Problem due to Worker Threads?

Hi
This is my first emcounter with multithreaded application.
I have created 7-8 worker threads in my application.

After running the application for some time my application gives me a run
time error.

The location where the error arises is not fixed.It can come any where.

I dont understand y is this happening.
I am facing such a problem for the first time.

I think it has got something to do with multi threading.

Waiting for suggestions

Regards

0
davinder1 (74)
1/9/2006 9:11:17 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Davinder wrote:
> This is my first emcounter with multithreaded application.
> I have created 7-8 worker threads in my application.
>
> After running the application for some time my application gives me a run
> time error.
>
> The location where the error arises is not fixed.It can come any where.
>
> I dont understand y is this happening.
> I am facing such a problem for the first time.
>
> I think it has got something to do with multi threading.

The most common error is not to set all variables and all members of all
objects to their starting value (zero, most of the time). You should
check this first, even though it's not thread related.

When multithreading is involved one of the most common errors is to
overlook the life time of objects shared between threads. The rule of
thumb is that the thread that created the object should delete it as
well, and all other threads should just use the object. Mind you, in
some special cases this is impossible, and in these cases the ownership
of the object is passed to another thread, but in every case the owner
of every object is always known.

Even though it's difficult to find the bug in your case you should still
try to debug it. The code inspection may take too long (depending of the
code size). Try to find some regularities in the behavior of the bug.
Try to remove (comment out) parts of code to narrow your search.
0
mac1 (347)
1/9/2006 11:08:55 AM
Davinder wrote:
> Hi
> This is my first emcounter with multithreaded application.
> I have created 7-8 worker threads in my application.
>
> After running the application for some time my application gives me a run
> time error.
>
> The location where the error arises is not fixed.It can come any where.
>
> I dont understand y is this happening.
> I am facing such a problem for the first time.
>
> I think it has got something to do with multi threading.
>
> Waiting for suggestions
>
> Regards

You need to study the program state when the failure occurs.  Run a
debug build in the debugger.  When it halts study the stack window of
each thread to find out what it was doing and what data it was
accessing.  Do this analysis a few times and a pattern or common element
should emerge to give you a hint.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
Scott
1/9/2006 1:35:44 PM
Sounds like a bug.  Fix it.  You've probably screwed up synchronization.  Write properly
synchronized accesses.  Or you could have a buffer overrun in a thread that causes another
thread to respond to the storage damage in an unpleasant way.  This is also a bug.  Fix
it.

Note that it is impossible to suggest what is going wrong because you have given
absolutely NO useful information.
				joe

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 14:41:17 +0530, "Davinder" <davinder@stellarinfo.com> wrote:

>Hi
>This is my first emcounter with multithreaded application.
>I have created 7-8 worker threads in my application.
>
>After running the application for some time my application gives me a run
>time error.
>
>The location where the error arises is not fixed.It can come any where.
>
>I dont understand y is this happening.
>I am facing such a problem for the first time.
>
>I think it has got something to do with multi threading.
>
>Waiting for suggestions
>
>Regards

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
1/9/2006 2:31:47 PM
The problem probably occurs way away from where your program crashes.

Are you referencing things across threads ?
Do you pass pointers to things to your threads which get deleted while the
thread is still running ? (Perhaps you created a thread in a function and passed
across something you created on the stack)
Has the thread stopped (ie have you exitted the thread procedure).
Try running one thread at a time if possible.

