VS 2010 and VS 2008

Just spent a happy Sunday morning installing VS 2010.

Plus point: it found one syntax error in my several thousand .cpp files
which VS 2008 missed.

Problems: one or two minor ones not yet resolved.

Is there any reason why a resource only DLL compiled with VS2008 should not
work properly with a program compiled with VS2010 ?

What about other non-MFC DLLs with a pure C interface?

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software

David
5/23/2010 11:52:42 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

>Is there any reason why a resource only DLL compiled with VS2008 should not
>work properly with a program compiled with VS2010 ?

None that I can imagine.

>What about other non-MFC DLLs with a pure C interface?

Again, it ought to work.

Dave Lowndes
0
David
5/23/2010 1:43:55 PM

"David Lowndes" <DavidL@example.invalid> wrote in message

>>Is there any reason why a resource only DLL compiled with VS2008 should
>>not
>>work properly with a program compiled with VS2010 ?
>
> None that I can imagine.
>
>>What about other non-MFC DLLs with a pure C interface?
>
> Again, it ought to work.

Thought so.   Thanks for the confirmation.

I was getting asserts when passing a NULL hInstance to
AfxSetResourceHandle() in the 2010 compilation.   I thought perhaps it
wasn't loading the resource DLL's (and thus getting a NULL hInstance).
After I posted the question I recompiled all my DLLs with VS2010 and still
had the problem.

So I replaced
    AfxSetResourceHandle( hInstance );
everywhere with
   if( hInstance ) AfxSetResourceHandle( hInstance );

and it seems to work - all tests have been passed thus far.

So maybe, while  AfxSetResourceHandle( NULL )  asserts in 2010, it was
fail-safe in 2008, and I just hadn't noticed that hInstance could be NULL in
some circumstances.

It might be something to look out for, for anyone upgrading the compiler.

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion and support see

David
5/23/2010 2:22:45 PM
See below...
On Sun, 23 May 2010 12:52:42 +0100, "David Webber" <dave@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>
wrote:

>Just spent a happy Sunday morning installing VS 2010.
>
>Plus point: it found one syntax error in my several thousand .cpp files
>which VS 2008 missed.
>
>Problems: one or two minor ones not yet resolved.
>
>Is there any reason why a resource only DLL compiled with VS2008 should not
>work properly with a program compiled with VS2010 ?
****
Since there is no code, there should be no difference between the two.
****

>What about other non-MFC DLLs with a pure C interface?
***
Depends.  Do they use the C Runtime (CRT)?  If so, do they statically link it or used the
shared C runtime DLL?

If they use the shared C runtime DLL, you might have problems.  If they statically link,
you have the problems of having multiple heaps being managed by multiple runtimes.  This
hazard has not change because of VS2010.
				joe
****

>Dave
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
5/23/2010 4:06:20 PM
> Is there any reason why a resource only DLL compiled with VS2008 should not
> work properly with a program compiled with VS2010 ?

No idea why. Except maybe something crazy with manifests?
It might also depend if it is really resource only, or if there is an
entry point.
(if you don't use LoadLibraryEx with LOAD_LIBRARY_AS_DATAFILE,
LOAD_LIBRARY_AS_DATAFILE_EXCLUSIVE, LOAD_LIBRARY_AS_IMAGE_RESOURCE,
or DONT_RESOLVE_DLL_REFERENCES, then you would need a DllMain)

Maybe a dumpbin /all and a diff would help.

--
Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Visual C++]
http://www.mihai-nita.net

Mihai
5/23/2010 6:58:36 PM

"Mihai N." <nmihai_year_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Is there any reason why a resource only DLL compiled with VS2008 should
>> not
>> work properly with a program compiled with VS2010 ?
>
> No idea why. Except maybe something crazy with manifests?
> It might also depend if it is really resource only, or if there is an
> entry point.
> (if you don't use LoadLibraryEx with LOAD_LIBRARY_AS_DATAFILE,
> LOAD_LIBRARY_AS_DATAFILE_EXCLUSIVE, LOAD_LIBRARY_AS_IMAGE_RESOURCE,
> or DONT_RESOLVE_DLL_REFERENCES, then you would need a DllMain)

In fact I appear to be loading them with good old LoadLibrary  but their
projects have no .cpp files at all, just an .rc file and a few .h files.
No DllMain.

