Plain text warning/ VS2005

Whenever I add a CRecordset derived class, I get an error telling me the
password for the DB is sent in "plain text" and is not secure etc.  I
comment that line out, but how much of a security risk is this?  What can I
do with my Access database to avoid this?  VC 6.0 never gave this error...

tia

no5148 (61)
7/26/2006 12:31:17 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

If you are on any kind of network that anyone can look at, you are wide open for attack.
Example, a University network; potentially, ever student can be running a packet sniffer
and see your password.  Anything that passes acros the Internet outside your local
intranet is also vulnerable.

What amazes me is that any component would ever send a password in plaintext rather than
encrypted.  Makes me wonder about Microsoft's claims about caring about security.

Note that later versions of VS beyond 6 issue warnings for issues that VS6 did not, or in
some cases could not.  These are all genuine issues to be concerned with.

Unless you are working on a physically secured network in which every machine can be
trusted (including trusted against being corrupted by trojans, worms, viruses, etc.) or
using encrypted wireless, to a physically secured trusted network, you are inviting anyone
who can access your network to attack your database.

Or, as I sometimes like to say, "This is a security hole big enough to drive a freight
train through.  Sideways."
					joe

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 08:31:17 -0400, "saywhat" <no@fuk.no> wrote:

>Whenever I add a CRecordset derived class, I get an error telling me the
>password for the DB is sent in "plain text" and is not secure etc.  I
>comment that line out, but how much of a security risk is this?  What can I
>do with my Access database to avoid this?  VC 6.0 never gave this error...
>
>tia

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)

Sorting by Text field of numbers
I am using Access 2003. I have created a database to help me files by "Lot#'s". Our lot numbers for one of our products is all over the place so I created the Lot # field as a text field. Ex: 02-01-01, 10000272925, 10-06-02-04-06 and 1503011 A1-02. Why does access put - 1000272925 before 10-06-02-03-05? Does this look right to anyone? My thinking is that "10" comes before "1000272925". What affect does the "-" have in sorting the numbers. Would I be better off to put a space instead of the "-"? Can anyone help me ...

Great Plains newb here
Hey folks, I have a few general questions and maybe a few more specific ones. I just started working for a small business a couple months ago and they are currently using Great Plains v7.5. They do not know a good deal of the system and I have been messing around with it when I can but with our workload lately I haven't been able to figure out much. I guess my first question is: How do we go about upgrading GP? And my second question, which is pretty important at the moment, is how would we get a report to generate that gives us a total figure for what our activity was in any given mont...

cannot import text with pub 2000
I have Publisher 2000 as part Office and I use it very infrequently. I need to import the text in a word Doc and there seems to be no way to import text. I start Publisher and click "insert", and "text file" is grayed out. I have tried to repair and finally, I uninstalled by going through setup and making publisher "not available". I then reinstalled, and there was no change. thanks Copy the text in the Word doc Create a text box in the Publisher file Select Edit and Paste. -- Don -------- Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of the 45+ countri...

Importing Multiple Text Files using VB
Hiya I have found a very useful macro except that there are a couple of changes needed for it to suit my purpose.Being "vb" challenged I can't seem to get it to work fthe way I want it. The macro will import text files from a specified directory however it places the text file name on top of each column as well as the data. I need it to enter the information row by row with the text file name at the start of each row. The data would be entered into a single cell where I have formulas to extract the information that I need. Please help. Sub Consolidate() With Application.FileSear...

Lost Jobs and Full Text Search in CRM 3.0
Greetings! Recently we moved all our databases on the new SQL Server 2005. Then we deleted old database server. MSCRM 3.0 databases connected and work OK, but we have some troubles. In Microsoft CRM Environment Diagnostics Wizard we have 2 warnings: Job MSDN_Subscriber_MSCRM.Update Contract States could not be found in the sysjobs table. Job Start_Incremental on MSDN_Subscriber_MSCRM.ftcat_documentindex.[7.5] could not be found in the sysjobs table. Does anyone know how to create these jobs manually? Also we lost full-text catalog ftcat_documentindex. Any ideas how to recreate it? T...

