Some question about mfc application

Hello,

I just begin in the MFC application and I have some questions.

I develop a mfc application.

1 In this application, I create a button to open a second dialog box.
And in the second dialog box, I create a second button to open a third
window.

But in my second dialog box when I double cliked in the button I create
a new class.
After I double clicked in the button and I fill with

Cdialog dlg;
dlg.Create(IDD_DIALOG1,this)
dlg.showwindow(sW_SHOW)

When i build and run my program I can open the second dialog box but
the third dialog box doesn't work.
I can't open the third windows.
Where is the problem ?

2 In my application, there are 1 picture at the center of my dialog
box.
But when I use (ShowWindow(WS_MAXIMISE)) my dialog box is in full
screen but my picture is not at the center.
I want to do a full screen application who allow to move my picture at
the center when it is in full screen.
How I can do this ?

3 I take the size and the path of a file and I want to watch it in a
same window (because when I use MessageBox I can only see one char)
How i can do this ?

4 I want to create a small area in a picture and when I click in this
area I want to open a dialog box.
Can you help me ?

0
john.ambou (29)
5/5/2006 9:55:37 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Are you calling DoModal() at some point?  It would help if you showed
more code.

I'm also curious, why are you double-clicking the button?

Regards,

Gerry Murphy

<john.ambou@free.fr> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I just begin in the MFC application and I have some questions.
>
> I develop a mfc application.
>
> 1 In this application, I create a button to open a second dialog box.
> And in the second dialog box, I create a second button to open a third
> window.
>
> But in my second dialog box when I double cliked in the button I create
> a new class.
> After I double clicked in the button and I fill with
>
> Cdialog dlg;
> dlg.Create(IDD_DIALOG1,this)
> dlg.showwindow(sW_SHOW)
>
> When i build and run my program I can open the second dialog box but
> the third dialog box doesn't work.
> I can't open the third windows.
> Where is the problem ?
>

> 2 In my application, there are 1 picture at the center of my dialog
> box.
> But when I use (ShowWindow(WS_MAXIMISE)) my dialog box is in full
> screen but my picture is not at the center.
> I want to do a full screen application who allow to move my picture at
> the center when it is in full screen.
> How I can do this ?
>

> 3 I take the size and the path of a file and I want to watch it in a
> same window (because when I use MessageBox I can only see one char)
> How i can do this ?
>
> 4 I want to create a small area in a picture and when I click in this
> area I want to open a dialog box.
> Can you help me ?

I don't call DoModal function.

In fact in my first dialog box (his name is CTestDlg) who open the
second dialog box, I use the source code follow :

void CTestDlg::OnButton1()
{
	CDialog dlg;
	dlg.Create(IDD_DIALOG1,this);
	dlg.ShowWindow(SW_SHOW);
	dlg.RunModalLoop();
}

And in my second dialog box, I must create a new class whose name is
IDD_DIALOG1Dlg (Base CDialog) and in the button to open the third
dialog box I put the source code follow :

void IDD_DIALOG1Dlg::OnButton1()
{
	CDialog dlg;
	dlg.Create(IDD_DIALOG2,this);
	dlg.ShowWindow(SW_SHOW);
	dlg.RunModalLoop();
}

I can open the second dialog box but when I push the button to open the
third window, this dialox box doesn't open.

0
john.ambou (29)
5/5/2006 1:35:50 PM
john.ambou@free.fr wrote:
> In fact in my first dialog box (his name is CTestDlg) who open the
> second dialog box, I use the source code follow :
>
> void CTestDlg::OnButton1()
> {
> 	CDialog dlg;
> 	dlg.Create(IDD_DIALOG1,this);
> 	dlg.ShowWindow(SW_SHOW);
> 	dlg.RunModalLoop();
> }

Do not use CDialog directly.  Every dialog must have a class that you
derive from CDialog.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
Scott
5/5/2006 2:28:27 PM
Is there some reason you're not using DoModal()?

It seems to me that rather than

> void CTestDlg::OnButton1()
> {
> CDialog dlg;
> dlg.Create(IDD_DIALOG1,this);
> dlg.ShowWindow(SW_SHOW);
> dlg.RunModalLoop();
> }

 void CTestDlg::OnButton1()
 {
    CDialog dlg(IDD_DIALOG1,this);
    int nReturn = dlg.DoModal();
 }

is much more straightforward.