Anyway it seems to be working now, but Joe has alerted me to a potential
problem with another DLL - a 3rd party library which is not resource only!

Thanks.

Dave
--

*
> Depends.  Do they use the C Runtime (CRT)?  If so, do they statically link
> it or used the
> shared C runtime DLL?
>
> If they use the shared C runtime DLL, you might have problems.  If they
> statically link,
> you have the problems of having multiple heaps being managed by multiple
> runtimes.  This
> hazard has not change because of VS2010.

Doh!!!!!!   Yes I am linking with the Xerces XML library, and it is a
version which good old dependency walker tells me uses MSVCR90.DLL, whereas
my newly compiled program and DLLs now use  MSVCR100.DLL.

Whilst it isn't immediately obvious to me that this shouldn't work (and it
seems to), as IIRC the C run-time doesn't do such nasty things as the MFC
DLL, it does seem rather inelegant to say the least, and leaves me with all
sorts of insidious nagging doubts.   I'll see if the Xerces people have an
update or, failing that, recompile it myself.

Thanks for the warning - it woke me up!!!!!

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion and support see

David
5/24/2010 2:29:42 PM
> In fact I appear to be loading them with good old LoadLibrary  but their
> projects have no .cpp files at all, just an .rc file and a few .h files.
> No DllMain.

Then something is weird. That should not work.
Plain LoadLibrary requires a DllMain.
Can be almost empy, but should be there.

--
Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Visual C++]
http://www.mihai-nita.net

Mihai
5/25/2010 7:38:36 AM

>> In fact I appear to be loading them with good old LoadLibrary  but their
>> projects have no .cpp files at all, just an .rc file and a few .h files.
>> No DllMain.
>
> Then something is weird. That should not work.
> Plain LoadLibrary requires a DllMain.
> Can be almost empy, but should be there.

I went through this a year or two ago trying LoadLibraryEx with the
appropriate flags, and eventually settled on the way I'm doing it.

I *think* there was something in the project settings but I can't for the
life on me remember what it was.    These are language resource modules, and
whenever I've created a new one, I've just copied an old project and changed
the name, and so it was quite a long time ago when I was worrying about it.

Looking again, the only thing which jumps out at me is that the project
properties include the linker flag /NOENTRY

It looks like that is sufficient to allow LoadLibrary to load it as a
resource only DLL.   Maybe it effectively introduces an implicit DllMain?
[I certainly don't have one of my own, or any C++ files,  and the IDE's
properties dialogue is smart enough not even to offer me a C/C++ section!]

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion and support see

David
5/25/2010 1:57:48 PM
I've been doing more and more on 2010 and one thing that bugs me is that any
statically linked MFC program gets an extra 1.5MB of stuff in the EXE for
the Feature Pack controls whether or not they are used.  At least with 2008
you could not install them if you didn't want to use them.  I know this was
also true in the beta, but I thought they were going to make it link
sensitive, but apparently it has something to do with the ribbon editor
being part of the resource editor so the code get sucked in regardless (even
if you do a console app).

I have one program I'll have to leave on 2008 since it needs to be as small
as possible.  In VC6 it was around 300K, in 2008 it was around 500K and with
2010 it is 2568K.  Same code just compile three ways and nothing but basic
controls used (no feature pack stuff).

I still like VS 2010 and for most of my programs an extra 1.5MB wouldn't
make a difference, but it seems rude to include functions from a library
that aren't actually used.

