Unable to Terminate Process #2

I want my program to be such, that the user is not able to stop it from the
Task Manager. That is from
Task Manager/Processes.

Like in the case of  'services.exe '
it is a System runned process and the user cannot end this process..... on
trying so....it shows the message....

"This is a critical system process. Task Manager cannot end this process"
with the MessageBox having the caption
"Unable to Terminate Process"

I want my process to be like that.....How can I do that?

Else....is there any way by which I can make my process invisible from the
TaskManager/Processes???

0
efextra1 (33)
8/26/2006 1:33:39 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

> Else....is there any way by which I can make my process invisible from the
> TaskManager/Processes???

Unless you hook into the process and then trap the process enumeration apis
EnumProcesses/GetModuleFileName apis.

--
Vipin Aravind
http://www.explorewindows.com/Blogs

0
vipin (697)
8/26/2006 8:31:51 PM
"Sandipan Aich" <efextra@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
>I want my program to be such, that the user is not able to stop it from the
>Task Manager. That is from
> Task Manager/Processes.

As Vipin said, you could hook the process enumeration API's system-wide.
Not recommended, and that is definitely the behavior of a rootkit.

Instead, you could create a watchdog .exe that does a WaitForSingleObject()
on the process handle of your main executable.  When that is triggered, you
know your executable has been terminated.  Then the watchdog .exe restarts
your main executable.  This is what many annoyware programs do.  Still, this
is preferable to becoming a rootkit.

-- David
http://www.dcsoft.com

0
dc2983 (3206)
8/26/2006 9:13:31 PM
Rootkits are a security violation and should rightly cause your program to be forcibly
ejected from whatever system it is on.  This should be followed by a lawsuit against you
for malicious attack on a computer system, and in a reasonable world would result in a
massive fine and jail time.  So forget that path.

There is no way to stop the task manager from killing a process running as the logged-in
user.  In fact, any process that could even manage this kind of behavior would be in
violation of so many security mechanisms that it should only be thought of as a virus.

System services are owned by the service control manager, not the logged-on user, and
there are access rights that control what can and cannot be done to them.  Any process
running as the logged-in user cannot be protected against the logged-in user.

Note that "system-critical processes" cannot even be killed by someone with admin
privileges, but any other process, including system services, no matter what its access
rights, can always be killed by someone with admin privileges.
					joe

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 21:13:31 GMT, "David Ching" <dc@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:

>"Sandipan Aich" <efextra@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
>>I want my program to be such, that the user is not able to stop it from the
>>Task Manager. That is from
>> Task Manager/Processes.
>>

>As Vipin said, you could hook the process enumeration API's system-wide.
>Not recommended, and that is definitely the behavior of a rootkit.
>
>Instead, you could create a watchdog .exe that does a WaitForSingleObject()
>on the process handle of your main executable.  When that is triggered, you
>know your executable has been terminated.  Then the watchdog .exe restarts
>your main executable.  This is what many annoyware programs do.  Still, this
>is preferable to becoming a rootkit.
>
>-- David
>http://www.dcsoft.com

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
8/29/2006 3:09:55 PM
Hi Sandipan,

I'd like to follow up on this post. I understand that you might be quite
busy or not available to work on this issue at this time. If you have any
additional information or need further assistance, feel free to let me know
at your earliest convenience.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Gary Chang
Microsoft Online Community Support
ications.

v-garych (605)

Forefront security Service pack 2 for exchange
Hi, Microsoft announced for 3 of its scanning engine retiring on 1st Dec, 2009 and to implement SP2 before 1st Dec, 2009 for better resuls. Anyone completed this deployment. What are all the precuations needs to be taken while upgrading forefront sp2 on exchange 2007 SP1. How to rollback if the forefront SP2 installtion fails or cause some of the issues. Regards, Kedar Hi, Yesterday updated to Forefront SP2. On Edge servers all works fine. On Mailbox role CCR cluster - can't download updates, in application log messages "license expired" , but ...

Can't Backup. On close, unknown process interferes.
I have Outlook 2003 set to Backup every three days or whatever but when I close it says that there is some process that won't allow the Backup to occur, so then I hit Cancel so it can finish shutting down, so I can't Backup. What is the process that could be responsible? Is there a way to fix it or a workaround? I do have Active Sync 3.7 with an IPAQ 1945, and that use to happen when I had Outlook XP and it actively connected, but with Outlook 2003 and Active Sync not connected, it still occurs every time. Any ideas? Also, Outlook 2003 seems to take a heck of a lot longer ...

Sort by Last Name #2
Sorry if this posted twice. I have waited about 1/2 hour and my original post is not showing up. I am sure I phrased this better the first time but here goes. I am using Crystal Reports to extract data from our practice management system which stores the patient's name as last_name, first_name, i.e. Doe, John F. i then run a formula in Crystal Reports to switch the name around to John F. Doe. I then export the file to Excel (simple name address c/s/z file) they use for mail merge of letters and other fun stuff through out the year. Once the data is in Excel, they want to be able to ...

