Specialized ComboBox

Hi.
I'm trying to create a combo box, dropdown style, which will enter the text
in the edit field to the list box upon hitting enter key, and allow deletion
of items from the list box.

I'm affraid i have no clue as to how to do this -
i thought about deriving from CComboBox and adding handler to keydown.
but no idea as to how to exactly.
Help will be much appreciated.

0
Dont1906 (15)
11/1/2003 12:55:26 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Ori,

    You first need to find out if the user has swapped left & right mouse
buttons (GetSystemMetrics(SM_SWAPBUTTON)).  Then if the user has swapped
mouse buttons you need to hook WM_LBUTTONUP, if the user has not swapped
mouse buttons you need to hook WM_RBUTTONUP.  Now whenever you receive the
message, you need to first call GetCursorPos to obtain the x,y coordinates
of the mouse.  I am not sure if these coordinates can be used as-is (you
probably need to call ScreenToClient or something of the sort).  Then you
need to call LoadMenu to load the menu from your resource.  Then you need to
call TrackPopupMenu(Ex) to display the popup menu.  Again the x,y
coordinates probably need to be converted.

> > Hi.
> > I'm trying to create a combo box, dropdown style, which will enter the
> text
> > in the edit field to the list box upon hitting enter key, and allow
> deletion
> > of items from the list box.
> >
> > I'm affraid i have no clue as to how to do this -
> > i thought about deriving from CComboBox and adding handler to keydown.
> > but no idea as to how to exactly.
> > Help will be much appreciated.

0
tbalcom1 (29)
10/31/2003 6:21:36 PM
How exactly are you hooking the messages?

There is a hack to get the HWND of the listbox.  When you get a
WM_CTLCOLORLISTBOX message, the LPARAM is a HWND of the listbox portion of
the combobox.  Of course, this will be harder if you have more than one
combobox on that screen.

"Ori" <Dont@like.junkmail> wrote in message
> The problem is that i need to hook left/right clicks in the list box area
of
> the combobox.
> i have no idea how to get there....
> (if i try hooking in the combobox it only respondes to click on the down
> arrow button, since the edit/listbox controls respond first)
>
> "Trevor" <tbalcom@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> > Ori,
> >
> >     You first need to find out if the user has swapped left & right
mouse
> > buttons (GetSystemMetrics(SM_SWAPBUTTON)).  Then if the user has swapped
> > mouse buttons you need to hook WM_LBUTTONUP, if the user has not swapped
> > mouse buttons you need to hook WM_RBUTTONUP.  Now whenever you receive
the
> > message, you need to first call GetCursorPos to obtain the x,y
coordinates
> > of the mouse.  I am not sure if these coordinates can be used as-is (you
> > probably need to call ScreenToClient or something of the sort).  Then
you
> > need to call LoadMenu to load the menu from your resource.  Then you
need
> > call TrackPopupMenu(Ex) to display the popup menu.  Again the x,y
> > coordinates probably need to be converted.
> >
> > "Ori" <Dont@like.email> wrote in message
> > > Well i've managed to check for the enter hit by implementing
> > > PreTranslateMessage and checking there for the key.
> > > but i'm still without a clue as to how to create a context menu upon
> right
> > > clicking on an item in the list box.
> > > Ideas ?
> > >
> > > "Ori" <Dont@like.email> wrote in message
> > > text
> > > deletion

0
tbalcom1 (29)
10/31/2003 8:27:46 PM

"Ori" <Dont@like.email> wrote in message news:3fa277ff@news.bezeqint.net...
> Hi.
> I'm trying to create a combo box, dropdown style, which will enter the
text
> in the edit field to the list box upon hitting enter key, and allow
deletion
> of items from the list box.
>
> I'm affraid i have no clue as to how to do this -
> i thought about deriving from CComboBox and adding handler to keydown.
> but no idea as to how to exactly.
> Help will be much appreciated.

