Performance analysis

Hi,

my newly created application (a mixture of .net code and C++ Dlls) seems to
soak a lot of processor time - even more than i expected. Now, there might be
a bottleneck in my application but I can't figure out where.
That's why I'm looking for a tool (doesn't matter if commercial or not),
that is...

- able to do performance analysis on .net windows services
- able to both analyse C++- code and .net code
- able to give me exact information about the functions that soak the
processor time (e.g. percentual values)

Does such a tool exist? does anyone have some experience with such tools?

thanks a lot
Peter
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Peter Schmitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my newly created application (a mixture of .net code and C++ Dlls)
> seems to soak a lot of processor time - even more than i expected.
> Now, there might be a bottleneck in my application but I can't figure
> out where.
> That's why I'm looking for a tool (doesn't matter if commercial or
> not), that is...
>
> - able to do performance analysis on .net windows services
> - able to both analyse C++- code and .net code
> - able to give me exact information about the functions that soak the
> processor time (e.g. percentual values)
>
> Does such a tool exist? does anyone have some experience with such
> tools?

I highly recommend VTune from Intel

http://developer.intel.com/software/products/vtune/vpa/index.htm

It's awesome.  It's also $699, but when you need it, my experience has been
that it's worth it.

-cd

In message <A7BD0088-0BEA-4161-A2ED-AF68661B20ED@microsoft.com>, Peter
Schmitz <PeterSchmitz@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
>- able to do performance analysis on .net windows services
>- able to both analyse C++- code and .net code
>- able to give me exact information about the functions that soak the
>processor time (e.g. percentual values)

Performance Validator beta

        http://www.softwareverify.com

Doesn't support .Net at this time. May still be very useful all the
same.

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited    http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk
"Peter Schmitz" <PeterSchmitz@discussions.microsoft.com> ::
> Does such a tool exist? does anyone have some experience with such tools?

Go to http://www.compuware.com and find
DevPartner Profiler Community Edition.

It is for free as a Community Edition.

Greets

--
Mateusz ´┐Żoskot
mateusz (at) loskot (dot) net

0
see9584 (1)
12/19/2004 10:18:37 PM
"Peter Schmitz" <PeterSchmitz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> my newly created application (a mixture of .net code and C++ Dlls) seems
> soak a lot of processor time - even more than i expected. Now, there might
> be
> a bottleneck in my application but I can't figure out where.
> That's why I'm looking for a tool (doesn't matter if commercial or not),
> that is...
>
> - able to do performance analysis on .net windows services
> - able to both analyse C++- code and .net code
> - able to give me exact information about the functions that soak the
> processor time (e.g. percentual values)
>
> Does such a tool exist? does anyone have some experience with such tools?

Hi,

We use a product called GlowCode - it's cheaper than VTune (I, nor Intel's
tech people could get VTune installed, so I can't vouch for its relative
merits, but I'm sure it's very good) and works for mixed mode C++
applications, but I don't know about services. They have a trial at
www.glowcode.com (ignore the really cheesy looking front page). I've found
that its UI could be a bit more intuitive, but we had loads of trouble
tracking down a mixed mode profiler.

Steve

0
Steve
12/20/2004 5:39:23 PM
"Peter Schmitz" <PeterSchmitz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> my newly created application (a mixture of .net code and C++ Dlls) seems
> soak a lot of processor time - even more than i expected. Now, there might
be
> a bottleneck in my application but I can't figure out where.
> That's why I'm looking for a tool (doesn't matter if commercial or not),
> that is...
>
> - able to do performance analysis on .net windows services
> - able to both analyse C++- code and .net code
> - able to give me exact information about the functions that soak the
> processor time (e.g. percentual values)
>
> Does such a tool exist? does anyone have some experience with such tools?

We offer profiler tools.
We don't have one tool that profiles both languages.
We *do* have profiler tools for C++ and C#, that can coexist.