I really like the new IDE improvements and new "lack of" manifest support
:o)

Tom

"David Webber" <dave@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk> wrote in message
> Just spent a happy Sunday morning installing VS 2010.
>
> Plus point: it found one syntax error in my several thousand .cpp files
> which VS 2008 missed.
>
> Problems: one or two minor ones not yet resolved.
>
> Is there any reason why a resource only DLL compiled with VS2008 should
> not work properly with a program compiled with VS2010 ?
>
> What about other non-MFC DLLs with a pure C interface?
>
> Dave
> --
> David Webber
> Mozart Music Software
> http://www.mozart.co.uk
> For discussion and support see

Tom
5/25/2010 11:07:18 PM
>I have one program I'll have to leave on 2008 since it needs to be as small
>as possible.  In VC6 it was around 300K, in 2008 it was around 500K and with
>2010 it is 2568K.  Same code just compile three ways and nothing but basic
>controls used (no feature pack stuff).

Tom,

While it's not a bug as such, I'd submit a bug report for it on the
connect site.

Many moons ago MS put some effort into making the VC/MFC libraries
more modular so that only the required bits were pulled in for static
links. It seems like this desirable characteristic has been swept
under the carpet just lately.

Dave
0
David
5/25/2010 11:39:58 PM
Already done.  I think it's been a problem for a number of people.
Fortunately, I don't do many programs statically linked.  I knew this was a
problem during the beta, but I thought they were going to fix it for the
RTM.  Alas.

Tom

>>I have one program I'll have to leave on 2008 since it needs to be as
>>small
>>as possible.  In VC6 it was around 300K, in 2008 it was around 500K and
>>with
>>2010 it is 2568K.  Same code just compile three ways and nothing but basic
>>controls used (no feature pack stuff).
>
> Tom,
>
> While it's not a bug as such, I'd submit a bug report for it on the
> connect site.
>
> Many moons ago MS put some effort into making the VC/MFC libraries
> more modular so that only the required bits were pulled in for static
> links. It seems like this desirable characteristic has been swept
> under the carpet just lately.
>
> Dave

0
Tom
5/25/2010 11:50:01 PM
Of course, could be just something I'm doing wrong as well... that's always
a possibility.

Tom

"David Lowndes" <DavidL@example.invalid> wrote in message
>>I have one program I'll have to leave on 2008 since it needs to be as
>>small
>>as possible.  In VC6 it was around 300K, in 2008 it was around 500K and
>>with
>>2010 it is 2568K.  Same code just compile three ways and nothing but basic
>>controls used (no feature pack stuff).
>
> Tom,
>
> While it's not a bug as such, I'd submit a bug report for it on the
> connect site.
>
> Many moons ago MS put some effort into making the VC/MFC libraries
> more modular so that only the required bits were pulled in for static
> links. It seems like this desirable characteristic has been swept
> under the carpet just lately.
>
> Dave

0
Tom
5/25/2010 11:50:22 PM
>Already done.

Got a link to the bug report?

Dave
0
David
5/25/2010 11:54:41 PM
This is what I saw earlier, maybe just feedback rather than a bug?

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/504714/statically-linked-mfc-applications-are-massive?wa=wsignin1.0

Tom

>>Already done.
>
> Got a link to the bug report?
>
> Dave

0
Tom
5/26/2010 5:08:23 AM
> Looking again, the only thing which jumps out at me is that the project
> properties include the linker flag /NOENTRY

That is only to make the linker shut up.
But LoadLibrary should still fail, from what I know.
Weird, I have to check.

--
Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Visual C++]
http://www.mihai-nita.net

Mihai
5/26/2010 9:42:08 AM
> I have one program I'll have to leave on 2008 since it needs to be as small
> as possible.

You can also give a try to UPX (http://upx.sourceforge.net/)
Does a good job, stable, and very popular.

You pay a small performance penalty at startup (to uncompress in memory),
but you also gain something by loading fewer bytes from disk, which is slow.
Overall, you will probably not notice.

--
Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Visual C++]
http://www.mihai-nita.net

Mihai
5/26/2010 9:45:14 AM

>> Looking again, the only thing which jumps out at me is that the project
>> properties include the linker flag /NOENTRY
>
> That is only to make the linker shut up.
> But LoadLibrary should still fail, from what I know.
> Weird, I have to check.

