OT - Debug Windows EXE

Hi Guys,

Sorry about the offtopic message.

I have an old exe (16 bit). Don't have the source. I want to step throught
the exe. I tried loading it in VS 2003 and even 4.1 but couldn't get it to
do it.

I remember doing that with exe's back in DOS days. Opening the exe in TASM
and stepping through the exe.

Does anyone know of a program that will let me do this?

Ali

0
AliR3470 (3235)
5/12/2006 7:30:08 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"AliR" <AliR@online.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> Sorry about the offtopic message.
>
> I have an old exe (16 bit). Don't have the source. I want to step throught
> the exe. I tried loading it in VS 2003 and even 4.1 but couldn't get it to
> do it.
>
> I remember doing that with exe's back in DOS days. Opening the exe in TASM
> and stepping through the exe.
>
> Does anyone know of a program that will let me do this?

I just opened a DOS box, and typed "debug" -- and it ran!  I just debug.exe
is still shipped with Windows XP.  You could use it (it is *old*, and I
don't remember the commands).  Seems like you run "debug <filename.exe>".
Then you get a "-" prompt.  You can tpe "?" for help.
Good luck
DanB

0
Dan
5/12/2006 7:40:52 PM
Hi Dan,

I had tried that, but it says that the window program can't be run under dos
prompt.  I forgot to mention the 16 bit app is a VB application.

AliR.

"Dan Baker" <dbmail> wrote in message
> "AliR" <AliR@online.nospam> wrote in message
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Sorry about the offtopic message.
> >
> > I have an old exe (16 bit). Don't have the source. I want to step
throught
> > the exe. I tried loading it in VS 2003 and even 4.1 but couldn't get it
> > do it.
> >
> > I remember doing that with exe's back in DOS days. Opening the exe in
TASM
> > and stepping through the exe.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a program that will let me do this?
>
> I just opened a DOS box, and typed "debug" -- and it ran!  I just
debug.exe
> is still shipped with Windows XP.  You could use it (it is *old*, and I
> don't remember the commands).  Seems like you run "debug <filename.exe>".
> Then you get a "-" prompt.  You can tpe "?" for help.
> Good luck
> DanB

0
AliR3470 (3235)
5/12/2006 7:48:59 PM
AliR,

  I haven't fired up VS2003 in a while, but at least in VS2005, you can use
the Debug->Attach to process command.  Just run the application, select
attach to process, and then choose the process.  You'll have no high-level
source to step through without the PDB, but you will be able to break
execution, restart, and single-step in assembly.

-Jay Daniel

--
Jay Daniel

"AliR" wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Sorry about the offtopic message.
>
> I have an old exe (16 bit). Don't have the source. I want to step throught
> the exe. I tried loading it in VS 2003 and even 4.1 but couldn't get it to
> do it.
>
> I remember doing that with exe's back in DOS days. Opening the exe in TASM
> and stepping through the exe.
>
> Does anyone know of a program that will let me do this?
>
> Ali

0
JayDaniel (4)
5/12/2006 8:02:02 PM
Thanks Jay,

Assembly is good enough.  I also ran into a VB decompiler that was a bit
helpful as far as reading the code. Now all I have to do is find the address
of the change I need to make and make the change in machine code. (too much
fun) :)

AliR.

"Jay Daniel" <JayDaniel@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> AliR,
>
>   I haven't fired up VS2003 in a while, but at least in VS2005, you can
use
> the Debug->Attach to process command.  Just run the application, select
> attach to process, and then choose the process.  You'll have no high-level
> source to step through without the PDB, but you will be able to break
> execution, restart, and single-step in assembly.
>
> -Jay Daniel
>
> --
> Jay Daniel
>

> "AliR" wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Sorry about the offtopic message.
> >
> > I have an old exe (16 bit). Don't have the source. I want to step
throught
> > the exe. I tried loading it in VS 2003 and even 4.1 but couldn't get it
> > do it.
> >
> > I remember doing that with exe's back in DOS days. Opening the exe in
TASM
> > and stepping through the exe.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a program that will let me do this?
> >
> > Ali

0
AliR3470 (3235)

cannot execute C preprocessor cl.exe 02-23-10
Hello, I got the following compiler error: command line error MIDL1004 : cannot execute C preprocessor cl.exe midl Output: 20>Creating Type Library... 20>Processing .\UnitConverter.idl 20>midl : command line error MIDL1004 : cannot execute C preprocessor cl.exe 20>Build log was saved at "file://v:\MysolutionFoler\MyProjectFoler\DebugU\BuildLog.htm" 20>UnitConverter - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s) When I Open VS2005 command prompt and run the commmands in BuildLog.htm file the all work fine. But why I got the compiler error when build by VS IDE? Please...

bcm for windows Mobile 5...
I recently bought a SPV M3100 WM5 phone and installed BCM for wm5 on it. However, it all synchronised up ok, and then I set the options to sort them by business rather than name. It hanged the whole system and now, even though I've un-installed it, it won't even run at all now. Any ideas? ...

