Problem with creating user-only Start menu shortcuts in Vista

I have a problem which shows only on Windows Vista (Business Edition).
I try to create programmatically (by using a well described method
involving IShellLink and IPersistFile interfaces, and the appropriate
interface methods) a sub-folder and several shortcuts for an
individual user in the <Start menu/Programs> folder , but the
shortcuts 'mysteriously' end up in the all users <Start menu/Programs>
folder. To be more precise, the shortcuts should be created in:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
\Programs
\ProductName\

but instead they end up in:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ProductName\.

Any help or pointers to info that might help is very much welcome.

Thanks in advance
Sasho

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Have you tried some of these to see if they fail as well::

http://www.codeproject.com/shell/CShortcut.asp?df=100&forumid=44594&exp=0&select=1086314
http://www.codeproject.com/shell/UtilShortcuts.asp

If so then perhaps there is a difference, or it could be that you're doing
something (for example using a special folder) that changed on Vista and
there may be a better one to use.  Could you post the part of the code where
you identifying the folder (CLSID).

Thanks,

Tom

"s_mateski" <sasko.mateski@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a problem which shows only on Windows Vista (Business Edition).
> I try to create programmatically (by using a well described method
> involving IShellLink and IPersistFile interfaces, and the appropriate
> interface methods) a sub-folder and several shortcuts for an
> individual user in the <Start menu/Programs> folder , but the
> shortcuts 'mysteriously' end up in the all users <Start menu/Programs>
> folder. To be more precise, the shortcuts should be created in:
>
> C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
> \Programs
> \ProductName\
>
> but instead they end up in:
>
> C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ProductName\.
>
> Any help or pointers to info that might help is very much welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Sasho

0
tom.nospam (3240)
3/20/2007 3:05:11 PM
On Mar 20, 4:05 pm, "Tom Serface" <tom.nos...@camaswood.com> wrote:
> Have you tried some of these to see if they fail as well::
>
> http://www.codeproject.com/shell/CShortcut.asp?df=100&forumid=44594&e...http://www.codeproject.com/shell/UtilShortcuts.asp
>
> If so then perhaps there is a difference, or it could be that you're doing
> something (for example using a special folder) that changed on Vista and
> there may be a better one to use.  Could you post the part of the code where
> you identifying the folder (CLSID).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Yes, I've seen those Code Project examples. And the code identifying
the special folder (in this case CSIDL_PROGRAMS) is correct, since it
works on Win 2000 and XP, and is simple. Actually I can see that the
path given to the Save method of IPersistFile (by which the shortcut
is saved) is the correct one, but the implementation of the method (or
some other Windows component) is deciding to redirect this save to a
different folder.
So there must be a difference between previous versions behavior and
Vista, but I can not find any specific info on the cause of that.

What is more confusing, if I try to create a shortcut in the
CSIDL_PROGRAMS folder then it's ok, but if the shortcut is created in
a sub-folder of CSIDL_PROGRAMS  (for example CSIDL_PROGRAMS
\SomeProductName, which on Vista will become:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
\SomeProductName\)

than the shortcut is 'mysteriously' created in the all users <Start
menu/Programs/SomeProductName> folder (actually:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ProductName\).

Perhaps I should note that the program I'm talking about is a VB6
application (together with a C++ dll which implements the shortcut
creating method) which actually functions as setup, and is recognized
by Vista as a setup (by some heuristic the OS is using in the security
subsystem).

Thanks,
Sasho
..

Problem shortcuts in Word

I want to expose Action menu items as form buttons
I'm trying to expose Action menu items as form buttons by customizing the _recources/ISV.Config file. I'm trying to use the following code: <incident> <ToolBar ValidForCreate="0" ValidForUpdate="1"> <Button Title="Resolve Case" ToolTip="Resolve this case" Icon="/_imgs/ico_18_serviceReports.gif" Url="http://localhost/CS/cases/dlg_closecase.aspx" PassParams="1" WinParams="" WinMode="0"/> </ToolBar> </incident> It throws an error, so I can only assume that I'...

Outlook 2003 PST problems

How do I link data workbooks to a create a graph?
I am attempting to take workbooks from the last 4 months, each with a daily data sheet, and link Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, etc. to time of day and staffing levels. I want the final result to be charts that show the relationship between staffing levels, incoming call volume, and time of day. hi Andrea, Many things are possible in Excel & I'd say that you could probably find a way of linking all the workbooks. However, I think any "easier" approach would involve opening each file & copying the data from each sheet in each file to a single sheet in one file (with...

Problem with Authentication

calendar problem

Create a Variable from First 4-5 chars of a existing value ??
In a current table, the values in a particular field are all items like: MD45 Tuesday PM or TX341 Friday AM or FL12 Monday PM ...in other words...2 parts seperated by a space. The first part is always a State Abbrv. followed by either a 2 or 3 char. number. That first part will always be 4-5 characters long (or...everthing before the first Space). I'm needing to create a varible that is the First Part of the existing value.. ..in other words...the variable would need to be (from the above examples)... MD45 or TX341 or FL12 I'm kind of familiar with LEFT command. Would usin...

problem #4

Money 2006 not starting after signing process
Since yesterday (08-24-06) I am unbale to get into my Money 2006; it starts and asks for my e-mail and password in the 'Sign in to open your Money file' but after this a 'Microsoft Money Error Reporting' message shows stating an internal error and will have to restart the 'Error signature' shows: "AppName: msmoney.exe AppVer: 15.0.0.513 ModName: unknown ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00000000" and a techical information file (C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\fdr2168.fdr) about the error report can be viewed. I will appreciate your help.... I need to check and p...

95 and 97 problem

Can not Create cases
I'm having a problem creating cases. Everytime I try to create a new case I get the message Duplicate Record. A record of this type with this name already exists. Please choose a different name and try again. No what I use for the account, title or subject. Even Log Error Category: None Event ID 3 Description MSCRM Platform Error Report: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------- Error: The statement has been terminated. Error Message: The statement has been terminated. Error Details: Details on this error have not be...

Can an activity be created and managed by a Team Member?
Hello, I was thinking that TM where allowed to create and manage activities because in the Security Team Member Group the “Create New Proposal or Activity” box is checked. But when trying it, a problem occurred. They are allowed to fill the Summary Information for a new activity, but after clicking on the save button, nothing appear in the Proposal and Actities view, neither in the project Center. Looking at it from an administrator account the activities do exist but are not visible for the TM who created them. So what’s the problem? ...

Date problem

sync problems

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Extender-Create a new data entry window
Is it possible to create a new extender form or window (not sure of the terminology) to enter data into Dynamics? Specifically the Sales Forecast Window in Manufacturing is terrible for entering data, everytime you move to the right, it the scrolling window jumps back to the top and you have to find the item again. Anyway, I would like a new window to enter a sales forecast, is this possible? thanks -- Doug Unfortunately Extender data is stored in Extender tables and cannot be stored in the Sales Forecast tables. I agree with you that the data entry screen is horrible. I am tal...

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Any way to view users passwords in server 2003 AD ?
Is there any way to view users passwords in Server 2003 AD ? We run a server 2003 SP2 domain, us Administrators have a list of all users password on a spreadsheet, locked up. We need their passwords in the event we must sign onto their computers as an admin while they are away, we log back into the computer with their user name/password when done. You would be surprised how many people "do not" look at the user name when they log on - we had panic --- I can not log in, we go to their desktop and the user name is that of one of the administrators - user did not look. ...

Cell Format