Visual Studio can't open resource file in Resource View after IDE crash

Hello,

I have a strange problem with Visual Studio .NET 2003, I hope that
this is the appropriate newsgroup. After adding an icon resource
to my project, Visual Studio crashed, and after restarting it, it
was unable to open my project's resource file in the resource view
pane. It displays the name of the rc file, but when I click the
"+" beside it to open the resources, nothing happens, and the
"+" disappears. There is no error message.

Restarting Visual Studio and rebuilding my project didn't help.
I can open all other projects' resource files without problems.
I reverted the .rc file, .vcproj file, and resource.h back to
the previous (known working) versions, without success.

Google'ing for similar symptoms didn't help either ... so, did
anyone have that problem before, and does anyone know what I can
do to bring resource view back to life?

Thanks for any help
W. Roesler
0
wr1 (20)
1/25/2006 11:09:19 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

What happens if you double click .rc file from the solutions explorer OR
right click the .rc file->open with resource editor.

--
Vipin Aravind

"Wolfram Roesler" <wr@spam.la> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a strange problem with Visual Studio .NET 2003, I hope that
> this is the appropriate newsgroup. After adding an icon resource
> to my project, Visual Studio crashed, and after restarting it, it
> was unable to open my project's resource file in the resource view
> pane. It displays the name of the rc file, but when I click the
> "+" beside it to open the resources, nothing happens, and the
> "+" disappears. There is no error message.
>
> Restarting Visual Studio and rebuilding my project didn't help.
> I can open all other projects' resource files without problems.
> I reverted the .rc file, .vcproj file, and resource.h back to
> the previous (known working) versions, without success.
>
> Google'ing for similar symptoms didn't help either ... so, did
> anyone have that problem before, and does anyone know what I can
> do to bring resource view back to life?
>
> Thanks for any help
> W. Roesler

0
vipin (697)
1/25/2006 1:42:21 PM
"Vipin [MVP]" <Vipin@nospam.com> wrote in news:OKJksUbIGHA.2320
@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:

> What happens if you double click .rc file from the solutions explorer

This switches to resource view, with the same defect as
described before.

> OR right click the .rc file->open with resource editor.

This works fine, opening the resource file's contents in an
editor window (not in the resource view pane).

Thanks for your help
W. Roesler
0
wr1 (20)
1/25/2006 3:51:34 PM
It could be that the actually .RC file got hit.  I would just open it in
Notepad and see what is in it.  If part of it got lost (I.E., was writing
when system crashed and some or all of the information missing from the
file) I would just restore it from a previous version and that should fix
the problem.

Tom

"Wolfram Roesler" <wr@spam.la> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a strange problem with Visual Studio .NET 2003, I hope that
> this is the appropriate newsgroup. After adding an icon resource
> to my project, Visual Studio crashed, and after restarting it, it
> was unable to open my project's resource file in the resource view
> pane. It displays the name of the rc file, but when I click the
> "+" beside it to open the resources, nothing happens, and the
> "+" disappears. There is no error message.
>
> Restarting Visual Studio and rebuilding my project didn't help.
> I can open all other projects' resource files without problems.
> I reverted the .rc file, .vcproj file, and resource.h back to
> the previous (known working) versions, without success.
>
> Google'ing for similar symptoms didn't help either ... so, did
> anyone have that problem before, and does anyone know what I can
> do to bring resource view back to life?
>
> Thanks for any help
> W. Roesler

0
tserface (3860)
1/25/2006 4:58:53 PM
"Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com> wrote in

> It could be that the actually .RC file got hit.  I would just open it
> in Notepad and see what is in it.  If part of it got lost (I.E., was
> writing when system crashed and some or all of the information missing
> from the file) I would just restore it from a previous version and
> that should fix the problem.

I did that already (restored the previous version of the .rc file
from CVS), without success. Also, the CVS diff (before restoring
the previous version) showed that the .rc file had not been
damaged, the only change was that I had added a single icon
resource.