I vaguely remember that resource-only DLLs have been possible for quite a
long time - possibly before new fangled ideas like LoadLibraryEx() ?

Just a thought - I may be wrong.

Dave

--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion and support see

David
5/26/2010 9:54:04 AM
"Mihai N." <nmihai_year_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Looking again, the only thing which jumps out at me is that the project
>> properties include the linker flag /NOENTRY
>
> That is only to make the linker shut up.
> But LoadLibrary should still fail, from what I know.
> Weird, I have to check.

Just to be specific, here is my code, complete with old comments!   (My
class USERMODULE manages the loading of menus and other resources when the
user wants one of the non-English language options.  This is a low-level
private static member used by the class.   I think the only reason this
member exists at all was to encapsulate my experiments on different
methods!)

HINSTANCE USERMODULE::muLanguageDllLoad( LPCTSTR pszName )
{
   HINSTANCE hInstLanguage(NULL);

   // Test various options for loading resource-only DLL:

// hInstLanguage = ::LoadLibraryEx( pszName, NULL,
LOAD_LIBRARY_AS_DATAFILE );
// hInstLanguage = ::AfxLoadLibrary( pszName );

   hInstLanguage = ::LoadLibrary( pszName );

   return hInstLanguage;
}

It appears I have been remiss in not noting *why* I chose that one of the
three options :-(

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion and support see

David
5/26/2010 10:07:13 AM
> I vaguely remember that resource-only DLLs have been possible for quite a
> long time - possibly before new fangled ideas like LoadLibraryEx() ?

You needed a DllMain, from what I remember
(it was possible to build them, but not to load them)

--
Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Visual C++]
http://www.mihai-nita.net

Mihai
5/27/2010 8:27:11 AM
It should work, as long as you don't try to delete the XML tree by using any means other
than calling a delete/free function in the XML library.  The classic problem with the
multiple heaps is the DLL allocates objects but specifies the caller should call 'free',
and when you call 'free' you're calling the wrong runtime and end up getting assertion
failures everywhere.  OTOH, if the library provides a "free objects" mechanism of its own,
it calls 'free' for its own heap, and there is no conflict.

The multiple-heaps problem only arises when the .exe and the .dll actually have an
implicit dependence on having a single heap.  By providing a DLL which has its own methods
to free objects, it calls the free function on its own heap.

MFC has the same problems with new and delete of objects; and in addition, the MFC handle
maps are local to each instance of the MFC DLL, which results in incredible confusion if
there are HWND mappings and other mappings of handles that are interpreted differently by
the DLL and the .EXE (again, if all operations are confined to the library, but in MFC
that's harder to guarantee)
				joe

On Mon, 24 May 2010 15:29:42 +0100, "David Webber" <dave@musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>
wrote:

>>>What about other non-MFC DLLs with a pure C interface?
>*
>> Depends.  Do they use the C Runtime (CRT)?  If so, do they statically link
>> it or used the
>> shared C runtime DLL?
>>
>> If they use the shared C runtime DLL, you might have problems.  If they
>> statically link,
>> you have the problems of having multiple heaps being managed by multiple
>> runtimes.  This
>> hazard has not change because of VS2010.
>
>Doh!!!!!!   Yes I am linking with the Xerces XML library, and it is a
>version which good old dependency walker tells me uses MSVCR90.DLL, whereas
>my newly compiled program and DLLs now use  MSVCR100.DLL.
>
>Whilst it isn't immediately obvious to me that this shouldn't work (and it
>seems to), as IIRC the C run-time doesn't do such nasty things as the MFC
>DLL, it does seem rather inelegant to say the least, and leaves me with all
>sorts of insidious nagging doubts.   I'll see if the Xerces people have an
>update or, failing that, recompile it myself.
>
>Thanks for the warning - it woke me up!!!!!
>
>Dave
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
5/28/2010 11:57:54 PM
No LoadLibrary does *not* require a DllMain.  If you specify /NOENTRY to the linker when
you build the DLL, it has no entry point, and no code.  This is common for resource-only
DLLs.

