Plain text warning/ VS2005

Whenever I add a CRecordset derived class, I get an error telling me the
password for the DB is sent in "plain text" and is not secure etc.  I
comment that line out, but how much of a security risk is this?  What can I
do with my Access database to avoid this?  VC 6.0 never gave this error...

tia

no5148 (61)
7/26/2006 12:31:17 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

If you are on any kind of network that anyone can look at, you are wide open for attack.
Example, a University network; potentially, ever student can be running a packet sniffer
and see your password.  Anything that passes acros the Internet outside your local
intranet is also vulnerable.

What amazes me is that any component would ever send a password in plaintext rather than
encrypted.  Makes me wonder about Microsoft's claims about caring about security.

Note that later versions of VS beyond 6 issue warnings for issues that VS6 did not, or in
some cases could not.  These are all genuine issues to be concerned with.

Unless you are working on a physically secured network in which every machine can be
trusted (including trusted against being corrupted by trojans, worms, viruses, etc.) or
using encrypted wireless, to a physically secured trusted network, you are inviting anyone
who can access your network to attack your database.

Or, as I sometimes like to say, "This is a security hole big enough to drive a freight
train through.  Sideways."
					joe

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 08:31:17 -0400, "saywhat" <no@fuk.no> wrote:

>Whenever I add a CRecordset derived class, I get an error telling me the
>password for the DB is sent in "plain text" and is not secure etc.  I
>comment that line out, but how much of a security risk is this?  What can I
>do with my Access database to avoid this?  VC 6.0 never gave this error...
>
>tia

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15979)

text value
I need to rank a column containing concatonated names and addresses. Ranking only handles numeric values, is there any way to give text a numeric value? Hi, It would have helped to see some test data but let's start from here. With your data in column A starting in A2 enter this in b2 and drag down =COUNTIF($A$2:$A$100,"<"&A2)+1 -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "AllyH" wrote: > I need to rank a colum...

Locking Text Fields
I am trying to lock Text Field in a document that I am modifying. The document was not created by me. I am able to lock the text in a new document but would like to modify the company letterhed to lock text. Assistance would be appreciated. Kind regards -- Es See the article "How can I prevent users from editing the header of a document in Word 2000 or higher?” at: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/ProtectWord2000PlusHeader.htm or, the article "How can I prevent users from editing the header of a Word 97 document?” at: http://www.word.mvps.org/...

Great Plains software compatibility question
Our clinic has purchased Great Plains accounting software and would like to put it on a server. The server would also be the home of ARCserv and The Raiser's Edge. Anyone know of any compatibility issues? ...

HTML messages received as plain text
Whenever I send a message in HTML format and receive a copy of it at my own inbox, it gets converted to plain text. I can't seem to find the place where I specify the default receive format or some other way to stop Outlook 2002 from converting my HTML format messages to plain text. I can receive HTML messages from others, but when I send one to myself as part of group e-mail, it always gets converted. ...

PREVENT conversion of text to number?
I have a CSV file that I will open (or import) and which has one colum that contains serial numbers. The problem is that some of the number have this format: 123E567. Excel promptly converts this text to a number: 1.23E+569. Even if then change the format of the cell to text, it still keep the tex 1.23E+569. How can I either prevent the original text from being converted t begin with or how can I correct it after the fact? Best regards, Ke -- celticvalle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- celticvalley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/membe...

Disappearing text
When I paste some text from a web page into Word 2007, I can edit the text but it does not print. It does not appear in print preview either. However I can read it in Word. I notice the text has underlining. What gives? Sounds as if the text is formatted as hidden. Select it and clear the "Hidden" option in the Font dialog box (Ctrl+D). If you see a filled box (instead of a check mark), just click the option twice to turn it off. (The filled box indicates different settings in the selection; for example, some text may be hidden while other text is not.) -- Stefan B...

adding text in front of
Hi, I would like to insert a common beginning in front of all my lines of text on a certain collum . How do I do that , my text being different on each lines example from Bob to - Bob -- Our website : http://timmins22.adventistchurchconnect.org/index.php Our Bible School : http://www.discoveronline.org/schools/647 try Sub adddash() mc=activecell.column lr=cells(rows.count,mc).end(xlup).row For Each c In range(cells(2,mc),cells(lr,mc)) If Len(c) > 1 Then c.Value = "- " & c Next c End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austi...