Anyway, I shut down the machine for the night, and after rebooting
the next morning, the problem was gone. Very strange indeed.

Thanks for your help
W. Roesler
0
wr1 (20)
1/26/2006 8:33:06 AM
That is strange.  Did you do a complete recompile. Perhaps the .res file was
goofed up somehow.  Anyway... glad you got it to work.

Tom

> "Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com> wrote in
>
>> It could be that the actually .RC file got hit.  I would just open it
>> in Notepad and see what is in it.  If part of it got lost (I.E., was
>> writing when system crashed and some or all of the information missing
>> from the file) I would just restore it from a previous version and
>> that should fix the problem.
>
> I did that already (restored the previous version of the .rc file
> from CVS), without success. Also, the CVS diff (before restoring
> the previous version) showed that the .rc file had not been
> damaged, the only change was that I had added a single icon
> resource.
>
> Anyway, I shut down the machine for the night, and after rebooting
> the next morning, the problem was gone. Very strange indeed.
>
> Thanks for your help
> W. Roesler

0
tserface (3860)
1/26/2006 3:04:47 PM

> That is strange.  Did you do a complete recompile.

Yes, I deleted all compiler temp files manually, plus told VC to
rebuild everything.

> Anyway... glad you got it to work.

Indeed.

Thanks
W. Roesler
0
wr1 (20)

transfering files
How do i transfere information from a charge account to a billiable account? ...

Getting list of files in a directory
Hi everyone, I'm trying to write a routine that will enable me to find all files matching a wildcard in a specified directory- in the example below, it should return all files ending with .bmp in the C:\Logos\ directory - however, the fd.cFileName is blank - whats wrong? Thanks for your help Paul ------------ WIN32_FIND_DATA fd; HANDLE hDir; char * filePath = "C:\\Logos\\"; char * bitmapWildcard = "*.bmp"; strcpy( filePath, bitmapWildcard); \\ Look for C:\Logos\*.bmp hDir = FindFirstFile(bitmapWildcard, &fd); do { char * fileNam...

import email
The import option for addresses is greyed out in Outlook 2000. Attempting to import it from the main Outlook window to the contacts folder creates the error message: A file error has occurred in comma separated values/Exel (Windows) translator. >>> variations of the theme on any program from which I try to import. OBDC should be in, since necessary for other programs. No other programs running when the error occurs. Is there any knowledge of a corrupted or missing DLL or other required file which could cause this? Thank you. Do you have the translators installed? Run Add/...

Macro for Viewing mails one after the other in the Reading Pane
Hi, I am new to Outlook Programming, would like to know if it is possible to create a Macro which enables user to view mails one by one in the reading pane automatically (without him explicitly needed to navigate from one mail to other by clicking). Example: Suppose a user has 5 mails in his inbox. To view all five mails one by one generally user is required to click on each of them one by one. Same thing I want to do with a Macro. The Macro is supposed to automatically move the focus from one mail to other, thereby allowing user to view all 5 mails one by one in the reading...

Error #800401d0 When Opening Other Programs While ESM is Open
Hi - When I have Exchange Systme Manager open on my workstation and I try to open other programs like Word, Outlook, other non-Microsoft programs, I get the following error: OpenClipboard Failed ID no: 800401d0 Exchange System Manager Does anyone know what is causing this and how to correct it. Michael ...

open relay #14
I am going through KB324958 and the test for open relay returns: 250 2.1.5 user@doamin.com This indicates my server is an open relay, but all settings on the default smtp virtual server and smallbusiness smtp connector indicate it is not an open relay. What gives? Robert What version of Exchange? Exchange 2003 is set NOT to relay out of box. Can you confirm the settings on your SMTP Virtual Server Relay Tab? Please post the results if you are unsure. -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange MVP 2007 Microsoft Certified Partner "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsof...

