not setting wizard mode is what does the trick.

David Ching wrote:

> Look at http://www.microsoft.com/msj/0398/c0398.aspx and scroll down mid-way
> to Figure 6.  That's what my understanding of a CPropertySheet in non-wizard
> mode looks like.  It has the OK/Cancel/Apply buttons.  Are you saying that
> if you create the propertysheet with the WS_CHILD style, it doesn't have
> those buttons?  If so, that is major cool.

David:

If you look in "The MFC Answer Book" by Eugene Kain (which is easy for
me because I have a copy sitting on my lap...) there is a whole section
on embedding (non-Wizard) property sheets in a dialog. The example
illustrations do not show the standard property sheet buttons, and I do
not see anything in the example code that removes them.

--
David Wilkinson
Visual C++ MVP
> David Ching wrote:
>
>> Look at http://www.microsoft.com/msj/0398/c0398.aspx and scroll down
>> mid-way to Figure 6.  That's what my understanding of a CPropertySheet in
>> non-wizard mode looks like.  It has the OK/Cancel/Apply buttons.  Are you
>> saying that if you create the propertysheet with the WS_CHILD style, it
>> doesn't have those buttons?  If so, that is major cool.
>
> David:
>
> If you look in "The MFC Answer Book" by Eugene Kain (which is easy for me
> because I have a copy sitting on my lap...) there is a whole section on
> embedding (non-Wizard) property sheets in a dialog. The example
> illustrations do not show the standard property sheet buttons, and I do
> not see anything in the example code that removes them.

That's because they are tabbed by default.  You either get tabs or buttons
:-)

> That's because they are tabbed by default.  You either get tabs or buttons
> :-)

No Bob, with the tabs you get OK/Cancel/Apply buttons, and with Wizard you
get Back/Next/Cancel/Finish buttons.  Either mode you get buttons!

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
12/9/2007 8:00:01 PM
"David Wilkinson" <no-reply@effisols.com> wrote in message
> David:
>
> If you look in "The MFC Answer Book" by Eugene Kain (which is easy for me
> because I have a copy sitting on my lap...) there is a whole section on
> embedding (non-Wizard) property sheets in a dialog. The example
> illustrations do not show the standard property sheet buttons, and I do
> not see anything in the example code that removes them.

Thanks David, I will definitely need to revisit my app and most probably
replace the CTabCtrl with a CPropertySheet then!

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
12/9/2007 8:00:36 PM
> "BobF" <rNfOrSePeAzMe@charter.net> wrote in message
>>
>> That's because they are tabbed by default.  You either get tabs or
>> buttons :-)
>
> No Bob, with the tabs you get OK/Cancel/Apply buttons, and with Wizard you
> get Back/Next/Cancel/Finish buttons.  Either mode you get buttons!

Then why doesn't mine have buttons?  I did nothing to make them go away

filters don't work after combining several spreadsheets into one
Hi! I could use some help with filters. I have a spreadsheet I distributed to others to complete and return to me. Once I got the copies back I combined them into one by copy and pasting the data into one spreadsheet. Now, though, when I try to sort a column to exclude all "N"s not all "N"s are excluded. (data is a variety of yes, y, no, N, yes-dept #'s...) I've tried removing the filters, and re-filtering, but it doesn't work. I've tried selecting a cell ("N") that is not excluded but should be, then filtering on that, but t...

Memory Allocation in a Multithreaded MFC Application
Hello I'm developing a relatively simple MFC application that also uses multithreading. In the program, only one thread besides the main thread gets created and used at a time. This worker thread essentially performs a lot of mathematical computations using matrices and these computations take a bit of time. I'm having a problem with my program now that is driving me crazy and I don't know what the source of the problem is. Inside of the thread, I allocate and deallocate memory in several places. At varying points in the routine, the program crashes during memory allocation...

Accessing Contacts for the Rules Wizard
I have just successfully transferred Outlook 2002 files to a new PC with Oulook 2007, and my emails, contacts, calendars etc have all come over OK. I do have the spurious Personal Folders created when Outlook 2007 was first set up, and cannot get rid of it, but that's not the problem. I have renamed it something else, and the Personal Folders I have transferred remain named as such. I have ensured that arriving emails come into the correct Outlloko ..pst file and thus into the correct Personal Folders. My problem is this: I am trying to set up rules for the diversion of ...

Inbox in Outlook 2003 always shows one unread e-mail
I did a search first, but couldn't find anything that applied to me. We use Outlook 2003 and until today everything was fine. Starting this morning however, my personal Inbox shows that I have one unread e- mail, but there is nothing in there. I have done an advanced find on my entire Mailbox and tried using the Search Folders for Unread Mail with no luck. This is really annoying because no matter how many e- mails I get, it continues to show just the one unread mail. Any help would be great, Richard Could be a Read Receipt. "Richard.M.Henry@gmail.com" wrote: > I did ...