See http://www.semanticdesigns.com/Products/Profilers

--
Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D., CTO   512-250-1018
Semantic Designs, Inc.      www.semdesigns.com

0
idbaxter (1)
1/1/2005 8:23:44 PM
"Peter Schmitz" <PeterSchmitz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A7BD0088-0BEA-4161-A2ED-AF68661B20ED@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> my newly created application (a mixture of .net code and C++ Dlls) seems to
> soak a lot of processor time - even more than i expected. Now, there might be
> a bottleneck in my application but I can't figure out where.
> That's why I'm looking for a tool (doesn't matter if commercial or not),
> that is...
>
> - able to do performance analysis on .net windows services
> - able to both analyse C++- code and .net code
> - able to give me exact information about the functions that soak the
> processor time (e.g. percentual values)
>
> Does such a tool exist? does anyone have some experience with such tools?
>
> thanks a lot
> Peter

The C/C++ Program Perfometer at http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpp-perfometer/ is an open source tool which enables the programmer
to measure the comparative performance of a C/C++ program or of separated pieces of code by one of several desired metrics: e.g.,
time, memory, or metrics defined by the programmer.
Newsgroups:
* http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.c++.perfometer
* news://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.c++.perfometer
* http://groups-beta.google.com/group/perfo

--
 Alex Vinokur
     http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn

0
alexvn1 (6)

performances
performances Hi, I am writing c++ application in vc++ 6 the application use a lot of cpu processing (math calculations), I am running the application on Win-XP, p-4 2.8 HT! What is the best way to compile my application so it will run faster? What are the best ways to write or build my application for faster running? What i the different betwine processor type Blend* inn the C/C++ tab of the project setting and the other option??? Thanks! "Dave" <dbg@012.net.il> wrote in message news:eY8jUE38EHA.3756@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > performances > > Hi, > I am wr...

vba macro to perform custom reporting -transpose from rows to columns
I have one workbook and two sheets 1 sheet has data for automated test scenarios that may be run up to 3 time if they don't pass on the first or second try Sheet1: TestSet Test Result reason if failed 1 pass 2 pass 3 pass 4 fail x 4 fail y 4 fail z I want to create a summary report that looks like Sheet2 for the Sheet1 logs above test run1 result test run2 result test run 3result Sheet2 Testset result1 result2 result3 1 pass 2 pass 3 pass 4 fail fail fail So if a testset is executed more ...

KB for Performance Optimizer trouble
In the process of moving EDB files from a crashed server to a new server built with same name, etc, but different platform (from NT to W2K Sp4) I found the Performance Optimizer would not allow me to move files to different volumes. A quick google search showed because of SP4 I needed to contact Microsoft for the patch but when I called they said I needed the KB article and I searched and searched and even none of the 'MVP' replies saying 'contact microsoft' had the KB number. After having the MS rep hold the line while I was scouring google and retrying the process to get the ...

Business Contact Manager, performance sacrifices?
I'm hoping we can all learn a little about Business Contact Manager... After some initial difficulties that were resolved by 1.5 hours with Microsoft and some great ideas from Patricia Cardoza's new book, I've got Business Contact Manager running smoothly. That's a good thing because I provide support and training in Outlook to clients and want to be able to recommend this new add-on. But is it ready to recommend? Here are two things that seriously bother me: my contacts take so much longer to load and sort. Searching from the "Find a Contact" box formerly t...

Perform function...if?
Hi I have a workbook that I'm continually adding data to daily. and I also have another workbook that I want to perform calculations, but I only want the calculations performed IF there is data in the first workbook... Here are the two formulas the way they are now... ='Stock Return Data'!J24*0.25 ='Stock Return Data'!J24-'Tax Data'!A14 How can I tell both these functions, to only perform if there is data on the original worksheet? Thanks, Confused Man Hi try =IF('Stock Return Data'!J24<>"",'Stock Return Data'!J24*0.25,"&...

E2K3 Performance
My E2K3 server is having an occasional lag time in processing and would like some ideas on where to look at improving performance. 2.4 Xeon processor 1.3 Gb RAM Lot's of disk space Page Files are c: 1920 - 4096 and d: the same (seems incorrect, maybe should be static value?) When checking the running system, CPU is at 4% and pagefile is at 1.64 Gb. It's a low use server, less than 100 mailboxes and a backend to OWA out front. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks. ...

iesample performance in CEPC is slow
I have created a CEPC by using Wince 6 and when i browse INTERNET the speed is very slow with compare to standard Windows 7 running X86 machine. (The test carried out in the same machine) . For both case i use the Internet Explorer to browse the net. Is there any method to improve the performance of IE sample browser. Huh? What hardware are you comparing to what hardware? You don't seriously expect a Windows 7 dual-core 3.3GHz processor running 4GB of RAM with a high-performance display chip/driver to be comparable to a 900MHz ATOM processor with 256MB of RAM and a VGA F...

