Show dialog but not on task bar?

How would I go about showing a dialog window but not displaying it on the
task-bar? (This is a splash-screen.)

Any help appreciated,
.... Steve.

0
ctrl (5)
9/10/2003 11:15:29 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi Steve,

I suppose you've got a main-window and want to show a splash-screen on
startup.

I would solve it following way:
The dialog-object (here I call it m_myDialog) is a member of your
main-window-class.
In the OnCreate-function of your main-window open the dialog with
"m_myDialog.DoModal()".When you call m_myDialog.Create set the parent-window
parameter to your main-window, even your main-window isn't shown:
m_myDialog.Create( resource-ID, this );    // resource-ID is the ID you use
in the resource-editor

To close the splash-screen you can use a button on the dialog or a timer.
Your decision how you want it to be closed.
I hope this small hint helps you.

B. Arnold

    Good one, thanks Bj�rn. I didn't think of doing it that way. I'll try
your method in the morning - it's pretty late here, (almost 3AM).
    Meantime, I also found another way that works OK. I dynamically create
and show the splash-screen from the app's 'InitInstance()', then create and
display the main window, passing a pointer to the splash-screen dialog. This
allows the main window to fully initialise while the splash-screen is
showing. A timer determines when to close the splash-screen window and
delete it, but its probably a good idea to allow it to be closed when the
user clicks on it too.
    I had reached this point earlier when I asked for help. Since then, I
discovered that making the splash-screen a tool window prevents it being
displayed in the task-bar. Voila!
    Now, between us, we have two ways of doing it.

.... Steve.

"Bj�rn Arnold" <contact@bjoern-arnold.de> wrote in message
> Hi Steve,
>
> I suppose you've got a main-window and want to show a splash-screen on
> startup.
>
> I would solve it following way:
> The dialog-object (here I call it m_myDialog) is a member of your
> main-window-class.
> In the OnCreate-function of your main-window open the dialog with
> "m_myDialog.DoModal()".When you call m_myDialog.Create set the
parent-window
> parameter to your main-window, even your main-window isn't shown:
> m_myDialog.Create( resource-ID, this );    // resource-ID is the ID you
use
> in the resource-editor
>
> To close the splash-screen you can use a button on the dialog or a timer.
> Your decision how you want it to be closed.
> I hope this small hint helps you.
>
> B. Arnold

0
ctrl (5)

analytical accounting lookups should only show valid codes
When entering AA transaction distributions, the code lookup window should only show valid code combinations. It's not intuitive for the user to have to select a code and get an error message to discover which codes are valid. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the mess...

Outlook shows offline during dial up
Having a problem with outlook 2002. Over the WAN everything works fine. Dial up and connect to the network (VPN) internet work fine. Outlook will sync up however, a red x shows up in the bottom right hand corner. Outlook shows offline, I can send and receive but must hit send and receive. I have reloaded the computer from scratch and still have the same problem. Could it be a Excange setting? Any Ideas? Thanks for the help, If you hit File | Connect to Exchange Server what happens? -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize ...

Clickable Bar Charts #2
Thank you very much for your help. Your excellent examples have hal helped me - but unfortunately because I am just beginning to teac myself this, I am not sure what to do now. I need the following: ******** If ElementID = xlSeries Then If Arg2 > 0 Then MsgBox "Series " & Arg1 & vbCrLf _ & SeriesCollection(Arg1).Name & vbCrLf _ & "Point " & Arg2 & vbCrLf _ & "X = " & WorksheetFunction.Index _ (SeriesCollection(Arg1).XValues, Arg2) & vbCrLf _ & "Y = " & WorksheetFunction.Index _ (SeriesCollection(Arg...

reminder still shows up
when I run Outlook.exe /cleanreminders it simply opens Outlook, I am running Vista "Toppro" <Toppro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7AE8DBF7-6BE3-454A-82F9-5A040566026C@microsoft.com... > when I run Outlook.exe /cleanreminders it simply opens Outlook, I am > running > Vista Outlook version? The Windows version isn't as important and that of Outlook. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

Calling SetWindowTitle Just After Dialog Creation Causes
Hello, In the InitInstance of my CWinApp, I simply create an CPropertyPage by just simply CPropertyPage p(SOME_RESOURCE_ID); just after finished creation, I make a call on SetWindowTile by p.SetWindowTitle(_T("Opps")) Whenever the SetWindowTitle code being executed, an illegal operation will be thrown. I can avoid this problem if I place the SetWindowTitle in InitDialog of the property page. But that is not I want. May I know why calling the SetWindowTitle just after the creation of dialog/ property page will cause illegal operation. How I can solve this? Thanks. yccheok@gma...

