Trapping for keystrokes...

Is there a way I can write a little program that will trap the keyboard and
save whatever is being typed to a file?  In other words, I need to write
something that will run in the background but will be able to know whatever
is typed on the keyboard and then save those keystrokes to a file on the
hard drive.

Thanks,
Fred

0
bogus1914 (5)
9/30/2003 3:41:26 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

A keyboard hook.
				joe

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:41:26 GMT, "sftwrdvlpr" <bogus@news.com> wrote:

>Is there a way I can write a little program that will trap the keyboard and
>save whatever is being typed to a file?  In other words, I need to write
>something that will run in the background but will be able to know whatever
>is typed on the keyboard and then save those keystrokes to a file on the
>hard drive.
>
>Thanks,
>Fred

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
9/30/2003 3:35:18 PM
Is there any chance of getting a snippet on how to do it?
Thanks,
Fred

> A keyboard hook.
> joe
>
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:41:26 GMT, "sftwrdvlpr" <bogus@news.com> wrote:
>
> >Is there a way I can write a little program that will trap the keyboard
and
> >save whatever is being typed to a file?  In other words, I need to write
> >something that will run in the background but will be able to know
whatever
> >is typed on the keyboard and then save those keystrokes to a file on the
> >hard drive.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Fred
> >

> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

bogus1914 (5)
10/1/2003 3:02:29 AM
Take a look at my essay on hooks on my MVP Tips site. I do a mousehook; a keyboard hook is
similar.
				joe

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 03:02:29 GMT, "sftwrdvlpr" <bogus@news.com> wrote:

>Is there any chance of getting a snippet on how to do it?
>Thanks,
>Fred

>> A keyboard hook.
>> joe
>>
>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:41:26 GMT, "sftwrdvlpr" <bogus@news.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Is there a way I can write a little program that will trap the keyboard
>and
>> >save whatever is being typed to a file?  In other words, I need to write
>> >something that will run in the background but will be able to know
>whatever
>> >is typed on the keyboard and then save those keystrokes to a file on the
>> >hard drive.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >Fred
>> >

>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)

trapping LVN_ENDSCROLL
Hi there, I'm trying to trap the LVN_ENDSCROLL notification in my parent, but don't seem to get it. Here's what I have. In my parent's header: void OnLvnEndScroll(NMHDR *pNMHDR, LRESULT *pResult); In the source: void CSKListCtrl::OnLvnEndScroll(NMHDR *pNMHDR, LRESULT *pResult) { Invalidate(); UpdateWindow(); *pResult = 0; } In the message map: ON_NOTIFY(LVN_ENDSCROLL, WM_QUICKLIST, OnLvnEndScroll) where WM_QUICKLIST is mapped to my child's ID. What am I doing wrong? Thank you. Well since I couldn't find a way of trapping LVN_ENDSCROLL, I just used the HSCROL...

VLookup VBA error trapping
Can anyone tell me how to modify this formula to trap errors? I tried wrapping it in IsError (code) Then...but it doesn't work. Public Sub RunMeNow() Dim i As Long Dim iLastRow As Long With Sheets("Sheet2") iLastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row For i = 3 To iLastRow 'iLastRow to 1 Step -1 .Cells(i, "B").Value = Application.VLookup( _ .Cells(i, "A").Value, Range("RegionGrouping"), 2, False) Next i End With End Sub Or any other way I can handle an error with this type of pr...

Trapping errors
How do write a piece of code that traps VBA error messages and ignores them? See my post on 22/07/07 about an Automation error message Thanks Tony Take a look at what Allen Browne has at http://www.allenbrowne.com/ser-23a.html -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Tony Williams" <tw@invalid.com> wrote in message news:uWKdkqVzHHA.5992@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > How do write a piece of code that traps VBA error messages and ignores > them? > See my post on 22/07/07 about an Automation error message > Thanks >...

Trapping for keystrokes...
Is there a way I can write a little program that will trap the keyboard and save whatever is being typed to a file? In other words, I need to write something that will run in the background but will be able to know whatever is typed on the keyboard and then save those keystrokes to a file on the hard drive. Thanks, Fred A keyboard hook. joe On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:41:26 GMT, "sftwrdvlpr" <bogus@news.com> wrote: >Is there a way I can write a little program that will trap the keyboard and >save whatever is being typed to a file? In other words, I need to write &g...

O2003
Windows XP Pro, Outlook 2003 - Not infrequently when I go to paste something in an email via Ctrl/V, something I press SENDS the message instead of pasting. I have looked everywhere, including Windows keyboard shortcut help and Outlook keyboard shortcut help, for any possible keystroke combination involving keys anywhere near Ctrl and V, but cannot find anything. Maybe I'm blind or maybe it's really not listed. I need to find it so I can change it to something else. Does anyone happen to know what keystroke combination involving keys anywhere near Ctrl and V would send an email in ...

