performance , speed and portability of VC++.NET and VC++ 6.0

hi all,
       I'm writing because I haven't been able to find enough
information at the
book stores and at the MS web site on some of my questions.  Perhaps
I'm
asking the wrong questions, but if you could help me out here, I'd
really
appreciate it.
        Iam a project trainee. I have to give an presentation over the
topic, For engineering applications, whether VC++ 6.0 is more suitable
than other .NET or not. For that i need to know about the performance,
portability etc.,

sincerely,
Bhargav

0
bhag281 (7)
7/31/2006 8:13:59 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

>         Iam a project trainee. I have to give an presentation over the
> topic, For engineering applications, whether VC++ 6.0 is more suitable
> than other .NET or not.

What does this mean? Are you comparing managed and unmanaged C++ or is
simply comparison of performance of unmanaged code between two
compilers. What does ".Net" mean to you and your audience?

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
7/31/2006 1:42:30 PM
bhag wrote:

> hi all,
>        I'm writing because I haven't been able to find enough
> information at the
> book stores and at the MS web site on some of my questions.  Perhaps
> I'm
> asking the wrong questions, but if you could help me out here, I'd
> really
> appreciate it.
>         Iam a project trainee. I have to give an presentation over the
> topic, For engineering applications, whether VC++ 6.0 is more suitable
> than other .NET or not. For that i need to know about the performance,
> portability etc.,
>
> sincerely,
> Bhargav

Bhargav:

please do not post the same message to multiple groups. You have replies in

microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc

David Wilkinson
0
no-reply8010 (1791)
7/31/2006 4:26:02 PM
The question is ill-formed.  This is a common misconception, that somehow the ".NET" name
means there is some kind of magic that moves MFC programs into another realm.

It ain't magic, its technology.

MFC is MFC is MFC.  Other than minor details like VS6 is unsupported, it was the last
decent IDE that Microsoft produced.  But MFC for VS.NET is a substantial improvement over
MFC in VS6 in a number of ways, and the C++ compiler that comes with .NET is a significant
improvement over the VS6 compiler.

".NET" is not technology at all; it is a marketing label designed to confuse people.  It
has a lot of interesting technology under that marketing label, which is often extremely
confusing, because at various points Microsoft has represented one or more of these
technologies as being ".NET".  Managed code?  Common language runtime?  XML? Those are
just a few of the technologies that represent .NET.

MFC remains MFC.  It's just a bunch of libraries that make GUI programming easier.

Managed Code and the Common Language Runtime is another technology.  This is what some
people think about when they hear ".NET", but it is merely one of the many technologies
branded with that label.  You can write an MFC application that uses the CLR and managed
code.

However, you have used some really vague terms here, which are pretty meaningless unless
you put them into a context.  For example, "portability".  Portability to what?  Without
defining what you mean by "portability", the word is just so much noise.  Portability to
PDAs?  Portable to linux [see www.mainsoft.com]?  Without specifying what you want to
"port" to, the word "portability" generally means "can I lift it", and a CD doesn't weigh
much.

"Performance"?  What does that mean?  No, don't tell me it means CPU clock cycles.  That's
a pretty meaningless measure of performance also.  Performance is always relative to a
context.  For example, how long does it take to respond to a mouse click?  It doesn't
matter if your MFC app is ten times slower than a native Win32 app with the same user
interface--we're taking less than a millisecond in either case.  What about inner loops of
DSP algorithms?  Well, in that case, native-code MFC is going to beat most alternatives.
In between these two extremes, it's negotiable, and you need to define what you want.
Performance also means "compared to".  Compared to what?  VB?  Delphi?  Don't compare it
to VS6, because both compilers generate code that is very close, so that's pretty
meaningless.  Or do you mean using managed code vs. native code?

Note that I'm sure there are answers to these questions, but without a specific question
to ask, there are no specific answers to give.