How do i set open form to current record?
I have a command button on the main form and when clicked a secondary form opens however any data keyed in resets the main form back to record one. How do i set the second form entries to apply to the current record? I'm going to guess that you are requerying the mainform, so that it updates from the data in the second form. Instead of Requery try Refresh when you go back to the main form. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "acss" <joekru98@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:BACE1739-8...

Overriding default language in single MUI resource file
we have an application where we have all of the resources for all of the languages in a single resource file. we use this resource file via the standard MFC AfxSetResourceHandle. my understanding is that if we have English and German in this one resource file than on an English system the English strings will be displayed. on a German system the German strings will be displayed. my question is, is it possible to override this functionality, say with an INI file, so that on a German system the English resources are displayed. this would not be dynamic in nature in that a user can cha...

Get an error when opening Public Folders
When trying to open public folders in Exchange System manager. the token supplied to the function is invalid. id no. 80090308. Do I need a MAPI client on the server like Outlook? I always thought it was a big no no to put Outlook on the same box as Exchange is installed. Thanks On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:35:02 -0800, "John McCoy" <JohnMcCoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When trying to open public folders in Exchange System manager. the token >supplied to the function is invalid. id no. 80090308. http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324345 > >Do I need a MAPI cl...

Using Visual C++ 6.0 MFC Application
01/19/2004 Using a single document or a dialog application, I am able to use my own variables that are declared in the same source file, however, if I try to declare a global variable in a header file or a source file included before the code I am using, I get the error "Undeclared Identifier". Example in Old C: "First.h" int i; "Main.cpp" #include "First.h" main() { i=5; printf("%d",i); } When I declare a variable in a header file, in Class View - Globals, my variable does show up, b...

publisher cannot open file #2
publisher 2002 cannot open a file opened by 2000 why is that? is publisher 2002 backward compatiable? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from josh <printex@cwnet.com>... > publisher 2002 cannot open a file opened by 2000 Yes it can. Are you running Norton AntiVirus? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm ...

Searching multiple PST Files
One of the user at my Client has multiple PST Files and they are almost 1.5 GB's each. Is there any good tool to make his search within his PST faster. Can we add the content of PST's to the Index Server on the W2K pro or XP? Any other ideas. Thanks IK I found 'code' (http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~dagwood/web.htm#5) that allows to strip attachments, which will definitely shrink the PST files (and therby make them faster searchable), but I'm guessing that the attachments are very valuable, and need to stay with the sender... Since the code I mentioned Msgboxes each f...

how do i create a web excel file for all users to view and edit
I would like to create a web excel spreadsheet that all users can edit and the spreedsheet will keep their changes when you hit refresh. ...

-ERR mailbox could not be opened
Windows 7 Ultimate x64; Windows Live Mail Client; all updates applied. Have 1 'Hotmail' & 2 'Live' accounts, all set up in WLM using pop3.live.com / smtp.live.com settings. Been working fine up until yesterday. One of the 'Live' accounts will not sync anymore. Error message as follows (account name masked out): --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Unable to send or receive messages for the Live (*************) account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive message...

Cannot open pesronal folder (.pst)
I gave a password to my .pst folder. Now I forgot the password and not able to access the folder. can U please tell what is the solution for this ? http://www.securiteam.com/tools/6G00B1F0AS.html may help David "krishna mohan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03b601c3de54$aee9e890$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I gave a password to my .pst folder. Now I forgot the > password and not able to access the folder. can U please > tell what is the solution for this ? ...

How do I save the same document in 2 different files
I save my budget document during each use. In Excel 2003 I was able to save it once a week to a 2nd 'safety' file as well. Now with 2007 there is no 'save as' (at least not that I can find) so am not able to save a 2nd copy for safety. It's a very different program and I realize I have to get use to the changes. Can anyone help? hi click the office button. the save as command is on the drop down. also check this site out. it might help in the future. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA101491511033.aspx also ron has a good one. http://www.rondebruin.nl...

