Re: Where should be the best place to stored Applcation Data Files?

"Giovanni Dicanio" <gdicanio@_NOSPAM_email_DOT_it> ha scritto nel messaggio

> BTW: this post by John Robbins is very interesting reading:
> http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/default.aspx

copy-and-pasto - the correct link is this:

http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/2008/07/10/in-defense-of-vista-and-the-challenges-facing-windows-7.aspx

Giovanni

0
Giovanni
8/8/2008 4:50:23 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

And then there's this Vista security discussion from last Friday (cool
date, 8/8/8):

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/08/08/1155208

-GB

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 18:50:23 +0200, "Giovanni Dicanio"
<gdicanio@_NOSPAM_email_DOT_it> wrote:

>"Giovanni Dicanio" <gdicanio@_NOSPAM_email_DOT_it> ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> BTW: this post by John Robbins is very interesting reading:
>> http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/default.aspx
>
>copy-and-pasto - the correct link is this:
>
>http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/2008/07/10/in-defense-of-vista-and-the-challenges-facing-windows-7.aspx
>
>Giovanni

0
spamhater1 (35)
8/11/2008 5:48:26 PM
In article news:<sou0a4t8j6rebkm4bkhaijbba21rpvcjr7@4ax.com>, Geeky
Badger wrote:
> And then there's this Vista security discussion from last Friday (cool
> date, 8/8/8):
>
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/08/08/1155208

That makes interesting reading -- and it's not just about Vista, of
course, the attacks outlined there affect all versions of Windows. The
point about Vista, there, is that Vista contains a lot of new security
code that makes attacking it harder, but these attacks still work.

It all appears to hinge on the fact that some code can be placed in a
web page whence it will be downloaded and JIT-compiled on the user's
machine, and that this JIT-compiled code is not subject to the same
security checks that the OS normally applies to executable images.

Now, there is a reason why Java applets are interpreted and run in a
sandbox ... and it has to do with rendering this sort of attack
impossible. Anyone JIT-compiling untrusted code and running it in an
un-sandboxable environment is asking for trouble.

What is worrying is that JIT-compiling is apparently done with
javascript and with Flash content. A very persuasive argument for
turning off browser support for both of those, I would say.

Cheers,
 Daniel.

0
wastebasket (364)
8/12/2008 9:31:03 AM
....somehow, "I told you so" seems so smug.  But "I told you so".  I have been saying for
years that client-side scripting that runs without sandboxing is a fundamentally stupid
idea.  It's nice to be proven right.  Although the article says nothing new that I didn't
know at least seven years ago.

I disable all JavaVirus and ActiveVirus controls, did so years ago.
					joe

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:31:03 +0100, Daniel James <wastebasket@nospam.aaisp.org> wrote:

>In article news:<sou0a4t8j6rebkm4bkhaijbba21rpvcjr7@4ax.com>, Geeky
>Badger wrote:
>> And then there's this Vista security discussion from last Friday (cool
>> date, 8/8/8):
>>
>> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/08/08/1155208
>
>That makes interesting reading -- and it's not just about Vista, of
>course, the attacks outlined there affect all versions of Windows. The
>point about Vista, there, is that Vista contains a lot of new security
>code that makes attacking it harder, but these attacks still work.
>
>It all appears to hinge on the fact that some code can be placed in a
>web page whence it will be downloaded and JIT-compiled on the user's
>machine, and that this JIT-compiled code is not subject to the same
>security checks that the OS normally applies to executable images.
>
>Now, there is a reason why Java applets are interpreted and run in a
>sandbox ... and it has to do with rendering this sort of attack
>impossible. Anyone JIT-compiling untrusted code and running it in an
>un-sandboxable environment is asking for trouble.
>
>What is worrying is that JIT-compiling is apparently done with
>javascript and with Flash content. A very persuasive argument for
>turning off browser support for both of those, I would say.
>
>Cheers,
> Daniel.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15979)
8/17/2008 1:56:30 AM
In article news:<v31fa411ovrho9latpne2uqenjs98474p6@4ax.com>, Joseph M.
Newcomer wrote:
> ....somehow, "I told you so" seems so smug.  But "I told you so".
> I have been saying for years that client-side scripting that runs
> without sandboxing is a fundamentally stupid idea.

I know, Joe. So have I.

I was just making the point, again, in the light of these new findings.

> It's nice to be proven right.  Although the article says nothing
> new that I didn't know at least seven years ago.
>
> I disable all JavaVirus and ActiveVirus controls, did so years ago.

What the article says that is important is that what we all knew seven
years ago (or more?) is *still* true, despite all the noise people have
been making about XP and Vista doing terribly clever things to make
these inherently unsafe technologies somehow magically acceptable.

