What is the difference : MFC, ATL, COM/DCOM/COM+ and .NET

Would you define each of the above in simple terms with an example of
what they might be used for.

Thank you.

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

www.google.com

"zalzon" wrote:

> Would you define each of the above in simple terms with an example of
> what they might be used for.
>
> Thank you.

MFC is a library which my dad is using for his stuff.
ATL is a library which we are using together with my dad.
I am using WTL also 'cause I am more masochistic than my dad (his opinion).

COM/DCOM/COM+ and .NET are component technologies and frameworks  serving
the same purposes but
implemented litlle bit differently: first one has explicit reference
counting and the last one has implicit reference counting
(a.k.a garbage collector).

Ah, forgot to mention: my wife is using .NET 'cause she think she knows
everything about "garbage collector".

Sounds detailed enough, huh?

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com
http://blocknote.net

"zalzon" <zalzonishappy@zalll.com> wrote in message
> Would you define each of the above in simple terms with an example of
> what they might be used for.
>
> Thank you.

0
news8173 (6)
10/4/2004 9:53:25 PM
This may help:

COM - Its a technology. ATL and MFC can help implement COM features.
MFC - Library/Framework used to build Win32 apps. Typically you will use it
for building desktop applications.
ATL - Framework which helps building COM application. It can be used to
build desktop applications as well but typically you will use to build
ActiveX controls(uses COM techonology) or other COM related stuff.
..NET - Its the latest techonology from MSFT. You dont need to use MFC, ATL
or COM if you use .Net. .Net is much much more than this though.

--
Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++]
ajaykalra@yahoo.com

"zalzon" <zalzonishappy@zalll.com> wrote in message
> Would you define each of the above in simple terms with an example of
> what they might be used for.
>
> Thank you.

0
ajaykalra (6842)

Pulling data daily from a differently named report everyday
Hello, I have a spreadsheet where I use formulas to pull data from multiple reports on a shared server everyday. What I do is to save those reports under a certain name everyday since the formulas have to have the static report name in them to pull data. (For example, A1 may pull data from c:\reportfolder\reportA, B1 may pull from c: \reportfolder2\reportB, etc). In these report folders our IT group runs a new report in it everyday but of course they change the name of the report every day (to reflect the date) . . so in the reportfolder there will be "reportA-3-12-2009", and "...

Different margins on different pages
I am setting up a template for letters at work. The first page of our letterhead has one ste of margins and all subsequent pages will have a different sent of margins. I know that section breaks can be used, but if staff copy and paste text from existing letters into this new template, the section break moves. Is there any way of locking the section break to the page? so the pasted text goes over the top of it? Hi Lilly80, You could setup your document with a 'different first page' layout. That allows the first page to have a different set of margins to the rest o...

theoretical MFC question
I've been debugging like a nutcase for a couple of hours trying to get the systemtime... I used SYSTEMTIME st; GetSystemTime(&st); --pretty straighforward.... I'm using unicode, and in building in RELEASE mode.... Release mode is not a problem in VB.net and I can set a watch on my variables and look inside them any time I want. So here I am in release mode tyring to check for correct data in my variables and get Nothing in them ....So I think that the code isnt working ... --I pull out my hair for a couple of hours and then decide to try debug mode...

Different values for error bars in series
In Excel 2007, how do you put in different error bar values for each data point in a series? So far I am only able to put in one value for all in my bar chart. Hi, See Jon's blog on the subject. http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/error-bars-in-excel-2007/#comments Cheers Andy On 06/04/2010 15:52, wdwind1 wrote: > In Excel 2007, how do you put in different error bar values for each data > point in a series? So far I am only able to put in one value for all in my > bar chart. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

A Different CRM for GP
Hello, We are pondering the idea of implementing MS Dynamics CRM. However, I am curious whether anyone else has had success in integrating a different CRM product with GP 10.0. It's not that we don't like the MS product; I just like to ensure I have covered all bases. Our partner does not have any other recommendations as they have not worked with any other CRM applications. Any information would be greatly apprecaited. Thank you, -- Jessie GoldMine is a good product, very mature, and easier to maintain table structures. There are links to GP but I cannot remember the fir...

2 users access calendar online with different rights
hi user A wants to give user B permission to see, add and edit entries in calendar online http://www.exchangedomain.ch/usersname/kalender/ user B is able to see, but not to add or edit entries at the moment in outlook itself its working. user B can open the folder calendar of user A and make entries and change entries what have to be done that this is possible also with web access exchange ? thankx mike schwarz On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:09:29 +0200, "Mike Schwarz" <ctek@ctek.ch> wrote: >hi > >user A wants to give user B permission to see, add and edit entries in &...