Outlook hangs and will not Open
Hi, I have not been able to open my Outlook. It will begin to open in Personal Folders, then it just hangs and will not open. When I do a ctl/alt/del it says it is not responding. I have tried repairing,uninstalling and reinstalling several times and it keeps doing the same thing. Can anyone help? GS With Outlook closed, search your computer for the HIDDEN file outcmd.dat Rename it outcmd.old and try to open Outlook. Any better? "Gail Smart" <gsmart1@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:06b701c356f3$2ef97d50$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > I have not been able to o...

HP Image Editor files default to C:\ directory
Re: HP 3970 Scanner Hello Everyone: Maybe someone here has or has used this scanner and knows the answer. I will make my question as straightforward as possible. Once I have scanned an image and 'saved it,' it defaults to the C:\ directory unless I choose another location. If it is saved in another directory, it will not show up on the image editor so I unable to print or edit the image. Is there a way to change the settings so that an image is automatically saved to a default location other than C:\ or do I have to move an image to the C:\ location each time I ...

How do you view Assembly Items?
I have got to be missing the obvious here, but how do you view a list of Assembly Items? From what I read, it should be an option on the Items screen, but I sure don't see it. Thanks in advance. Sort the item list by Item Type. Any thing marked with an "A" is an assembly. Open the properties for the assembly item and you will be able to view or edit it's contents... There is also an Assembly List report available in the Reports Library on Customer Source that may help. Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com -----------------...

Keeping multiple forms open
In Access 2000 I was able to keep several forms open and switch between them using the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, but Access 2007 will only allow me to keep one form open. Is there a solution to this? Thanks for any help. Dudley Tabs for each open item are found to the right of the navigation pane under the ribbon. "Dudley" wrote: > In Access 2000 I was able to keep several forms open and switch between them > using the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, but Access 2007 will only > allow me to keep one form open. Is there a solution to this?...

SUM in random files in the folder
I have files in the folder. how I consolidate in new sheet all the files, to sum for region, products? OBS: I not know the amount of files in this one folder, so I know that the these nominated archives for region, a994.xls region A, b423.xls b323.xls region B .... How to create a look with filename random ? and I not know the quantity file for region. But, all the worksheets have format the same. Necessary they to charts with it, then I want create the table consolidate thanks Marina ...

opening word 2007 document
I am having trouble opening word 2007 documents. it is taking a long time to open much longer than before. Any advice please? See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProblemsStartingWord.htm or http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541 -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><...

Maximize on open
Hello, How do you ensure that when you open an Excel file it will open maximized and not minimized? Thanks "Marty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:083301c3c325$be678f10$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, > > How do you ensure that when you open an Excel file it will > open maximized and not minimized? > > Thanks Close Excel Maximised and this is how it will open next time. Closing it maximized doesn't work... >-----Original Message----- >"Marty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message >...

doesn't open correctly/ doesn't play
Dear all, I am trying to open/play downloaded tv episodes (extension .avi) with windows media player. However, sometimes the media player opens, but does not play the episode, and sometimes it doesn't load at all. I have tried checking for updates, but it says there are no important updates. I have tried downloading version 11 (I am not sure which one I have, and don't know where to find this), but it says I already have a more recent version on my computer. I can't seem to find windows media player in my 'programs' section in windows to uninstall and then...

Making a UserForm show above a any opened doc
Hi, I am using a userform to load document into Word, but when the document is opened, the userform window will be covered by the opened file. This happens whether the ShowModal property is set to True or False. I checked online and found this posted by Doug: Making a UserForm show above a newly created Word 2000+ http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms/KeepUserFmAboveDoc.htm but the link is removed. :( I also tried to minimize the newly opened file with the following code: wrdDoc.Windows(1).WindowState = wdWindowStateMinimize (The wrdDoc is the file object and I v...