Unable to debug a .dll file

Hello,

I have 3 projects in an MFC application, in which 2 are dlls which the
active project accesses. My application is giving an error on one of
the devices (projector), whereas the same application works fine on
another device of the same family of projectors. This application is
for updating the firmware of the projector.

When i was debugging the active project, i saw that the problem lies in
the way the projector is responding to one of the calls made from one
of the dlls. Now to check what exactly is the problem in the function
present in the dll, i tried applyign break points in the dll.

But it does not accept the breakpoints within the dll and i am unable
to verify the function.

Another method i tried was to define a couple of more return values, so
that i can watch the value that the function in the dll, returns. But
again, it does not accept the changes and hence i am still not able to
debug the dll.

I also tried changing a couple of project settings to try and make it
work. I will not go in detail with that as it anyhow did not work.

What settings do i need to do to debug the dll?

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

> I have 3 projects in an MFC application, in which 2 are dlls which the
> active project accesses. My application is giving an error on one of
> the devices (projector), whereas the same application works fine on
> another device of the same family of projectors. This application is
> for updating the firmware of the projector.
>
> When i was debugging the active project, i saw that the problem lies in
> the way the projector is responding to one of the calls made from one
> of the dlls. Now to check what exactly is the problem in the function
> present in the dll, i tried applyign break points in the dll.
>
> But it does not accept the breakpoints within the dll and i am unable
> to verify the function.

That would happen if the DLL is not loaded by the executable when you
are debugging. You can try by specifying this DLL in Addition DLLs
under Debug tab in VC6.

> Another method i tried was to define a couple of more return values, so
> that i can watch the value that the function in the dll, returns. But
> again, it does not accept the changes and hence i am still not able to
> debug the dll.

I am not sure what this means. Are you saying the changes in code are
not reflected while debugging?

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6841)
10/9/2006 1:29:42 PM
Ajay Kalra wrote:
> > I have 3 projects in an MFC application, in which 2 are dlls which the
> > active project accesses. My application is giving an error on one of
> > the devices (projector), whereas the same application works fine on
> > another device of the same family of projectors. This application is
> > for updating the firmware of the projector.
> >
> > When i was debugging the active project, i saw that the problem lies in
> > the way the projector is responding to one of the calls made from one
> > of the dlls. Now to check what exactly is the problem in the function
> > present in the dll, i tried applyign break points in the dll.
> >
> > But it does not accept the breakpoints within the dll and i am unable
> > to verify the function.
>
> That would happen if the DLL is not loaded by the executable when you
> are debugging. You can try by specifying this DLL in Addition DLLs
> under Debug tab in VC6.

*Chetana*
Thanks a lot for the solution. I was able to debug the DLLs too. I was
able to find where the problem was.

*Chetana*

> > Another method i tried was to define a couple of more return values, so
> > that i can watch the value that the function in the dll, returns. But
> > again, it does not accept the changes and hence i am still not able to
> > debug the dll.
>
> I am not sure what this means. Are you saying the changes in code are
> not reflected while debugging?

*Chetana*
Yes, You are right, i had a problem as the code changes were not
reflected while debugging.

*Chetana*

> ---
> Ajay

Thanks,
Regards,
Chetana

Different Icon for Debug and Release
I want different icons for Debug and Release exe. I want to compile my project for one icon for debug and other for relase. Generally IDR_MAINFRAME icon will be displayed if i generate the exe. how if I want diffrent icons for 2 modes ? Is it possible to switch to diff icon at compile time so tat it will include different icons for debug and release ? how to achieve this ?? Thanks in Advance -Akshay In your rc file you coudl add this line.. But note that everytime you edit the resource file, these lines may be deleted by VS. #ifdef _DEBUG IDR_MAINFRAME ICON &q...

Failed to register vasei.dll
Hai all, While installing Visual Studio 6.0, i am getting an error " Failed to register vasei.dll "... Please tell me the solution to over come this problem..... Looking froward for ur reply... Thanx in advance... Regards, Charles Be sure you are a local administrator before trying to install VS 6 Brian ...

Exchange restore and recent file
Hello, I make an exchange Restoration from my exchange 2000 (SP3) server and i use "setup.exe /disasterrecovery" from the exchange CD-ROM.. The trouble is that it ask me for some file : " the target file is more recent that the source file, would you keep your file ? yes - no- no for all.. I don't know what to do ? because i will update to the exchnage SP3 after...and install the POST SP3 Rollup too ... Is there an exchange tool or a command that control and says if exchange works fine or not ??? for me to control after my restore.. Thanks for helping me... You can safe...

Can't sync DRM files on MP3 player
Is use WMP 11 since a while to sync downloaded music files from napster to my MP3 player (so it can play DRM files). But for some reason i now get a sync problem in WMP "C00D1236 - cannot sync the file? This problem only occurs with DRM files although i also can play those files with WMP 11 ?! ...

