User account mechanism in an application

Hello NG,
I want to make an application which has an user account mechanism. Every
user should also have specific permissions. The administrator can create new
users and give them permissions for several functions in the Application.
For now I have a simple inifile which is stored encrypted ( a simple user
"database") (user.dat). This inifile contains information about what users
exists and what permissions they have.
I know that is not the best way and thats why I am posting - the key for
this file is always the same and hard coded in the application. This is a
very bad way but where should I store the key when I am generating one?
Storing such key on disk I think is a bad way. I could take the admin
password but then everytimes the admin has to start up my application so
that the application knows the key to decrypt the inifile. How can I make
this hack safe?

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Joachim

0
mfgjojo (1)
9/19/2003 3:13:33 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

New to User Forms

Users Shared Folders

Drag n' Drop emails to a Java application
Hi, We are developing a Java application where we want to import information received in e-mails. The email client are Outlook 2003 (at least for now). The best way would be to be able to drag the e-mail to the Java app and then access/parse the e-mail in the Java app. I have searched the web but can not find anything useful. Do I have to use COM and/or OLE for doing such operations? Please help me!! Best Regards Joacim ...

Users not showing up All Users

user breakpoint

Replying with an alternate e-mail that uses the same gmail account
I work for several businesses and have multiple e-mail addresses that all forward to my personal gmail account. I have dealt with incoming mail forwarding to the proper folder depending on the e-mail address the sender uses, but when I reply I either have to type the right address into the "From" box (pain) or it shows up as coming from my gmail account even though they sent it to one of my aliases. Can I set up a rule that all replies to e-mails sent to an alias use the same alias for the response? Ideally I'd like to be able to have an e-mail conversation app...

Need User Name and Password

normal.dot is in use by other application
Office 2003sp3 When two or more separate instances are opened, on closing a file in the second instance, the following errors appear (back translated from Dutch): * There are changes in the template Normal.dot. Do you want to save these changes? * This file is in use by another application or user (location of normal.dot) Word is configured _not_ to bug the user with questions about normal.dot (yes, I know that this is a security risk). That setting works when there is only one Word instance active. I have no control over the launching of Word applications because they are ...

Random Users Calendars not viewable

Manager grayed out on user setup

Lotus user to Outlook user Attachments missing
Hi everyone, I have a strange problem that hopefully someone can help with or maybe point me in the right direction. Infrastructure info: All our clients are running Office 2007 SP2 and we have Exchange 2007 SP1 as our backend. We have a client that has Lotus Notes and sends us many emails per day and almost always they have attachments but usually PDF's, JPG's and DOC's. We have just discovered that they occasionally send us scanned docs in MDI format. The problem is that it appears as though when the client running Lotus attached an MDI file and sends the ema...

Application conflict w/Windows Installer
Hello All, We recently had a machine that had Windows reinstalled (XP Pro, SP3). It was done from an SP3 CD. All applications then reinstalled fine except one (Sage Timberline Office). The error said that Windows Installer was configured incorrectly. It would appear that this application is incompatible with the version of installer in SP3. I'm looking for a way to roll the version of Windows Installer back to 3.01. I don't see SP3 in the Add/Remove Programs dialogue box (Show Updates is checked). I imagine I can get it to work by doing another Windows reinstall f...

Hotmail Account in Outlook 2003
Hi all, I've got 2 email accounts, colin@work.com and colin@hotmail.com. I've setup Outlook 2003 to send and receive from both these accounts and all works fine but with 1 'glitch' that I can't seem to resolve. As those of you who use Hotmail through Outlook know, Outlook creates a second 'Inbox', 'Outbox', 'Sent Items' etc in addition to the standard POP3 inbox etc. My problem is that if I send from my 'colin@work.com' mail account, the standard 'Sent Items' shows the sent mail. If I send from my Hotmail account, this sent ma...

users sending messages to themselves
Hello all, I'm running a Exchange 2000 server w SP3 on W2K box w SP4. I have some users who have this old habit of sending a copy of out going message to themselves when they compose a new message by cc or bcc or even To field. I ask them not to do but they are still doing it. Is there a way (may be a script or rule or anything in Exchange or third party software) to stop this. I was told by someone that there is nothing of that nature but I'm still not convinced. There's gotta be a way. Thanks Raj Bambrah Why not let them do whatever they damn well please? Raj Bambrah wro...

IMF and remote users.
I need a bit of hand holding on this. We are about to start hosting our own email. There are branch offices that will pick up their email with POP3 from our server running SBS 2003. I want to filter for spam, but also want all the users to have the ability to review emails caught by the filter. If I use the IMF filter, am I correct in assuming that the remote office users will never see those emails in that they will have been moved out of their inbox to the spam folder? Is there a built-in method of tagging, not moving emails identified as spam on a RBL? Thank you. - Are you going to use ...

Preventing a user from seing other users opportunities
Hi, I have a case in which 2 CRM users (A) & (B) shouldn't see each other's opportunities and this is indeed the case. However, when a user (A) creates an opportunity for which the account is owned by user (B), user (B) is then able to see this user (A) opportunity. I understand that this might be logical business wise, however, is there any way to prevent user (B) from seing these opportunities of user (A) even though he is the owner of the opportunity account ?? Thanks in advance I don't believe this is possible but I could be wrong. Darren Liu, Microsoft CRM MVP...

Limit user access on customer/vendor?
is it possible to control user access on certain customer/vendors? something like account level security, but on customer/vendor. Hi HFLo, No you cannot have Customer/Vendor Control Access as account security, since no module in GP has this feature, this is one of the drawbacks of GP no ROW LEVEL SECURITY at all, we are using the third party product for this security setup, it also works for Inventory and items just like account security. In short GP dosent have this feature. AXAPTA has this feature to restrict access to customers, vendors, inventory items at site level etc....... w...

Sending a copy of each email that a user sends
We have a security issue from HR requiring them to review all email sent from a user Is there a way to cc: an HR account with all email sent without the user being aware of the cc:? Have a look at this software www.exclaimer2000.com On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:41:08 -0800, Rod <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have a security issue from HR requiring them to review all email sent from a user. >Is there a way to cc: an HR account with all email sent without the user being aware of the cc:? This is very easy with Exchange 5.5. What version do you have? Rafael "...

Default email account #3
How can I set my default email account to be my external POP3 account rather than my microsoft exchange? I go through email accounts and select the pop3 account then chose set as default and it keeps those settings until I reboot. Once I reboot the computer Microsoft exchange account becomes the default email account once again. Thanks for anyones help! Kim If the Exchange server is running on Microsoft Small Business Server 2003, users with non-Exchange accounts in the same profile as the Exchange account may see the default mail account always revert to the Exchange account, regard...

security- users
hi all can anyone tell me this.. i want when someone opens the data base to asked for a user name and password. if the user name is for example "admin" (thats me) to have full access, can create,delete tables,create report etc. if the user name is "user1" to be able only for read, write ,add record ?? i prefered to do this by using the User and Group Permissions but any other suggestions are welcome.. thanks On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 22:54:01 -0800, Osyris <Osyris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Workgroup Security is an advanced topic. Do not attempt to use it un...