0
Dont1906 (15)
11/1/2003 3:13:12 AM
The problem is that i need to hook left/right clicks in the list box area of
the combobox.
i have no idea how to get there....
(if i try hooking in the combobox it only respondes to click on the down
arrow button, since the edit/listbox controls respond first)

"Trevor" <tbalcom@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> Ori,
>
>     You first need to find out if the user has swapped left & right mouse
> buttons (GetSystemMetrics(SM_SWAPBUTTON)).  Then if the user has swapped
> mouse buttons you need to hook WM_LBUTTONUP, if the user has not swapped
> mouse buttons you need to hook WM_RBUTTONUP.  Now whenever you receive the
> message, you need to first call GetCursorPos to obtain the x,y coordinates
> of the mouse.  I am not sure if these coordinates can be used as-is (you
> probably need to call ScreenToClient or something of the sort).  Then you
> need to call LoadMenu to load the menu from your resource.  Then you need
> call TrackPopupMenu(Ex) to display the popup menu.  Again the x,y
> coordinates probably need to be converted.
>
> "Ori" <Dont@like.email> wrote in message
> > Well i've managed to check for the enter hit by implementing
> > PreTranslateMessage and checking there for the key.
> > but i'm still without a clue as to how to create a context menu upon
right
> > clicking on an item in the list box.
> > Ideas ?
> >
> > "Ori" <Dont@like.email> wrote in message
> > > Hi.
> > > I'm trying to create a combo box, dropdown style, which will enter the
> > text
> > > in the edit field to the list box upon hitting enter key, and allow
> > deletion
> > > of items from the list box.
> > >
> > > I'm affraid i have no clue as to how to do this -
> > > i thought about deriving from CComboBox and adding handler to keydown.
> > > but no idea as to how to exactly.
> > > Help will be much appreciated.

0
Dont2447 (2)
11/1/2003 4:51:02 AM
Why not GetComboBoxInfo() and WM_CONTEXTMENU?

Or I've missed something?

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://TerraInformatica.com

| How exactly are you hooking the messages?
|
| There is a hack to get the HWND of the listbox.  When you get a
| WM_CTLCOLORLISTBOX message, the LPARAM is a HWND of the listbox portion of
| the combobox.  Of course, this will be harder if you have more than one
| combobox on that screen.
|
| "Ori" <Dont@like.junkmail> wrote in message
| > The problem is that i need to hook left/right clicks in the list box
area
| of
| > the combobox.
| > i have no idea how to get there....
| > (if i try hooking in the combobox it only respondes to click on the down
| > arrow button, since the edit/listbox controls respond first)
| >
| > "Trevor" <tbalcom@somewhere.com> wrote in message
| > > Ori,
| > >
| > >     You first need to find out if the user has swapped left & right
| mouse
| > > buttons (GetSystemMetrics(SM_SWAPBUTTON)).  Then if the user has
swapped
| > > mouse buttons you need to hook WM_LBUTTONUP, if the user has not
swapped
| > > mouse buttons you need to hook WM_RBUTTONUP.  Now whenever you receive
| the
| > > message, you need to first call GetCursorPos to obtain the x,y
| coordinates
| > > of the mouse.  I am not sure if these coordinates can be used as-is
(you
| > > probably need to call ScreenToClient or something of the sort).  Then
| you
| > > need to call LoadMenu to load the menu from your resource.  Then you
| need
| > > call TrackPopupMenu(Ex) to display the popup menu.  Again the x,y
| > > coordinates probably need to be converted.
| > >
| > > "Ori" <Dont@like.email> wrote in message
| > right

| the

| keydown.

0
andrew6656 (27)
11/1/2003 6:32:22 AM
The whole point of the SM_SWAPBUTTON is that it decouples the physical mouse click from
the logical mouse click. If you read WM_LBUTTONDOWN as "the button naturally clicked by
the index finger" and WM_RBUTTONDOWN as "the button naturally clicked by the middle
finger", you have all the insight you need. The fact that some users are left-handed (or
even ambimousetrous) and may be using the index finger of their left hand to click the
right-hand button of the mouse is completely transparent to you.

Now as far as "adding data with the enter key", what I do is subclass the combo box and
set up an OnChar handler. When I see the enter key, I typically do something like iterate
through the combo box searching for a string of exactly the same value as the one
currently in the edit box. If I find it, I either do nothing (it is already there) or I
will move it to position 0 (depends on the goal of the combo box). If you don't are about
case sensitivity (I did), you can use FindStringExact, which makes your job a little
easier.

