Problems with printing

Dear all

I have an application, which has been working without problems for the last
7 years. The application has some printing capabilities. Now, we have just
gotten a new printer (HP Laserjet CM4370), and when I try to print, my
application crashes.

The app crashes in the print setup dialog even before I press OK. If I
select any other printer as default printer, the app doesn't crash. Then I
can show the print setup dialog without problems. But then, when I select
the CM4370, the app crashes again, even if I do not press OK.

Even if I choose to not show the print setup dialog, and just print
directly, the app crashes.

So, it sounds like a problem with the printer driver. The problem is,
however, that all other apps can print without problems, both our own apps
and all commercial apps, that I have tried.

So I have been trying to figure out, what distingueshes this one app of our
own from all the other. The only thing I can think of, is that this app
uses OLE DB for database access, while our other apps use DAO. Can this
have any impact?

When I compile my program, I get a warning saying "More than one global
threading model defined". Can this cause problems? And if so, how do I
correct it, so I only have one threading model?

I am really out of ideas, and I cannot really debug my program. When the
app crashes, it has jumpes to some illegal address, but it's the same
address every time (0x1B009B78).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Bjarne Nielsen
0
bnielsen (6)
3/14/2008 10:47:10 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

You might consider using the App Verifier to see if there is memory damage that is causing
this to fail, or if it is causing memory damage; this damage could be causing the problem,
which was previously unnoticed.

You need to report the problem to HP.  I have a lot of problems with HP's software, so I
don't buy HP equipment any longer.
					joe

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:47:10 +0100, Bjarne Nielsen <bnielsen@post11.tele.dk> wrote:

>Dear all
>
>I have an application, which has been working without problems for the last
>7 years. The application has some printing capabilities. Now, we have just
>gotten a new printer (HP Laserjet CM4370), and when I try to print, my
>application crashes.
>
>The app crashes in the print setup dialog even before I press OK. If I
>select any other printer as default printer, the app doesn't crash. Then I
>can show the print setup dialog without problems. But then, when I select
>the CM4370, the app crashes again, even if I do not press OK.
>
>Even if I choose to not show the print setup dialog, and just print
>directly, the app crashes.
>

>So, it sounds like a problem with the printer driver. The problem is,
>however, that all other apps can print without problems, both our own apps
>and all commercial apps, that I have tried.
>
>So I have been trying to figure out, what distingueshes this one app of our
>own from all the other. The only thing I can think of, is that this app
>uses OLE DB for database access, while our other apps use DAO. Can this
>have any impact?
>
>When I compile my program, I get a warning saying "More than one global
>threading model defined". Can this cause problems? And if so, how do I
>correct it, so I only have one threading model?
>
>I am really out of ideas, and I cannot really debug my program. When the
>app crashes, it has jumpes to some illegal address, but it's the same
>address every time (0x1B009B78).
>
>Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
>Cheers
>Bjarne Nielsen
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15977)
3/14/2008 3:34:49 PM
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:47:10 +0100, Bjarne Nielsen
<bnielsen@post11.tele.dk> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I have an application, which has been working without problems for the last
> 7 years. The application has some printing capabilities. Now, we have just
> gotten a new printer (HP Laserjet CM4370), and when I try to print, my
> application crashes.
>
> When I compile my program, I get a warning saying "More than one global
> threading model defined". Can this cause problems? And if so, how do I
> correct it, so I only have one threading model?

This sounds like the problem, if the device driver is a dll which you
load and is compiled with other run-time then your app -when you then
pass heap allocated data between dll and app you can get crashes.  Try
figuring out what switches were used for compiling the printer driver
- maybe you can get that info from HP if not from the driver itself.

hth/Anders.
--
A: People bitching about top-posting

> Q: What's the most annoying thing on USENET?
0
anders43 (7)
3/15/2008 11:05:26 AM
On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:05:26 +0800, Anders Karlsson wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:47:10 +0100, Bjarne Nielsen
> <bnielsen@post11.tele.dk> wrote:
>
>> Dear all
>>
>> I have an application, which has been working without problems for the last
>> 7 years. The application has some printing capabilities. Now, we have just
>> gotten a new printer (HP Laserjet CM4370), and when I try to print, my
>> application crashes.
>>
>> When I compile my program, I get a warning saying "More than one global
>> threading model defined". Can this cause problems? And if so, how do I
>> correct it, so I only have one threading model?
>
> This sounds like the problem, if the device driver is a dll which you
> load and is compiled with other run-time then your app -when you then
> pass heap allocated data between dll and app you can get crashes.  Try
> figuring out what switches were used for compiling the printer driver
> - maybe you can get that info from HP if not from the driver itself.
>
> hth/Anders.

Thanks for the suggestions Anders and Joe.

I found the problem, or at least I made the problem go away. I had a
feeling it had something to do with OLE DB as that is the only thing I
could find, that differentiates this one app from all the others. OLE DB
uses ATL, and in the app there was this machine generated code:

#if _WIN32_WINNT >= 0x0400
	HRESULT hRes = CoInitializeEx(NULL, COINIT_MULTITHREADED);
#else
	HRESULT hRes = CoInitialize(NULL);
#endif

I changed it to:
#if _WIN32_WINNT >= 0x0400
	HRESULT hRes = CoInitializeEx(NULL, COINIT_APARTMENTTHREADED);
#else
	HRESULT hRes = CoInitialize(NULL);
#endif

and the problem went away. I'm not really sure what is going on, I am not
much of an ATL or COM guru, but it seems to have solved the problem, so I'm
happy. Just don't hope, it causes any other problems.

Cheers
Bjarne Nielsen
0
bnielsen (6)

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Updated KB: Thin Line Appears and Is Printed Outside Object with Border and Fill Applied
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290911 -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.mvps.org/publisher This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

Problem with Authentication

calendar problem

problem #4

Report Writer Logo Printing
I remember a software being recommended that was a pass-through printer software that would allow printing of higher-quality logos. It is a workaround for people that did not find the logo printing of RW suitable. I cannot think of the name or find the software. A nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike Found it! Software is called fineprint. It was mentioned on Musgraves blog. http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2008/07/17/company-logos-on-reports.aspx "Mike" wrote: > I remember a software being recommended that was a pass-thr...

Automatic printing of sent messages.
Can Outlook 2000 be set-up to automatically print a message immediately after having hit the "send" button? or Can a "Send and Print" button be set up? I'm probable not the only grunt that has to print a hard copy of all outgoing e-mails to be maintained in a physical file folder. To make matters worse, bosses cc: me so that I can print out and file their messages too. Thanks >-----Original Message----- >Can Outlook 2000 be set-up to automatically print a >message immediately after having hit the "send" button? or >Can a "Send a...

95 and 97 problem

Date problem

sync problems

change chart print size
I cannot change the size of the printed chart in office 2007. In 2003 it was done using un selecting the "fit to page" button. In 2007 I have a "scale to 100%" but disabled... Thanks Hi, When you say you are clicking the Fit to Page button do you mean the Option button on the first sheet of the Page Setup dialog box? If so this option is still available in 2007. Set the print range and then choose the Page Layout tab. Open the Width dropdown or the Height dropdown and choose the number of pages. If this is not enough there is a little dialog box launcher at the b...

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

Report printing block
Problem: I can't print reports. The "print report" button does not work. The print set up button will allow me to change set up for checks but will not pop up for "reports". I suspect that it is blocked by some popup blocker software that I installed and since uninstalled. I tried re-loading the 2003 Money software with no change in result. Does anybody know how to unblock a pop up menue. Or, is this not the problem. Please help. Thanks ...

outlook web access redirect problem

Problem after sorting

IF AND problem