Problem opening serialized file via Open command associated with file type

I have an SDI MFC application that produces a serialized project file via
CObject's serialization support.  The application can read the file from
within the application just fine.  The installer registers the program and
the file extension properly and associates the file type with the
application.  However, when I double click on the project file, the
application generates an "Unexpected File Format" message.

Is there a method in the document class that needs to added to handle this
functionality?

I want to try and debug the problem but not sure how to invoke the debugger
inVisualStudio when selecting the file.  Any clues on how to do that?

tia
Ted

0
tlillys (4)
2/14/2008 3:22:00 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Put a DebugBreakpoint() call, or even a simple ASSERT(FALSE), to see what is really going
on.  These will allow you to get into the debugger.
				joe
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:22:00 -0500, "tlillys" <tlillys@hgl.com> wrote:

>I have an SDI MFC application that produces a serialized project file via
>CObject's serialization support.  The application can read the file from
>within the application just fine.  The installer registers the program and
>the file extension properly and associates the file type with the
>application.  However, when I double click on the project file, the
>application generates an "Unexpected File Format" message.
>
>Is there a method in the document class that needs to added to handle this
>functionality?
>
>I want to try and debug the problem but not sure how to invoke the debugger
>inVisualStudio when selecting the file.  Any clues on how to do that?
>
>tia
>Ted

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
2/14/2008 6:04:31 PM
Thanks, Joe - nice trick.

It's crapping out when it comes to the first CObList object to load when
serializing the Document.  Any clues as to why it would have difficulty
the file in windows explorer)?  The file opens fine via "File|Open..."
within the applicaiton.

> Put a DebugBreakpoint() call, or even a simple ASSERT(FALSE), to see what
> is really going
> on.  These will allow you to get into the debugger.
> joe
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:22:00 -0500, "tlillys" <tlillys@hgl.com> wrote:
>
>>I have an SDI MFC application that produces a serialized project file via
>>CObject's serialization support.  The application can read the file from
>>within the application just fine.  The installer registers the program and
>>the file extension properly and associates the file type with the
>>application.  However, when I double click on the project file, the
>>application generates an "Unexpected File Format" message.
>>
>>Is there a method in the document class that needs to added to handle this
>>functionality?
>>
>>I want to try and debug the problem but not sure how to invoke the
>>debugger
>>inVisualStudio when selecting the file.  Any clues on how to do that?
>>
>>tia
>>Ted
>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

tlillys (4)
2/14/2008 7:31:12 PM
Well, single-stepping will reveal a lot.  You would have to see why it is causing a
problem.  Since it is the first object, it probably happens early enough in the file that
it is realistic to see what is going wrong.  For example, making sure you are in the right
class for the document.  I'm not sure what is going wrong, but I'd start by doing a lot of
single-stepping and studying backtraces that got me to where I currently am, and compare
what I see on a successful load to what I see on a failing load.
					joe

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:31:12 -0500, "tlillys" <tlillys@hgl.com> wrote:

>Thanks, Joe - nice trick.
>
>It's crapping out when it comes to the first CObList object to load when
>serializing the Document.  Any clues as to why it would have difficulty
>the file in windows explorer)?  The file opens fine via "File|Open..."
>within the applicaiton.

>> Put a DebugBreakpoint() call, or even a simple ASSERT(FALSE), to see what
>> is really going
>> on.  These will allow you to get into the debugger.
>> joe
>> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:22:00 -0500, "tlillys" <tlillys@hgl.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have an SDI MFC application that produces a serialized project file via
>>>CObject's serialization support.  The application can read the file from
>>>within the application just fine.  The installer registers the program and
>>>the file extension properly and associates the file type with the
>>>application.  However, when I double click on the project file, the
>>>application generates an "Unexpected File Format" message.
>>>
>>>Is there a method in the document class that needs to added to handle this
>>>functionality?
>>>
>>>I want to try and debug the problem but not sure how to invoke the
>>>debugger
>>>inVisualStudio when selecting the file.  Any clues on how to do that?
>>>
>>>tia
>>>Ted
>>>
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
2/15/2008 6:20:20 AM
Finally got back to this.  The failure is occuring in MyApp.InitInstance().
The call to ProcessShellCommand(cmdInfo) returns 0.  I compared the
CCommandLineInfo object after ParseCommandLine is called for the case when
the application is opened normally and when you click on a filetype
associated with the application, and noticed the following differences:

                                Normal Execution            "Open" command
through file registry
m_nShellcommand        FileNew                            FileOpen
m_strFileName            empty                                full path and
name of file I double-clicked on

Use DDE is checked in the dialog used to edit the action for the file type,
but no DDE command is used.  Just for the sake of trying, I added Open("%1")
to the DDE command message and got a error dialog that the file couldn't be
found.