Task folders in Outlook reproducing themselves,
Has anyone experienced this?? The Tasks folder in the folder pane replicates itself so there are 10 - 25 copies of it. Deleting them only works for a short time until it replicates itself again. We are running Outlook 2002 SP-1 w/Exchange 2000 server. Only one person is having this issue. Yes. I found that using the ffolder utility helped. I suspect that the Tasks folder was corrupt. I copied all of the tasks into another tasks folder then used the Ffolder utility to delete the folder. Then I used the Command-Line switch to rebuild the system folder and moved all of the tasks back into ...

Show Window
I am currently developing a MFC SDI application. I want to integrate a tray icon with it. When the application is minimized it hides by ShowWindow(SW_HIDE) and then when double clicked on tray icon shown by ShowWindow(SW_SHOWNORMAL). But the problem is if some other application is activated after my application is minimized, ShowWindow shows it but it's behind some screen. I have tried with SetFocus didn't work. Please help me to solve this problem. Thank you. Varuna Try BringWindowToTop. ---- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com In addition to Ajay's idea you can also use SetFor...

Information Stores show dismounted yet mail is still flowing...
Background: Windows AD Mixed moded. Exchange 2003 installed on to a 2 node Microsoft cluster. 1 Front End server...connecting to the primary cluster node. Windows 2003 Standard on, FE Windows 2003 Enterprise Server on BEs (<---cluster) no service packs on either. Exchange has SP1 installed on both nodes and the FE. There are still Exchange 5.5 servers in the environment although they are not being used. The Issue: .....the information stores and public folders all show that they are dismounted...yet email is still flowing into and out of the server without any issues. I just...

Using ajax call to fetch multiple results from multiple queries and showing them 1 by 1 as the results comes.
Hello, I've 20 labels in a 2x10 table on a page. for each label, data comes by individual queries. (total 20 queries for the page.) and it takes about 30-40 seconds for the page to load, and it's not comfortable for the user to see blank page. I want that each cell will show loading.gif images. As and when data comes from query, the images should go visible=false, and the label should display the values one by one. How do I do this task using ajax? Some ASP.NET code example will be helpful for me, as I'm a kind of beginner. Thanks ...

Results show as a minus. WHY?
I have an application that was developed by another developer using VB.net which reside in a SQL table. I need to use some of the data from this table, however the data shows as -0.5 or - 0.99 or -1.70 etc in my Access tables. How can I get those numbers to show as a percentage with only one decimal point to the left? Example: 3.6% or 31.4 %. Any help would be greatly appreciated. No matter what I do it shows that dang "-" at the beginning. You can use the Abs function to strip off the negative Abs([YourTable].[YourField]) And you can format that as percentage either using th...

show comments when cell is highlighted Vs when cursor runs over? #2
How do you make the comments appear when the cell is highlighted opposed to when the mouse cursor runs over the cell? You can press Shift/F2, or Insert/Edit Comment. If you wanted to see it "automatically", when you select the cell, you'd need a macro, but I don't think this is what you're asking. Bob Umlas Excel MVP "Don" wrote: > How do you make the comments appear when the cell is highlighted opposed to > when the mouse cursor runs over the cell? To at least Excel 2000, if you have the Tools, Options, Comment Indicator Only you will see the co...

I need to type numbers into an excel spreadsheet some of them begin with a zero some do not. How can I have excel show the 0 in the numbers that begin with 0. If I type 0236547 the number shows as 236547. I don't want all the numbers I type to begin with zero. I am using Excel 2003. Thanks very much for your help. Best regards, Dee use a custom format with how ever many digits you need, 000000 -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Dee" <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA60FC8A-C7CB-432A-B2B2-EEEBF86D2646@microsoft.com... >...

Comments not showing
When a SharePoint workflow is edited and a comment is added. The comment does not display in the workflow status screen under workflow history. It shows as follows: Task assigned to Andre Wessels was completed by System Account. Comments: Instead of: Task assigned to Andre Wessels was completed by System Account. Comments: Please update to the new company logo. This happens for all standard SharePoint workflows (Approval, Collect Feedback). Any custom workflows does show the comment. The comment field is update in the task item. It just does not show. There is no error in t...

Report Server shows 'Service Unavailable'
Hi, before install, the SRS setup, send me a warning, some like "the Windows Sharepoint Services are install and not permit initialize a Reportserver component" i skip wiht the installation, so.. I can't run http://<localhost>/Reports and http://<localhost>ReportServer show a message "Service Unavailabe", but the ReportServer service is running How initialize that or what do i do? ------=_NextPart_0001_09E699C9 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit <Miguel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > before install, the SRS set...

progress bar didn't update in Vista
Hi I have a program which will show a progress bar in top of Dialog window. It works fine in windows XP and win 2k, but doesn't work in Vista. When running the program in Vista, the progress bar will show but doensn't get update when calling StepIt(). The position seems always stay at beginning The simpified code as follows: CProgressCtrl progressBar; progressBar.Create( WS_VISIBLE | WS_CHILD | PBS_SMOOTH, rect, this, IDC_PROGRESSBAR ); progressBar.SetRange( 0, 100 ); progressBar.SetStep( 25 ); progressBar.StepIt(); Your help is highly appreciated Jun > > The simpifie...

