Problems Updating to Visual Studio 2008

I've previously used Visual C++ 4 and have now updated to Visual Studio
2008.

In Visual C++ 4, I used the Class Wizard with its five tabs: Message Maps,
Member Variables, OLE Automation, OLE Events, and Class Info to define an
application.

This structure doesn't seem to exist in Visual Studio 2008.

Can anyone explain, or point me to information about, how I can get to the
same functionality in Visual Studio 2008?

I'd also welcome any suggestions for a book I might purchase that explains
how to use Visual C++ as implemented in Visual Studio 2008.

Gordon P

0
gpadwick (21)
9/28/2008 3:09:49 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Gordon Padwick" <gpadwick@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I've previously used Visual C++ 4 and have now updated to Visual Studio
> 2008.
>
> In Visual C++ 4, I used the Class Wizard with its five tabs: Message Maps,
> Member Variables, OLE Automation, OLE Events, and Class Info to define an
> application.
>
> This structure doesn't seem to exist in Visual Studio 2008.
>
> Can anyone explain, or point me to information about, how I can get to the
> same functionality in Visual Studio 2008?
>
> I'd also welcome any suggestions for a book I might purchase that explains
> how to use Visual C++ as implemented in Visual Studio 2008.
>
> Gordon P

Wow, VC++ 4 !!

For dialogs, right click on your dialog template and select Properties.  For
controls, do the same on the control.  The Properties pane is where you set
all the styles, options, etc. for dialogs and controls.

To create variables and message handlers for controls right click on the
control (on the dialog template).  To create window message handlers use the
icons at the top of the Properties pane.  To get the desired window in the
Properties pane you first select the window's class in the class view tree,
right click Properties, then investigate the icons for Events, Messages and
Overrides in the Properties pane.

Yes, it's an enormous step backwards compared with the old Class Wizard.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
Scott
9/28/2008 3:38:12 AM
Thanks for your fast response.I'll follow your suggestions.

Gordon P

"Scott McPhillips [MVP]" <org-dot-mvps-at-scottmcp> wrote in message
> "Gordon Padwick" <gpadwick@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I've previously used Visual C++ 4 and have now updated to Visual Studio
>> 2008.
>>
>> In Visual C++ 4, I used the Class Wizard with its five tabs: Message
>> Maps, Member Variables, OLE Automation, OLE Events, and Class Info to
>> define an application.
>>
>> This structure doesn't seem to exist in Visual Studio 2008.
>>
>> Can anyone explain, or point me to information about, how I can get to
>> the same functionality in Visual Studio 2008?
>>
>> I'd also welcome any suggestions for a book I might purchase that
>> explains how to use Visual C++ as implemented in Visual Studio 2008.
>>
>> Gordon P
>

> Wow, VC++ 4 !!
>
> For dialogs, right click on your dialog template and select Properties.
> For controls, do the same on the control.  The Properties pane is where
> you set all the styles, options, etc. for dialogs and controls.
>
> To create variables and message handlers for controls right click on the
> control (on the dialog template).  To create window message handlers use
> the icons at the top of the Properties pane.  To get the desired window in
> the Properties pane you first select the window's class in the class view
> tree, right click Properties, then investigate the icons for Events,
> Messages and Overrides in the Properties pane.
>
> Yes, it's an enormous step backwards compared with the old Class Wizard.
>
> --
> Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
gpadwick (21)
9/28/2008 3:56:32 AM
Welcome to the New And Improved World.  For some value of improved.  Makes you wonder what
the designer who created this was smoking, since there seems to have been no connection
with any form of programming reality the rest of us see.

It is a real pain to use.  We get promises about the next version, which I hope are going
to be realized.

(Perhaps this is a usage of the word "improved" of which I have been previously unaware).