How to load text into Excel from web?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to load text into Excel from following web? http://fund.kf-studio.net/hsi_pe.png Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric Col. "A" formula is also an Array Formula. http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7407/nonamea.png Micky "Eric" wrote: > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to load text into Excel from > following web? > http://fund.kf-studio.net/hsi_pe.png > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions > Eric Could you please provide more description? Thank you very much for any suggest...

Designate Plain Text for Some Contacts
I'm using Windows Live Mail as my Windows default email program. I would like to designate only some of my contacts to receive Plain Text email, rather than HTML. Thus, when I select a Group to send an email to, I want some will get plain text, and others will get HTML. How can that be accomplished in Windows Live Mail? ROFL - you're joking right?! You think there is anything that sophisticated about WLM ? "pcOxygen" <pcOxygen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15E4A3FB-C61E-4DEF-B16C-512FBF8CE789@microsoft.com... > I'm usi...

Isolating a PO number in a text field
Hi, I have a text field that has both a PO Number and an invoice number. The people who have been inputing this field start with PO and then a four digit number. Somethings there is a space and other times there is not (PO4560 or PO 4560). Some of our POs also have a - followed by a letter (PO 4560-A). Whether or not the PO is four characters or six, the next part is a / followed by the invoice number (PO 4560-A/Inv 3433). What I want to do is to isolate the four or six digit number and exclude the PO and the / and everything afte the /. So I want to return a query that only has...

Replication of Database of Great Plains
Does anyone have any experience with Great Plains and SQL server Replication-It is something we may start looking at, but it would be helpful to know if there are any deal breaking issues before diving in and spending a bunch of time on it. Another is, is there a problem that may occur? how to use replication in SQL? Please provide me some details thanks. What kind of replication do you want to do? You are limited in your options when dealing with Great Plains. I have a document that's been out for years but is still relevant since the GP architecture has not changed since it was ...

disappearing text
Version: 2008 I am working on a word Project Gallery and one page in the doc. has text that is not recognized in the toolbox and it disappears as I scroll down the doc. I can't seem to locate it to edit or wrap around a graphic. I need help ASAP because i have have it done by monday. help please. bob What do you mean "working on a word Project Gallery"? The Project Gallery is a setup of starter templates. Are you working on a set of starter templates, or are you writing a document based on one of those templates? What do you mean "text not recognised"? ...

How to format in a cell that has both text and a formula
I have a cell with this formula ="James Cedric V. Sebua ("& ((TODAY()-B14)/365) & ")" The display is this James Cedric V. Sebua (5.55890410958904) And I want it to be this: James Cedric V. Sebua (5) Thanks Dave Hi Dave, Try: ="James Cedric V. Sebua ("& INT((TODAY()-B14)/365) & ")" -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "Dave" <dave@accessdatapros> wrote in message news:EA033D26-48C7-4D91-8855-621A76C8367D@microsoft.com... >I have a cell with this formula > > > =&...

Great Plains Client Installation Options? (Questions)
My company has almost 100 client installs of Great Plains. For the initial install we installed everything to the local c: drive (C:\Great Plains\). Now everytime we go to perform an upgrade we have to go to every client machine and upgrade them individually (or at least make sure that machine has recieved the updated files correctly). We also have a script that on login copies down needed files and that helps alot. However this is my question: Is there something that prevents me from having all the clients look to a shared (UNC) path for their data files. (//machinename/shareddrive...

PLAIN plain text
I'm an unhappy user of Outlook 2003 (no choice...). One of the reasons for my unhappiness concerns sending text to people who aren't using Outlook. I initially went into the Outlook dlg box "Tools | Options", the "Mail Format" tab, and set the "Compose in this message format" drop-down to "Plain Text." But that wasn't good enough: two recipients (one a majordomo, the other running an unidentified email client on a *nix machine) got gibberish. The gibberish turned out to be uuencoded with the 64 bit format. While this is a standard format...

selecting text in a document
Hi All, I have a macro that seeks out a particular string of text in a document and then moves down one line and selects the remaining text nin the document and writes it to a variable and then uses it subsequently in the message section of an email. Recently this method has been failing because the text is not being selected. I don't know if the PC was in EST mode a the time but I need the macro to work no matter what. The code I use is as follows Selection.HomeKey wdStory Selection.Find.Execute "Issued at" Selection.MoveDown wdLine...

merge unformatted date with text
My original date column was formatted 02/01/71. I created a new column and created a custom date format; 020171. I would like to take this column and merge it together with the last 3 digits of a column where a ss# resides. This column is a text column. For example, the new column should look like 020171008. Can anyone help? I tried this based on your example and used the =Text (originaldate,mmddyy) function and used a =Right(ss#,3) to create a new column for the last three of the ss#. Then Concatenated the two fields resulting in 02171999. Good Luck! >-----Original Message...