GP 10.0 Windows Minimizing
Hello: Most of the time, I receive nothing but compliments on the new user interface in GP 10.0. But, a client that is upgrading from 9.0 to 10.0 does not like the new "Windows" interface where all screens are minimized once you click on another screen. They are an insurance processing company and they need customer notes, inquiry, maintenance, and transaction screens to refer to as they are entering data. They do not have Modifier. Is there an ISV out there that will allow windows to "stick" and not be minimized? They also don't like the fact that, when a w...

Streamlining compose window
How do I remove the format bar and the add photos, a/b format, and layout buttons from the compose window? Those apply to HTML format. Switch to Plain Text and they won't show. For the current message, select Format, Plain Text. To set as the default, in Tools (ALT+T), Options, Send set Plain Text as the default for mail and/or news as desired -- Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us "Me" <test@example.com> wrote in message news:#0NK66DoKHA.5508@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > How do I remove the format bar and the add photos, a/b format, and &g...

Windows installer window.
Just installed Office 2003 Pro. Everything works OK except Outlook. Every time I open Outlook a wiindow pops up titled "Windows Installer" saying "Preparing to Install". It pops up twice to fully open the progam (for a second or so each and then once as each Email comes in. Have removed and reinstalled--no help How do I stop this Thanks ...

Problem changing store on Windows Mail
Everything on my Lenovo T61 with Windows Vista Home Premium was working fine until I lost power. Before the loss, Windows Mail was working with the storage location on a Netgear ReadyNAS on my local intranet. After restoring power, the WindowsMail store location was changed some how to the default location on the C drive, of course with no account information or messages. When I try to change the storage location using the "Maintenance - Change Store location" buttons, I browse to the original store location on the ReadyNAS, with the old messages, but the "ok&qu...

Diff between Modal dialog / dialog / popup / window #2
Diff between Modal dialog / dialog / popup / window for min/max/close control status for enabled or disabled and their event... ...

Windows is not currently managing your wireless network
We have two computers in the house, one connected by wire to the router, and one via wireless. Of course they were set up by our kids.... Today I had to unplug all the wires and plug them back in again. Since that time the wireless computer hasn't been able to connect. In START/Connected to/Wireless connections we see the connection we expected. Status - Connected Network - Hunt's Corner Signal Strength - 5 bars When I go to the providers speedtest website we have excellent speed. That all looks good, But if I click the "View Wireless Networks" b...

IE 6 problems on Windows XP + SP2
Hi People, Some users are reclaim that they don't get to view mails image from our OWA. It only happen when the access is from internet. Internally we don't have any problems. After some tests I discovered that it only happens from computers with XP + SP2 installed. Or better, when we try to view the mails images (gif) from a Windows XP without the SP2 the access is normally. The problem does not happen with the IE7 installed, just with IE6 and IE6 +SP1 Any advices? Tks very much -- Elvecio ...

OT...check this out...OT
http://www.escapeyesterworld.com/ try all the controls -- John Inzer Thanks John...pretty nifty. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "John Inzer" <oobie@doobie.xyz> wrote in message news:uuhImG%23mFHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > http://www.escapeyesterworld.com/ > try all the controls > > -- > > John Inzer > > ...

App without visible window / running background
Hello, I have an application that will run in background and won't show a window. I have a dialog, which I use to perform the actions my app needs to do. I've tested my app with the wizard generated InitInstance() method: BOOL CMyApp::InitInstance() { CWinAppEx::InitInstance(); SetRegistryKey(_T("MyCompany")); CMyDlg dlg; m_pMainWnd = &dlg; INT_PTR nResponse = dlg.DoModal(); if (nResponse == IDOK) { // TODO: Place code here to handle when the dialog is // dismissed with OK } else if (nResponse == IDCANCEL) { ...

having trouble with windows mail
The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider. The rejected e-mail address was 'Foreverzetaclassy@live.com'. Subject 'Application Data For Mental Health Worker', Account: 'pop3.aol.com', Server: 'smtp.aol.com', Pr...

Outlook 2007 and Windows 7
After installing Office 2007 on Windows 7 machine, I get no new mail sound, pop up notifications or the new unread mail icon in task bar. Every thing else seems to work fine. Any hints? are the icons in the overflow? -- -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Poll: What v...

Missing windows
Hi Can anyone let me know what I have to do to get the windows back that show's the cell reference for where you are. This has gone missing along with the window that's used to type the formula into Sorry to be a pain on a triviality, but I can't find the answer anywhere TIA Steve View>Formula Bar The cell reference "window" is called the Name Box. Also, you can type formulas into a cell, not only into the formula bar. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:29:57 -0000, "Steve" <sr2000{at}talk21{dot}com> wrote: >Hi > >C...