Chart Point Analysis
Does anyone know of a method for analysing points on a line chart that I have created? I have a chart with 30point on its, and a line plotted along the middle which is the average of the 30 readings. I have to use the following rules to check the chart, looking for the following conditions. 1. 7 points or more in a row on one side (above or below) the average 2. 7 points in a row that are constantly decreasing no matter where they fall in relation to the average. 3. 7 points in a row that are constantly increasing no matter where they fall in relation to the average. 4. Do 2/3rds of ...

Data Analysis
I added Analysis ToolPak from the Add-Ins but it still does not list Data Analysis under the tools. Can anyone help? It is not clear what steps you have taken. You must - install the Analysis ToolPak from CD - select it as an active Add-In by checking "Analysis ToolPak" under Tools|Add-Ins - With recent versions you may still need to expand the menu (click on the double down arrow at the bottom) to see menu items that have not been used recently Jerry cjfidler wrote: > I added Analysis ToolPak from the Add-Ins but it still does not list Data > Analysis under th...

Excel performance slowly
Dear All, We have a license for MS office XP professional but anybody have a problem like us. It's very slow in network when we use a icon tools bar or pooldown menu function. We upgrade our Office XP version to service pack 3 ready. Some computers in our factory have a problem like slowly but some have not. We does not know how to solve this problem. Best Regards, Songphan C. IT Manager MPO ASIA Co.,LTD. songphan@mpoasia.com Hi only some general ideas: - clear the temp directory, reboot and try again - virus scanner could cause this behaviour -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, ...

Perform
Hi; I want to implement a Special Upgrade against one of my company database (I have 16 company database) but I received the error while doing upgrade. I need to run Perform Special Upgrade because I found that one of the stored procedure is not there "glpCreatePostingActivity" on a new created company. I found a red "X" on the company selection in Great Plains Utility. How to fix? ...

query performance inconsistence
I put a query on two seperate query windows and both connect to the same SQL server. I ran it individually. One is running less than 3 secs and the other one is taking > 20 secs. The execution plan is a bit different. The obvious different one in the execution plan is that the one that is running faster is using parallism. The confusion part for me is that it is the same query running on the same server but on two different connections. Can this be possible? I am very puzzled. The server is running SQL 2005 sp3 std. od -- Message posted via SQLMonster.com http://...

Performance down
In Microsoft Outlook 2002, I tried the journalling and the performance went down drastically. Just to open or preview a single mail message of hardly 1 KB it consumes 4 to 5 seconds. The same situation continues even after removing the auto-journalling. I am totally frustrated as it takes 15 to 30 mins just to browse through 20 mails every morning. Can someone help me out to troubleshoot? Thanks in advance. ...

You dont have appropriate permission to perform this operation.
In Outlook 2003 when I click on send and recieve it gaves me following error message: "You dont have appropriate permission to perform this operation." Please help Try checking the properties of the following files: outlook.srs, outlook.dat and views.dat. These files are located in: c:\document & settings\<Username>\application data\microsoft\outlook see if those files are set to read-only and, if they are, remove the read-only attribute. Post back on the outcome. "Khalid" <Khalid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53719C3A-BBDC-47EE-...

Serialization performance
We're seeing long load (and save) times when serializing MFC object collections. As an example, a 6MB file is taking 30secs to load on a fast machine and we're wondering what sort of tricks were available to optimize this. Details are below. We're using an MFC typed ptr array, declared inside our collection class as shown below. >>> template<class T> class CMyCollection { public: CTypedPtrArray <CObArray, T*> array; }; <<< To load the collection, we're calling the Serialize method of the typed ptr array as shown below....

Poor performance after RMS 2.0 upgrade?
I recently upgraded my enterpirse to RMS 2.0. Some of my shops have a single register hosting the database and running Store Ops (and HQ client). At these shops, i'm experiencing VERY slow performance. Doing a 'set customer' takes maybe 30 seconds (about 50,000 customers in the database). These machines are 1ghz, 512MB. My best guess is that its the SQL 2005 Express sucking a lot of RAM where we didn't have as much trouble with 1.3 and MSDE where performance was fine. Anyone else running into this problem? At one site I have a dedicated SQL server I can move the RMS ...