Excel Bar that looks like an Outlook Bar
I have an employee who has what looks like an Outlook BAR on the left side of his Excel worksheet. He inherited the computer and files and does not know how to get rid of it. I have never seen anything like this. Anyone know? Maybe there's an outline on the sheet. Choose Data> Group and Outline > Clear Outline to remove it. Cal Miyatake wrote: > I have an employee who has what looks like an Outlook BAR > on the left side of his Excel worksheet. He inherited the > computer and files and does not know how to get rid of > it. I have never seen anything like this...

Show more time in weekly view?
Outlook 2007 On default the weekly view is only showing until 4 PM without scrolling down. I know there is a way to let you see into the evening hours also without scrolling. Help please. Thanks... Bob ...

TransparentBlt doesn't show the bitmap in ME?
The following doesn't print the bitmap on ME while it works on 2k/xp, can someone help me? Though the status returns TRUE. Thanks. Jiac. CDC *hdc, bghdc; CBitmap bgBitmap; BITMAP bmpInfo; //loads bitmap into memory bgBitmap.LoadBitmap(IDB_BITMAP5); // this bitmap has no needles // get bitmap info bgBitmap.GetBitmap(&bmpInfo); hdc = m_obj->GetDC(); bghdc.CreateCompatibleDC(hdc); bghdc.SelectObject(&bgBitmap); BOOL status = hdc->TransparentBlt(0, 0, 80, 80, &bghdc, 0, 0, 80, 80, TRANSPARENT_KEY_COLOR); //TRANSPARENT_KEY_COLOR if (st...

Showing a Null result
I have a parent table linked to several child tables via a unique text string The report shows reults from the main table, and has subreports for the child tables. Some records in the parent table have no equivalents in the child tables. Can I insert some code to produce the subreports with a "None" or "NA" text string, without populating the child tables with these terms? My problem is that, I need to run "counting" queries on the child tables, but the "N/A" records skew the numbers by adding records where there should be none. I'm not su...

mail box rights it only shows "SELF"
Once the user has been created, checking the Email address tab show nothing (empty), I pointing rus to the right DC, this solve that problem, but i have still have the next problem: under the mail box rights it only shows "SELF" where as all the other account show 8 or more system users? exchange 2003 Gr, Marco On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:10:27 -0800, "Marco" <Marco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Once the user has been created, checking the Email address tab show nothing >(empty), I pointing rus to the right DC, this solve that problem, but i have >...

Clear Data>Security Resource Description table not showing in list
GPv10 Logged in as sa. Go to Maint. >Clear Data>System and in the Tables list the Security Resource Description table is not there. Is there something I need to do to get access to that table? Thanks. Gi Never mind....I figured it out. You have to change the Display to Physical....Duh!! ...

Show Data Field After Hiding
I found a note from someone with the same question regarding reshowing data that was hidden after it was deselected from the drop-down list. And yes, it is easy enough to drag it back on from the field list, but if it involves anything more than just a sum or count, then you have to recreate it. For instance, my rows are years. One of my data fields I would like in the table twice - once as a sum and then again as % difference from previous year. The reason for wanting to hide one or the other, is I'm plotting this over time and would like to use the same chart. Since the scales are ob...

Dialog controls
Hello. What is the unit of measurement for the dimensions of dialog controls? I had assumed pixels, but I'm now doubtful. Thanks and regards. On 4 jul, 10:45, andrew.kend...@yahoo.co.uk wrote: > Hello. > > What is the unit of measurement for the dimensions of dialog controls? > I had assumed pixels, but I'm now doubtful. > > Thanks and regards. Certainly, the unit is not pixels, it's "dialog units". From Prosise's "Programming Windows with MFC": "Horizontally, one dialog box unit is equal to one-fourth the average width of a chara...

MDI Chile windows not setting Frame Caption Bar
Hello, I have created an Windows MDI application. When I open a document within this MDI frame, the caption bar of the MDI frame is only set if the child document is maximized. If I have more than 1 child documents, I have them tiled. I woulkd like the MDI frame caption to change to show the name of the active child document, but it simply appends a number to it's applicaiton name. ie. the applicaiton name is WinOm and when I select a child document, the MDI frame caption is set to WinOm - [WinOM1], WinOm - [WinOm2], etc. Can I set it so that the MDI frame caption is the applicati...