Task Manager "VM Size"

What exactly is the "VM Size" column in the task manager?

One of my programs has been running continuously for 2 months. Task manager
shows:

Mem Usage 230,284 k
Peak Mem Usage 356,464 k
Page Faults 374,021
VM Size 1,410,208 k

The VM Size seems so large. The Mem Usage value is relatively similar to the
value when the program first starts. The VM Size is hugely larger then the
value at program start. What does "VM Size" mean.

0
webster904 (54)
7/6/2005 11:08:15 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Virtual Memory size, the logical memory that has been allocated to it - This
is likely to be the maximum your program has ever used plus several MB on
top.

Sounds like a memory leak.

--
- Mark Randall
http://zetech.swehli.com

"Webster" <webster@mail.com> wrote in message
> What exactly is the "VM Size" column in the task manager?
>
> One of my programs has been running continuously for 2 months. Task
> manager shows:
>
> Mem Usage 230,284 k
> Peak Mem Usage 356,464 k
> Page Faults 374,021
> VM Size 1,410,208 k
>
> The VM Size seems so large. The Mem Usage value is relatively similar to
> the value when the program first starts. The VM Size is hugely larger then
> the value at program start. What does "VM Size" mean.

0
markyr1 (230)

Task Manager "VM Size"
What exactly is the "VM Size" column in the task manager? One of my programs has been running continuously for 2 months. Task manager shows: Mem Usage 230,284 k Peak Mem Usage 356,464 k Page Faults 374,021 VM Size 1,410,208 k The VM Size seems so large. The Mem Usage value is relatively similar to the value when the program first starts. The VM Size is hugely larger then the value at program start. What does "VM Size" mean. Virtual Memory size, the logical memory that has been allocated to it - This is likely to be the maximum your program has ever used plus seve...

Visual C++: Getting the VM size in task manager???
Hi all, I'm looking for an API that retrives the VM size in the task manager. And i'm using Visual C++ 6.0. I had used >>>GetProcessMemoryInfo() <<< But none of the members in the >>>PROCESS_MEMORY_COUNTERS<<< structure has the VM size in Task manager. Is there anything else to retrive the VM size of a particular Process handle??? Thanks, Sethu For getting the the VM of the system see GlobalMemoryStatus and GlobalMemoryStatusEx But I don't understand what you mean by VM of a process? Virtual memory is used by the system, I don't ...

VM size for store.exe
Hi! I just installed a exchange cluster, and i'm wondering if i've done anything wrong in my setup. The store.exe is using 38MB Phys. mem, but it's VM size is 1,2GB. Is this normal? (in all my other non-cluster exchange servers the memory allocation is opposite, low on the VM, but high on the physical) The mad.exe and mssearch.exe have got an VM size of around 500MB. There are currently only one mailbox on this server.... Win2003 R2, with Exchange 2003 SP2 Download and run MS Exchange Best Practices Analyzer. This will help make sure everything is OK with your server. Nue &l...