VS C++ 6.0 hanging problem in Windows XP ...

Hi,

My VS C++ 6.0 has worked fine for 4 years.  Recently I upgraded my os
from 2000 to XP.  Now my VS C++ 6.0 sometimes just hangs forever after I
make a build command.  From the output window I know it's linking.
Nothing happens if I stop the building (ctrl-break).  If I exit, it says
that I have to stop building before exiting.  Eventually I have to go to
the task manager to kill the process.  This situation takes place for
any of my projects.  Not always, but often enough to affect my work.  Do
you have any idea what is happening or is there any resolution?  I have
already reinstalled VS C++ several times.  My XP was installed after my
c drive was totally reformated.  Thanks for your help.

Tony
0
jdt_young (239)
10/12/2004 11:43:22 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Tony Young <jdt_young@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<emuyDVLsEHA.2300@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> Hi,
>
> My VS C++ 6.0 has worked fine for 4 years.  Recently I upgraded my os
> from 2000 to XP.  Now my VS C++ 6.0 sometimes just hangs forever after I
> make a build command.  From the output window I know it's linking.
> Nothing happens if I stop the building (ctrl-break).  If I exit, it says
> that I have to stop building before exiting.  Eventually I have to go to
> the task manager to kill the process.  This situation takes place for
> any of my projects.  Not always, but often enough to affect my work.  Do
> you have any idea what is happening or is there any resolution?  I have
> already reinstalled VS C++ several times.  My XP was installed after my
> c drive was totally reformated.  Thanks for your help.
>
> Tony

Most probably you have hardware problems. Check your RAM. There are
some tools that do it, I do not remember their titles, but they have a
boot image that should be burned to a floppy. Reboot from the floppy
and let the tool check your RAM thoroughly. Also check your PC with
antivirus software. Errorcheck and defragment HDD. Turn off browser
info in project settings - it would speed up linkage.

We have VC6.00 SP5 and use it on XP SP1.0 with no problems for a
couple of years.
0
kochkarev (130)
10/13/2004 7:36:31 AM
Bonjour,

Sergey Kochkarev a expos� le 13/10/2004 :
> Tony Young <jdt_young@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> My VS C++ 6.0 has worked fine for 4 years.  Recently I upgraded my os
>> from 2000 to XP.  Now my VS C++ 6.0 sometimes just hangs forever after I
>> make a build command.  From the output window I know it's linking.
>> Nothing happens if I stop the building (ctrl-break).  If I exit, it says
>> that I have to stop building before exiting.  Eventually I have to go to
>> the task manager to kill the process.  This situation takes place for
>> any of my projects.  Not always, but often enough to affect my work.  Do
>> you have any idea what is happening or is there any resolution?  I have
>> already reinstalled VS C++ several times.  My XP was installed after my
>> c drive was totally reformated.  Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Tony
>
> Most probably you have hardware problems. Check your RAM. There are
> some tools that do it, I do not remember their titles, but they have a
> boot image that should be burned to a floppy. Reboot from the floppy
> and let the tool check your RAM thoroughly. Also check your PC with
> antivirus software. Errorcheck and defragment HDD. Turn off browser
> info in project settings - it would speed up linkage.

I experience exactly the same problems as tony explains on 2 differents
computers : @work and @home. I'm sure it's not RAM or hardware
problems. These 2 PC have the uptime between reboots forced by Windows
Update.
The compilation just hang... not the system. The stop build button is
ineffective.
I can kill msdev.exe from the task manager and launch again VC 6.0 SP5
for 1, maybe 2, 3, 5 builds, and it hangs again.

I've found a "better than nothing" workaround, by using "Rebuild all"
command instead or "Rebuild".
That way it doesn't hang such times, maybe 1 for 50 rebuilds. Don't
know why....
I've used the toolbar customizer to replace the "Rebuild" by "Rebuild
all" button, and know I live with it.