"Scott McPhillips [MVP]" <org-dot-mvps-at-scottmcp> wrote in message
> john.ambou@free.fr wrote:
>> In fact in my first dialog box (his name is CTestDlg) who open the
>> second dialog box, I use the source code follow :
>>
>> void CTestDlg::OnButton1()
>> {
>> CDialog dlg;
>> dlg.Create(IDD_DIALOG1,this);
>> dlg.ShowWindow(SW_SHOW);
>> dlg.RunModalLoop();
>> }
>
> Do not use CDialog directly.  Every dialog must have a class that you
> derive from CDialog.
>
> --
> Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

I've noticed a certain reluctance among some posters to derive classes from
MFC classes.  There was another fellow who didn't want to derive a class
from CButton.
What do you suppose gives rise to this?

Gerry Murphy wrote:
> I've noticed a certain reluctance among some posters to derive classes from
> MFC classes.  There was another fellow who didn't want to derive a class
> from CButton.
> What do you suppose gives rise to this?

The easy answer is inexperience.  But I've noticed a certain reluctance
among some posters to get a book.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
Scott
5/5/2006 9:36:17 PM
The code is pretty bizarre, to understate the situation.  First, it should not be a
CDIalog object.  This is fatal.  That only allows enough memory to use a raw CDialog.  Why
use IDD_DIALOG1 anyway?  What is the actual class?

e.g.,

class CMyDialog : public CDialog { ... }

then the correct invocation is
	CMyDialog dlg;
	dlg.DoModal();

I wouldn't even attempt to analyze the code you show; it probably cannot work, but it is
so bizarre that there is no particular reason to even examine it.  Throw it out and
rewrite as shown above.

To create a modless dialog, you would use CMyDialog::IDD as the dialog ID, not some
useless name like IDD_DIALOG1 (you shoulld get rid of every default name assigned by
Visual Studio and use REAL names that make sense to you.  For example, you might change
IDD_DIALOG1 to IDD_GET_USER_NAME or whatever it is, but you would still use CMyDialog::IDD
as the ID for the modeless dialog).  Similarly, get rid of those nonsense names like
IDC_BUTTON1 and assign meaningful names to them.

			joe
On 5 May 2006 06:35:50 -0700, john.ambou@free.fr wrote:

>I don't call DoModal function.
>
>In fact in my first dialog box (his name is CTestDlg) who open the
>second dialog box, I use the source code follow :
>
>void CTestDlg::OnButton1()
>{
>	CDialog dlg;
>	dlg.Create(IDD_DIALOG1,this);
>	dlg.ShowWindow(SW_SHOW);
>	dlg.RunModalLoop();
>}
>
>And in my second dialog box, I must create a new class whose name is
>IDD_DIALOG1Dlg (Base CDialog) and in the button to open the third
>dialog box I put the source code follow :
>
>void IDD_DIALOG1Dlg::OnButton1()
>{
>	CDialog dlg;
>	dlg.Create(IDD_DIALOG2,this);
>	dlg.ShowWindow(SW_SHOW);
>	dlg.RunModalLoop();
>}
>
>I can open the second dialog box but when I push the button to open the
>third window, this dialox box doesn't open.
****
As I said, the code is not even worthy of analysis.  It is so bizarre, I can't imagine why
it would work, but if it does, the real surprise is that it works at all, not that it
fails.
****
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15973)
5/6/2006 4:31:36 AM
Thank you for you help, I find the method to open a lot of dialog box.

I want to know if someone can help me to create a mouse area.
When I click in this area I must open a dialog box.

Can I help me please ?

0
john.ambou (29)

Backup question

a question and a question

Question about Paste Special

IE8 privacy question

IF AND question

Microsoft Query question

Question

OWA Question #16

Text Box Question

401K questions

VBA//Oracle Interfacing Question

If / Then Question

ROWCOUNT question

Exmerge Question #7

question about "delete"
I have a pointer: MyWindowClass *p = NULL; p = new MyClass(...); .... delete p; After delete p, does p equal NULL(it is in C++ standard?)? How to decide if p has been deleted? The reason I asked this question is that in my project, there are many code/files use the pointer which I need to determine is it is deleted? Can I use: if(p != NULL) delete p; I guess somewhere p has been deleted, but p still not NULL(possible?), the above code might cause problem. Hi Kathy, I typically just set p to NULL when I delete it: delete p; p = NULL; Then you can check it in other places and ...

