Problem printing a bitmap

I'm attempting to print a page of labels from a dialog printing a logo on
each label along with some text. The bitmap for the logo is much larger than
I need so I use StretchBlt to shrink it to size for printing. This worked
fine thru much of my testing but now it no longer prints the logo for some
reason and I can't seem to figure out why.

Prior to beginning the label print I load the bitmap with the following
code:

    bResult = m_cBitmapLogo.LoadBitmap (IDB_LOGO_1);
    m_cBitmapLogo.GetBitmap (&m_bmLogo);

Then a function is called from within a loop to print each label. The code
to print the bitmap is:

    dcBitmap.CreateCompatibleDC (&m_cDC);
    pcBitmapOld = dcBitmap.SelectObject (&m_cBitmapLogo);
    bResult = m_cDC.StretchBlt (iXCoord, iYCoord, 360, 90,
                                                 &dcBitmap,
                                                 0, 0, m_bmLogo.bmWidth,
m_bmLogo.bmHeight,
                                                 SRCCOPY);
    dcBitmap.SelectObject (pcBitmapOld);

m_bmLogo.bmWidth = 2919 and m_bmLogo.bmHeight = 777. On a simple test run to
create only 3 labels iYCoord always = 173 and iXCoord contains 28, 842, and
1682 on successive iterations. In all cases LoadBitmap and StretchBlt return
1 indicating that they worked properly but the bitmap does not print.

I've tried it with several smaller bitmaps created for testing purposes
using the VS bitmap editor but nothing ever printed except for this bitmap
(IDB_LOGO_1) and now it has also stopped working.

Can anyone shed any light on this or give me some ideas on how to go about
troubleshooting this problem? My time is running out. I have to be able to
produce these labels within just a few more days and I getting a little
desperate.

Thanks in advance.
Jim Worden

0
jbworden (4)
12/30/2003 5:58:22 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi Jim

Thanks for you posting in the group!

> dcBitmap.CreateCompatibleDC (&m_cDC);

What is the m_cDC, is it initialized by ClientDC m_cDC(this);

> bResult = m_cDC.StretchBlt (iXCoord, iYCoord, 360, 90,
>       &dcBitmap, 0, 0, m_bmLogo.bmWidth,
>       m_bmLogo.bmHeight,  SRCCOPY);

I think you should use a PrtDC that pointer to your printer instead of the
original m_cDC.

For more detail information on this topic, please refer to the following
links:
Print Bitmaps without Doc/View Framework
http://www.codeproject.com/printing/general.asp?target=BITMAP%7CPrint

Printing tips and tricks from the trenches
http://www.codeproject.com/printing/printingtricksandtips.asp?target=BITMAP%
7CPrint

Printing a Document
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gdi/prntspo
l_2ik4.asp

Best regards,

Gary Chang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
Third-Party Link Disclaimer

This response contains a reference to a third-party World Wide Web site.
Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft
does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information
found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations
regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or
information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any
software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure
that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from
the Internet.

0
v-garych (605)
12/31/2003 6:23:52 AM
Hi Gary,

Thanks for your response. I did finally manage to get things working.

Obviously I didn't explain my problem very well because your first reference
was pretty misleading. I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how
my code was different from the example other than the obvious difference of
creating a bitmap internally as opposed to loading a resource originating
from a .bmp file. After reading Roger Allen's article in your second
reference I finally realized that loading the bitmap from the resource WAS
the problem. If I'm interpreting Roger's article correctly (and someone
please correct me if I'm wrong) a .bmp file is somehow a device dependent
bitmap (DDB) and must be converted to a device independent bitmap (DIB)
before it can be printed on a printer. One of these days I'm going to have
to take a few hours (days) and figure out the difference and why there
should be one but that's going to have to wait for quieter times. By
converting the DDB to a DIB and changing the StretchBlt to StretchDIBits
everything is working perfectly and I can print any bitmap I choose.

Thanks for putting me on the right road.

Jim

"Gary Chang" <v-garych@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Jim
>
> Thanks for you posting in the group!
>
> > dcBitmap.CreateCompatibleDC (&m_cDC);
>
> What is the m_cDC, is it initialized by ClientDC m_cDC(this);
>

> > bResult = m_cDC.StretchBlt (iXCoord, iYCoord, 360, 90,
> >       &dcBitmap, 0, 0, m_bmLogo.bmWidth,
> >       m_bmLogo.bmHeight,  SRCCOPY);
>
> I think you should use a PrtDC that pointer to your printer instead of the
> original m_cDC.
>

> For more detail information on this topic, please refer to the following
> links:
> Print Bitmaps without Doc/View Framework
> http://www.codeproject.com/printing/general.asp?target=BITMAP%7CPrint
>
> Printing tips and tricks from the trenches

http://www.codeproject.com/printing/printingtricksandtips.asp?target=BITMAP%
> 7CPrint
>
> Printing a Document

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gdi/prntspo
> l_2ik4.asp
>

> Best regards,
>
> Gary Chang
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

rights.
> --------------------
> Third-Party Link Disclaimer
>
> This response contains a reference to a third-party World Wide Web site.
> Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft
> does not control these sites and has not tested any software or
information
> found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations
> regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or
> information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any
> software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure
> that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software
from
> the Internet.

0
jbworden (4)

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Updated KB: Thin Line Appears and Is Printed Outside Object with Border and Fill Applied
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290911 -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.mvps.org/publisher This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

Problem with Authentication

calendar problem

problem #4

Report Writer Logo Printing
I remember a software being recommended that was a pass-through printer software that would allow printing of higher-quality logos. It is a workaround for people that did not find the logo printing of RW suitable. I cannot think of the name or find the software. A nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike Found it! Software is called fineprint. It was mentioned on Musgraves blog. http://blogs.msdn.com/developingfordynamicsgp/archive/2008/07/17/company-logos-on-reports.aspx "Mike" wrote: > I remember a software being recommended that was a pass-thr...

Automatic printing of sent messages.
Can Outlook 2000 be set-up to automatically print a message immediately after having hit the "send" button? or Can a "Send and Print" button be set up? I'm probable not the only grunt that has to print a hard copy of all outgoing e-mails to be maintained in a physical file folder. To make matters worse, bosses cc: me so that I can print out and file their messages too. Thanks >-----Original Message----- >Can Outlook 2000 be set-up to automatically print a >message immediately after having hit the "send" button? or >Can a "Send a...

95 and 97 problem

Date problem

sync problems

change chart print size
I cannot change the size of the printed chart in office 2007. In 2003 it was done using un selecting the "fit to page" button. In 2007 I have a "scale to 100%" but disabled... Thanks Hi, When you say you are clicking the Fit to Page button do you mean the Option button on the first sheet of the Page Setup dialog box? If so this option is still available in 2007. Set the print range and then choose the Page Layout tab. Open the Width dropdown or the Height dropdown and choose the number of pages. If this is not enough there is a little dialog box launcher at the b...

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

Report printing block
Problem: I can't print reports. The "print report" button does not work. The print set up button will allow me to change set up for checks but will not pop up for "reports". I suspect that it is blocked by some popup blocker software that I installed and since uninstalled. I tried re-loading the 2003 Money software with no change in result. Does anybody know how to unblock a pop up menue. Or, is this not the problem. Please help. Thanks ...

outlook web access redirect problem

Problem after sorting

IF AND problem