Davinder wrote:
> Hi
> This is my first emcounter with multithreaded application.
> I have created 7-8 worker threads in my application.
>
> After running the application for some time my application gives me a run
> time error.
>
> The location where the error arises is not fixed.It can come any where.
>
> I dont understand y is this happening.
> I am facing such a problem for the first time.
>
> I think it has got something to do with multi threading.
>
> Waiting for suggestions
>
> Regards

Thank you all for the suggestions.
In my code:

BOOL CSelectHeaderFiles::OnWizardFinish()
{
    ---
    ---    some code here!
    ---
    ---

   pWorkerThread = AfxBeginThread (CreatingTree_AdvanceThread,
(void*)pApp->MFC_Obj,

THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL, 0, CREATE_SUSPENDED);

   pWorkerThread->ResumeThread ();

   //AfxMessageBox(_T("15"));
//------------------------------------------------->******LINE 1********

   GetOut:

   return CPropertyPage::OnWizardFinish();
}

UINT CreatingTree_AdvanceThread(LPVOID pParam)
{
   CSrPhoenixApp *pApp = ( CStellarPhoenixApp* )AfxGetApp();

   if(pApp->FileSys)
      pApp->FileSys->SearchDirsAdvance(pParam);
   else
      pApp->ntFileSys->SearchDirsAdvance(pParam);

 return 0;
}

There is a very peculiar behaviour that i have noticed.

When running my application in the debug mode, if i uncomment LINE 1, the
program runs fine but as soon as i comment LINE 1
<Debug Assertion Failed> message is prompted which suggests an error in the
file <afxwin2.inl> at line 265.

I cud not understand this behaviour of the thread.

Is it something to do with Syncronization.

If this is the case then after creating the worker thread there is nothing
else to process in the function <OnWizardFinish()>. Thus the main thread is
now waiting to processes activities performed by the user. Y is the error
occuring then.

Waiting for suggestions.

Best Regards

"Davinder" <davinder@stellarinfo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> This is my first emcounter with multithreaded application.
> I have created 7-8 worker threads in my application.
>
> After running the application for some time my application gives me a run
> time error.
>
> The location where the error arises is not fixed.It can come any where.
>
> I dont understand y is this happening.
> I am facing such a problem for the first time.
>
> I think it has got something to do with multi threading.
>
> Waiting for suggestions
>
> Regards

0
davinder1 (74)
1/10/2006 10:07:41 AM
Davinder wrote:
> Thank you all for the suggestions.
> In my code:
>
> BOOL CSelectHeaderFiles::OnWizardFinish()
> {
>     ---
>     ---    some code here!
>     ---
>     ---
>
>    pWorkerThread = AfxBeginThread (CreatingTree_AdvanceThread,
> (void*)pApp->MFC_Obj,
>
> THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL, 0, CREATE_SUSPENDED);
>
>    pWorkerThread->ResumeThread ();
>

>    //AfxMessageBox(_T("15"));
> //------------------------------------------------->******LINE 1********
>

>    GetOut:
>
>    return CPropertyPage::OnWizardFinish();
> }
>

> UINT CreatingTree_AdvanceThread(LPVOID pParam)
> {
>    CSrPhoenixApp *pApp = ( CStellarPhoenixApp* )AfxGetApp();
>
>    if(pApp->FileSys)
>       pApp->FileSys->SearchDirsAdvance(pParam);
>    else
>       pApp->ntFileSys->SearchDirsAdvance(pParam);
>
>  return 0;
> }
>
> There is a very peculiar behaviour that i have noticed.
>
> When running my application in the debug mode, if i uncomment LINE 1, the
> program runs fine but as soon as i comment LINE 1
> <Debug Assertion Failed> message is prompted which suggests an error in the
> file <afxwin2.inl> at line 265.
>
> I cud not understand this behaviour of the thread.
>
> Is it something to do with Syncronization.
>
> If this is the case then after creating the worker thread there is nothing
> else to process in the function <OnWizardFinish()>. Thus the main thread is
> now waiting to processes activities performed by the user. Y is the error
> occuring then.

Maybe the error is in the "some code here" part. Maybe you have a local
variable there that you use in CreatingTree_AdvanceThread(), or
something else that gets destroyed at the end of OnWizardFinish(). If
the variable is destroyed after the thread stops using it then all is
fine, but if variable is destroyed before the thread finishes then
there's a problem.