You may need to check out KB article Q174667 to give you the opportunity to pop up the
menu by intercepting the WM_RBUTTON events in the dropdown listbox.
					joe

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:21:36 -0500, "Trevor" <tbalcom@somewhere.com> wrote:

>Ori,
>
>    You first need to find out if the user has swapped left & right mouse
>buttons (GetSystemMetrics(SM_SWAPBUTTON)).  Then if the user has swapped
>mouse buttons you need to hook WM_LBUTTONUP, if the user has not swapped
>mouse buttons you need to hook WM_RBUTTONUP.  Now whenever you receive the
>message, you need to first call GetCursorPos to obtain the x,y coordinates
>of the mouse.  I am not sure if these coordinates can be used as-is (you
>probably need to call ScreenToClient or something of the sort).  Then you
>need to call LoadMenu to load the menu from your resource.  Then you need to
>call TrackPopupMenu(Ex) to display the popup menu.  Again the x,y
>coordinates probably need to be converted.
>
>"Ori" <Dont@like.email> wrote in message news:3fa29849@news.bezeqint.net...
>> Well i've managed to check for the enter hit by implementing
>> PreTranslateMessage and checking there for the key.
>> but i'm still without a clue as to how to create a context menu upon right
>> clicking on an item in the list box.
>> Ideas ?
>>
>> "Ori" <Dont@like.email> wrote in message
>> > Hi.
>> > I'm trying to create a combo box, dropdown style, which will enter the
>> text
>> > in the edit field to the list box upon hitting enter key, and allow
>> deletion
>> > of items from the list box.
>> >
>> > I'm affraid i have no clue as to how to do this -
>> > i thought about deriving from CComboBox and adding handler to keydown.
>> > but no idea as to how to exactly.
>> > Help will be much appreciated.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
11/1/2003 5:40:48 PM
I think it is possible to use it,
the point is that i need to subclass the list box and then catch the
message- since it intercepts the WM_CONTEXTMENU message, and i have no idea
as to do this (not even using WM_CTLCOLORLISTBOX message and the msdn
example on how to subclass the listbox)
:(

"Andrew Fedoniouk" <andrew@terra-REMOVETHISinformatica.org> wrote in message
> Why not GetComboBoxInfo() and WM_CONTEXTMENU?
>
> Or I've missed something?
>
> Andrew Fedoniouk.
> http://TerraInformatica.com
>

> "Trevor" <tbalcom@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> | How exactly are you hooking the messages?
> |
> | There is a hack to get the HWND of the listbox.  When you get a
> | WM_CTLCOLORLISTBOX message, the LPARAM is a HWND of the listbox portion
of
> | the combobox.  Of course, this will be harder if you have more than one
> | combobox on that screen.
> |
> | "Ori" <Dont@like.junkmail> wrote in message
> | > The problem is that i need to hook left/right clicks in the list box
> area
> | of
> | > the combobox.
> | > i have no idea how to get there....
> | > (if i try hooking in the combobox it only respondes to click on the
down
> | > arrow button, since the edit/listbox controls respond first)
> | >
> | > "Trevor" <tbalcom@somewhere.com> wrote in message

> | mouse
> swapped
> swapped
> | the
> | coordinates
> (you
Then
> | you
> | need

> | > right

> | the
> allow

> | keydown.

0
Dont2447 (2)

Special Characters
Is there a quick way to convert all special characters to XML format for example '&' to &amp; or '+' sign to ? ? MAF wrote: > Is there a quick way to convert all special characters to XML format for > example '&' to &amp; or '+' sign to ? ? '&' needs to be escaped as &amp; but the '+' sign does not need to be escaped in XML. How you do it depends on the .NET APIs you use, if you use an XmlTextWriter to create XML then the WriteString method for instance does the escaping for you. If you use the DOM th...

Can't Copy and Paste or Paste Special between Excel Workbooks
We have a number of Excel users in our office who cannot copy and paste between Excel workbooks. They can copy and paste between worksheets. When you highlight the section to copy and then go to the new workbook both the paste and paste special are "grayed out". This is true whether you right-click the mouse, go to the edit menu, or use control keys. This occurs with any data type and the most simple workbooks. I have seen some suggestions here but none have worked for this particular problem. I have reset the menus and renamed the .xlb files and neither helps. You can open t...

Specialized ComboBox
Hi. I'm trying to create a combo box, dropdown style, which will enter the text in the edit field to the list box upon hitting enter key, and allow deletion of items from the list box. I'm affraid i have no clue as to how to do this - i thought about deriving from CComboBox and adding handler to keydown. but no idea as to how to exactly. Help will be much appreciated. Ori, You first need to find out if the user has swapped left & right mouse buttons (GetSystemMetrics(SM_SWAPBUTTON)). Then if the user has swapped mouse buttons you need to hook WM_LBUTTONUP, if the user has...

escaping special characters with DataSet.WriteXml?
Howdy, Is there a way to explicitly escape special characters (particularly & (&amp;) and ' (&apos;)) when writing a data set with the WriteXml method? I know this is supposed to happen automatically (according to MS), but in my case, it doesn't. I'm pulling data from MS-SQL with c#, filling data tables with SqlDataAdapter and a query, adding tables to a DataSet, then WriteXml to a file. Special characters aren't getting escaped. Yes, I've confirmed this by viewing the text directly, not viewing the file through IE, which will convert entities back to chara...