IF a DllMain is present (actually, a specified entry point, since the entry point is *not*
DllMain, ever; like main, it is something called from the runtime support), THEN it will
be called when the DLL is loaded, whether implicitly or explicitly.  If there is no entry
point, nothing will be called.
					joe

On Tue, 25 May 2010 00:38:36 -0700, "Mihai N." <nmihai_year_2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> In fact I appear to be loading them with good old LoadLibrary  but their
>> projects have no .cpp files at all, just an .rc file and a few .h files.
>> No DllMain.
>
>Then something is weird. That should not work.
>Plain LoadLibrary requires a DllMain.
>Can be almost empy, but should be there.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
5/29/2010 2:54:57 PM
> No LoadLibrary does *not* require a DllMain.  If you specify /NOENTRY to
> the linker when
> you build the DLL, it has no entry point, and no code.  This is common
> for resource-only DLLs.

I know it is true these days.
But I am pretty sure that at some point (Win 9x?) LoadLibrary failed
if you did not  have a DllMain.

For resource only dlls the option was to have a dummy DllMain returning
TRUE or to use LoadLibraryEx(DONT_RESOLVE_DLL_REFERENCES)

But since LoadLibraryEx was introduced in Windows 2000, the only way
to use resource only dlls on Win 9x was to use have a DllMain.

--
Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Visual C++]
http://www.mihai-nita.net

Mihai
5/30/2010 9:45:46 AM
See below...
On Sun, 30 May 2010 02:45:46 -0700, "Mihai N." <nmihai_year_2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> No LoadLibrary does *not* require a DllMain.  If you specify /NOENTRY to
>> the linker when
>> you build the DLL, it has no entry point, and no code.  This is common
>> for resource-only DLLs.
>
>I know it is true these days.
>But I am pretty sure that at some point (Win 9x?) LoadLibrary failed
>if you did not  have a DllMain.
***
It is entirely possible the brain-dead MS-DOS implementation failed.  I was using
resource-only DLLs in Windows NT 3.1, 3.51, and 4.0.  I never cared a whole lot about what
imitation Windows systems did.
				joe
****

> It should work, as long as you don't try to delete the XML tree...

It's ok I have adopted a version of Xerces compiled with VS 2010.   I feel
happier now :-)

Dave

--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion and support see

David
6/1/2010 12:07:14 AM

>> No LoadLibrary does *not* require a DllMain.  If you specify /NOENTRY to
>> the linker when
>> you build the DLL, it has no entry point, and no code.  This is common
>> for resource-only DLLs.
>
> I know it is true these days.
> But I am pretty sure that at some point (Win 9x?) LoadLibrary failed
> if you did not  have a DllMain.
>
> For resource only dlls the option was to have a dummy DllMain returning
> TRUE or to use LoadLibraryEx(DONT_RESOLVE_DLL_REFERENCES)
>
> But since LoadLibraryEx was introduced in Windows 2000, the only way
> to use resource only dlls on Win 9x was to use have a DllMain.

Looking back at a previous version of my software, which will run on Win98,
I see that my "resource-only" DLLs did indeed have a one-line DDLMain.    It
seems I only got rid of that in the most recent version of the software
which requires XP or later.    So I can't gainsay you on that.

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software
http://www.mozart.co.uk
For discussion and support see

David

use Pathfinder instead of finder in Office 2008?
I am using Word 12.1.2. on Mac OSX 10.5.5. I have installed Pathfinder as a replacement for Finder. However, when I "save" or "save as" in Office documents, the original apple Finder is invoked. Is there any way to get Office 2008 to use Pathfinder by default instead? newtomac wrote: > I am using Word 12.1.2. on Mac OSX 10.5.5. I have installed Pathfinder as a > replacement for Finder. However, when I "save" or "save as" in Office > documents, the original apple Finder is invoked. Is there any way to get > Office 2008 to use Pathfinde...