JavaVirus (as you so poignantly name it -- and I'm not sure whether you
mean Java itself or JavaScript) is not quite as bad as the others
because it/they can be sandboxed effectively (whether they are is
another matter) ... what the recent paper shows is that there is no
effective protection against the subversion of those technologies that
run native code within a browser (be it precompiled as in ActiveX or
JIT compiled as in .net objects).

ActiveVirus -- and let's not forget FlashVirus while we're at it -- are
so deeply and fundamentally flawed from a security perspective that it
should a crime to use them in any public-facing site.

Your Mr.Obama (I'm in the UK, so he's not my Mr.Obama) suddenly seems
very keen on internet security ... I wonder whether we can persuade him
to do something about that if/when he gets the chance?

I hope you enjoyed your recent break.

Cheers,
 Daniel.

0
wastebasket (364)

Data Migration #4
Hi, i can't migrate from sage line 50 into GP 10.o -- Microsoft Dyanmics GP 10 TBash: Did you have a question or just wanted to make that comment? Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com i am asking for solutions on Migration from third party products to GP (Sage Line50,Line 500, Peachtree and Simply Accounting) -- Microsoft Dyanmics GP 10 "Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP" wrote: > TBash: > > Did you have a question or just wanted to make that comment? > > Frank Hamelly > MCP-GP, MCT > East Coast Dynamics > www.eastcoast-...

Storing Credit Card Inormation
I am on the prowl for a well designed addon for RMS 2.0 that allows the users to store their customer's credit card information so they are able to recharge their customers credit cards on a monthey basis or whenever they need to depending on the business. does any body know of a PCI Compliant addon that will allow for this? This seems to be a tool that customer's regularly ask me about and I sadly have to tell them that it is not available. Please advice me if you know differnent. Thanks in advance. -Andy Miller Andy, We are in the final stages of testing such a tool. If yo...

Sql Server 2005. Best configuration and parameters.
Hi, We have a website (.NET 2.0 on IIS 6.0) and a Sql Server 2005 (9.0.4035) running on the same machine, a Windows Server 2003 R2 Service Pack 2 with 8 GB RAM (Xeon E5405 2 Ghz). The website works with stored procedures. And max 20 users at the same time. We are wondering the best following parameters for this particular configuration... So, we have 2 questions: Firstable, what is the best configuration for the 8 processors (0 --> 7) for the processor affinity and the I/O affinity ? Today we have: Id Proc Proc Affinity I/O Afiinity 0 1 ...

No blank lines in text files #2
When opening a comma delimitted file, I don't get blank lines anymore. In Excel 2000, if a line in the text file was empty I would get an empty row in the new spreadsheet. Now all non-blank rows are jambed together in one column! How do I get Excell2003 to opoen Comma Delimitted files properly (including empty lines?) Oops, managed to send the same question twice! How can one delete a subject? "Charlie Gotwald" wrote: > When opening a comma delimitted file, I don't get blank lines anymore. In > Excel 2000, if a line in the text file was empty I would get an empt...

I want to buy the best book of office 2003
Hi. I want to buy the best book of office 2003, what is the name of it? Marco Hi, Marco. > I want to buy the best book of office 2003, what is the name of it? "The Best Book of Office 2003." (Just kidding!) "Best" is subjective. Check out former Access MVP Jeff Conrad's lists of recommended books and find the ones for Access 2003, then go to your bookstore and look at each one to see if it's "for you" -- and your learning style. http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html#Books Notice that these books are all Access databas...

Re-arranging table using pivot-table?

Defragmenting information store on Exchange 2000
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C41CDC.6A5F2660 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1250" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello Since this is the first time for me doing defragmentation, have a few = questions if you're so kind ... Our company Exchange 2000 Server is running out of disk space. The = priv.stm is 6 GB and priv.edb is 4 GB size.=20 Free space on drive is 4 GB. Is that enough to run eseutil to defragment = the database? Are there any 'tricks' that I must be aware of ? And = approximately how lo...

Re-install Outlook 2002

Macro referencing data validation doesn't work

Create Batch file for laptops to copy templates
Hi Everyone, I am new to batch file programming and need an expert help to find out something. I want to create a batch file that runs at login and compares a local copy of the templates to what we have on the network. We have templates on a mapped network drive in h:\clients\templates, and on the laptop in c:\apps\data\clients\templates. When the laptop is offline it substitutes c:\apps\data to appear as h: drive, that way the files appear to be in h:\clients\templates. Here’s the basic steps what I need the batch file for: 1. first it checks to see if the computer is on th...