Unable to open calendar

Mail Box Size #2
Hi All, I have a user with a 6 gig + mailbox. We are using Exchange 2003 (enterprise) and Outlook 2003. He is now experiancing problems with the program running like a slug. It doesn't appear to be locking up, just taking for ever to do everything. He claims it was fine until front page crashed, which took the computer down (needing a re-boot) and outlook hasnt' worked right since. So what I have done, is delete the profile and recreate, appear to work for me, but now is locked up again. The auto archive does not appear to removing items from the mailbox. Does anyone hav...

Out of memory #2
I developed a workbook that has some macros for sorting and condensing several sheets to a single sheet in a workbook. When I run it everything works fine, but other get an out of memory error. I'm assuming that this might not be just an Excel issue. The workbook at this point is only 365kb and will only become larger with time. I've been running it from a local drive, other run it from the network. I have no idea where to start with this issue and any input would be appreciated. Thank you. I think that the size of the workbook has nothing to do with the problem. The error...

Trial Version #2
I downloaded a trial version of Publisher 2007 yesterday. The site says it's a 60 day trial...now after less than 24 hours it has told me my trial has expired. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and then I tried redownloading the program to start over. Any help on how I can get this trial copy to work like it should? MBK wrote: > I downloaded a trial version of Publisher 2007 yesterday. The site says it's > a 60 day trial...now after less than 24 hours it has told me my trial has > expired. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and then I tried >...

unable to scroll the page

Unable to start POP3, NNTP, IMAP4...

Plotting data in Excel #2
Is it possible to generate a cell range mathmatically using formulas and "Concatenate" in one reference cell, and then use the contents of the cell to define the data range for an X-Y plot? In other words, instead of manually selecting the data range to be plotted using a pick box, I want the reference the contents of a cell that has computed the data range. Thanks -- James ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message p...

Personal Folders #2
Hi, I really need some help........... I made a personal folder and always put my emails in seperate sub-folders after I read them. We have to keep our inbox fairly small or the server statrts yelling at us. PROBLEM! My personal folder is now just over 2gig in size. Outlook 2000 won't let me access the file. It says there is an error and to use the inbox scan to fix it. I use SCANPST.EXE, but even it comes up with a error. Is there a 3rd party program that will let me access this file? Maybe I can go in and delete some things to get it below the 2gig limit. Please email m...

importing .pst file #2
I recently tried to import "outlook.pst" from one computer running Office 2003 to another running same. I imported "archive.pst" w/ no problem. When I attempt to import "outlook.pst", I get an error message that says one or more parameters are invalid. Can anyone help? Thanx http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx Try here I got some good answers.. Peace Michael H. "Phil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11cee01c3f55d$47da0520$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I recently tried to import "outlook.p...

Unable to conect

2 different recipient update policies
Hello, If i have 2 different RUS policies. Which will be a users default reply address? The lowest prioirty because it is applied last, or the highest priority because it is more important? Thanks The highest priority Recipient Policy that does not exclude the recipient is applied. Good reference: How the Recipient Update Service applies recipient policies http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328738/ -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- <aaronw@firstmac.com.au> wrote in message ...

Counter #2
I need to have a counter that will count the number of x's in a column how can this be done? Thanks for the help =COUNTIF(A:A,"X") Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Polina" wrote: > I need to have a counter that will count the number of x's in a column how > can this be done? > > Thanks for the help Thanks very much for all the help "Peo Sjoblom" wrote: > =COUNTIF(A:A,"X") > > > Regards, > > Peo Sjoblom > > "Polina" wrote: > > > I need to have a counter that will count the number of x&#...

MSXML6 C++ unable to locate node

Tab Name #2
How can I display the tab name on a sheet? I'm looking to have a template that pulls the name of the tab that I assign and displays it in the sheet. Something similar to "&TAB" used in the Header and Footer option. Thanks See Bob Phillips' site for formulas. http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0002.html Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:58:02 -0700, Cantru <Cantru@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I display the tab name on a sheet? I'm looking to have a template >that pulls the name of the tab that I assign and di...

Skinning dialogs? #2
I have 2 questions about CDialog skinning... 1: I'm handling the OnNcPaint and OnNcCalcSize, but always when it is the first time the window is drawn, when I click on the caption, it draws a border around the caption, and then it doesnt happen anymore... No idea why... 2: How can I draw the Min/Max/X buttons also? Hope you can help... Joe B. ...

'OWA was unable to get to your inbox'

Imputed Income #2
My company has started documenting Imputed Income for the portion of the premium for our company paid life insurance that paid for the amount over $50,000 as required by the IRS. How do I record that in my paycheck transaction in Money 2004? -- Semper Fi Kevin Campbell See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q35 for how I do it. "Kevin Campbell" <kcampbel@nospam.midmaine.com> wrote in message news:ecdD8HhzDHA.2148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > My company has started documenting Imputed Income for the portion of the > premium for our company paid life insurance that paid fo...