Contacts vs Addressbook
Running Windows XP Home Edition and Outlook 2000. It "appears" that Contacts and Addressbook are synchronized. I need to be able to have Contacts contain phone information for my Palm download and Address Book contain e-mail addresses. HOW can I make the distinction??? Thanks.................Dr Bob this is going to be more of a concern through your PDA sync software as opposed to actual Outlook... i.s. >-----Original Message----- >Running Windows XP Home Edition and Outlook 2000. > >It "appears" that Contacts and Addressbook are >synchronized. I ...

Dell PV124-T autoloader recognized as standalone drive in DPM 2010
I have a Dell PowerVault PV124-T autoloader that seems to be supported natively by Windows Server 2008 R2 (latest drivers from Dell aren't even recognized as valid for installation in 2008), but in DPM 2010, it's only recognized as a standalone drive. I found a forum thread from a couple of years ago in which the poster had a similar issue--in his case, he disabled the RSM (Removable Storage?) service and the drive was then recognized properly. I can't find that service, so I assume it's not an option for me. What can I do to cause the autoloader to be recogniz...

Can't open workbook in excel 64 bit 2010
I made a xlsm file that allows me to grab charts from excel pages and save them as pictures in folder or on an ftp server. It work just fine in 2007 and in 2010 32 bit. However, in Excel 2010 64 bit it does not work. As it will not open the workbook it keeps displaying the erro cannot find workbook. I am having this problem in several different macros. I have researsched everywhere to find out what piece of code I am not updating. The two macros I use on this particular workbook are attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated. see subsequent 3 post do to posting size ...

WLM vs Hotmail
I posted a question a few days ago about WLMD and got a reply which included the mention of the D having been dropped some time ago which begs the question how does one tell the versions? Or, maybe I'm mistaken but when I go online and log into my ID, it's listed as Windows Live Mail. I had thought the former Hotmail and MSN mail were being merged into the new Live Mail but if the desktop version is also Windows Live Mail, I must be mistaken. Hotmail, MSN Mail, etc were created originally as web-based mail services. Traditionally, a subscriber would use a web-browser...

Problem with VS.Net Class View
Hello All I am working on a relatively large application suite consisting of around 20 VC++ Projects. We have created a solution and added all the projects to it. I am facing problems while using auto hide feature of VS.Net 2003 Class View. Every other tab like solution explorer etc are working fine but the class view takes a lot of time to display. Auto hide is a very cool feature but because of the time delay in loading the class view i can not use it properly (it takes a lot of time to parse the classes being diaplyed). Has any one faced this problem and is there any solution availabl...

VS 2005 vs VS 2002
Is it worth upgrading to VS.net 2005 from our VS.net 2002 Enterprise? All we can seem to get into 2002 are monochrome, 16 colour and 256 colour icons. So can 2005 handle Vista icons with alpha channel colours? Or is the problem that we are running on XP? > Is it worth upgrading to VS.net 2005 from our VS.net 2002 Enterprise? > > All we can seem to get into 2002 are monochrome, 16 colour and 256 colour > icons. So can 2005 handle Vista icons with alpha channel colours? Or is the > problem that we are running on XP? I dont have any idea about the specific issue you wrote. ...

Exchange vs Sharepoint
Currently using GP 8.0. I will be purchasing a new HP DL380, 2.0, 8 Geg ram. I need to share Outlook calenders. I have no need for Exchange mail functions (I use a pop server). I have a small business and I do not need any of Sharepoint's "workflow" features. In relation to the new capabilities of GP version 10, what are the benefits of purchasing Exchange with out Sharepoint? Thank you. Your comment "I have no need for Exchange mail functions (I use a pop server). " sort of sums it up. That is what Exchange does, email. And if you have no use for Sharepoint...