Trapping a value to use in my form
I am quite new to this and need some help. I have a form with a record source of a query. In the query I have the criteria set to ask the user a question in a popup box which searches a table for that input which is then reported back to the form to view EmployeeNumberQuery is as follows: Field: Employee Table: Employee_Number Criteria: [Enter the Employee Number] <-this is the value I want to capture and display in the form This query also has other fields that are reported back to the form that match the entered value The Employee_Listing_Table is as follows: Form Hea...

windows resize event trap
I am trying to resize a form inside of excel base on windows resize event (not workbook resize)... I've already try Private Sub appevent_WindowResize(ByVal Wb As Excel.Workbook, ByVal Wn As Excel.Window) MsgBox "you have resized excel" End Sub and it works only with workbook resize... I'll appreciate any help on this... thanks LH ...

Keystrokes
In the old Outlook Express, I would use Ctrl-U to go to the next unread message, then I'd use the spacebar to scroll the message. Now, using the spacebar moves to the next message (not the next *unread* message, just the next message in the queue.) Is there a new keystroke to replace the spacebar that scrolls the message instead of moving to the next message? -- Ronin Right click on the upper tool bar and select Customize and Next Unread for a new button. "Ronin" <wanderer> wrote in message news:OXFHgDGwKHA.4636@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > In th...

Trapping Ligitimate Mail
Have IMF installed on Exch 2k3. I know I can adjust the sensitivity of the filter. It seems to be catching most spam, however, one person's mail always seems to be trapped. This person usually has to send zip files. Is is possible force exchange to accept mail from this person? Is the file attachment the issue? Thank you, Justin You could add them to the safe senders list within the IMF filter. "Justin" wrote: > Have IMF installed on Exch 2k3. I know I can adjust the > sensitivity of the filter. It seems to be catching most > spam, however, one person&#...

Trap Receiver
Dear All, I am developing a utility for receiving traps(Trap Receiver). I needed help as I dont understand where to start and how to do it. Please help. Dinesh What is a trap and what does it mean to receive one? Possibly the reason you don't know how to start is that you are trying to do something that is not defined or possible. joe On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:04:51 +0530, "Dinesh" <dinesh@netplexusindia.com> wrote: >Dear All, >I am developing a utility for receiving traps(Trap Receiver). I needed help >as I dont understand where to start and how to do it....

Script for IBM AS/400 session keystrokes
I have a script that opens a terminal session for an IBM AS/400 system and performs a series of keystrokes. The script works great, except if there is/are already session(s) opened by the user. The terminal sessions are lettered A, B, C, etc as multiple sessions are opened by a user. I guess I need to some how have the script determine what the session letter is for the one it just opened so that it uses that session instance instead of always using session A. (which is what my code does now) I'm not exactly sure how to do this. Here is the existing code: Sub Run...

trapping charts event
I'm writing a macro in which the user has to choose 2 value on a bar-graph. I can trap chart events as Jon Peltier say ( http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221, ), but following his way I trap *always* chart events. What I want is to trap chart event in a chart sheet only one time, and after that I want to leave the charts event control back to excel. Is it possible? Sorry for my newbie-ness :-( When you have the information you need, and don't need more events from the chart, deactivate the chart events. Set clsEventChart.EvtChart = Nothing - Jon ------...

Trapping Mouse Clicks
Two questions. 1. In a CListCtrl displayed in Report view mode, with a header labeling the columns, I need to trap a mouse right button down message. The control has a native function to trap the left mouse button on a click in the header, but neither control nor the dialog are able to see the right mouse button. It would also be nice to have MFC tell me which column was clicked, but I can do that with a little math on the mouse position and the CHeaderCtrl pointer. 2. The dialog in question is resizeable. I want to resize and relocate controls on the dialog when it is resized. I...

Trap event
This question is regarding the setup, Is it possible to catch the event of the close button in the installation complete windows form dialog control(finished) , I basically need to point to a website(for registeration) after the user clicks the close button. Also is there any alternative method possible (I dont want to use the Register user dialog control) I am using VB.NET Please do help me Don't know the answer but could show your Web Site at the First start of your Application instead. "Kelly G." <not@moreply.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:eE8JfWF1DHA.1740@...