Outlook 2000 Calendar Text Entry query. Help!
Husband and I are both retired and have never used Outlook before, even though it's installed on our home computer. Now that we have more time on our hands, we're using the Outlook monthly calendar: we print out a "blank" month at a time, pop the page into a ring bind folder, and then write (by hand) notes on the various days. We would like to be able to do this on-screen though, rather than with a pen! We're planning a day-by-day schedule for a holiday next February but we cannot work out how to "write" timetable notes into the squares for each separate...

format text in textbox
I have Publisher 2003 and copied text form Notepad into textbox. How do I change the formatting so that lines wrap properly? I have one word lines, etc. Thanks for information. Susan After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Susan <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > I have Publisher 2003 and copied text form Notepad into textbox. How > do I change the formatting so that lines wrap properly? I have one > word lines, etc. This is a problem with the original text - if you resize your Notepad window, you will probably find that the text w...

Underlining Data in a Text Box
I am trying to create a form that allows underlining for specific characters when the users wants to enter them underlined. I'm not sure how to do this. I have a Text Box over a Memo field. When I add the Formatting toolbar to the form, and the user clicks on underlining, all the characters in the control become underlined. What I need is a way for the user to underline only one character at a time when needed. I am using Access 2000, and am familiar with VBA if needed. Any help would be appreciated -- Frank Wagner fwagner111@aol.com "Frank Wagner" <FrankWagner@d...

Estimating contrast between text and background RGB colors
Hello I don't think this is the right place to post my question, but I would appreciate if someone could direct me towards the appropriate forum. I'm developping a program with MS VC 6.0 and the user of this program can pick the colors he/she wants for the text, and its background. Of course, if the colors are the same or if they are close, one cannot read the text because of a contrast too low. I'm looking for a test based on the comparison of the RGB colors and whose output would be either "OK, contrast is large enough" or "Sorry, contrast is too low, pick another ...

how to converts a number to text eg. "2" become "two" #2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213360 many excel utilities from third parties have this built in http://xcell05.free.fr/ Morefunc for instance, see above link -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Northwest Excel Solutions Portland, Oregon "CQ" <CQ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03EC3E12-2919-4F4F-9D6B-101F7C095860@microsoft.com... > ...

Contact attribute "websiteurl" coded as format "text" and not "url"
I have some contacts that need a website associated with their record. I noticed that the Contact has a built in attribute "websiteurl" built in, so I added it to the default form. I then entered a url to the field in one of my contact records. I noticed that this field is not a hyperlink/hotlink. i.e. I cant click on it and open the web-site. When I checked the "websiteurl" attribute, I noticed it was set as a format of "text" and NOT "url" as should be the case. The "Account" entity already had the web site field added to its form, and thi...

VS2005
Hello All, I have a vb.net desktop application in Visual Studio 2005 that needs to submit data to an external website (http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/OPUS) where I would like to set the submittal values under my program control and need a little help. I can easily set the values for the email address and the antenna height as these are just text boxes via webbrowser1.document.all.item(item for email).innertext = "tom@..." I am having problems with the File Browse setting the file name - where do I set my filename string. Innertext does not work. If I copy and paste from...

Great Plains and Btrieve 6.15
I am not sure if this is the right spot to post this or not, but here goes. I am using Great Plains 98 version for Dos on a Novell server. The problem i am having is that I want to be able to access if from either a written program, or Excel. I need help on how to go about connecting to this Btrieve program and do Queries. TIA You will need to upgrade to the later Pervasvie Btrieve engine (www.pervasive.com) to have all the ODBC connectivity. Another option if you just need to extract the data is BtSearch32 at www.nssdd.com. It will export to dbase or ascii formats which you can im...

Pasting a line of text
I just started using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 SP2 as my work in now requiring it for all email access. Today I noticed while composing an email that when I cut a line of text (ctrl-x) and then try to paste the line of text somewhere else (ctrl-v) it strips off the carriage return/newline! grrr... I've verified that the cut (ctrl-x) works correctly by pasting the line of text into a text/hex editor, and all the bytes show up correctly. But even if I copy the line of text from another editor and paste it into the email it strips off the carriage return/newline. Is there some prefer...