Maybe the SearchDirsAdvance() function does things in such a manner that
it doesn't produce error if it's allowed to finish before the control is
returned back to MFC.

BTW, as a parameter of the thread you pass a member of pApp, but you
fetch the whole pApp right at the beginning of the thread. It looks to
me that you don't need pParam (this doesn't affects the execution or the
error, you just have pParam available for something else).
0
mac1 (347)
1/10/2006 10:33:09 AM
Actually i have a wizard in my application.
I create the worker thread in the OnWizardFinish() of the property page dlg
box.

Before i create the worker thread this what i am doing in the function
OnWizardFinish().

BOOL CSelectHeaderFiles::OnWizardFinish()
{
   EndDialog(nRet);

   //Then i am freeing some linked lists (5 to be specific.)

   //Then updating few variables.

   //Then updating statusbar pane 0,1 & 2 values.

   //Then finally creating the worker thread like this:
   pWorkerThread = AfxBeginThread (CreatingTree_AdvanceThread,
(void*)pApp->MFC_Obj,
                      THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL, 0, CREATE_SUSPENDED);

   pWorkerThread->ResumeThread();

   return CPropertyPage::OnWizardFinish();
}

Am i doing something wrong here.

Is there any need for synchronization here?

Another thread cannot be created unless the one created above is signalled.

Is there any need for synchronization here?

Waiting for ur suggestions

Best Regards

"Mihajlo Cvetanovic" <mac@RnEeMtOsVeEt.co.yu> wrote in message
> Davinder wrote:
> > Thank you all for the suggestions.
> > In my code:
> >
> > BOOL CSelectHeaderFiles::OnWizardFinish()
> > {
> >     ---
> >     ---    some code here!
> >     ---
> >     ---
> >
> >    pWorkerThread = AfxBeginThread (CreatingTree_AdvanceThread,
> > (void*)pApp->MFC_Obj,
> >
> > THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL, 0, CREATE_SUSPENDED);
> >
> >    pWorkerThread->ResumeThread ();
> >

> >    //AfxMessageBox(_T("15"));
> > //------------------------------------------------->******LINE 1********
> >

> >    GetOut:
> >
> >    return CPropertyPage::OnWizardFinish();
> > }
> >

> > UINT CreatingTree_AdvanceThread(LPVOID pParam)
> > {
> >    CSrPhoenixApp *pApp = ( CStellarPhoenixApp* )AfxGetApp();
> >
> >    if(pApp->FileSys)
> >       pApp->FileSys->SearchDirsAdvance(pParam);
> >    else
> >       pApp->ntFileSys->SearchDirsAdvance(pParam);
> >
> >  return 0;
> > }
> >
> > There is a very peculiar behaviour that i have noticed.
> >
> > When running my application in the debug mode, if i uncomment LINE 1,
the
> > program runs fine but as soon as i comment LINE 1
> > <Debug Assertion Failed> message is prompted which suggests an error in
the
> > file <afxwin2.inl> at line 265.
> >
> > I cud not understand this behaviour of the thread.
> >
> > Is it something to do with Syncronization.
> >
> > If this is the case then after creating the worker thread there is
nothing
> > else to process in the function <OnWizardFinish()>. Thus the main thread
is
> > now waiting to processes activities performed by the user. Y is the
error
> > occuring then.
>
> Maybe the error is in the "some code here" part. Maybe you have a local
> variable there that you use in CreatingTree_AdvanceThread(), or
> something else that gets destroyed at the end of OnWizardFinish(). If
> the variable is destroyed after the thread stops using it then all is
> fine, but if variable is destroyed before the thread finishes then
> there's a problem.
>
> Maybe the SearchDirsAdvance() function does things in such a manner that
> it doesn't produce error if it's allowed to finish before the control is
> returned back to MFC.
>
> BTW, as a parameter of the thread you pass a member of pApp, but you
> fetch the whole pApp right at the beginning of the thread. It looks to
> me that you don't need pParam (this doesn't affects the execution or the
> error, you just have pParam available for something else).