But the key here is that VS6 is now a dead technology.  It is a shame that the new
capabilities of MFC and the C/C++ compiler have been buried in what is probably one of the
worst user interfaces produced by any company in the history of programming environments,
but you can't have everything.
				joe

On 31 Jul 2006 01:13:59 -0700, "bhag" <bhag281@gmail.com> wrote:

>hi all,
>       I'm writing because I haven't been able to find enough
>information at the
>book stores and at the MS web site on some of my questions.  Perhaps
>I'm
>asking the wrong questions, but if you could help me out here, I'd
>really
>appreciate it.
>        Iam a project trainee. I have to give an presentation over the
>topic, For engineering applications, whether VC++ 6.0 is more suitable
>than other .NET or not. For that i need to know about the performance,
>portability etc.,
>
>sincerely,
>Bhargav
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)

[ANN] New MathType 6.6 brings math support to over 350 applications and websites
Hi, I know many of you are already MathType users, so I wanted to let you know about yesterday's release of MathType 6.6 for Windows. This new release features handwritten math input via mouse, tablet, or touchscreen, and compatibility with over 350 applications and websites, including Google Docs, Gmail, and WordPress. Our goal is for MathType to eventually work with all applications and websites used by students, teachers, professors, elearning authors, scientists, and engineers. Visit our "Works With ..." web application at http://www.dessci.com/en/products/MathTy...

CRM 4.0 Service Provider edition differences
Are there any functional differences between the CRM 4.0 Enterprise Server edition and the Service Provider edition? Or is the difference just with the licensing? Large Enterprises may want to do their own multi-instance, Internet facing deployments, for their international departments. So what do Service Providers get that large Enterprises don't? tj Hi TJ, as far as I know, unlike CRM 3, there are no differences in the codebase between enterprise and service provider editions. So to answer your question, yes, the difference is in licensing. What Service Providers get that large En...

performances
performances Hi, I am writing c++ application in vc++ 6 the application use a lot of cpu processing (math calculations), I am running the application on Win-XP, p-4 2.8 HT! What is the best way to compile my application so it will run faster? What are the best ways to write or build my application for faster running? What i the different betwine processor type Blend* inn the C/C++ tab of the project setting and the other option??? Thanks! "Dave" <dbg@012.net.il> wrote in message news:eY8jUE38EHA.3756@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > performances > > Hi, > I am wr...

If Any one have crm 3.0 installation and config certification dumps
Hi Folks , If Any one have crm 3.0 installation and config certification dumps , Please post it or send to krishnaATgmail.com Thanks Kris ...

After Upgrade to CRM 3.0 cannot send email (urgent)
Hi all, i completed upgrade the crm 1.2 to crm 3.0. but now my crm 3.0 cannot send email. i can't find any error msg in event viewer. i suspect is when i key in exchange server name not correct. have any way to check exchange server i key in it is correct or not. or change the exchange name without uninstall crm 3.0 therefore, have anyone can give some tips to solve the problem? any help will be greatly apprieated. Thank you regards, Ng Ng, You could try to run the setup again and choose the 'repair' option. This let's you set the exchange server and SMTP server a...

Smartlist Builder 9.0
I give up!! Where exactly can I get the software from to install it?? Its not on the v9.0 CD, I cannot find it on Partnersource or on MSDN. We have the reg keys and have installed these but no code. Help!! Mike Mike, SmartList Builder is part of the core install for GP 9.0...if you didn't install it when you originally installed GP 9.0, you can add it using Add/Remove Features from the installation CD. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP "Mike Kolling" <mfro93@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message news:voidndjv1d_Cdn_ZRVnygw@pipex.net... >I give up!! > > W...

PRODUCT KEY #6
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I just purchased a new macbook for my son and am trying to load the microsoft office mac and i am not sure what product key numbers to use it won't take what is on the package. On 4/20/08 4:27 46PM, in article ee9908b.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "cuttup@officeformac.com" <cuttup@officeformac.com> wrote: > I just purchased a new macbook for my son and am trying to load the microsoft > office mac and i am not sure what product key numbers to use it won't take > what is on the package. When you install yo...

ANN: EXSLT.NET 1.0
Hello! On behalf EXSLT.NET team I'm glad to announce the first release of EXSLT.NET library. EXSLT.NET library is free open source implementation of EXSLT [1] extensions to XSLT written in C# for .NET platform. EXSLT.NET fully implements the following EXSLT modules: Dates and Times, Common, Math, Regular Expressions, Sets and Strings. In addition EXSLT.NET provides proprietary set of useful extension functions. Download EXSLT.NET 1.0 release at [2]. Features: - 62 supported EXSLT extension functions - 8 proprietary extension functions - Support for XSLT multiple output via exsl:documen...

