Windows File Protection and Registering a Non-System File

Hi All,

I apologize if this is a bit off topic. The group generally has high
acivity with authors who can discuss higher level protocols...

I'd like to register some files with Windows File Protection. I know if
one authors a driver, Microsoft will sign it and it will enjoy
protection (some hand waving here).

The reason I'd like to do it is to stop malicious tampering (binary
patching from the Reverse Engineers). Is this possible? I don't see how
to auto enroll if not signed by Microsoft.

Reference
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/system_file_protection.mspx

Jeff
Jeffrey Walton

0
noloader (26)
12/29/2006 5:57:18 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

2 Replies
808 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 37

A driver must pass WHQL certification to be signed.  This is a fairly elaborate procedure
these days, and involves installing complex software which most driver experts find
impossible to install (Microsoft has truly screwed up the driver certification process).
But it *is* doable, with only massive effort (very little in getting the driver certified,
a whole lot in getting the driver test framework installed; you need, for example, a
server which is not a domain controller, and infinite amounts of magic to figure out how
to handle the completely undocumented install process---and don't believe that it *is*
documented; the most critical parts, the parts that make all the difference between
success and failure, are *not* documented.  I know two driver experts, one of them an MVP,
who have been through this process and it took each of them weeks).

Signing of drivers must be done by Microsoft; I don't know about signing of apps.
					joe

On 28 Dec 2006 21:57:18 -0800, "Jeffrey Walton" <noloader@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I apologize if this is a bit off topic. The group generally has high
>acivity with authors who can discuss higher level protocols...
>
>I'd like to register some files with Windows File Protection. I know if
>one authors a driver, Microsoft will sign it and it will enjoy
>protection (some hand waving here).
>
>The reason I'd like to do it is to stop malicious tampering (binary
>patching from the Reverse Engineers). Is this possible? I don't see how
>to auto enroll if not signed by Microsoft.
>
>Reference
>http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/system_file_protection.mspx
>
>Jeff
>Jeffrey Walton
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
0
newcomer (15972)
1/1/2007 9:56:18 PM
Hello Doctor,

Forgive me for going back to the forum.

> I know two driver experts...
Would you be able to provide names? I'd like to contact for paid
consulting. I suspect I can assume you are one of them (I have a Device
Driver book you coauthored).

> ...it took each of them weeks.
Time is not an issue (withing reason) as long as the project continues
making progress. I'd settle for a cycle of two to three months.

Jeff

Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> A driver must pass WHQL certification to be signed.  This is a fairly elaborate procedure
> these days, and involves installing complex software which most driver experts find
> impossible to install (Microsoft has truly screwed up the driver certification process).
> But it *is* doable, with only massive effort (very little in getting the driver certified,
> a whole lot in getting the driver test framework installed; you need, for example, a
> server which is not a domain controller, and infinite amounts of magic to figure out how
> to handle the completely undocumented install process---and don't believe that it *is*
> documented; the most critical parts, the parts that make all the difference between
> success and failure, are *not* documented.  I know two driver experts, one of them an MVP,
> who have been through this process and it took each of them weeks).
>
> Signing of drivers must be done by Microsoft; I don't know about signing of apps.
> 					joe
>
> On 28 Dec 2006 21:57:18 -0800, "Jeffrey Walton" <noloader@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >I apologize if this is a bit off topic. The group generally has high
> >acivity with authors who can discuss higher level protocols...
> >
> >I'd like to register some files with Windows File Protection. I know if
> >one authors a driver, Microsoft will sign it and it will enjoy
> >protection (some hand waving here).
> >
> >Reference
> >http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/system_file_protection.mspx
> >
> >Jeff
> >Jeffrey Walton
> >
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com
> MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm

0
noloader (26)
1/12/2007 4:09:45 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

MMC error on opening exchange system manager
I get an error when opening: MMC has detected an error in a snap-in. It is recommended that you shut down and restart MMC. then I click to report or continue, if continue it opens up but you cant get into anything, in the right bigger window it says MMC could not create snap-in. The snap-in might have not been installed correctly. Name: Exchange System CLSID: 1b600aea-10ba-11d2-9f28-00c04fa37610 It has been working for a month fine, HELP! ...

ASP Files not working windows VISTA IIS..
Hi..please advice how do i run asp files in my localhost and i'm using windows vistasundar ...

reinstalling windows
windows has become corrupted. when i have attempted to reinstall windows the set up screen tells me " the file cmdide.sys is corrupted. press any key to continue". at the bottom of the screen it says " setup failed". do i need to format the disc so that i can reinstall windows and if so, how do i do it? thanks, mike mikalle wrote: > windows has become corrupted. when i have attempted to reinstall windows the > set up screen tells me " the file cmdide.sys is corrupted. press any key to > continue". at the bottom of the screen it says &qu...