Same column, different cell width at different row
I have tried inserting a break and split, didn't work. I just want to separate the top half of a page with the bottom half so I can apply different cell width on the same column. Or how would I be able to do this? Same column but different cell width. Thanks! Glenn You can't do that. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Glenn Chung" <GlennChung@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20746997-9D99-4684-A352-120370D27036@microsoft.com... >I have tried inserting a break and split, di...

Fixed Assets
When using the Fixed Asset module, I am finding some small differences when compared to the Depreciation calculated by the External Accountants for tax purposes. Client would like to match exactly to the amounts calculated by external accounts. What is the best way to fix this issue? thanks, -- Patti Need more info Patti. What are the depreciation methods/settings that are creating the differences? Does this occur on every asset or just some? Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com get your gptip42today at www.gp2themax.blogs...

Want to display value and difference on one chart
I am trying to create a chart that displays x and 10-x on the same chart. I want the chart to show a meaured value and the difference of that value to 10 in a different color. On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, JMH <JMH@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I am trying to create a chart that displays x and 10-x on the same chart. I >want the chart to show a meaured value and the difference of that value to 10 >in a different color. Use your spreadsheet to calculate the values, then use the chart to graph them. Never try to use a chart for calculation. ...

Wrong Methods Called from Regular DLLs Dynamically Linked to MFC
I have created an abstract base class in a non-mfc dll and exported that class like so. #ifdef EXPORTING #define DLLEXPORT __declspec(dllexport) #else #define DLLEXPORT __declspec(dllimport) #endif class DLLEXPORT AbstractBaseClass { virtual void meth1()=0; } In the same header I have exported a global pointer to the abstract base class from a non-mfc dll as follows. extern "C" DLLEXPORT AbstractBaseClass* globalPtr; In a seperate non-mfc dll I have created a class that inherits from AbstractBaseClass. class DLLEXPORT ImplementationOfAbstractBaseClass : public AbstractB...

Dates Difference
Hi, I need to get the difference between 2 dates (in number of days), how do i get that in vc++? I have used the DateDiff function in asp but couldn't find anything like that. Also, how can i convert string to a date? thanks in advance karan >I need to get the difference between 2 dates (in number of days), how >do i get that in vc++? Karan, Convert (if the dates aren't already in this format) the dates/times to FILETIME and subtract the values. >Also, how can i convert string to a date? Try COleDateTime::ParseDateTime or VarDateFromStr. Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://ww...

Sending from 2 different computers
I have Outlook 2003 on my desktop at home and 2002 on my laptop while traveling. My server is Comcast. I would strongly prefer to use Outlook (rather than Comcast's webmail) on both computers. I have configured Outlook on both computers to receive email. I can also leave a copy on the server so it can be downloaded again later on the other computer, assuring that I always have copies of all emails no matter which computer I'm using. Problem is I can't send from my laptop. I've tried Comcast's instructions for configuring Outlook 2002 for use while traveling, but it doesn&...

interoperation using COM from .NET with OptionalParameter
Hi! I have this simple main Console program. If I use row marked with 2 below it work but if I use row marked 1 I get runtime exception saying COMException was undandled. Exception HRESULT: OptionalParameter. The reason for this it that I can't send null as parameter value to a COM function. I mean normally it would be perfectly legal to send null values instead of a real object so why is it not valid in this case ? class Program { private static Object OptionalParameter = Type.Missing; static void Main(string[] args) { Application newExcelApp = new ...

changing email addresses to firstname.lastname@example.com
Hi all, Our Exchange 2003 SP1 / Windows 2000/2003 company has email addresses in the form firstinitiallastname@example.com (like jsmith@example.com). We would like to change our email addresses to firstname.lastname@example.com (like john.smith@example.com). How can we do this while still keeping the original email address as a secondary? First names and last names are already in the Active Directory, so hopefully this can done without brute force. Do we need to change each person manually, or can we apply a policy for this? thanks Karnov Hi Kanov, In AD go to the user's profile pr...

Different shape width in different views in Excel 2007??
In Excel 2007, I create a shape in "Normal" view and set its width to any value (e.g. to 15cm). Now I change to "Page Layout" view and guess what... the width now shows up as something more than 16cm??! (The width property as points in VBA changes accordingly.) Switching to "Page Break View" will result in one more different width value. Is this "just" a big bug in Excel 2007 or did I miss something?? I know that the selected default printer or the chosen zoom factor may have an influence on the shown size of a shape, but these discrepancies are ...