Cell formatting when importing data
When I import data from a delimited file into Excel 2000, even though I have pre-formatted a column as text, entries such as 12-5 and 1-4 -- which are not dates display as dates. When I reapply the text formatting I get a number: 38691. How can I get 12-5 to display as is when I bring the data in? Rename the file to *.txt and use the text import wizard, just click next twice and in step 3 select text from column data format for this particular column and click finish -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "cjay" <cjay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90AAB750-BF9F...

Re-Enable CRM User

Excel Icon for files
I am running Windows 2000 professional on my PC and connected to a LAN. I am running the MS office 2000 Professional suite. When, I save a worksheet from Exel 2000 it does not save the file with the common Excel file Icon(green X). The file is displayed with the default Windows Flag Icon. When I double click on this default Windows Flag Icon the system tries to open the file with Word not Excel. Word and PowerPoint both save with their common Icons. The Excel program saved fine a couple of weeks ago. I have not installed any new software and our server takes care of Virus protection thro...

RE:Excel will not open from a web link

I need a macro to find cut and paste data to new cell
I have data that I have exported to excel that I need to reformat to be able to create a pivot table to check for duplicate entries. On importing the data which is in the form of journal entries the memo line is stting above the journal numbers in column D. I need to find all of the comments and cut and paste them to column C. The comments are not all the same but do contain the same word "To" in the comment. The journals are not all the same size and so the comment line does not appear at regular intervals. Any help appreciated as I am very new to VBA ...

How do i change my file from a 2003 office doument to a 2000 docu.
i have done this before with a word document but i dont seem to be able to figure out how to do it with a publisher document.... can anybody help?? File, save as, files of type, expand the menu to Publisher 2000. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "me" <me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E89A2FF9-20DD-4568-980F-73162AE7AB8A@microsoft.com... >i have done this before with a word document but i dont seem to be able to > figure out how to do it with a publisher document.... can anybody he...

Vlookups to Excel Version 3 files.
I use a system that on a daily basis creates an Excel version 3 file containing cost centers and their budgets. When I do vlookups from other Excel 97 files to this file it takes a long time for the sheet to calculate. If I save the Excel V3 file as Excel 97 its OK, and if the Excel V3 file is open before the 97 file its OK. I don't want to have to constantly save the V3 file as 97 (I may not be around to do that always) Does anyone know how to resolve this. Thanks Naz ...

Re: exmerge error

HQ and Store Collation
Hi there, we have a serious issue here. I upgraded several shops accross europe to V1.3.1006 and SQL Server 2005. I used the 1.3 refresh for that. In germany and the netherlands everything went fine and we can use the HQ Client to send the data to the german and dutch HQ databases. In France, Switzerland and Spain however the HQClient stops in the middle of the WS 250 saying that the database collations are different although i checked both collations and they are the same (as far as Store Op Admin, HQ Admin and Server Management Studio says). Any ideas? Chris You may have the correct c...

Linking Table Data by Form Actions
I have a form that contains record number information and alittle bit of data based on this record number. Each "record number" is linked to a couples information. This couples information is things like name, address, city, etc. When I'm on the first form, we'll call "Protocol_Index", I hand type a protocol number to designate this unique record. Once I've placed this protocol number in the "Protocol_Index" form, there's a button that takes me to another form, we'll call "Couple_Index". Once I get to the "Couple_Index...

Register a file extension
I would like to allow my users to register my apps file extension from within the app. I have managed to register the extension but the description isn't being shown in explorer on xp or 7, I can not also get the icon to display. Below is the code I found on the internet: Private Declare Function RegCreateKey Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "RegCreateKeyA" (ByVal hKey As Long, ByVal lpSubKey As String, phkResult As Long) As Long Private Declare Function RegSetValue Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "RegSetValueA" (ByVal hKey As Long, ByVal lpSubKey ...

LIST option missing in DATA Menu
A user has the LIST option missing in the DATA submenu of Excel 2003. What would cause this and how do I help her correct it -- cccgsmit ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cccgsmith's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1524 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26873 Perhaps she has short menus enabled. To change this -- Choose Tools>Customize Select the Options tab Add a check mark to 'Always show full menus' Click OK Or, to use short menus, and see commands that haven&...

Transfer files from money 99 to money 2003
We have a new computer with money 2003, old computer has our records in money 99. We tried to import export but the records to not come across correctly. What should we d???? You shouldn't have to export or import. Just move across your .MNY data file and open it with the newer version. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=68. "Michelle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1351501c419bd$2899add0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > We have a new computer with money 2003, old computer has > our records in money 99. We tried to import export but > the...