--
Alni

0
nospam3434 (231)
10/13/2004 8:43:07 PM
"Tony Young" <jdt_young@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My VS C++ 6.0 has worked fine for 4 years.  Recently I upgraded my os
> from 2000 to XP.  Now my VS C++ 6.0 sometimes just hangs forever after I
> make a build command.  From the output window I know it's linking.
> Nothing happens if I stop the building (ctrl-break).  If I exit, it says
> that I have to stop building before exiting.  Eventually I have to go to
> the task manager to kill the process.  This situation takes place for
> any of my projects.  Not always, but often enough to affect my work.  Do
> you have any idea what is happening or is there any resolution?  I have
> already reinstalled VS C++ several times.  My XP was installed after my
> c drive was totally reformated.  Thanks for your help.
>
> Tony

I had a problem with a build hanging in windows ME, which I eventually
traced to a batch file in a custom build step.  Of course this may not apply
to you at all.

0
billt61 (145)

Contacts vs Addressbook
Running Windows XP Home Edition and Outlook 2000. It "appears" that Contacts and Addressbook are synchronized. I need to be able to have Contacts contain phone information for my Palm download and Address Book contain e-mail addresses. HOW can I make the distinction??? Thanks.................Dr Bob this is going to be more of a concern through your PDA sync software as opposed to actual Outlook... i.s. >-----Original Message----- >Running Windows XP Home Edition and Outlook 2000. > >It "appears" that Contacts and Addressbook are >synchronized. I ...

Problem getting a form to open to a related record.
I have a button on a form called "MainForm" that when clicked I want to open another form which should show all "Rental" records relating to the location on the "MainForm" In my MainTable which is what the MainForm" is populated by I have a field called ListingID (which is also my keyfield and as such is an AutoNumber). In my "Rental" table I have a field called "PremID" which is a number field that I want to use to tie the records into the MainTable. (I will be using the same field name in other tables to link them to the MainTable...

Excel 97 to Excel 2000 Problems
HELP! We are just about to convert our users to Office 2000 from Office 97. One user, in finance, has several linked spreadsheets, which when opened in 97 are fine, yet when they are opened in 2000 come up with #REF errors in most of the cells, even when you choose not to update links, unless you have the Autocalculation off, in which case it is fine, until you hit F9. Is there a difference between the way 97 handles the update compared to the way 2000 handles it? If so, is there a switch or something we can invoke to prevent this happenening. Or finally, does anyone have ideas how...

text wrap problem
I have a problem with wrapping text around a clip art picture. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! I used the same text and the same picture to test it out. I've just got it to work, but I need to know if this is a bug because I'm writing a text book. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers. Sorry, forgot to mention I'm using 2003. >-----Original Message----- >I have a problem with wrapping text around a clip art >picture. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! I >used the same text and the same picture to test it out. >I've just g...

Problem with VS.Net Class View
Hello All I am working on a relatively large application suite consisting of around 20 VC++ Projects. We have created a solution and added all the projects to it. I am facing problems while using auto hide feature of VS.Net 2003 Class View. Every other tab like solution explorer etc are working fine but the class view takes a lot of time to display. Auto hide is a very cool feature but because of the time delay in loading the class view i can not use it properly (it takes a lot of time to parse the classes being diaplyed). Has any one faced this problem and is there any solution availabl...

WLM vs Hotmail
I posted a question a few days ago about WLMD and got a reply which included the mention of the D having been dropped some time ago which begs the question how does one tell the versions? Or, maybe I'm mistaken but when I go online and log into my ID, it's listed as Windows Live Mail. I had thought the former Hotmail and MSN mail were being merged into the new Live Mail but if the desktop version is also Windows Live Mail, I must be mistaken. Hotmail, MSN Mail, etc were created originally as web-based mail services. Traditionally, a subscriber would use a web-browser...

Alt - O
Anyone know what to use for the Office 2007. Shortcut for changing several column width ... thanks -- AMH Hi, ALT-H-O-W If you hold the ALT key for a second or two the shortcut letters will be displayed. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "AMH" <amh@diskusjoner.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0DFD3FC8-6386-411D-ACD0-4BE780935480@microsoft.com... > Anyone know what to use for the Office 2007. > Shortcut for changing several column width ... > thanks > -- > AMH Thanks a million :-) -- AMH "Andy Pop...

