What does 32-bit graphics mean?

I thought that all graphics is based on RGB of of 8 bits each. What is the extra
8 bits used for, just padding?

0
NoSpam8358 (375)
9/6/2006 5:20:35 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Well, for one thing, alpha channel so transparency can be determined.

http://www.atalasoft.com/PNG.aspx

Tom

"Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote in message
>I thought that all graphics is based on RGB of of 8 bits each. What is the
>extra 8 bits used for, just padding?

0
tserface (3861)
9/6/2006 5:38:34 PM
There are several approaches to "32-bit" color.  One is to use 10 bits of color data, one
is to use an 8-bit "saturation" value (called the "alpha channel" which is the
transparency).  There are several super-high-resolution variants including 40-bit color
(RGBA of 10 bits each), but you don't typically find these applications outside
professional color production facilities (it turns out that 8-bit gradient fill done on a
good color letterpress really does look like a set of stripes, whereas 10-bit gradient
fill looks really good...I had someone show me this once at a COMDEX show many years
ago--they were selling super-quality-color printers)
					joe

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 12:20:35 -0500, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote:

>I thought that all graphics is based on RGB of of 8 bits each. What is the extra
>8 bits used for, just padding?

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15979)
9/6/2006 6:18:43 PM
Does MS Windows use these extra eight bits on their display screen interface?

> There are several approaches to "32-bit" color.  One is to use 10 bits of
> color data, one
> is to use an 8-bit "saturation" value (called the "alpha channel" which is the
> transparency).  There are several super-high-resolution variants including
> 40-bit color
> (RGBA of 10 bits each), but you don't typically find these applications
> outside
> professional color production facilities (it turns out that 8-bit gradient
> fill done on a
> good color letterpress really does look like a set of stripes, whereas 10-bit
> gradient
> fill looks really good...I had someone show me this once at a COMDEX show many
> years
> ago--they were selling super-quality-color printers)
> joe
>
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 12:20:35 -0500, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I thought that all graphics is based on RGB of of 8 bits each. What is the
>>extra
>>8 bits used for, just padding?
>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

NoSpam8358 (375)
9/7/2006 6:32:34 PM
The standard interface of the GDI provides for 8-bit color.  I've never played in the
DirectX arena, so I don't know if it can support greater color depth than 8 bits.  I do
know that there have been a couple apps that worked with 10-bit color depth.
					joe

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 13:32:34 -0500, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote:

>Does MS Windows use these extra eight bits on their display screen interface?

>> There are several approaches to "32-bit" color.  One is to use 10 bits of
>> color data, one
>> is to use an 8-bit "saturation" value (called the "alpha channel" which is the
>> transparency).  There are several super-high-resolution variants including
>> 40-bit color
>> (RGBA of 10 bits each), but you don't typically find these applications
>> outside
>> professional color production facilities (it turns out that 8-bit gradient
>> fill done on a
>> good color letterpress really does look like a set of stripes, whereas 10-bit
>> gradient
>> fill looks really good...I had someone show me this once at a COMDEX show many
>> years
>> ago--they were selling super-quality-color printers)
>> joe
>>
>> On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 12:20:35 -0500, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I thought that all graphics is based on RGB of of 8 bits each. What is the
>>>extra
>>>8 bits used for, just padding?
>>>
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15979)

Crystal Reports and 64 bit
Hi, First I want to apology if this is not the right place to ask. Please advice me where to move my question if this group is not the appropriate place. I've a .net 2.0 Windows Forms application that uses some COM components that are for 32bit only so I've set my target cpu to x86. My application uses also Crystal reports. My question is which version of the crystal reports redistributable should I use for 64 bit Windows installations - the 32, 64bit or maybe both? Thanks in advance. ...

data graphic window
Somehow I closed the data graphics window that usually shows up on the right hand side of the screen. This is the window that displays all of the different data graphics that you can choose from...or create new ones. I can't seem to figure out how to open that window again, and as a result I can't edit the data graphics. Help?!?! Hello LouLou, Have you tried Data / Display Data on Shapes...? Best regards John John Goldsmith (Visio MVP) www.visualSignals.typepad.co.uk www.visualSignals.co.uk "LouLou" <LouLou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