Am I walking into a trap with how I want to model this?
I was hoping somebody could give me guidance as to if I am walking into a big trap with how I am planning to deploy MS CRM in our environment. Here is our situation: - We are a franchise concept, with two offerings, one for a store and one to be an "Area Developer" who works at selling and supervising stores in his Area. - Currently corporate collects all the leads for potential franchisees and distributes them to the Area Developers so they can make sales. - We are currently expanding internationally with Master Licensees (somebody will develop all of Japan for instance). ...

trapping an unrecognized command
If I enter a command that does not exist, here's what happens PS C:> xyzzy The term 'xyzzy' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again. At line:1 char:6 + xyzzy <<<< + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (xyzzy:String) [], CommandNotFoundException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException Is there a way to trap this to be able to execute some custom PowerShell c...

outgoing emails trap in queue
some mails sending to a domain from exchanger server 2000 is trapped in queue. The queue status is Active or Retry, while others are Ready. I have installed another server which has no this problem. It shows the network has no problem. Can anyone know how to set the queue status to Ready and let all emails send out. Thanks. Hi, Have you tried the force connection option on that queue, what happends? Regards -- Ben Hoffman MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin) http://www.ExchangeIS.com "word 2.0" <word20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94F...

OnError not trapping subsequent errors?
I am working with an org chart "tree" in table form to find the reporting heirachy. I start with the employee name, look it up on another table, and find that person's reporting manager. Then I look up that manager as an employee to find their manager, and so on. Eventually each tree hits an error when I get to the top of the tree, because it can't find a matching manager name. So, I use onError to escape the loop and present the data onscreen for review. This works fine the first time, but the code stops with an error on the second 'original' emplo...

Single keystroke issue
Since upgrading from IE7 to IE8, I have lost the capability in the right-click menu to hhit a single key to perform a function. For example, right click a "favorite" and hit "m" to rename, or hit "d" to delete. Instead, now have to mouse over the command to perform. Also, the shortcut keyletter used to be underlined in IE7, now nothing underlined. I'm sure it is something simple, but I haven't been able to find the answer yet. TIA FerretDaddy & the FBR-Gang Hi Ferret, They changed the way the Favorites Pane and Links toolb...

NewBie, how to trap: SQLAllocHandle Error
I have a MFC VC7.1++ program using VS2003, and also using the MSDE2000 for some reason my import is now failing and I cannot figure out why, before today this first statement use to successfully process. The return value of retcode now is 0, it use to be retcode = 1 I have looked up the documentation and see confusing information at least to me as to what an acceptable retcode should be, I even read of a macro SQL_SUCEEDED which will accept both 1 and 0, but when I use this then it just steps thorugh me code with no error, yet does NOT import the data into the table I wish. SQLH...

Error Trapping
Hi all I have a table with a required field set to yes. How do I capture the system generated responce when the user fails to enter data in that field? TIA johnb Use the Error event of the form to catch these engine-level errors. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "johnb" <johnb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B020CCA8-8ECB-4A32-8E78-ED53092E4E01@microsoft.com... > Hi all > I have a table with a required field se...

Trapping WM_SYSCOMMAND/SC_MINIMIZE
Hello I am having a MFC SDI App. This application at times peforms long tasks which can take about 1 minute or so And this is done in the Main Thread itself [I do not want to use a worker thread or UI thread to process this long task so as to not block the Main Thread. The problem For me, the Main Thread must perform this long task, but my Application must react to WM_SYSCOMMAND/SC_MINIMIZE Basically, the Application must allow the user input to Minimize the Application though the message queue is filled up wit several messages (several user posted messages). I want to prioritize this MINIM...

Keystroke to navigate between document and "Styles" window?
I've just been upgraded to Word 2007. In Word 2003 I used keystroke shortcuts as much as possible. Is there a "keystroke" way in Word 2007 to go from the document into the "Styles" window (once I've opened that) to apply styles to unformatted text, and then back to the document again? F6 and Shift+F6 work the same in 2007 as they did in 2003. -- Enjoy, Tony www.WordArticles.com "JudyJudyJudy" <JudyJudyJudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8257D941-CB37-4F9F-9319-0CE92D5C18F0@microsoft.com... > I've just...

Trapping control messages
Hello, I have a few controls in a dialog pane, among which a scrollbar. As expected, pressing the arrow keys moves the focus around the various buttons. I would like to have the UP and DOWN arrow keys always control the scrollbar, no matter which button has the focus. In my Dialog's Window Procedure, I've tried handling the WM_GETDLGCODE message by returning DLGC_WANTARROWS, thinking that if the user pressed an arrow key while a button has focus, the command would be sent to my dialog's WndProc instead of being handled internally by Windows. That didn't work. Is this how it...

Keystroke for "required space" between words
Is there a keystroke in Word for a "required space" between words to keep them from flowing onto next line of text? In WordPerfect, the keystroke is "CTL+Space Bar" and there should be a similar keystroke for Word for this same command. Ctl+Shift+space gives you a nonbreaking space. "Knockout59" wrote: > Is there a keystroke in Word for a "required space" between words to keep > them from flowing onto next line of text? In WordPerfect, the keystroke is > "CTL+Space Bar" and there should be a similar keystroke for ...