Properties seem to have replaced some but not all of the functionality, and sometimes they
actually work.
					joe

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:09:49 -0700, "Gordon Padwick" <gpadwick@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I've previously used Visual C++ 4 and have now updated to Visual Studio
>2008.
>
>In Visual C++ 4, I used the Class Wizard with its five tabs: Message Maps,
>Member Variables, OLE Automation, OLE Events, and Class Info to define an
>application.
>
>This structure doesn't seem to exist in Visual Studio 2008.
>
>Can anyone explain, or point me to information about, how I can get to the
>same functionality in Visual Studio 2008?
>
>I'd also welcome any suggestions for a book I might purchase that explains
>how to use Visual C++ as implemented in Visual Studio 2008.
>
>Gordon P
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15979)
9/28/2008 5:49:00 AM
If you are in the source code window and have the properties window visible
somewhere, I find I can consistently
get the Events, Messages and Overrides buttons to become visible and enabled
in the properties window by clicking inside of the Message Map section.

BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP
Click here.
END_MESSAGE_MAP

This is the ONLY way I've found to enable those buttons when in source code
view.  But, it seems to work consistently.
Leo V.

"Gordon Padwick" <gpadwick@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I've previously used Visual C++ 4 and have now updated to Visual Studio
> 2008.
>
> In Visual C++ 4, I used the Class Wizard with its five tabs: Message Maps,
> Member Variables, OLE Automation, OLE Events, and Class Info to define an
> application.
>
> This structure doesn't seem to exist in Visual Studio 2008.
>
> Can anyone explain, or point me to information about, how I can get to the
> same functionality in Visual Studio 2008?
>
> I'd also welcome any suggestions for a book I might purchase that explains
> how to use Visual C++ as implemented in Visual Studio 2008.
>
> Gordon P

0
lviolette (38)

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Problem with Authentication

Updated KB: Thin Line Appears and Is Printed Outside Object with Border and Fill Applied
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290911 -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.mvps.org/publisher This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

calendar problem

problem #4

95 and 97 problem

Subtotal doesn't update
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi, I have a spreadsheet with subtotals on and we have a problem inserting new rows. I thought that when a row was inserted above the subtotal row, the subtotal would update automatically - but it doesn't. Basically, we need to add news rows on a regular basis above the subtotal row and update the subtotal. This is what we want to happen - Before 2 3 4 0 2 5 2 2 0 4 7 9 (Subtotal) After 2 3 4 0 2 5 2 2 0 0 0 2 (new row) 4 7 11 (Subtotal) Hope this makes sense! How can we get the subtotals to update e...

Date problem

sync problems

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

outlook web access redirect problem

Problem after sorting

IF AND problem

Problem SHAppBarMessage
Hi, I am creating an application bar which shall be displayed always at the top of the screen to show the user certain alerts. I am using the commands SHAppBarMessage(ABM_NEW, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_QUERYPOS, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_SETPOS, &abd); SetWindowPos(NULL, abd.rc.left, abd.rc.top, abd.rc.right - abd.rc.left, iClientHeight, SWP_NOACTIVATE); Works fine. The problem begins, when I start moving the taskbar. I am catching the event OnSettingChange and my application bar is resizing/moving correctly. BUT: If the taskbar moves to the top and my application bar ...

Chase Auto Loan not updated
I've had a Chase credit card for a while now and I use online updates in Money Plus Deluxe to update the register. When I took out a Chase auto loan this spring, Money automatically added an account for it. But it doesn't list it as a loan and it shows the balance as positive, not a negative or owed balance. It only shows the original loan balance and none of my payments ever show-up in the register. If I try to delete the account it says it has to delete both the auto loan and credit card account. I can't get rid of just one. How can I fix the account so that it functions correctl...

Lookup() problem
I set up two lists, 200 employees names and 200 employee numbers. A couple of the numbers match the correct names but the rest of the numbers all pull the same employee name. =LOOKUP(C4,List!C4:C204,List!B4:B204) The first time I tried it seemed to pull the correct matching names and numbers then kabui it gets stuck. I tried deleting the entire lists cells and all and starting over but same thing. Anyone ever run into this before? Wayman Don't forget! When using Lookup(), the vector (second argument) must be sorted in ascending order. If it's not, you'll get what you ca...