Why are graphics invisible in Publisher?
So I've uninstalled and reinstalled all of office (the repair function wouldn't work) and my graphics still won't appear in Publisher (other than those created with a wmf format, Gif, Tiff, JPEG all are invisible). I've double checked the picture/view feature, and this is clicked correctly. They were there one day, gone the next. If you click "hide pictures" on the picture/view function, it will at least outline the areas where the graphics are. The graphics appear on other machines. Any other ideas on fixing my machine? It is probably your video driver, ...

32 bit and 64 bit OS
1. WinCE 4.2 is 32 bit 2. WinCE 5.0 and WinCE 6.0 is 64 bit OS. My question Are A. most of the Micro in RISC Arch. are 32 bit. Is there any advantage of using 64 bit OS with 32 bits Micro ? B. Is it possible to compile WinCE 5.0 and WinCE 6.0 as 32 Bit OS ? (I mean any compilation option) C. Any Application wich is compiled in 32 bit environment is it be possible to run in WinCE5.0 and WinCE 6.0 On Apr 15, 7:40=A0pm, S3c2410_invader <S3c2410inva...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > 1. WinCE 4.2 is 32 bit > 2. WinCE 5.0 and WinCE 6.0 is 64 bit OS. > &...

32 bit process & 64 bit driver, 32/64 bit pointer?
Hi, I am using MmMapLockedPagesSpecifyCache function to map my device memory RAM to user area. It is not a security conernt to me to do by this method. I want to support this for a 32 bit application, calls 64 bit driver(64 bit system), I am taking care of 32 bit process detection, In this case, if i uses above function, it returns a PVOID, I am not sure, will get a 32/64 bit pointer, but PVOID is 64 bit in 64 bit system? Is there any way to request only 32 bit User pointer from this API? Any coversion of mapping 64 bit userarea pointer to 32 bit different user area pointe...

How can I replace data in excel ?...Data positionsis a bit complic
Hello, I have in a cell : 250-PSA-AD46 I would like to replace 250 & AD46 by a space and keep the dashes and PSA in the middle. That was an example of the data I have ..Generically I would like to keep the data no matter what it is in the middle, and replace the others by a space!!! Thx ...a lot!!! Lets say your data is in cell A1: =REPLACE(REPLACE(A1,1,3,),6,4, -- renega ----------------------------------------------------------------------- renegan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1045 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/show...

what this #define means?
#define USES_CONVERSION int _convert; (_convert);UINT _acp = ATL::_AtlGetConversionACP() When using the string conversion macros you need to include the USES_CONVERSION macro at the beginning of your function This macro is used when you use string conversion macros, eg A2T, T2A, T2W etc. It declares all that is needed to do the conversion. You will use USES_CONVERSION and then call A2T etc. Look at MSDN for more details. ----------- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com ...

Vista 64-bit System Lockups; Sager NP9262 Notebook; Bluetooth Mous
I have a 1.5 year old install of Vista 64-bit on a Sager NP9262 Notebook that has been experiencing real system lockups on occasion (intermittently). I use IE8 and Mail. Vista is up to date. The wireless mouse is a Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000. On all occasions I can think of one of two things happening to cause a system lockup. I move the mouse around and click on something. Immediately the system locks up--no clock second hand, no touchpad mouse, one or more fans pick up speed but not full bore. Or, I'm in the middle of a download for several minutes and w...

Publisher 2003 #32
Is it possible to switch of the 'feature' that automatically splits a word that is too long with a hyphen? Many thanks Tools, language, hyphenation... If you want to permanently turn on hyphenation as the default, tools, options, edit tab. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "ChrisB" <chis@wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23kzoEBmqFHA.3640@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to switch of the 'feature' that automatically splits a word that is > too long with a hyphen? &...