0
davinder1 (74)
1/10/2006 1:11:46 PM
Davinder wrote:
> Actually i have a wizard in my application.
> I create the worker thread in the OnWizardFinish() of the property page dlg
> box.
>
> Before i create the worker thread this what i am doing in the function
> OnWizardFinish().
>
> BOOL CSelectHeaderFiles::OnWizardFinish()
> {
>    EndDialog(nRet);
>

>    //Then i am freeing some linked lists (5 to be specific.)
>
>    //Then updating few variables.
>
>    //Then updating statusbar pane 0,1 & 2 values.
>
>    //Then finally creating the worker thread like this:
>    pWorkerThread = AfxBeginThread (CreatingTree_AdvanceThread,
> (void*)pApp->MFC_Obj,
>                       THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL, 0, CREATE_SUSPENDED);
>
>    pWorkerThread->ResumeThread();
>
>    return CPropertyPage::OnWizardFinish();
> }
>
> Am i doing something wrong here.
>
> Is there any need for synchronization here?
>
> Another thread cannot be created unless the one created above is signalled.
>
> Is there any need for synchronization here?

Calling EndDialog before calling OnWizardFinish looks like a mistake.

Synchronization is needed when two or more threads can access the same
data.  You have not said whether that can happen or not.

Is your intention to suspend the main thread until the worker thread
completes?

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
Scott
1/10/2006 1:42:04 PM
Thanx for the suggestions

No i donot intend to suspend the main thread untill the worker thread
completes.
Also no two threads try to access the same data at the same time

<Calling EndDialog before calling OnWizardFinish looks like a mistake>

This is not the first time i have called EndDialog() like this. Never got an
error but yes this is the first time a thread is also involved.

Waiting for ur suggestions
Regards

"Scott McPhillips [MVP]" <org-dot-mvps-at-scottmcp> wrote in message
> Davinder wrote:
> > Actually i have a wizard in my application.
> > I create the worker thread in the OnWizardFinish() of the property page
dlg
> > box.
> >
> > Before i create the worker thread this what i am doing in the function
> > OnWizardFinish().
> >
> > BOOL CSelectHeaderFiles::OnWizardFinish()
> > {
> >    EndDialog(nRet);
> >

> >    //Then i am freeing some linked lists (5 to be specific.)
> >
> >    //Then updating few variables.
> >
> >    //Then updating statusbar pane 0,1 & 2 values.
> >
> >    //Then finally creating the worker thread like this:
> >    pWorkerThread = AfxBeginThread (CreatingTree_AdvanceThread,
> > (void*)pApp->MFC_Obj,
> >                       THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL, 0, CREATE_SUSPENDED);
> >
> >    pWorkerThread->ResumeThread();
> >
> >    return CPropertyPage::OnWizardFinish();
> > }
> >
> > Am i doing something wrong here.
> >
> > Is there any need for synchronization here?
> >
> > Another thread cannot be created unless the one created above is
signalled.

> > Is there any need for synchronization here?
>
> Calling EndDialog before calling OnWizardFinish looks like a mistake.
>
> Synchronization is needed when two or more threads can access the same
> data.  You have not said whether that can happen or not.
>
> Is your intention to suspend the main thread until the worker thread
> completes?
>
> --
> Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
davinder1 (74)
1/11/2006 5:01:58 AM
> When running my application in the debug mode, if i uncomment LINE 1, the
> program runs fine but as soon as i comment LINE 1
> <Debug Assertion Failed> message is prompted which suggests an error in the
> file <afxwin2.inl> at line 265.

What is on the call stack at the moment when the assertion is raised?
(Press Retry to break into debugger, then check the call stack)

Which thread raises the assertion? Main, worker, other?