Special character in text column
I have a column defined as text field in MS Access 2003. I want to insert a string with prefixed of hex02, followed by Carriage Return, followed by Line Feed and ended with hex03. How do I do that manually? eg. (hex02 character)....This is a test.....(Carriage Return, Line Feed, hex03) Thanks Hex(2) & "....This is a test...." & vbCrLf & Hex(3) -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Alan T" <alanNOSPAMpltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:u1gDZXnUIHA.4280@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >...

Specials
We are having a special on item X for the month of December. With a the purchase of X comes a free A, B, and C. Now all these are compelety different items. Is there a way to set this up? I only see buy one get one free, buy x amount and get x% discount. Unfortunately i dont think RMS can deal with these kind of promotions - i have these sort running all the time, you can use the mix and match, but it makes the last item scanned the free one rather than the cheapest one, this is workable as long as the till staff know that the main item must be scanned first and then the items which a...

Combobox #2
Can you set the values in a combobox to values contained in a row instead of a column? For example, use cells A1:C1 instead of A1:A3. The input values would then each be in the drop down menu for A1, B1, & C1. thanks, Jason Why didn't you just try it? You would have seen then that you can. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18f9c01c44cb9$e2ce7b20$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Can you set the values...

Combobox filter default value before form open
I have a combobox [me.cmbx_example] who's recordsource is a valid sql statement which returns a list of usernames on form open. I have an additional field [me.curr_user] that holds the current network user name on form open. I would like to filter the default value to the username that matchs [me.curr_user]. something like "if me.cmbx.example.defaultvalue = me.curr_user ....where me.cmbx.example.itemvalue = me.curr_user...." would I need to loop through the combo values to do this or is there a filter property I'm not seeing? Any suggestions are appreciated. Stalin wro...

2006 Special Offers
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C59420.040B7050 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable For a while I was getting notice to participate in the special offers (I = downloaded 06). I would always opt in but it would give me a server = error message. Now that notice has not come back in a few weeks. = Anyone have an ideas what is going on? adam ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C59420.040B7050 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable &l...

Special symbols
How can I display the special symbols in the 0-31 range in a CRichEditView? I have a .ttf font that contains the symbols but can't determine how to map the characters. Thanks ...

Problems with special characters in contact names
Hello, when I open a contact in CRM an click on the button "send eMail" I get an popup with an error 500. As far as I found out this only happes if the field "First Name" or "Last name" has german special characters like �, �, � in it. I'm using an english CRM with the german language pack. So the base language is english. This error occurs only if the base language is english. On a system with german base language it works all perfectly. I need to get it work on an installation with english base language. Does someone know how to solve this problem? Th...

paste special in outlook
I often use paste special (text) to paste lines from a telnet session into a mail. Can i have this set as default so all i need to do is paste (without the need to go to edit / paste special/select text / ok )? Or is there a shortcut i can use such as ctrl-v ? ...

What is a difference between SPECIAL Transfer and Credit Card Paym
I have one checking account and several credit cards. The main transactions are: money transferred from checking to credit for monthly payments and sometimes balance transfers from the credit to checking. I am confused when i have a payment to credit card and it is showing on my checking account is it transfer or credit card payment? Because sometimes i get warning that the transaction will get unreconciled if i choose the credit card payment. What is a logic ? Credit Card Payment was invented for people who just couldn't get using Transfer to make a credit card payment. They func...

Userform combobox question
Hello I have a userform combobox which is linked to the values in column A I want to find a way in VBA so that when an item is selected from the drop down menu, it returns the value generated by the formula in the adjacent cell in column B So in example below, if I select joe, I want the value 45 put somewhere I can use it as the input for the next vba variable. john 25 joe 45 carol 65 Anyone got any ideas? Many thanks TP You can try this. It might need some tweaking, but this is the general gist of it. "teepee" wrote: > > Hello &...

How do I record this special transaction: Vodaphone
Hello I own some Vodaphone ADRs. In July they made a mandatory exchange - sadly using the same stock symbol. They exchanged .87 shares for every 1 share. I am using Money 2004 (standard) - how do I record this transaction? -- Leslie ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in th...

text length of combobox edit field
I've created a single field combobox and want to be able to check how many characters a user has entered into the edit field. I used the OnCbnEditchange... event handler, to track the change but can't seem to find out the length of the keyin. I've tried GetLBTextLen(0) and got a length of -1 and GetLBText() doesn't return any text at all. GetCurSel for the edit returns -1 so I tried using that as the index for GetLBTextLen and that doesn't work either. Does anyone have some ideas? Thanks, Stephanie In article <F9412A36-8B35-41F4-A750-B53CFDAF2421@microsoft.com&g...