Replace blank fields with 0
I have some blank spaces in the report. I would like to fill these blanks with a 0. This is like replacing blank fields with a 0. I have tried using Null functions and etc... but is not working properly. I would appreciate if anyone can help me out. Thanks in advance. Mahadevan Swamy From a user standpoint, it isn't clear whether a "blank" field contains a Null or contains a zero-length string. But if there really isn't anything in the field, why put a zero (0) there? In some contexts, zero actually means something... Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP &l...

Handle under Visual C++.NET
Hi, I have some problem to retrieve handle of window under VC++.NET. Under VC++ 6, i could use hWnd which was corresponding to my Application... however under .NET i didn't find a such thing... could you help me please ? thanks, Maileen As far as I know, there is no difference. There are some issues of managed code, but even C# has a way to retrieve a raw handle. Your description is a bit vague, because window handles are not applications; did you mean that you want the handle for the mainframe of your application? joe On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:36:30 +0100, Maileen <nospam@nospam....

vba macro to perform custom reporting -transpose from rows to columns
I have one workbook and two sheets 1 sheet has data for automated test scenarios that may be run up to 3 time if they don't pass on the first or second try Sheet1: TestSet Test Result reason if failed 1 pass 2 pass 3 pass 4 fail x 4 fail y 4 fail z I want to create a summary report that looks like Sheet2 for the Sheet1 logs above test run1 result test run2 result test run 3result Sheet2 Testset result1 result2 result3 1 pass 2 pass 3 pass 4 fail fail fail So if a testset is executed more ...

Importing ACT! 6.0 data into Outlook 2002
I have a large data base of contacts in ACT! 6.0 that I now want to import into Outlook 2002. The IMPORT feature of my Outlook does not have a selection for ACT data. How do I accomplish this? What formats does Act 6 support for export? Select one of those and then try importing into Outlook. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Tom K asked: | I have a lar...

.Net and Excel
I've been asked to create an application that will import an Excel spreadsheet into a SQL Server database. I've created SQL Server DTS packages to import the data before, so I know that can be done. What I'd like to be able to do is display an Excel spreadsheet on a .Net web form, with the thought that the user could then copy/paste info into it. Has anyone attempted something similar? Thanks. Bill ...

Automate Powerpoint from a VC++ application
I am generating a powperpoint presentation from my VC++ application. I would like to be able to import my .rtf file into this powerpoint presentation, is there a way to do that? What I do now is read the file into a buffer & call on the TextRange textrange; object textrange.SetText(strBuff) - but that also writes out the .rtf saved format I only want it to write out the text in the format it was saved in, so my question is how do I write out a .rtf file to powerpoint. Thank you? Some of this info is a little dated, but I think most of it still works: http://support.microsof...

Shared Workbooks #6
Hi I am using the sharing facilty to enable multiple simultaneous editing access to a workbook. The problem that I want to solve is that the workbook always seems to open in "thiswork.saved = false" mode i.e. the workbook always prompts the user to save when closing even if no changes have been made. Apart form using VB* (which is my curent workaround), is there a solution to this? Thanks Tim * the reason I want o avoid Vb is that I am tryiing to eliminate extra steps and including VB would mean users get the "enable macros" screen each time they open it - and outr IT...

CRM 3.0
When installing 3.0, you specify the outbound e-mail settings (xch server, smtp settings, etc). Anyone know where the CRM stashes this information? I'd like to be able to modify it without having to repair the CRM installation. Thanks in advance. Dave in the registry on the crm web server hkey_local_machine/software/microsoft/mscrm ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Dave Ireland" <direland@salentica.com> wrote in message news:OPRBx5ELGHA.984@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > When installing 3.0, yo...