Wizard
I have .txt data that I am selecting and trying to copy into an Excel spreadsheet. When I go to copy the data in, it is just copying in and the wizard is not popping up. Why is this happening??? Hi RTP, If you are not seeing the "paste options" button, which contains a link to the wizard, go to Tools> Options> Edit, check "Show Paste Options buttons." Regards, IanRoy "RTP" wrote: > I have .txt data that I am selecting and trying to copy into an Excel > spreadsheet. When I go to copy the data in, it is just copying in and the > wizard is not ...

CDialog from MFC Static DLL
Dear Friends, I am trying to figure something out and I am stuck. I have created a VS C++ (7.0) Static Linked MFC dll that acts as a custion action to a Microsoft Installer database (MSI 2.0). On of the things that I need the DLL to do is prompt the user for a server name and port if they did not enter it correclty. so I am trying to use a CDialog from inside the DLL. Here are the steps I have taken thus far: 1. Created a Dialog Resouce from the VS resouce editor. 2. Added a class using the VS wizard for the Dialog. 3. Add a button that when pressed displays a message. 4. Add the followin...

MFC Socket listener
Hello everyone, got a quick question here that hopefully someone can help me with. Basically I am having trouble with my Client application which uses MFC CSockets. I currently can only listen to one port (say 4000), and I need to be able to listen to multiple ports. Originally I just set up two listeners (one listening on 4000 another on 4200) but the problem with this is that I need to know which Listener is flagged when I call the OnAccept() method (actually this method is calling another function OnProcessPendingAccept() at which point I need to know which listener got tagged). Basical...

Creating two charts in one
I have two spreadsheets, I would like to create one chart from both spreadsheets. Is it possible to create a chart like this, how do you tell it what range? Thanks in advance for your assistance. Steve - Make the chart with data from one worksheet. Then add data from the other worksheet (can be in a different workbook). There are several ways. One is to copy the data, switch to the chart, and use Paste Special to paste the data into the chart as a new series. Another way is to use the Source Data command on the Chart menu, select the Series tab, click Add, and when you click on the ...

Migration Wizard
Help! I get "Windows SBS 2008 Migration Wizard has stopped working" Problem details are Description: Stopped working Problem signature: Problem Event Name: CLR20r3 Problem Signature 01: migrationwizard.exe When trying to run Mig Wizard on new SBS2008 Server from 2003. Everything else looks OK - email flow, mailboxes, etc. Other tasks in SBS Console run OK. Not sure what is in the Mig Wiz so just want make sure I do everything required! Any ideas much appreciated Hello Neil, Thanks for your post. If you are using the built-in Administrator accou...

Problems with MFC list controls
I have a large list control with many inventory control items displayed within. When someone single clicks on an item, it displays information about that item in another part of the dialog. I have a three-fold problem, the master list has multiple columns in it, in order to make the selection work properly, only column 0 can be selected, is there a way to make a valid row selection if you select an item using any of the other columns? Second issue is the highlight of the selection. Only column 0 in the list control will highlight, is there a way to make the entire row highlight when an...

Linking errors with Building VC6.0 MFC project on VC8.0(VS2005)
System Env: Windows XP SP2 .NET 2.0 I am trying to build a legacy(VC6) MFC application and have managed to resolve most if not all(you see - #pragma to ignore things don't count ) compile time errors and depricated functions. But now i get linker errors all of them complaining about "AddCopyIntRecords.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall CWnd::PostNcDestroy(void)" Here are some project settings that i have used: I am compiling things in Active(Release) mode I am including all the external libraries(just on...

combone data from more that one page
what is the easiest way (if possible)to conduct analysis of data from more than one page consider I have 5identical pages (one for each sales regions) with lots of products in column a and months in row 1 with data in a table is there anyway i can conduct analysis of the 5 sales regions as a whole or by area ideally i would like a pivot that had the regions as a field and the months and products so i can look at the data in anyway poss If you want to create a pivot table from the data, you should store it all on one sheet, if it won't exceed the available number of rows. Before you com...

how do u enter data to different tables from one form
i have 5 tables. their primary key is pers_no. one of them is the master table. they have one to one relation ship with the master table through the primary key. i like to have a form with a text box as pers_no --- i want to enter data in the text box and want all the table to accept that. request u to kindly help me. thank you. Answered in another place where you posted the same q. ...

Error using the Export Database Wizard to export store database in
I'm trying to create a store database for a new store in HQ. When the process is exporting the data, it gets as far as the Item table and I receive the error: Export Database Wizard: An error was encountered while exporting data. Your Store Operations database is not complete and may not work correctly. Error 0: I have tried it twice and I get the same error. Any clue what is going on here? I am using RMS/HQ 2.0 SP1 and SQL Server Standard 2005 SP2 with WinXP SP2 I had this problem shortly after upgrading to 2.0. Running a db re-index then a db check from HQ admin r...

Transfering Outlook messages from one computer to another.
I want to transfer all of emails and folders from my old laptop to the new one. Is it possible? And what is the best way to do it? I am currently using Microsoft Outlook Express 5 to retrieve my email messages from Earthlink onto my current laptop. Hi, Samuel - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these newsgroups: mic...