Any other words of wisdom?
Ted
> Well, single-stepping will reveal a lot.  You would have to see why it is
> causing a
> problem.  Since it is the first object, it probably happens early enough
> in the file that
> it is realistic to see what is going wrong.  For example, making sure you
> are in the right
> class for the document.  I'm not sure what is going wrong, but I'd start
> by doing a lot of
> single-stepping and studying backtraces that got me to where I currently
> am, and compare
> what I see on a successful load to what I see on a failing load.
> joe
>
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:31:12 -0500, "tlillys" <tlillys@hgl.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks, Joe - nice trick.
>>
>>It's crapping out when it comes to the first CObList object to load when
>>serializing the Document.  Any clues as to why it would have difficulty
>>on
>>the file in windows explorer)?  The file opens fine via "File|Open..."
>>within the applicaiton.
>>
>>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>>> Put a DebugBreakpoint() call, or even a simple ASSERT(FALSE), to see
>>> what
>>> is really going
>>> on.  These will allow you to get into the debugger.
>>> joe

>>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>>> Web: http://www.flounder.com
>>> MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

tlillys (4)
3/16/2008 10:15:49 AM
Okay, didn't look as closely as I should have.  The failure REALLY occurs in
MySDIAppDoc.Serialize(ar).  I try to get a pointer to the CMainFrame object
and that comes back NULL.  There is no CMainFrame to get!  So now the
question becomes if I get a NULL pointer to the CMainFrame object, what
should I do?  Act like it's new instance and create the CMainFrame object
and try again?

Ted

"tlillys" <tlillys@hgl.com> wrote in message
> Finally got back to this.  The failure is occuring in
> MyApp.InitInstance(). The call to ProcessShellCommand(cmdInfo) returns 0.
> I compared the CCommandLineInfo object after ParseCommandLine is called
> for the case when the application is opened normally and when you click on
> a filetype associated with the application, and noticed the following
> differences:
>
>                                Normal Execution            "Open" command
> through file registry
> m_nShellcommand        FileNew                            FileOpen
> m_strFileName            empty                                full path
> and name of file I double-clicked on
>
> Use DDE is checked in the dialog used to edit the action for the file
> type, but no DDE command is used.  Just for the sake of trying, I added
> Open("%1") to the DDE command message and got a error dialog that the file
> couldn't be found.
>
> Any other words of wisdom?
> Ted
> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>> Well, single-stepping will reveal a lot.  You would have to see why it is
>> causing a
>> problem.  Since it is the first object, it probably happens early enough
>> in the file that
>> it is realistic to see what is going wrong.  For example, making sure you
>> are in the right
>> class for the document.  I'm not sure what is going wrong, but I'd start
>> by doing a lot of
>> single-stepping and studying backtraces that got me to where I currently
>> am, and compare
>> what I see on a successful load to what I see on a failing load.
>> joe
>>
>> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:31:12 -0500, "tlillys" <tlillys@hgl.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks, Joe - nice trick.
>>>
>>>It's crapping out when it comes to the first CObList object to load when
>>>serializing the Document.  Any clues as to why it would have difficulty
>>>on
>>>the file in windows explorer)?  The file opens fine via "File|Open..."
>>>within the applicaiton.
>>>
>>>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message

>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com

tlillys (4)

Exchange update problem

multiple Domain name delivery problem

SQL deadlock problem

docmd.transfertext problem

MS Money 95 data files

Opening Excel Workbooks

Where is the workspace file stored?

cant start outlook pst file to large

Planned Open Market Days

Trying to read XML file into dataset

Border problems

Slow receive via VPN
I'm using Outlook 2000 in Exchange mode via VPN over DSL. Everything works great except when someone sends mail with an attachment. Even a small attachment like a 150k Word doc locks up Outlook for about 45 seconds. If I have Outlook closed and open it to find the same attachment no problem. Only when Outlook is currently open and is receiving it is there a problem. I thought the mail was stored on the server and was only retrieved when requested. Why would it freeze only during receive? After Outlook starts working again I can retrieve the email in a couple of seconds. BTW, I have ...

Font dosen't revert back to original after typing in date
Example I n my text I type I have December 28th The th automatically reduces to a much smaller font and once you hit the sapce bar to continue it reverts back to the larger font. It only does this some of times, why is this being so inconsistent?. I refortmated my comp. last week and when I reinstalled office I was hoping this inconsistent problem would have been resloved, but no 2nd question please. When I post a question in "discussion group" and check the box "Notify me of Replies" I never receice a reply to my question I then have to go back to ...

opening .bak file

Excel Problem

SOAP Exception

Please Help w/ Large Excel File
Hello everyone. I have this Excel file that has drawing text box objects in the document. When I delete a text box the attributes still are present, but just not showing. It is continually growing my file size. When I export the document to HTML after deleting all the text box drawing objects and saving the file, the text box objects still show as vtextbox elements in this file. I tried to reproduce this with a new Excel workbook but could not. I would be greatful if anyone can figure this out, as I have a lot of documents to re-create if there is no solution. Thank you. exce...

Outlook 2002 XP SP 3 Archive problem
Hi there I am trying to get my newly configured outlook to archive my folders. I have ust configured it to download two POP email accounts and that works fine. I have set up a set of folders below my outlook (Personal Folders / pst) inbox node and placed the relevant emails in the corresponding folders. I have gone into tools -> options -> other -> and pressed the "AutoArchive..." button -> and set the "clean out folders older than" selection boxes to "3" and "Months" and pressed the "apply these setting to all folders" button. I ...

How do I save a Publisher Document as a JPEG file?
I have multliple scanned photos that posted to a Publisher document and I need to email it. I want to save the document as Jpeg, but it doesn't give me that option even when I choose "Save As". Please help!!! I desperately need to sent this email and it's not working!! Desperately seeking jpeg wrote: > I have multliple scanned photos that posted to a > Publisher document and I need to email it. I want to > save the document as Jpeg, but it doesn't give me that > option even when I choose "Save As". Please help!!! I > desperately need to...