Optimization on FileReading in VC++
Hi, I am working with File reading in VC++. I am reading a log file which has around 1 lakh records. I have to read each record and filter them based on some options and display them on the UI. The problem that I am facing is that it takes enormous amount of time to read so many records. I am using CStdIOFile for reading. Can any one please help me with some optimization techniques that will speed up my reading process. Thanks Madhavi. ...

Can Integration Manager 9.0 accept negative values
I heard that IM 9.0 the most current version can accept negative values. Can someone confirm this. Also is there anyplace where I can go to view a listing of the new features in this version. All versions of IM accept negative values. Depending on which module you are integrating into, you should be able to access it in your destination mapping area under 'Entries'. For instance, if your destination is GL, under the 'Entries' option, you have to add a source for debit and credit amounts. Under debit, the drop down gives you the option of using a constant, a script, a...

KB for Performance Optimizer trouble
In the process of moving EDB files from a crashed server to a new server built with same name, etc, but different platform (from NT to W2K Sp4) I found the Performance Optimizer would not allow me to move files to different volumes. A quick google search showed because of SP4 I needed to contact Microsoft for the patch but when I called they said I needed the KB article and I searched and searched and even none of the 'MVP' replies saying 'contact microsoft' had the KB number. After having the MS rep hold the line while I was scouring google and retrying the process to get the ...

Business Contact Manager, performance sacrifices?
I'm hoping we can all learn a little about Business Contact Manager... After some initial difficulties that were resolved by 1.5 hours with Microsoft and some great ideas from Patricia Cardoza's new book, I've got Business Contact Manager running smoothly. That's a good thing because I provide support and training in Outlook to clients and want to be able to recommend this new add-on. But is it ready to recommend? Here are two things that seriously bother me: my contacts take so much longer to load and sort. Searching from the "Find a Contact" box formerly t...

Perform function...if?
Hi I have a workbook that I'm continually adding data to daily. and I also have another workbook that I want to perform calculations, but I only want the calculations performed IF there is data in the first workbook... Here are the two formulas the way they are now... ='Stock Return Data'!J24*0.25 ='Stock Return Data'!J24-'Tax Data'!A14 How can I tell both these functions, to only perform if there is data on the original worksheet? Thanks, Confused Man Hi try =IF('Stock Return Data'!J24<>"",'Stock Return Data'!J24*0.25,"&...

E2K3 Performance
My E2K3 server is having an occasional lag time in processing and would like some ideas on where to look at improving performance. 2.4 Xeon processor 1.3 Gb RAM Lot's of disk space Page Files are c: 1920 - 4096 and d: the same (seems incorrect, maybe should be static value?) When checking the running system, CPU is at 4% and pagefile is at 1.64 Gb. It's a low use server, less than 100 mailboxes and a backend to OWA out front. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks. ...

Can't Install CRM Client 3.0 Outlook AddIn
I've installed CRM Client 3.0. When starting Outlook it hung on startup for a few minutes, then it threw this dialog: An error occurred loading Microsoft CRM functionality Try restarting Microsoft Outlook Contact your system administrator if errors persist CRM Menu is present but greyed out. I've tried numerous times to remove and re-add the Addin - I always get the exact same error. (BTW, I tries to register the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM\Client\bin\crmaddin.dll using RegSvr32.exe and got a DLL registration error. Does this indicate a problem? I'd expect a COM add...

iesample performance in CEPC is slow
I have created a CEPC by using Wince 6 and when i browse INTERNET the speed is very slow with compare to standard Windows 7 running X86 machine. (The test carried out in the same machine) . For both case i use the Internet Explorer to browse the net. Is there any method to improve the performance of IE sample browser. Huh? What hardware are you comparing to what hardware? You don't seriously expect a Windows 7 dual-core 3.3GHz processor running 4GB of RAM with a high-performance display chip/driver to be comparable to a 900MHz ATOM processor with 256MB of RAM and a VGA F...

how change title in xml asp.net page?
Hi. I want to spawn a new page and load a xml document from memory. I would like to display this page with the default stylesheet, and nothing else. I would also like to set the title. If anyone could direct me to a code sample it would be much appreciated. Thanks. Adam Smith This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00B2_01C3E9FF.1CD72560 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit 1. you should always procure for a title tag in a "Browser" document. 2. do not shortcut the title's closure = <title/...