More combining companies questions
We too have acquired another company and need to look at all of our options concerning what to do with email. We run Exchange 2003, they run Exchange 2000. What is the best way to combine the two so we can share GAL, free-busy info, etc.? No decisions have been made as far as what we are going to do with their AD. We could of course change their MX record to point to our server, update our RUS, etc., but what if we want to keep an Exchange server at their site? What has to be done to join their server to our Exchange org? If you want sync both GAL,pls check this http://www.microso...

switchboard question 12-26-07
Is there a way to put the names of different switchboard pages on the switchboard form? If you put one name on a switchboard page (in form design view), the same name appears on all the switchboard pages. I understand why this happens, but what if I want the user to be able to know which switchboard s/he is on? Thanks. PS the same thing happens if I go into form design view and put in control tip text. It puts the same text for the same-numbered menu item on two different switchboard pages. "Debbie S." wrote: > Is there a way to put the names of different switchboard ...

Some Questions about Outlook
1. what's the max size of attachment for sending email? 2. newMail notifitor: when there is a new mail, can the tary be changed to other until i check the mail? can it work with hotmail? 3. is there any function likes "To Do List"; calendar require time setting? 4. configure file backup; can i back up all of my setting? -- Me, Who I am On Sun, 7 May 2006 22:17:01 -0700, Dotku <lwjct@hotmail.com> wrote: >1. what's the max size of attachment for sending email? That would depend on your mail server/ISP. >2. newMail notifitor: when there is a new mail, can the ...

Simple CRM 3.0 Questions
- If an account is no longer active, what's the process to make it inactive? - Can a lead have multiple contacts, with one acting as the primary contact? - When I create a new lead, what the 'Topic' field usually used for? - When creating a lead, on the Details Page, how can I add entries into the 'Industry' and 'Lead Source' drop down lists? - Will CRM track all e-mails associated with a lead? How do I ensure this? - How do I promote a Lead to an Opportunity to an Account? - What's the real definition of an Opportunity? It seems so grey compared to...

Toolbar question
I have created a combo box on my toolbar. I am using 32 x 32 buttons, so my combo box is sitting high up. I would like to move it down to the center of the toolbar. To create it I used the following code, CRect rect; SetButtonInfo(14, IDC_FILTERNAMECB, TBBS_SEPARATOR, 200); GetItemRect(14, &rect); rect.bottom = rect.top + 200; m_cbFilterNames.Create(WS_TABSTOP | WS_VISIBLE | WS_VSCROLL | CBS_DROPDOWNLIST | CBS_HASSTRINGS | CBS_SORT, rect, this, IDC_FILTERNAMECB); How do I tell it to place itself in the center of the toolbar? Here is my code: code is from inherited CToolba...

Win CE 6.0 console application
Hi All, I want to create a Console program in Win CE, which reads an input from console. Tried with scanf(), wsprintf(), getc() and getch() using Windows command prompt (Target Control), but it didn't work. I'm running this program in Device Emulator. Pleae help me to read data from console in Win CE. regards, Achu "Didn't work"? You have to hit enter at the end of any input operation for the console... Paul T. "Achu" wrote: > Hi All, > > I want to create a Console program in Win CE, which reads an > i...

number format question
I need excel to format a list of ip addresses. The problem I am having is that I cannot figure out how to get the columns formatted so any number I put in will be three digits. So a two digit number such as "24" needs to become a three digit number (024 in this example). Here is a real example, if I enter: 158.2.151.13 Excel needs to make it: 158.002.151.013 Can this be done? Thanks all! ...

Question to Microsoft
Hi, I am really fedup with this news group if no one reply what is the use of this site. I have a suggestion why dont you show reply send with the question. Thanks ...

Newbie question about Ex 2003
Hi to the Gurus amongst you, sorry about the length of this but I feel the need to fill you in with the scenario before I ask the questions. I have just got a new job with a global company. I used to work at a school before with two domains and about 800 users. I have installed and maintained Exchange 2002 at the school. The new company wants to get better organised with their e-mail. They are not running any form of Exchange, they have Linux servers with their own portal and a couple or three W2k servers (Don't know yet which service packs are installed). They are using Outlook...