Alignment of Combo Box Text
I have found http://www.lebans.com/verticaljustification.htm that applies to text boxes and labels. Are there any references to vertically center COMBO BOX text? "PosseJohn" <PosseJohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:269AC3AE-31A7-4C52-9208-EBC35E241074@microsoft.com... >I have found http://www.lebans.com/verticaljustification.htm that applies >to > text boxes and labels. > > Are there any references to vertically center COMBO BOX text? You just needed to look farther on Stephen's site: http://www.lebans.com/justicombo.ht...

Converting incoming email to plain text
Hi Is there any way I can configure Xch 5.5 to convert all received SMTP email to plain text ? I can't find any option. Thanks Dave ...

Great Plains Users getting 'STUCK' in Great Plains
I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting this.. I have a user that continually gets hung in Great Plains 7.5. EVERY morning when she tries to log in, her account is already logged on and I have to go into the User Activity Security screen and delete her active session - then she is OK until the next time she logs out and tries to log in again. Yesterday and Today - my 'sa' account got locked in two different companies. Thank Goodness I had a 3rd company to log into and then kick myself out. Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening? Are you running ...

text control suggestions
Hi all, I hope this question isn't OT in this group. I'm looking for a good text control to edit full-text database records. It should support hyperlinks, preferably tables and pictures and it should be able to contain a lot of text(100 MB will do). We are currently using TX Textcontrol, but that doesn't meet our requirements (it cannot hold more than 22k of data within a table). I've been searching the web, but can't find any good alternatives. Anyone here who can suggest a nice control? Thanks in advance. Kind regards, Ruben. "Ruben van Engelenburg" <r...

Outlook 2007: Incorrect Tab Spacing When Using Plain Text Format
I am using Outlook 2007 SP2 (Exchange Server). The OS is Windows XP Pro SP2. Whenever I compose a message using the Plain Text format, Outlook 2007 ignores my tab spacing at the moment of printing a copy of my message. I can see the tabbed text correctly on my screen, but when I print a copy of the message the tab spaces are gone; this of course makes reading the message hard to do! (The same problem happens at the recipient's end: They can see the message ok on the screen but not when printing it.) As far as I know, tab spacing should not be a problem in Plain Text mod...

Mulitple text lines in a single cell
I need to type several sentences into one single cell but I can not for the life of me figure out how to get it to make mulitple text lines in one cell... It looks like this........ and I need it to look like this. Please please help! After typing each line press ALT-ENTER instead of ENTER to go to the next line in the same cell. -- -------- If this is what you wanted then press the ''''YES'''' button (if you see it) "Mrs.Aguire" wrote: > I need to type several sentences into one single cell but I can not for the > life of me figure...

Exporting data in comma delimited format in text file
I have Excel 2002. How do you export columns of data in a comma-delimited text file? Thanks Try saving the file. Make sure you choose: "CSV (Comma delimetd)(*.csv)" as the file type. If you want to only save certain columns (or even just a certain range), copy those to a worksheet in a new workbook save that new workbook as a .CSV file. You could also write your own code to do exactly what you want. Here are some sites with sample code: J.E. McGimpsey's: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html Earl Kiosterud's Text Write program: www.smokeylake.com/excel (o...

text in cell looks different when printed
text in cell looks ok on screen. when printed, text is moved around, out of alignment from the way the cell looked when viewing the screen. When keying in information into a cell, how do you get the text to skip a line? when I press enter key, the pointer moves to the next cell. Hi I would check your printer driver for your first problem. How does it look on Print Preview? For your second question, use Alt Enter and this will insert a carriage return into the cell. -- Andy. "thomas brown" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:35c101c42944$...