Unable to open calendar

using embedded .xsd vs file based .xsd
I am thinking of embedding my schemas as embedded resources instead of reading it using URI at run-time. I came across some snags while trying to do just that such as, previously unknown to me, XmlValidatingReader.Schemas.Add was using XmlValidatingReader.Resolver to resolve my schemas using the URI method. Resolver property was never set, so the reader simply ignored any external references even though one of the schema explicitly imports the other one. I verified this by removing the referred schema from the schema collection, and the code chugged along fine. But when I changed the code to ...

will not write file to server
when i try to do save as to my nevell server i get them message file is read only. there is a hot fix for this but i don't know how to get it can someone help thanks pete The MSKB article that discusses this problem: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];824424 suggests ways to contact MS. I don't know of any other ways. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

unable to scroll the page

Saving a worksheet as a jpg file?
I know how to save a chart as a jpg file, but I don't know how to save a worksheet as a jpg file. Can anyone tell me how? (The reason I want to do this is to send a worksheet to a Mac user who cannot [and who has no interest in learning how to] open Excel files, but who can open jpg files.) Many thanks. -- ---------- CWLee Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and promote for performance, not preferences. Use the Excel Camera Tool to take a picture of a pre-selected range on a worksheet. Copy the pictu...

Can not get emails to flow down to a .pst file
I have tried removing the profiles and re-initiating them. For whatever reason, it will not drop down into her personal folder, or .pst file. It has been ongoing for 1 week now. I also rebooted the PC. I have tried every thing I could think of. Please help. On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:35:01 -0700, "Glenn" <GRyan@prideindustries.com> wrote: >I have tried removing the profiles and re-initiating >them. For whatever reason, it will not drop down into her >personal folder, or .pst file. It has been ongoing for 1 >week now. I also rebooted the PC. I have trie...

file://./backofficestorage...
I need to enable access to file://./backofficestorage on my Exchange 2003 server. I remember a seeing an article on how to do that a while ago but I can't find it now. Thanks! PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION!! Also ensure that do file-level virus scanners are scanning M: drive Drive M Mapping to IFS Is Not Present by Default in Exchange Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821836/en-us HTH -- James Whelan Rapid Response Engineer - Messaging Premier Field Engineering Microsoft United Kingdom Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup pu...

VWD 2010 Express calls Win32 DLL
I sent this message to csharp newsgroup but I think I should put it here. I am looking into using Visual WebDeveloper 2010 Express edition to develope a simple web application. - a button on web page - click on it - calls a Win32 DLL function by passing a string type parameter as output parameter - this output parameter will be a string, in format of yyyymmdd, eg. 20101231 - print out this output parameter on a label Any sample source code (C#) to help me get started? ...

Unable to start POP3, NNTP, IMAP4...

importing .pst file #2
I recently tried to import "outlook.pst" from one computer running Office 2003 to another running same. I imported "archive.pst" w/ no problem. When I attempt to import "outlook.pst", I get an error message that says one or more parameters are invalid. Can anyone help? Thanx http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx Try here I got some good answers.. Peace Michael H. "Phil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11cee01c3f55d$47da0520$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I recently tried to import "outlook.p...

Importing an Excel file into Money
I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could download directly into Money (or Quicken) there is a monthly charge to do this. I don't want to use Money or Quicken to pay my bills, simply to organize my finances better. I am able to download my account data into Excel. Is there anyway I can import from Excel into Money? I tried doing this using the import feature, but nothing happened when I selected the Excel file and clicked import (no error messages or anything). In microsoft.public.money, Cruzin wrote: >I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could >...

Unable to conect

Importing Tab files
Hello, Here's some odd behavior from Excel. I need to import a tab file with the following two requirements: req 1. Newlines within quotation marks are preserved as part of the record req 2. All fields are imported as text Now, if I do file->open and go through the import wizard, req 2 is met because I can select all fields and set them to text. However, it splits records at newlines within quotation marks no matter what I try. If, on the other hand, I drag and drop the tab file onto Excel, it preserves newlines, but there's no way (as far as I can tell) to force it to input ...

After compiled to MDE file, all AutoKeys won't work
Dear All,I have written an Access XP (2002) program that I used some function keys tocall the form, so I used AutoKeys at macro and made some function keys. WhenI run my program under Access, the function keys is working well. But afterI compiled to MDE file and run the mde file, all the function keys gone.Does anyone know Why? Any suggestion is appreciated. Thank youDaryl...

office files on DFS share
Hello everyone, how does an office (excel) file behave if it is opened, edited ans saved on two different locations and then replicated to the central location through DFS? Is there any algorithm to ersolve conflicts? I could not find any whitepaper on this until now. Thank you. -- The sun is shining. ...

MSXML6 C++ unable to locate node