Windows live mail
My windows live mail account will not send or recieve any messages. Every time I attempt to send an email. I get this message... windows cannot send this message you need a digital id, this message is not encrypted. I have tried to download a program for a digital id but this has not solved the problem. Dew "Dew" wrote: > My windows live mail account will not send or recieve any messages. Every > time I attempt to send an email. I get this message... windows cannot send > this message you need a digital id, this message is not encrypted. I have >...

Converting Pulisher 98 files to work with Publisher 97
Can anyone help me with this. I did some work from home with Publisher 2003 and saved as Publisher 98. I thought that's what we had at work, but just found out we have Publisher 97. Can anyone help? Thanks, June Send me the file, I will convert it for you. It will lose formatting somewhat. gsauer at columbus dot rr dot com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "June G." <JuneG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A2C930C-A716-4C3A-A171-365E113E002B@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help me...

Windows Vista
Not sure whats going on, but when I opened Windows Mail this afternoon I decided not to send any emails and generates the message :- The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test 1', Account: 'pop.123-reg.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.123-reg.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E I had this a few weeks ago and on going into account properties and clicking on and off the various Connection tick boxes, the problem cleared. However this time there is no change. Any Ideas ?? Submitted via EggHeadCafe -...

open windows
How do I close ALL open windows w/ ONE click Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums "kotus" wrote in message news:%23QO5zHhnKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > How do I close ALL open windows w/ ONE click > If you can tolerate an extra click, you can right-click the group of windows in your task bar > Close group Otherwise you'd probably need a mini-app that with a desktop shortcut that does what you want. -- Jon On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:58:46 -0800, kotus wrote: > How do I close ALL open windows w/ ONE...

Can't install Exchange System Manager 2003..
Hi, The OS is Windows Server 2003 SP1 (only 1 partition, the free disk space is only 8 GB) and actually what I'm trying to do is to have a mailbox for a user from Domain B but the Exchange 2003 is in Domain A. Domain A (domainA.hq.com) and B (domainB.hq.com) are under one forest. I have checked some of the emails that were sent to this newsgroup and they suggested that I just need to install the Exchange System Manager on Domain B but I can't proceed with the "Install Exchange System Management Tools Only" installation wizard (Exchange 2003 Std Edt CD). I'm stuck ...

Windows pdate Status: Failed
Hi, This is my problem: http://yfrog.com/1fupdatekj So, how can I manage to install this update? I am using Acer Laptop with its own Vista and HP LP2275w monitor. Thanks in advance. Koray For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY (and/or 1-866-234-6020) in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB9999...

publisher cannot load files from a different version... HELP
i got an email from a friend and i am trying to open it, but i get "publisher cannot load files from a different version". I have Publisher 97. Is there anything that I can do besides buying an updated version? Thanks in advance! Bob TubMaster wrote: > i got an email from a friend and i am trying to open it, but i get "publisher > cannot load files from a different version". I have Publisher 97. > Is there anything that I can do besides buying an updated version? > > Thanks in advance! > Bob nope, with what you got... ask your friend to make a pdf o...

need card view with active recurring and non-recurring appointments ...
I'm trying to set up a card view that will be a simple list of active appointments, both non-recurring and recurring. I have an Advanced filter, "Start .. on or after ... Today". The problem is the sorting. If I sort by "Start", then the recurring appointments are all listed in front of the non-recurring, because the Start date for a Recurring appointment is the FIRST recurrence. I then sorted first by "Recurring", then by "Start", so that non-recurring appointments are listed in front of the recurring, but that's not what I want, either. Wh...

Unknown 12029 while using window.ActiveXObject & window.XMLHttpRequest
Hi, I am using the following code in my .jsp file for request to, and get a response from a web server - without reloading the page. But this code is working if i will use http://localhost:8080/.../xxx.jsp. But if i will call remotely like http://12.12.12.1111:8080/.../xxx.jsp it's throwing "Unknown 12029" Exception. Kindly let me know what changes i should do. Plz explain me detailly on this. // code for Mozilla, Netscape, etc... if (window.XMLHttpRequest) { req=new XMLHttpRequest() req.onreadystatechange=state_Change req.open("GET",urlT,true) ...

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7
I have Windows 7 Home Premium (64 Bit) and Office 2003 Pro. I setup my POP3 e-mail account and was able to send and receive mail once. I setup a second POP3 account and neither will work. I installed Outlook 2007 with the same result. From what I have read, the 32 bit OS does not have this problem. So far, no one has been able to come up with a work around for this. Any help will be appreciated. Its nothing to do with win32/64 When you test the accounts within Outlook, you should if theres a problem see some relevent err msgs "ernie146nn" <ernie146nn@discussions...

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords
When I use Windows Explorer to navigate and search through my files (using the View - choose details - keywords and other selections) I can't see the keywords - even though they are part of the file (can view in file properties). I can see the Author, Title, Subject, Category, Comments - everything that is in the file properties except keywords. Is there a setting I'm not selecting? -- David C. Beveridge -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > When I use Windows Explorer to navigate and search through my files (using > the View - choose details - keywords a...

