Possible to call Linux machine from MFC?

Hi,

I've been searching for some answers to this online but it's really outside
my experience, which is mostly with MFC.
I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to call an executable that resides
on a machine running linux and pass both input arguments and get return
values from the linux executable.  ( The hardware we want to interact with
is only accessible from the linux machine.)

TIA for any help or pointers.

Regards,

Gerry Murphy

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

> I've been searching for some answers to this online but it's really
> outside
> my experience, which is mostly with MFC.
> I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to call an executable that
> resides
> on a machine running linux and pass both input arguments and get return
> values from the linux executable.  ( The hardware we want to interact
> with
> is only accessible from the linux machine.)
>
> TIA for any help or pointers.

Have a look at Ice from http://www.zeroc.com.

It will let you define an interface and call the implementation of that
interface remotely.  They have builds for Windows and several unix
variants.

Eric
0
eric6371 (58)
11/29/2006 10:00:21 PM
"Eric Hill" <eric@ijack.net> wrote in message
>> I've been searching for some answers to this online but it's really
>> outside
>> my experience, which is mostly with MFC.
>> I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to call an executable that
>> resides
>> on a machine running linux and pass both input arguments and get return
>> values from the linux executable.  ( The hardware we want to interact
>> with
>> is only accessible from the linux machine.)
>>
>> TIA for any help or pointers.
>
> Have a look at Ice from http://www.zeroc.com.
>
> It will let you define an interface and call the implementation of that
> interface remotely.  They have builds for Windows and several unix
> variants.
>
> Eric

Thanks for your reply but that's not the sort of thing I had in mind.

Regards,

Gerry Murphy

Also not what you're thinking of, but can both computers access
a common directory, you might be able to transfer information via
input and output text files, and have the linux program
continually running and monitoring for new requests.

Ian.

"Gerry Murphy" <gerrymurphy429@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Eric Hill" <eric@ijack.net> wrote in message
>>> I've been searching for some answers to this online but it's really
>>> outside
>>> my experience, which is mostly with MFC.
>>> I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to call an executable that
>>> resides
>>> on a machine running linux and pass both input arguments and get return
>>> values from the linux executable.  ( The hardware we want to interact
>>> with
>>> is only accessible from the linux machine.)
>>>
>>> TIA for any help or pointers.
>>
>> Have a look at Ice from http://www.zeroc.com.
>>
>> It will let you define an interface and call the implementation of that
>> interface remotely.  They have builds for Windows and several unix
>> variants.
>>
>> Eric
>
> Thanks for your reply but that's not the sort of thing I had in mind.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gerry Murphy

0
ian751 (23)