Bluetooth Com port coding ?
I am not really sure if this is the right newsgroup to be asking this question so I appologize if it is not. Anyway, I have a Bluetooth barcode scanner and it has an incoming com port (COM3) and and outgoing com port (COM4); they are virtual com ports. I was wondering if anyone might know how to access these com ports? I tried it using a standard serial open command and using the com ports default settings, but nothing happened. So, either I don't have the proper com port settings for the device or I don't know how to access the device using the com ports properly. Basicall...

appointment prints different time
Hi, My client uses a french CRM with date format dd/mm/yyyy. when he creates an appointment with the SFO client from e.g. 11 o'clock until 16 o'clock it is saved like correctly. but when he prints it out, the starttime is 8 o'clock and end time 13 o'clock. it is like that for every appointment. it always prints out 3 hours earlier. Anybody had this too? Thanx Cypress, You can check if both the server and the user are in the same time zone. Server: Open Control Panel, Date and Time, Timezone Client: On the laptop open Control Panel, Date and Time, Timezone Open CRM vi...

Different Columns on different pages
Hi - think this will be easily resolved but I am stuck! In publisher 2000 how do you create a multipaged, two page spread that has different columns on some pages. I keep bringing myself back to "ignore background" and trying to use "arrange" - "layout Guides" - but this isnt right. Am I thinking too deep? Is the whole point that the layout guides are simply guides and stay the same thorugh the whole document regardless.... you just use ruler guides to make the changes through the different pages? Any idea's? Thanks Julia ...

Difference 05-21-04
What is the difference between CRM standard and professional? -Johnny Johnny wrote: > What is the difference between CRM standard and professional? > > -Johnny Does it have anything to do with Outlook integration? -- - I am Johnny! Your Internet penpal. I have a scooter, how about you? "Johnny" <alphascooter-verizon@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:evfBJNwPEHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Johnny wrote: > > > What is the difference between CRM standard and professional? > > > > -Johnny > Does it have anything to do with Outlook inte...

Compare and Merge Two different CRM Instances
We have two different CRM environments that we want to merge into one. My first step was to try and compare the different instances to see what the different were between them. I exported all of the customizations from each and performed a diff. Yuck. Since the customizations don't export the elements in the same order it looks like their are over 7,000 differences between the two files. Reality says that at best there may be 50-100. Is there any way to get these to output in the same order so that I can get a more realistic diff between them? The only other thought I have at this po...

divs are different in different browsers

MFC, XML, C++ .NET Help.....
All, I have a question that I am trying to solve and I am not a 100% sure what direction I should take. Here is my problem - I have a MFC application that will be compiled using the Visual C++ .Net 2003 Compiler that is unmanaged (meaning no ..Net framework). The application scraps a single small xml string from a http page. I want to parse this xml string out to be used in the application. My issue is I am unsure what tool I should use to do the parsing of the XML string. I have thought about CString and parsing out by hand but powers from above want this to be more robust for possible &quo...

Registering a CLSID in MFC application
Hi My project is a MFC multidoc application. Now I have to expose COM interfaces so that the application can cater the needs of the clients through COM interfaces. So I manually added an interface and coclass to this MFC application. When the client cocreates it gets error saying "Cannot find the specified path" or "class not registered", failed hr. I understand that this CLSID that i added manually must be registered. But when i use the commandline /regserver, just my application starts up, but the CLSID is not registered. How do i register the CLSID from this MFC applic...

Converting Access app to a VB.Net app
Hello, I have an applicaton developed in Access 2003 using VBA code that also uses forms / subforms created within access. The app also uses access tables for the local data store. I have done some research on how it can be done such as downloading Interop Forms Toolkit 1.0, but not finding exactly what I am looking for. How can I convert the Access2003 application into a VB.Net application using forms and code from Access 2003? Or would it be more realistic to develop the VB.Net app from scratch using the same code function / procedures from the Access 2003 application? Thanks in advance....

searching different files macro
I need to search for a certain asset number in the asset column in man different excel files. If the asset number does exist it should copy paste the whole row into a new sheet and build on that sheet . all th excel files have the same columns but different data. i am looking for a macro or any other way to automate this thank yo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi see Excel.programming P.S.: please don't multipost -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I need to search for a certain asset number in the asset column in > many different excel files. If ...