What version of Visual Studio is used?

Regards,
Oleg
[VC++ MVP http://www.debuginfo.com/]

0
Oleg
1/12/2006 10:09:00 AM
Thanx for the suggestions

From with the worker thread can i update the variables belonging to MFC
Objects as:

   pframe->SavingScanInfo = TRUE;

Is this fine or do i have to send msg to the mainframe to update the value
of SavingScanInfo.

Waiting for suggestions

Best Regards

"Oleg Starodumov" <com-dot-debuginfo-at-oleg> wrote in message

> > When running my application in the debug mode, if i uncomment LINE 1,
the
> > program runs fine but as soon as i comment LINE 1
> > <Debug Assertion Failed> message is prompted which suggests an error in
the
> > file <afxwin2.inl> at line 265.
> >

> What is on the call stack at the moment when the assertion is raised?
> (Press Retry to break into debugger, then check the call stack)
>
> Which thread raises the assertion? Main, worker, other?
>
> What version of Visual Studio is used?
>
> Regards,
> Oleg
> [VC++ MVP http://www.debuginfo.com/]

0
davinder1 (74)

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Problem with Authentication

calendar problem

problem #4

95 and 97 problem

sync problems

Date problem

Installation Problem!!

Office 2007 - HELP

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

outlook web access redirect problem

Problem after sorting

IF AND problem

Problem SHAppBarMessage
Hi, I am creating an application bar which shall be displayed always at the top of the screen to show the user certain alerts. I am using the commands SHAppBarMessage(ABM_NEW, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_QUERYPOS, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_SETPOS, &abd); SetWindowPos(NULL, abd.rc.left, abd.rc.top, abd.rc.right - abd.rc.left, iClientHeight, SWP_NOACTIVATE); Works fine. The problem begins, when I start moving the taskbar. I am catching the event OnSettingChange and my application bar is resizing/moving correctly. BUT: If the taskbar moves to the top and my application bar ...

Lookup() problem
I set up two lists, 200 employees names and 200 employee numbers. A couple of the numbers match the correct names but the rest of the numbers all pull the same employee name. =LOOKUP(C4,List!C4:C204,List!B4:B204) The first time I tried it seemed to pull the correct matching names and numbers then kabui it gets stuck. I tried deleting the entire lists cells and all and starting over but same thing. Anyone ever run into this before? Wayman Don't forget! When using Lookup(), the vector (second argument) must be sorted in ascending order. If it's not, you'll get what you ca...

Problem creating credit card account
When creating a Chase or Amazon.com credit cards I am having this happen to me when it creates the card and I can't figure out how to fix it so there is just one card showing. I attached a jpeg of what I am seeing. It's like it created multiple instances of the card and also show balances of my other cards. I am not sure if it is because these cards are associated with Chase or what. When I had it setup the online service for the card then that is when it creates the other instances. I hope someone can makes sence of this. Thanks! ...

Problems with CRichEditCtrl problems
Hi, I'd like to have some help regarding something I'm having an hard time figuring out. I'm develloping a chat programm where the Output window is a rich edit ctrl (I used CRichEditCtrl in one cases and CreateWindowEx(.."RichEdit"..) in the other one. I use StreamIn to stream in the chat information (since I want to use the rft format). I user \Par to perfrom line skipping, however, for some reason, on the computer of one of my user who's using Windows98, it doesn't not work and instand of seeing the text the way it should be (with the line skipping) the...

OL 2003 registry or installn problem
Outlook 2003 (part of office 2003 suite) opens and forgets password for email accounts. Tried to open tools-email account and I got operation failed due to a registry or installation problem. also can' view Outlook store location, can't open property of folder w/o getting error message tried restart in control panel-mail, can't see any account for any of the profiles. tried restoring form office settings and failed tried repair and no better result what else can I do other than total uninstall / re-install and still keep the app't, tasks, reminders for the m...