Remoting

Can I launch with some api an application in a remote pc that is connected
to the same lan?
If the answer is positive, can I supply also parameters?

Regards

Mark

0
mark1801 (4)
10/23/2007 6:50:03 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Overall, the simple answer is "no".  In fact, if you can do this, there is a security hole
in your network large enough to drive a freight train through.  Sideways.

However, you can create secure techniques that can allow this; creating the security is a
topic well beyond the scope we can discuss here, but what you have to do is create some
kind of server process that launches the program with appropriate security credentials.
Check places like www.codeproject.com.
					joe

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 08:50:03 +0200, "Mark" <mark@giron.com> wrote:

>Can I launch with some api an application in a remote pc that is connected
>to the same lan?
>If the answer is positive, can I supply also parameters?
>
>Regards
>
>Mark

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15979)

Frequent ExchSrvr restarts needed for remote users
Hello all – I have a mob of disenchanted users about to lynch me because of a problem that I cannot get to the bottom of. I recently migrated Exchange 5.5 to 2K3, consolidating three sites in the process. Now we have one Exchange Server at headquarters that hosts all mailboxes and public folders. The problem is with the users at the remote sites. Approximately every three business days, I have to restart the Exch Srvr, because over the space of a few hours, many users at the remotes sites are unable to connect to it. (“Trying to connect..” in the Outlook status bar). Only a resta...

Compacting remotely?
Hello All I have an access97 backend mdb, which I would like to compact/repair automatically overnight. Is it possible to leave a separate mdb open that would open the backend mdb, compact it, then close it again? I'm sure this can be done because I think I've read something about it somewhere: but I can't remember how - or where! Hope someone can help. Thanks Leslie Isaacs well you could schedule it with windows. take a look at Albert Kallal's solution here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/BatchJobs/Index.html change the code to compact the database... -- M...

Remote Active Sync
Hello, I just upgraded to Exchange 2003 Server and I have no idea how to setup Mobile Access. I would like to sync my pocket pc remotely. Does anyone know where I can get step by step instructions on how to do this? Thanks, Jose ...

Remoting
Can I launch with some api an application in a remote pc that is connected to the same lan? If the answer is positive, can I supply also parameters? Regards Mark Overall, the simple answer is "no". In fact, if you can do this, there is a security hole in your network large enough to drive a freight train through. Sideways. However, you can create secure techniques that can allow this; creating the security is a topic well beyond the scope we can discuss here, but what you have to do is create some kind of server process that launches the program with appropriate security cred...

remote connections
In SS2K , how to enable remote connections ? For example, from my machine, within SEM I'd like to create a "New SQL Server Registration" connection to that machine. This has always worked for me in the past, but today I've encountered an SS2K instance which gives me a "SQL Server does not exist or access denied. ConnectionOpen (Connect())" error. Does it matter if the target instance is configured as "Windows Authentication" vs "Mixed Mode" ? I'm attempting the "New SQL Server Registration" via Windows Authentication. I...

changing contents of a sheet remotely
Hi, I have a list of jobs on sheet1 col A contains the job number, Sheet2 is an invoice, i enter job numbers into col A and Vlookups operate in the other cols. When i enter a number into sheet2 i would like the row which contains this job number to have the date entered into col M so i can easily check if a job has been charged out. What is the command for this, will it have to be run as a macro? If i then go on to enter numbers in a list down to cell A38 on sheet 2 is the best way to write code to look at all the numbers at once and adjust sheet1 accordingly? Or input the job numbers via a...

Remote Office VPN Internet Access
Hi Have Remote Office (RO) PCs connected to Main Office (MO) (SBS 2003) via h/w router Site to Site VPN, on ADSL. Is it possible to route Internet traffic via the local router rather than using the SBS 2003 box for DNS. Objective is to reduce data traffic on the VPN. I am going to add 2nd ADSL line to split off and soley route the VoIP traffic usinng a static route. Or alternatively use a router with VPN trunking with QoS. However, if Internet traffic was kept 'local', the VPN would have more bandwidth for VoIP/files. -- Many Thanks Drew In article <6...