What does this mean?
Hi! MSExchangeIS (415) The database engine failed with error - 510 while trying to log the commit of a transaction. To ensure database consistency, the process was terminated. Simply restart the process to force database recovery and return the database to a consistent state. What is this - where do i go' for more info? It probably means that your file antivirus is scanning Exchange database file, which you should disable as soon as possible. Henrik Thomsen wrote: > Hi! > > MSExchangeIS (415) The database engine failed with error - > 510 while trying to log the comm...

Verifying 64 Bit machine?
I have a Gateway all-in-one GZ7108 the machine. In the following link. it is listed as a 64 bit machine but when I got this it was loaded with Vista Enterprise 32 bit.. How can I verify this is a 64 bit machine before I buy 64 bit OS? Product documentation should tell you. -- Richard Urban Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience & Security "Artreid" <artreid@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message news:%23uWkYxLbKHA.5544@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I have a Gateway all-in-one GZ7108 the machine. In the following link. it >is listed as a 6...

Publisher 2002 prints graphics in black
Using Windows XP and an HP Deskjet 5850 with updated driver, Publisher 2002 prints a particular graphic in black and Word 2002 prints the same graphic in color. I also ran the Publisher "detect & repair" with no change. HELP!! I'm having the same problems...did you get any answers about this? No Mark, I'm sorry I haven't received one reply. Are using the same printer? I have since spoken with HP and they say it can't be the driver for whatever that's worth. Dannydreamer "Mark" wrote: > I'm having the same problems...did you get any an...

Sending graphic data to another computer2
Thank you for your reply... But I don't want to create a file, Just to send data and then show them in the server app. > this code captures the screen and writes it to a jpg, writing to a file will > take long, you should look into something that changes the bitmap into a jpg > in memory, perhapse even lets you play with the DPI (quality) to reduce the > size of the jpg. Like i said, my example creates a file, but you SHOULD NOT CREATE A FILE, you should simply convert the Bitmap to a JPG in memory so that it does not take too much memory. The bigger the image the longer it...

32*32 icon in CListCtrl
Hi all, I have a simple dialog window with a LVS_REPORT style Listview control on it. I wish to insert 32*32 images in some of the cells but i m not successful as yet. Here is the code.. could someone pl let me know whats wrong am i doing? //declaration in .h file CListCtrl m_List; CImageList m_ImageList; //Imagelist creation m_ImageList.Create(32,32,ILC_COLOR24 ,5,0); m_ImageList.Add(AfxGetApp()->LoadIcon(IDI_CALENDAR)); m_ImageList.Add(AfxGetApp()->LoadIcon(IDI_CONTACTS)); m_ImageList.Add(AfxGetApp()->LoadIcon(IDI_OUTLOOK2PHONE)); m_ImageList.Add(AfxGetApp()->LoadIcon(IDI_PHO...

Windows 32-bit maxed out at 2GB?
Hello: Is it true that 32-bit Windows Server 2003s max out at 2GB, even if the System property settings say "3.50 GB"? childofthe1980s "childofthe1980s" <childofthe1980s@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAC2795C-D6C6-437A-BBBD-2483F0385086@microsoft.com... > Hello: > > Is it true that 32-bit Windows Server 2003s max out at 2GB, even if the > System property settings say "3.50 GB"? > > childofthe1980s No, it doesn't. Not sure where you heard that it only supports 2 GB from. It also depends on what...

32 bit format
I'm blocked from existing publisher documents on my computer. box comes up saying it's not a valid 32 bit format??? This had not been a problem in the past?? any help is appreciated After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Jim <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > I'm blocked from existing publisher documents on my > computer. box comes up saying it's not a valid 32 bit > format??? Can you open Publisher OK? What version of Windows/Publisher are you running? Are you running a firewall/AV software? Have you chkdsk/scan...

formulas #32
I need to add up cities and i cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the cities added in a formula. PLEASE HELP ME . thank you Hi, Not sure what you mean with add cities, you want in one cell two cities from other two columns, if yes use =A1&A2 if you need an space =A1&" " &A2 "leeammatt" wrote: > I need to add up cities and i cannot for the life of me figure out how to get > the cities added in a formula. PLEASE HELP ME . thank you ...