Text strings from a variable string
Is there anyway I can set up a system where if I type a variable ( alpha numeric/numeric) in say d1, it will automatically put strings assigned to this variable in D2, D3 e.g variable P1234 D1 D2 D3 D4 P1234 op1 op2 op3 etc VLOOKUP table and formulas should do the trick. See help on VLOOKUP I note you have your D1, D2, D3 and D4 horizontally displayed when they should be vertically oriented. Is that a typo or did you mean D1, E1, F1 and G1? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:21:01 -0700, Ferdy <Ferdy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is ther...

convert a number to text (in english)
How can i convert a number to text , but in english (for example, i have the number 12345 stored on cell A1 and i want to somehow have the text "Twelve thousand and three hunderd and fourty five" in another cell, for example cell A2). i tried to do it using BAHTTEXT but i get a nonreadable text. Costa, Put the functions below into a standard codemodule - watch line wrapping errors - and use it by entering =MakeWords(12345) or =MakeWords(A2) where A2 contains 12345 HTH, Bernie Function MakeWords(ByVal InValue As Double) As String MakeWords = "" n = InValue tr...

Rules
Can anyone help please? I can create a rule to look for specfic text in the subject line of incoming emails, but it uses "OR" so that Outlook looks for any one of the words I type. Can I get it to use "AND" instead to look for all of the words? Any help would be much appreciated. Rob E. ...

Limit input to Text Box
I want to limit the keys available to user to make input to a numeric field. I want to do this be traping the KEYDOWN event. If the user presses a key that I don't want them to use, how do I cancel the KEYDOWN? Do I set the keycode to false? "PosseJohn" <PosseJohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C9585DF0-735B-47F9-A18F-8E6B647E95AD@microsoft.com... >I want to limit the keys available to user to make input to a numeric >field. > > I want to do this be traping the KEYDOWN event. > > If the user presses a key that I don&...

Text boxes printing jumbled
In Publisher 2003, when I print only some of my text boxes are coming out jumbled, but when I look at the screen it looks fine. Jumbled? Not sure I know what that means. Have you looked on the manufacturer's web site of your model printer for an updated driver? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Wendy" <Wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:475B7BA5-7D77-462A-8A93-1D2CFD648811@microsoft.com... > In Publisher 2003, when I print only some of my text boxes are coming out > jum...

Text boxes
Hi Does anyone know if Publsiher 2007 can do rounded corners on text boxes please? Serif Page Plus 11 can but........ Thanks AVB Or simply put a rounded rectangle around the text box. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "CyberTaz" <typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet> wrote in message news:ODNS%23itoHHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > You can't change the shape of an existing text box, but you can right-click > [just about] any AutoShape & choose Add Text from the contextual menu. IOW, > you ...

warning message
Please help,when e-mailing from an access form through >microsoft outlook it pops up with the following message >before sending the mail "A program is trying to >automatically send mail on your behalf.Doyou want to >allow this..........". I need to deactivate or bypass >this feature, is it posible and if so how? > Take a look here, it may help: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm "Andre" <andre@hlthfre.ecape.gov.za> wrote in message news:0ca501c366f4$ab3d4ac0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Please help,when e-mailing from an access fo...

Problems with images from the web flowing through a text box
I copy text and images from the web into a new blank publication. Some times the image I copy fades into the background of the text box and the desired result is to have the image be square in the text box. Any suggestions? Thank you Bring the image to the front. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Evelyn A. trudel" <Evelyn A. trudel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D219D5E-84FE-41DD-9531-610745BADCF9@microsoft.com... >I copy text and images from the web into a new blank publication...

Warning 919 OPOS driver error
I recently got a new back office (not POS) PC and during the setup of it, acquired a new error message when I launch RMS Manager. It says "Warning 919 : The printer OPOS driver was not found. Do you wish to continue?" I just click Yes and everything is OK, but I'd like to eliminate that error during every launch of Manager. I was wondering if I accidentally installed Store Operations on this PC and that is the reason. Help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Please Cc: me your replies please. ______________________________________________________ Larry Leveen OlyBikes B...

formatting text as active hyperlinks
I have tried to format cells containing valid urls as hyperlinks. I can copy the format from a valid and active hyperlink; but when I paste it in the cell (I have tried pasting format), the contents look like a hyperlink, but the mouse cursor does not change when I hover over it, and I can't open the web site by clicking on it? Any ideas? -- dpimental ------------------------------------------------------------------------ dpimental's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14848 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26...

Convert text to numbers #2
I have a large spreadsheet with a column that has the numbers formatted as text. I tried reformatting the column from numbers to text but when I sum the column with other columns (that are formatted as numbers) it still doesn't show in the sum. The spreadsheet is too big for me to retype the numbers. Can anyone please help??? In a another column insert a formula that multiplies the first colum that you are having problems with by 1. i.e = a1*1 and drag all the way down. This will force Excel to create a result that is a number. Then copy this new results column on top of the old one...