Outlook preview vs normal mode
Outlook 2007. When you open an email with attachments you can see the body of the email. When you click on an attachment the email goes into a preview mode of some kind, with a list of attachments and previews of the attachments, but you can't see the email text any more. Without closing the email and reopening it, how do you go back to the normal view? "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message news:e17bn91xKHA.5576@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Outlook 2007. When you open an email with attachments you can see the body > of the ...

ISA Server 2004 vs Checkpoint with Exchange 2003
As we all know, MS now recommends installing a front-facing ISA Server and leaving your frontend on your internal network, rather than the old, less-secure method of putting a frontend in a DMZ. MS's big argument for ISA Server even when you have another firewall (e.g. a PIX) is stateful inspection. Checkpoint also offers stateful inspection and in fact pioneered it. Pricing aside -- say you already have Checkpoint Firewall or have a good relationship with them for pricing -- what would be the compelling reasons to choose ISA Server 2004 instead, or would there be any? I haven't been a...

2003 vs 2007
I have a template that was created in 2003. Then I did a bunch of updates in 2007 but in compatible mode. In order to do the drop-downs, etc., in tables, I had to go back to 2003. Now, when I open the template in 2007, lots of features such as editing the header/footer are not available. Why is that? It appears that if I use 2003 to edit you can no longer use 2007 for full editing. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks, -- Barbara R If this is a protected form, you will find the form tools on Word 2007's Developer Tab (which is not displayed by default...

Outlook 2000 SP3
There has been so much hype about email worms/ viruses but I still don't understand everything I'd like to. When an email arrives in my Inbox, it will display in the preview pane as soon as I single click in the message header in the Header pane. My question is: Is that equivalent to opening the mail message and therefore launching whatever script/ executable is embedded in the body of the email? I'm concerned because any HTML type messages will instantly begin to render simply by single click and preview. Given concerns about HTML based spyware, worms, etc. I'm thinking the...

Budget vs. Cash Flow
Hi, Thanks for taking time to review my question (and it might be a stupid one). I'm using (just installed for the first time) MS Money 2004 Premium. It seems Budget and Cash Flow are duking it out, and Cash Flow is winning. What I mean is to ask is, is it possible to create a budget that balances out fine according to one's income, yet Cash Flow shows that the sum of flow will gradually go farther and farther into the red every month? Or, is it that the Cash Flow is independant, and I have to tell it that everything is going to be alright? Btw, I've already setup reoccuring deposi...

Cost Variance posting in 7.5 vs 9.0
My client just upgraded from 7.5 to 9.0. When they do a PO shipment receipt for an item where a cost override exists, 9.0 is automatically making and posting cost variance adjustments to the GL. In 7.5, the adjustments printed on the journal but had to be made manually in GL. Is this new functionalty in 9.0? Is there a way to turn off posting to GL just for cost variances? Thanks! This is a new feature in version 9.0. One of the weaknesses of GP 8.0 and lower was the calculation of average costs in inventory. As you know, the average cost of an item will change when inventory is rec...

Print Preview
Hi, I had posted this earlier. But no answer. I wish to request for help again. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I recently just tried to upgrade a VC++6.0 app to a VC++7.1 version (ie. Net). I found one difference in the Print Preview. In 6.0, the print preview fills up the whole app, i.e it fills up the MDI main frame window. But when I ported my app to 7.1, it fills up the MDI Child frame instead. Now I did a search and it seemst hat microsoft has been changing this behavior back and forth since V4.x onwards. I al...

2003 vs previous version
Hi, I use MSNStockQuote functions in 2002 version. Now, it seems no longer exists in 2003. I can use the smart tags, but it works entirely differently. Wonder if anyone knows if I am missing something or MS does it again, like the new ASP.net does not back support ASP...! -- thanks in advance for your input, EM I don't have 2003 but it might help to do a windows find on *iqy to see where they are in 2002 and in 2003. Copy over or download? I really don't know if this will help but it's what I would try. BTW, I use Yahoo and download quotes with an query instead of the iq...

dpm 2010 not backing up some file
I get this error. DPM could not backup some of the required files for this Data source. This could be because of intermittent failures or if the file type is unsupported. No. of files that failed to synchronize: 33 Next synchronization will try to backup these files again. (ID 32526) Most of these are *.exe or *.zip files. The Failedfileslog shows 0x80070005 \\?\Volume{1cb2dc47-1796-11dd-a492-001f2971c84f}\<directory path to files> WHY???? Since DPM backs up the files off a snapshot, the files in question on the snapshot volume might be being used exclus...