How do I keep "SPECIAL" being auto-completed as "SPECIAL DELIVERY"?
Word 2004 OS. 10.6.2 I have occasion to type the word "SPECIAL" right-justified in capital letters. When I do, Word 2004 auto-completes it as "SPECIAL DELIVERY". How do I stop Word from doing this? ...

two ComboBox questions
hello - I have some code attached to several of my ComboBoxes that works fine, but I'm not if it is 'best practice' coding. I'd really like any suggestions for improvement: a) If I have to walk through the items in a ComboBox, i do this... n = 0 Do While Not IsNull(Me!cboGroup.ItemData(n)) ... code here .... n = n + 1 Loop Is this the best way to walk through these items? Is there a better way involving 'Do While Not rs.EOF'? b) Say I have three ComboBoxes and I only want to proceed if they all show valu...

Perform special upgrade failed on one company
Just installed sp5 for GP 8.0 and the Dynamics and all company databases except one upgraded fine. I followed a TK and manually ran all *.cmp scripts from the tasks folder in Query Analyzer without errors. The company still has a red X next to it and users (including 'sa') are experiencing posting errors. When I try to upgrade that company again, I just get an message that an "error occurred upgrading <company name>" What should I try next? ...

entering special characters
I am useing WinXP with Office 2007 excel. I can not get <hex number>+<ALT>+<X> to work for Unicode hex numbers. I can insert useing the character map, but typing long strings of Math symbols is so slow this way. Every time I hit the <ALT> key, the ribbon numbering system pops up. If I use ASCII decimal, I can insert special characters form the keyboard using <ALT><ASCII decimal number>. The real problem is that some of the math symbols that I want to use are not in the ASCII char map but in the Unicode char map (hex numbers). Anybody know how to ...

decision on Combobox
Hi, I created a combobox based on a cell range F1:F4. This works fine. The problem I'm having is how can I make a decision on the combobox selection in another cell? Do I need to write VBA code to do this? (I hope not but, If I have to) I've tried using an IF statement in the cell that is evaluating the combobox but its not working. I referenced the name of the combobox but, how do I evaluate the selection? Thanks in advance for your help! Tony Hi do you use a combobox or a listbox created by 'Data - Validation - List' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Ton...

Special Offers Prompt
Every time I start Money Deluxe 2004, I get the "You have not signed up for offers" crap. Each time I check the "No" box, but to no avail. How do I kill the damn thing? in money standard 2003 ===================== goto tools -> options [x] turn off sponsporship.....button =========================== >-----Original Message----- >Every time I start Money Deluxe 2004, I get the "You have not signed up >for offers" crap. Each time I check the "No" box, but to no avail. How >do I kill the damn thing? >. > In article <20ec0...

data_seg has multiple special meanings
All previous comments were from guys, who do not know about one base and very important usa: the data_seg is used for Inter Process Communications in Win32 worl. And it is not recommended by Microsoft. Microsoft wants everybody to use slower things liek memory mapped files. I need speed - I do not care what microsoft wants. My simple guess all messages with whatever microsoft does not like - WILL NEVER SEE a day light . But if somebody manage to read this - look for samples in the internet of Win32-specific C or C++ code of 2 processes, using the same memory ( talking RAM )... May be you will ...

Paste special
Word 2008, 12.2.4 I frequently need to paste unformatted text and have assigned a key combination to bring up the Paste Special dialog box. Is there a way of making the dialog box default to Unformated Text rather than HTML Format so all I need do is Enter instead of having to select the other option? (With 2007 I have a macro to do the job with the click of a button but 2008............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I am too old to try to start using AppleScript or Automator having grown up with VB.. camlad Nope, the only way of automating it in Word 2008 is with Apple Script, b...

Quick key for Paste special #2
Anyone know the Quick Key for Paste Special? Thanks brent Are you talking about: <Alt> + <E> <S> Or possibly adding an icon to the toolbar. Right click in the toolbar and choose "Customize". "Commands" tab, and click "Edit" in the left window. Click and drag "PasteSpecial" from the right window to the toolbar. If you don't like the text button, you can click on "ModifySelection", and then click on "ChangeButtonImage", and choose one of those icon options. -- HTH, RD =======================================...