Problem with Huge PST File
When I went to start up Outlook 2003, I got a message that my PST file was not closed properly last time. Outlook went through it's process. Now, my PST file is 823MB, even though when I do a folder size on it within outlook, it says the PST file shou be about 10MB. Does anyone have some suggestions? --Nicholas Are you checking the .pst file size from the root of your personal folders? If you search your hard drive for the .pst file, what does Windows report as the file size? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Sw...

Problem with screen painting/refresh ???
I have a listbox and a button which can be used to extend its height and then reduce it back again. Underneath this listbox is another listbox. When I extend the height of the upper listbox, it extends but the lower listbox shows through it. I got around this by making the lower listbox invisible and then visible again. Now my problem is that even when I reduce the height of the upper listbox and make the lower one visible again, the entries in the lower listbox do not fully re-appear. I tried repainting the form but it has no effect. I'd like to avoid requerying the listbox if possi...

VS 2005 vs VS 2002
Is it worth upgrading to VS.net 2005 from our VS.net 2002 Enterprise? All we can seem to get into 2002 are monochrome, 16 colour and 256 colour icons. So can 2005 handle Vista icons with alpha channel colours? Or is the problem that we are running on XP? > Is it worth upgrading to VS.net 2005 from our VS.net 2002 Enterprise? > > All we can seem to get into 2002 are monochrome, 16 colour and 256 colour > icons. So can 2005 handle Vista icons with alpha channel colours? Or is the > problem that we are running on XP? I dont have any idea about the specific issue you wrote. ...

Outlook 2000 C++ Runtime Error
When attempting to Reply, Forward, New Mail Message, etc., get "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" window with the following contents: Runtime Error! Program: C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE\OUTLOOK.EXE abnormal program termination Clicking on OK terminates Outlook. Have tried numerous "fixes" without success... driving me nuts. ...

Problem with IMF #2
We use MS Intelligent Message Filtering with Exchange2003. It works fine, except that one important message is blocked by it even when it should come through. Is there any way to say to IMF that one message (from or to) will not be processed by IMF ? ...

Download statement problem #2
I have a problem with Money 2006 while attempting to download a statement for one of my visa credit cards - I click the link on the banks website and Money prompts with the standard "Import complete" dialog, but instead of opening the account so I can Accept and reconcile the transactions, it takes me to the Account List screen, where it indicates 5 items to review from the statement. I click the account link to open the ledger but nothing happens. In the top-left corner it says "Item(s) to review: 5" but doesn't bold the entries and give my the opportunity to g...

Outlook preview vs normal mode
Outlook 2007. When you open an email with attachments you can see the body of the email. When you click on an attachment the email goes into a preview mode of some kind, with a list of attachments and previews of the attachments, but you can't see the email text any more. Without closing the email and reopening it, how do you go back to the normal view? "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message news:e17bn91xKHA.5576@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Outlook 2007. When you open an email with attachments you can see the body > of the ...

windows search problem....
Hello! I have strange problem with windows search engine... i have 100000 txt files and im looking for special phrase in few txt files i know that phrase exist but windows search give me no information - can`t find. But on the other computer on the same phrase and same files works good. I have reinstall windows search ... but problem still exist... how can i resolve it? regards - HE ...

Crystal Report viewer problem in 1.2
We ran into an error message when trying to view any report "Information is needed before this report can be processed". This just after upgrade from Windows 2000 + CRM 1.0 to Windows 2003 + CRM 1.2. According to one tech kb note, we checked and has the "Everyone" and the CRM server in the "Pre-Windows 2000 compaible" account... Anyone know what could be the problem here? Thanks Any luck resolving this? I just ran across this too... ...

Organize Problem
One feature with Organize is to be able to selectively pick a sender and have all the emails that come in from the sender in a specific color (for example, all emails from your boss could come in red). Unfortunately for everyone I've talked to in my company, this does not work correctly. If you select a message from your boss, let's say "Mike Smith", every message from ANY Mike will come in red. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Thanks! Try editing the Automatic Formatting rules directly and you'll be able to specify an e-mail address instead of a ...