Rules Wizard Wizards, Get in here!!!!
Hey, i have a users that had set up some rules to foward E- mail from one person to another E-mail box. Now that he no longer needs this rule he has deleted it and since he has turned it off he now gets the Message on how his rules do not match the rules on the server, Who rules would you like to use, The Local machine or the server. Well for the life of me i can not find what is making this message alive and to keep it comming back. What is turned on that should not be!!! I am running Outlook 2002 and Exchange 5.5. Thanks!!! If you have access to the Back Office Resource Kit yo...

Out of Office wizard
How do I get the "out of office wizard" on my outlook? It used to be there on my old computer which was running Windows 98. I have since upgraded to Windows 2000. Hi Stuart, The Out Of Office Assistant is a feature that is only available with the Microsoft Exchange Server service. It is only available when the Microsoft Exchange Server information service is included in your profile, and you are connected to a functional Microsoft Exchange Server. To learn more about this, please refer to Knowledge Base article ID: 196808.KB.EN-US. You can paste the link below in your browser f...

Help does not allow entry in Answer Wizard or Index tab
Hello -- I am using Office 2000 Pro; Excel version is 9.0.6976 SP-3.. If I click a word in VBA, Help displays a help screen about it. However, the top menu bar says "Microsoft Access Help". I have Access on the machine. And, if I click the Answer Wizard or Index tab, the shape of the cursor in any field changes to a horizontal, double-ended arrow. Can anyone tell he how to solve this problem? Thanks for any help. L Mehl --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.572 / Virus Database: 362 - Release Date...

Are there MFC subclasses that give a different "look and feel" to the UI?
I was wondering if there are free implementations of MFC subclasses of windows and controls that give you a different look and feel? I like the Windows 2000 look, but it's quite a bit dated now, and the XP look is hideous for my taste, so I'm looking for something new, more modern looking, sleek. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Franco See if this has something your looking for. http://www.prof-uis.com/ "Franco" <cuminato@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1149800640.987272.304540@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >I was wondering if there are free implementa...

Cannot send from one site to another...
We have four sites (A,B,C and D) in our organization, all connected by T-1 or DSL links. Each site can send mail to any other site EXCEPT D cannot send mail to B. There is no problem with D sending mail to either A or C, just not to B. The mail just sits in a queue until it times out. I turned on Message tracking, and the final entry in the log is SMTP: Message Routed and Queued for Remote Delivery. Can anyone give me any tips on how to proceed to debug this problem? Thanks. OK, the first question is can the servers (or Bridgehead server) in D connect directly to the servers (or bridg...

How to add COM object into a typical mfc app?
I have a mfc app that is not a automation server. Now I want to add a COM object implementing some interfaces with new GUIDs. But when I add class derived from CCmdTarget with automation I get the following message: ClassWizard was unable to add information about this class to your .ODL file because there was no //{{AFX_APPEND_ODL}} line found. You will need to manually edit the .ODL file to add this information. Then the files of class is created. After build and run no registry info is found. I've searched many samples that all use ATL. Should I have to add ATL support to the app? How d...

Add Printer Wizard
Hi All, Can anybody help me out in calling the Windows "Add Printer Wizard" from my MFC code..??.. Thanks in advance. - Vignesh ...

Failed to run Windows Explorer from MFC using ShellExecute.
I use Visual C++ MFC 4.2. I need to run a Windows Explorer if user click a Button on my application. Here is the code: void RunExplorer() { CString sParameter; sParameter.Format( "%s %s", "/n, /e, ", "C:\\ABC\\" ); ShellExecute( GetSafeHwnd(), "explore", "explorer.exe", sParameter, sCDFolderSakuseiPath, SW_SHOWNORMAL ); } But it failed to execute the explorer. What was wrong? Thank you very much. Use open verb - ShellExecute( GetSafeHwnd(), "open", "explorer.exe", sParameter, sCDFolderSakuseiPath, SW_...

multiple schemas
Hi; How does it work when you have multiple schemas (all except 1 tied to a unique namespace I assume)? There can only be one root in the xml but each schema starts from a root element. Also, is there a good book or website that explains schemas in full? -- thanks - dave david_at_windward_dot_net http://www.windwardreports.com Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardreports.com/film.htm Hello Dave As far as I know, <schema> element is the root element of every XML Schema. <xs:schema> <xs:element name="element1"> .... </xs:element> </xs:schema> ...

OWA Page Cannot be Displayed for one user
Hello, We have a user who cannot access his mailbox through OWA, although he can through Outlook. When accessing OWA he is prompted for his user information, when he logs in he gets "Page cannot be displayed HTTP 500 internal server error" Could this be an issue on the OWA server itself? No other users seem to have this problem. Thanks for any info. Was this user ever able to access his mailbox via OWA? "John" wrote: > Hello, > We have a user who cannot access his mailbox through OWA, although he can > through Outlook. When accessing OWA he is prompted fo...