Remote Web Workplace / Remote Destop Web
I'm trying to set up remote desktop access for several of my key users . I found / enabled "TSWeb", however as far as I can see - and this is where I need some help - this only allows all users to access a specific computer within the LAN. I did make this work but there's really no advantage to running the web interface if it just connects to 1 computer. I next located the Remote Web Workplace that comes as part of SBS 2003. (I look after several networks, one of which uses SBS2003). This is the functionality I'm looking for however I am unable to make...

"Message delivery to the remote domain '<ISP SMTP server>' failed for the following reason: The connection was dropped by the remote host."
"Message delivery to the remote domain '<ISP SMTP server>' failed for the following reason: The connection was dropped by the remote host." For the past couple of weeks I have been getting the above message every 10-15 minutes on Exchange 2000 SP3, Windows 2000 SP4. The SMTP queue also clogs up for a while then suddenly clears out. I have asked our ISP to look at their end & they claim there are no problems. A while ago I had this problem & switching off 8 bit MIME appeared to work (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=262168). I have made no ...

Outlook 2003 Remote/Internet
Is it possible to have one profile for Outlook 2003 for both local and remote access to exchange? Remote meaning no VPN, but using the "Outlook over the Internet" functionality with HTTPS. If so, how? It should automatically use the same profile and credentials. What version of Exchange are you using? (Outlook Web Access is actually a component of Exchange, not Outlook - you would probably do better to ask in an Exchange group - probably Admin.) --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sen...

Entourage and remote connection
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange My company is using Exchange 2007 and the PCs are using Outlook 2007 (or 2010). <br> Outside connection from Outlook to Exchange is done using Microsoft ISA server and RPC over HTTPS (Outlook Anywhere using Exchange proxy) or OWA with RSA authentication (http://owa.server.com/exchange) <br> When connection from outside company network, does Entourage support RPC over HTTPS (like Outlook Anywhere) ? Or does it support using ExchangeWebServices through the OWA connection ? A...

Stupid Question: Remote Register for Shows
I'm having a lovely time trying to update the system at work to POS. The conversion has been put off time after time due to the store being busy. As it's a small retail shop, not a surprise, but it does make it difficult to accomplish much. Latest question to come up: We have a single regular register in the store. We also have a laptop that the boss takes to shows to sell with. For shows, it's possible that the boss will be away from the home store for over two weeks. Are we going to have trouble (ie revert to eval mode) when the laptop is away from the dongle for tha...

User access via remote desktop
I have a situation where if I set a new user up from a local client, they only can access GP via their local client - they get a login error if trying to login via remote desktop. Likewise, if I log into the server remotely and set up a new user, they can login to GP remotely but not from their local client. Any ideas why this would occur? Thx, Frank Hamelly, MCP NOVA Solutions LLC Melbourne, FL Do you have any profiles that would be affecting where a user is using files? I've seen this issue where one user's profile was different than other users'. -- Charles Allen, MVP ...

No e-mail in remote sites sometimes, but main location is fine.
About twice a week now, all of my three remote branch city sites will fail to allow Outlook clients to communicate with the Exchange Server, but the main HQ site works fine. It can happen out of the blue, and there are no entries in the Event Viewer after it happens. My only fix is to reboot the Exchange Server. I can ping the Exchange Server by name from the affected branch store PC's, and it comes back correctly, but will not allow e-mail. Internet, databases programs, and printers all work fine during this, showing that the networking is OK just not e-mail. Exchange 2003 Server on...

Remote Access
Has anyone set up a secure access to MSCRM over the internet? Pierre H Hi: If you're talking about the Outllok client you need to set a VPN connection to your network to connect to the CRM server. For teh IE GUI all you need is a browser and a connection... John. >-----Original Message----- >Has anyone set up a secure access to MSCRM over the internet? > >Pierre H > > >. > To make it secure, you can give it a certificate and run it over HTTPS. Mike "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31a401c3e1eb$c8a7cc30...

can only see local machine users when trying to add users allowed for remote desktop access
Hi, I have a windows 2003 server on my network(its actually a virtual machine running on windows server 2008), that I have enabled remote access to (via properties of 'My Pc/Remote') In the permission of the remote user tab, I can not find any domain users, if I try to change location it only allows me to see the local machine, and if i enter manually the domain\user name it always rejects it. I can see the entire network when I browse the network from file explorer and I can access shares on remotes machines with no problem, so I am on the network and authenticat...

restriction for remote web user/remote desktop user
Is there any settings on SBS03 that allows us to manage which user/computer/ip address can connect to SBS03 network from remote site, as we would like only certain users from certain computers be able to connect on certain time remotely. If it can not be done then what would be the solution. Thank you. Jack2 wrote: >Is there any settings on SBS03 that allows us to manage which >user/computer/ip address can connect to SBS03 network from remote site, as >we >would like only certain users from certain computers be able to connect on >certain time remotely. If it ...