CRM 3.0 Units vs Teams vs Territories Which to Use
We recently certified on CRM 3.0 and now have a major debate going on as to what should be defined as a Business Unit, Territory or Team or even Site. For example, we have two offices: east (also Head Office) and west. We have a large sales group in the East office and groups of service staff: consulting, professional, technical, infrastructure, training as wel as Coporate (Finance,HR, Admin). We are a major IT Reseller and service provider. It has been suggested that teams should be more temporary or smaller sections of units. Any advice on what should be a business unit: just...

Select All for Parameter in SSRS 2008
In a SSRS 2008 report that is enabled for multiple values from a dataset. How can you set the default to (Select All) which is automatically added or defaults to check all the values? ...

CRM 3 SBE vs PRo version?
Hi, where I can find a simple sheet which compare these 2 versions? the small business edition is flagged to be easier to install... but what else??? thanks. Jerome. Functionally they are virtually similar. The only real functional difference is that SBE takes advantage of the built-in SBS fax capabilities. SBE is also limited on user count. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "J�j�" <willgart@BBBhotmailAAA.com> wrote in message news:urxYyhx6FHA.3592@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... Hi, where I can find a simple sheet which compare these 2 versions? the small business editio...

Calculation
I don't fully understand how Excel's manual vs automatic setting works. We work with large formula-intensive spreadsheets, and NEVER want the setting to be automatic. What I have figured out is that if I crash, the setting resets to automatic. And, if I save a spreadsheet with Manual setting, it stays Manual next time I open it, unless Excel is already open with Calc = automatic. Is this right? But my key question: Is there any way to ensure that Excel remains calculation=manual at all times when a file is opened? If nothing else, can we add a piece of code to our template...

VS Tools
At the PO customization screen, i had added new button using 'modify current window'. How i can access this button event through VS tools? I had re-generate the dictionary assembly, but i still cannot find the object i created in the visual studio .net. You're on the right track. Here are few things you need to verify. 1) When you used DAG.exe to create your application assembly for the modified dictionary, be sure that you used the /F flag. That tells DAG to create an assembly for the forms dictionary. 2) You'll see that the assembly created has the ModifiedForms tack...

static numbers vs formulas
Hello, I have what I am sure is a very basic question but I am clueless. Can someone explain to me the difference between a static number vs formula/calculation? Does it mean the number is constant? How do I change a calculation into a static number? Thanks for any help -- mlk7 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mlk72's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1631 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27704 Hi a formula gets re-calculated if the refereced cells are changed. You can ...

XmlTextReader vs. XmlValidatingReader
I am a bit puzzled about the differences between XmlTextReader and XmlValidatingReader. I have been able to successfully load a DataSet object from and XML file via the text reader. However, when I replace it (xtr) by a validating reader (vxtr), the DataSet object is Nothing. No errors have been indicated by the validating reader (and the XML file is valid for its embedded <schema> ). So what gives? [The real problem I'm trying to solve has to do with <xs:import>'s in the schema, but that is another post.] dsResults.Clear() ' A FileStream is...

Kosmos vs Nitrosell vs RMSCart
Please help the new users to slect the right shopping cart with your comment on your Pro and Con experiences with these systems including cost, supports, hosting, SEO marketing, storage space etc. Also need a solution for ebay/ prostores integration. please help. You can email me if you wish. sales@decoraapparel.com thanks Akbar, Search the newsgroup for Kosmos & Nitrosell. You'll get more information than you know what to do with it. If you don't get many hits on the newsgroup, go to Google groups. They have every post going back many years. I'm sure you'll find ...