DB Files with Access2007
Can any help prev with Access2003 I could read .db Files but 2007 return a invalid file Same goes with Excel 2003 was able to read mdb and db files but not with 2007 Thanks Hennie ...

windows 98 computer, running Office 2000, I deleted Outlook.pst thru windows explorer.
Please help, Outlook stoped recieving emails and said the problem was the Outlook.pst file. 1st. I tried reloading Office 2000 "did not help" 2nd. I deleted the Outlook.pst file on my windows 98 Computer running Office 2000 thru windows explorer The file was too large for the recycle bin and I chose delete. 3rd. Then I tried re installing office 2000 again and it did not reinstall the "outlook.pst file" Now I know that all my emails were in that .pst I have tried FINAL DATA 2.0 recovery software thru another hard drive and had no success finding the .pst file, where ...

Opening Files*
When I open an Excel file only the blank Excel screen comes up. Then I have to go to open and find it etc. How do I set up so files automatically open in the program they were saved on? Thank If you save all your excel files in a particular folder you set the default through Tools > Options then under the general tab. Type the path to the folder that you wish and when you select open excel will open tht folder. Is this what you meant? regards Murray >-----Original Message----- >When I open an Excel file only the blank Excel screen comes up. Then I have to go to open and find i...

Windows recovery console
How can I stop Windows Recovery Console coming up at Windows startup. There are a number of StartUp folders and none of them list WRC In news:%23qYZva4QLHA.4960@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl, tatar typed on Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:20:08 +0100: > How can I stop Windows Recovery Console coming up at Windows startup. > There are a number of StartUp folders and none of them list WRC You have added the Windows Recovery Console to your HDD? Anyway to change the default boot OS all you need to do is: Control Panel System Advanced (tab) Startup and Recovery (Settings) Default operatin...

difference between window dimensions and window client area dimensions
I need to find the difference between window dimensions and window client area dimensions for an SDI application. Currently I'm using the brute force method: CRect clientRect; GetClientRect(&clientRect); CRect mainRect; GetWindowRect(&mainRect); int frameExtraX = mainRect.Width() - clientRect.Width(); int frameExtraY = mainRect.Height() - clientRect.Height(); This is ugly and doesn't always work, so I would like to get frameExtraX and frameExtraY from some kind of system metrics values. Thank you! You've already said the magic words "system metrics&q...

No permission to open Publisher 2000 file in P2007
Trying to Open Publisher 2000 files from Publisher 2007 installed on new PC on network. I am told I don't have Permission yet they open easily from the original PC. Sharing is set, all other MS files open from old versions to new, just not Publisher, any ideas please? Ross in Oz wrote: > Trying to Open Publisher 2000 files from Publisher 2007 installed on > new PC on network. I am told I don't have Permission yet they open > easily from the original PC. Sharing is set, all other MS files open > from old versions to new, just not Publisher, any ideas please? ============...

Outlook 2003 Web Access & PST files
Can anybody please tell me if it is possible to import the contents of my local .pst file into my Outlook 2003 Web Access on my SBS2003? Many thanks Jon Morgan There is no method to import/export items through OWA. You would need to connect to the Exchange mailbox using Outlook 2003 and import your items into the mailbox. Import/Export wizard is accessed via File | Import and Export. "Jon Morgan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:d06101c439a9$1a596920$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Can anybody please tell me if it is possible to import > the conte...

windows messenger/Outlook 2002
Hello........i am running office xp 2002 on windows xp professional and every time that i open up outlook 2002, windows messgenger 6.0 opens up...windows messenger is not even on the list of programs automatically set to open up on the Start up programs tab...can anybody help and tell why this is happening?....thanks...Rolf disable messenger integration on tools, options, other Renegade wrote: > Hello........i am running office xp 2002 on windows xp > professional and every time that i open up outlook 2002, > windows messgenger 6.0 opens up...windows messenger is > not e...

Loosing Leading zeros in CSV file
Hello How do i stop a CSV file loosing leading zeros. when the file is in excel format it is exactly how i want it, but to import it into another program i need to save it as a csv file and it is then that i loose the leading zeros has any body got any ideas -- Cheers Instead of exporting a number, export "=TEXT(YourNumber,"00000000")" or as many "0"s as you need -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:132E74A3-A138-4B07-88C7-686FAB45F593@microsoft.com... > Hello > > How do i st...

Windows update error
I get the follow messege when i try and run a windows update. Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue: Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended) Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem What to thye mean by redister or reinstall filles. How do i do it? Adam wrote: > I get the follow messege when i try and run a windows update. > > Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or > installed on your computer. To continue: > > ...

Creating and accessing BCM files stored on Network Accessible Stor
Our IT contractor has just installed a Network Accessible Storage device (DLink DNS-323). We can see this from all computers on our wireless network. I want to create our BCM database on the NAS so that all people on site can access it. We are also planning to set up a VPN to allow our offsite staff access to the BCM database. My problem is that BCM cannot see the NAS. Indeed when you are setting up a new database there does not seem to be a browse capability to allow you to set it up anywhere other than your local hard drive. Any ideas? "Mdith" <Mdith@discuss...