Analysis Cubes
Hi, I have setup and installed Analysis Cubes i.e run server install, run jobs e.t.c Now when I try and setup a new definition ID in Dynamics GP, when I save my definition, I get the following errro: unhandled object exception: Class not registered Any ideas of how to resolve? -- Thanks guys:) Neillin ...

Ram performance
Hi, I am using laptop with core 2 duo 2ghz intel processor with 2gb ram. I have a couple of question about RAM performance. Though having 2GB RAM why paging of file is used in task manager? if no application is running then system should not use paging, right? When I use virtual machines system becomes very slow and processor starts working very fast, does it mean the system requires more RAM for virtual machines? Pls advice Thanks in advance Regards, Aniruddha Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice JavaScript - IFRAME Forms IE/NS http://www.eggh...

Performance?
Hello - Now that you guys have used the beta but still have the memory of Wave 3 to compare against. How is the beta performance? Did you notice anything that was faster? Any thing that was slow? Thank you, Geoff Clark Message sent using Windows Live Mail I honestly can't tell any difference in speed or response time. It does seem to take more clicks to get anything done, but I'm learning to put my most frequently used commands on the QAT, thereby doing an end run around the ribbon interface. :-) Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "Geoff Clark (MSFT)&...

Charting Investment Management Performance Versus Peers
Does anyone know how to create a combo floating/stacked bar chart in Excel, like this: http://www.pertrac2000.com/images/peerchart.gif Thank you. Thank you so much, Max. "Max" <demechanik@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eGLwOljaDHA.1488@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Try MVP Jon Peltier's "Stacked Column Charts that Cross the X Axis" at: > http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/StackedColumnsAboveAndBelow > .html Thank you so much, Max. //tim you're welcome, Tim! ...

New Folder in Navigation Pain will not allow you to perform a
If I add a New Folder in the Navigation Panel, I am unable to perform a Rename. The idea is to organize the panel with a "Windows Shortcut" folder and then add additional series folders and window shortcuts within this but the initial folder that should be "Windows Shortcuts" will not allow a rename to occur, so I end up with just a folder "New Folder". ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. ...

no performance gain after indexing
Hi. I'm running Exchange 2003 SP1 in a cluster environment. I recently implemented full tex indexing in a public folder that contains our firm contact's info (26k records), but I don't see any performance burst while doing searches. The index is availabel for everyone to use and it is updated every night. I did notice that the indexer file is only 1 MB in size. Am I missing something here? Regards, -- Elvyn Gutierrez Pellerano & Herrera MIS/Lan Manager ...

Operation cannot be performed error in Money 2004
I am using Money 2004 Deluxe and when I start money at the passport screen after clicking next, I get a message that says that the operation cannot be performed. I tried to repair the file but this did not work. Does anyone have any ideas what this problem might be?? Thank You See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q104. "Matthew" <mhodges1338@optonline.net> wrote in message news:Pfbwb.20195$Hb.7211828@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net... > I am using Money 2004 Deluxe and when I start money at the passport screen > after clicking next, I get a message that says that the operation...

Discount analysis
I am trying to analyze how we are discounting in a given month. How do I query in the database for the following? 1. % of items sold at discount from regular price 2. Average discount % I would also like to see the above broken down by supplier. I only use Regular Price and Sale Price. Sammm, There are a couple of discount reports available in the Reports Library, but they do not do what you are asking, they just provide a Total Discount. In order to the information you are looking for you are going to have to customize one of the reports. If SQL and coding make you nervous, maybe so...

Performance.
Hi all, The companny is thinking about implement Great Plains. I want to know about the performance and availability of GP. We have SQlServer 2k. Thank you. S.L. If you want to assure yourself of good performance, I would utilize the hardware requirements for the type of installation you will have. Typically, the SQL Server will have dual processors and at least a RAID 5 for the data drives. The server requirements will ensure the posting processes are fast. The clients are very fat and you do want snappy workstations with fast ethernet connections. Great Plains utilizes what they call a...