Add in to allow to save graphics to JPG
I've used an add in that allowed me to save graphics to JPG and other formats, but can't seem to remember where I found it. Can someone assist. Thanks, Barb Reinhardt How about a simple macro? Sub ExportChartJPG() ActiveChart.Export Filename:="C:\a\MyChart.jpg", _ FilterName:="jpeg" End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Barb Reinhardt" <BarbReinhardt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE44C6E4-5318-4F4C-BD3E-3D597ACEDA6D@microsoft.com... > I've used an add in that allowed me to save graphics to JPG an...

graphic behind text in Excel?
In an earlier version of Excel graphics could be placed behind text in a cell. On the drawing menu the icon that controlled this feature was a little dog. In Excel 2002 this does not appear to be a viable option. Does this feature strike a bell with anyone? Is there a way to accomplish this in 2002? I want to add a signature into a box and not have the signature overwrite the box. D, You can't put graphics in back of cells, except as a background picture, which is for the whole sheet (Format - Sheet - Background). It's limited, and doesn't print. What you're de...

DREMEL 1/32 Engraving Cutter (3/32 Shank), Part No. 111
Price:$2.66 Image: http://thediscountdatabase.info/image.php?id=B000WE5NV0 Best deal: http://thediscountdatabase.info/index.php?id=B000WE5NV0 The Dremel rotary tool is lightweight, compact and versatile, which makes it very "friendly". This tool works differently from any other tool you've ever owned. With more than 150 available accessories, you can use it to cut, sand, shape, drill, buff, g ...

Locking graphics objects
When I insert lines or columns in a spreadsheet, any vector objects (graphs, clipart, drawings) that overlap the inserted lines are enlarged. However this does not happen with bitmap images. Is there a way of locking my vector objects so that they remain the same size when I insert/delete rows or columns? TIA R On Jul 16, 5:03 am, "Ragnar" <J...@NOSPAM.com> wrote: > When I insert lines or columns in a spreadsheet, any vector objects (graphs, > clipart, drawings) that overlap the inserted lines are enlarged. However > this does not happen with bitmap images. &g...

Archiving #32
Do archived folders/files in Outlook 2007 use the same ammount of space as the original Outlook files? If so, what is the advantage of archiving? The Archive option moves data, based on an aged date, which you can ammend in archive settings, from your current data file to an archive data file. As I recollect the default Archive setting is for 'older than 6 months' Your current data file will be reduced in size as the data is no longer help in that data file. It might also make your data more managable from a user point of view. You can have the Archive data file open within outl...

Importing Word 2000 files (including graphics) into Publisher 2003?
Hi All, I am writing to see whether Word 2000 files, including graphics, can be imported directly into a new Publisher 2003 document. Let me explain: At work, a few years ago, a special group created some tech manuals - including screenshots - for social workers in WordPerfect (WP) 8 and 9. The department (social services) IT soon thereafter stopped supporting WP and switched us over to Word 2000. These manuals, however, didn't import into word properly - the screen shots got all fouled up. A year ago, to preserve electronic copies of these tech manuals (the .wpd manuals), I used my ...

Printing Graphical Report in Terminal Server is looping
When I print Report Writer Report with TEXT the printing has no problem(Print Page range 1-600+). But when printing a Report like Trial Balance Report (Graphical) in the Screen the printing display is very slow and once completed and send to printer it takes 5 minutes for one page to complete. ...

Can't find msnp 32.dll file
WHEN I LOG ON I GET A DIALOG BOX STATING "UNABLE TO LOAD THE DYNAMIC LINK LIBRARY "MSNP 32.DLL" THE SYSTEM CAN'T FIND THE FILE SPECIFIED. SOME OR ALL OF THE FOWLING FEATURES IS NOT AVAILABLE. MICROSOFT NETWORK ...