Remote undelete?
Is there some undelete software that can run only locally and undelete from a mapped network ntfs disk without the aid of an client/agent installed/running on that remote computer? "mynick" <anglomont@yahoo.com> said this in news item news:e1814b36-2498-494b-b410-033fe8726fda@o28g2000yqh.googlegroups.com... > Is there some undelete software that can run only locally and undelete > from a mapped network ntfs disk without the aid of an client/agent > installed/running on that remote computer? I know of two options to delete a remote file: a) By deleting ...

Mobile Device
Hi, I was wandering how a remote device if it's stolen or lost is wiped using the remote Wipe command from the Mobile Admin interface. If the device isn't connected, how does it get the wipe command from the server? I'm assuming if the device is set to manual sync, and the device isn't being re-sync'd then it'll never get the remote wipe command? Is this right? Cheers On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:28:00 -0800, Deano <Deano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I was wandering how a remote device if it's stolen or lost is wiped using >the remo...

Remote access works but no internet browsing
Hi sbs 2003 standard. For some reason we can't access internet even though emails are being receive fine. Also remote access to server works fine too. Outputs of ipconfig/all and tracert www.google.com are given below. I was told by the other person that problem began after turning on the 'Allow management from the Internet' in the vigor draytek 2820vn router. I have turned off the management but no luck. What could be the problem? Thanks Regards C:\>ipconfig/all Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MYSERVER Primary...

Can't connect to remote computer with Remote Assistance
When trying to access my mother’s computer using Remote Assistance I receive the following message: ”A Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the DNS name of the remote computer could not be resolved.” Both computers are running Windows XP SP3 and McAfee Anti-virus software. Both computers firewalls are set to allow Remote Assistance full access along with port 3389 enabled. I even tried to edit her IP address in the invitation, using the IP address from her internet provider, with the same results. She is e-mailing me the invitation as an attachme...

Remote Billing
A customer has been using SOP for a number of years. They now want the salesmen to be able to enter invoices remotely. The solution will need to be a wireless one since they will be moving around from customer to customer. They would prefer to use Tablet PC's or some kind of hand held device since they are smaller than laptops. Can anyone recommend a solution? Are there any restrictions on the types of devices and operating systems that can place orders through eOrder? Can a device running Windows CE or Windows Tablet PC be used reliably with eOrder? Thanks "news.microsoft....

Remote Desktop
I want to log onto my office computer from home and be able to print output from my office computer's applications on my home printer. Is there an article I can look at that will tell me how to do that? The XP Pro HELP page suggests that I can do that, but not in explicit terms nor where to find "how to". Thanks, Bill "Bill" <billstanton@psln.com> wrote in message news:Ogru6#wNLHA.5732@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > I want to log onto my office computer from > home and be able to print output from my > office computer's applicati...

Remote access fails with Win 7
I installed a SBS 2008 server with remote access. I opened ports 1723 and 47 on the router/modem. Now using the default Windows VPN client I can VPN into the server with Windows XP but can NOT with Windows 7. With Windows 7 I get an “Error 800: The remote connection was not made because the VPN tunnels failed.” If someone knows how to resolve the Windows 7 problem I would be most appreciative. Also what ports or configuration should be made for a L2TP connection. Thank you so much for your help. Lonewizard do you have a third party firewall or are you blocking port 172...

SMTP Server Remote Queue Length alert???
I am getting these "critical alerts" as the W2k3 admin daily. The server also runs our Exchange Server 2003. I can't find any problem with the queue and all our emails are going out. Does anyone know what causes this? How do I find the queue to check it? And (most importantly) how do I correct this so called error? FYI - this is a new installation. Server has been up two weeks and messages began almost immediately. TIA! if youre not even sure where to find the queue, i recommend not playing around with the ESM. ask someone with the necessary experience, or get so...