Font Issue in Excel 2004 after Upgrading to 10.6.2
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3342685511_8125105 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit Recently I upgraded to 10.6, now 10.6.2. I have had several problems. Even though I followed instructions about dealing with font problems resulting from the upgrade, I am having a definite font problem in Excel 2004 (but not Word). The font for previously created documents is not the one I used or the size I used. And even though I...

Problems deleting email addresses from address book
I use Windows Mail and I have tried by several of the usual ways to delete individual entries but every time an error message comes up with "Windows Explorer has stopped working" and not possible. Last time the only way I could do it was to delete the address book and so when I started Windows mail it started a new one. I had to re-input the data which was a ruddy nuisance. Any ideas of what I could try next? Where did you try to delete them? Inside of Windows Mail? Try going to Windows Explorer to the Contacts folder and delete there, see if there is any diff...

Exchange vs Sharepoint
Currently using GP 8.0. I will be purchasing a new HP DL380, 2.0, 8 Geg ram. I need to share Outlook calenders. I have no need for Exchange mail functions (I use a pop server). I have a small business and I do not need any of Sharepoint's "workflow" features. In relation to the new capabilities of GP version 10, what are the benefits of purchasing Exchange with out Sharepoint? Thank you. Your comment "I have no need for Exchange mail functions (I use a pop server). " sort of sums it up. That is what Exchange does, email. And if you have no use for Sharepoint...

Outlook 2000 SP3
There has been so much hype about email worms/ viruses but I still don't understand everything I'd like to. When an email arrives in my Inbox, it will display in the preview pane as soon as I single click in the message header in the Header pane. My question is: Is that equivalent to opening the mail message and therefore launching whatever script/ executable is embedded in the body of the email? I'm concerned because any HTML type messages will instantly begin to render simply by single click and preview. Given concerns about HTML based spyware, worms, etc. I'm thinking the...

Business Portal Query Problems
I installed Business Portal for a client some time last fall. Since that time, the site has not been used, but I know when I installed it, it worked fine. As of today, I can't seem to get anything to load correctly. For example, I go to the vendor list, and it says "Query found no results." I know that there are vendors. We have the Human Resources Self Service Suite installed, and I can see the employees, but when I click to see pay informaiton, I receive the message "Query found no results." Can you give me an idea of where to start to troubleshoot this is...

ISA Server 2004 vs Checkpoint with Exchange 2003
As we all know, MS now recommends installing a front-facing ISA Server and leaving your frontend on your internal network, rather than the old, less-secure method of putting a frontend in a DMZ. MS's big argument for ISA Server even when you have another firewall (e.g. a PIX) is stateful inspection. Checkpoint also offers stateful inspection and in fact pioneered it. Pricing aside -- say you already have Checkpoint Firewall or have a good relationship with them for pricing -- what would be the compelling reasons to choose ISA Server 2004 instead, or would there be any? I haven't been a...

How about a petition to get Money for Window Mobile 5 or 6
Has anyone thought about creating a petition at www.petitiononline.com? That way it can get more exposure. "Brady Holt" <BradyHolt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E882ED9-46AD-408C-93F8-C8C213B670CE@microsoft.com... > Has anyone thought about creating a petition at www.petitiononline.com? > That > way it can get more exposure. go for it and post back here. I'm not sure how non-futile it would be but it couldn't hurt I guess. ...

Second Post: CRM SDK Problem
Hi I am using the code provided in the SDK to retrieve all Incidents for the all accounts, I displayed the string which contains the result from the database query (result of the retrieve method) using Response.Write . I get a display as shown below {99A3A57E-ACD0-4307-9CF4-D9D4C6C34B3F}{DEFDD353-8D3C-4C2E- 938E-F1B6C9BAF2CA}2003-10-27T09:30:22-08:00CAS-010862003- 10-27T09:30:22-08:00{6523D3D9-4D47-4981-9518-870B421E2AE3} {6523D3D9-4D47-4981-9518-870B421E2AE3}01{8ED32717-8930- 4FCD-BC43-A7CB141C82C7}{6523D3D9-4D47-4981-9518- 870B421E2AE3} Please do help as I am not able to get the XM...