Window Mail
Please help me to set up Windows Mail to retrive my gmail account I got lost... This newsgroup is for technical discussion of, and questions and answers about, Microsoft Access database software. More than likely, if you lost your account or password, you'll need to contact gmail directly. If your question deals with how to enter account and password information into Windows Mail, you should seek a newsgroup or online forum that deals with Windows Vista or Windows 2010. Larry Linson Microsoft Office Access MVP "Jabez" <olena.jabezfurniture@gmail.com> ...

VC and Cobra and OTS
Hello, Can i use VC to build a project using cobra and OTS to communicate with other UNIX system? Do you mean CORBA? WTH "So Sick" <Sug@sug.com.hk> wrote in message news:OJ6KUh%232DHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Can i use VC to build a project using cobra and OTS to communicate with > other UNIX system? > > > > yes ..... sorry. "WTH" <spamsucks@Ih8it.com> wrote in message news:u09iMT$2DHA.2460@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Do you mean CORBA? > > WTH > > "So Sick" <Sug@sug.com.hk>...

MS Windows XP SP3 with IE 8 Keyboard Issues
I am running a Windows XP w/SP3 workstation utilizing IE8. It is all service packed to current configuration. I have an issue when you type the address in IE 8 that the first character is always double typed. In addition when typing one character another is actually printed on screen both in IE 8 and in chat programs. When the screen saver comes on or in Remote Desktop and trying to type a password after a period of time the keyboard strokes are not what characters I am typing, it starts from the top row of the keyboard and progress down the line. Has anyone seen this issue as...

Windows Live Mail sometimes opening news message windows larger than maximized
When I open news messages in Windows Live Mail, they are sometimes larger than maximized (even though they aren't maximized). If they were much larger, I wouldn't even be able to see the title bar (Yes, I do know the keyboard shortcuts to minimize, maximize, restore, etc. if the title bar were off my screen). No windows from other programs open to this size or have this problem, and it is always the exact same size that they open to. The best pattern I have been able to see is once I maximize the message window after it opens to a larger than maximized size, none of the o...

OT
OT - OFF - TOPIC Hola amig@s; El gobierno Colombiano en su continuo inter�s de ofrecer oportunidades acad�micas y profesionales a todos sus habitantes y a todos los interesados en capacitaci�n ha preparado una de las mejores plataformas de educaci�n virtual, con cursos virtuales "certificados" con cero costo. Los invito a visitar la WEB del Servicio nacional de Aprendizaje, nacionales o extranjeros pueden acceder a una de las plataformas educativas gratuitas mejor estructuradas y pagadas por todos los Colombianos. Hay cursos de inform�tica, office, outlook , cursos de Excel...

OT...Ping...Brian Kvalheim...OT
Hey...Brian... Check your e-mail. If you didn't receive anything from me...give me a current address. -- John Inzer Hmmmm you didn't send me anything John Inzer wrote: || Hey...Brian... || || Check your e-mail. || || If you didn't receive anything from || me...give me a current address. || || -- || || John Inzer Did not receive anything. I am at bkvalheim@hotmail.com -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "��MS-Publisher��" wrote: >...

ot question
except for being something i need to do in an mfc app i'm working on this doesn't really have anything to do with mfc.... but its as bad a place to start as any other group i watch. i need a kind of generic algorithm to take an array of 3d points that describe a surface, then given two coordinates of another point interpolate the third coordinate on the surface. picture it like you have a set of random latitude, longitude and elevation points, then want to find the elevation of any given latitude and longitude coordinate. (over a small area, don't worry about spherical earth and...

WinForm
Hi, I've a windows application that i programmed few years ago (with Visual Studio 2005), and used it on XP for few years, I moved now to Windows 7 and I noticed that some colors are not the same on the two OS. Is it possible to make sure my application will look the same both on XP and Windows 7? Thanks, Gidi. On 2010-01-17, Gidi <shnapsi@hotmail.com.dontspam> wrote: > Hi, > > I've a windows application that i programmed few years ago (with Visual > Studio 2005), and used it on XP for few years, I moved now to Windows 7 and I > noticed that ...

Windows 2003 service pack -- impact on Exchange?
Anyone have any experiences to report on installing Windows 2003 service pack 1 on an exchange (2003) server? Lynne.Seamans@millersville.edu Millersville University Postmaster & Operating Systems Manager Had no issues myself so far. You could run in an issue if you install the Security Control Wizard which is shipped with SP1 but needs to be installed in a separate step as described here: http://www.exchangeinbox.com/articles/003/sp1scw.htm If you are installing on Dell PowerEdge, check this out: http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/power/ps2q05-20050113-Callaway.pdf And if you a...

Kind of OT, kind of not OT
As some of you know, I used to work for a major computer manufacturer. Well, earlier today I stopped to see some of the people I used to work with in a neighboring town. While I was there, one of the employees was going to deal with a customer issue. He had ordered Office (not sure which version) on Jan 28 and was chewing everyone's butt out stating he STILL hadn't received it. He'd called the tech support department and the local presence and bitched at everyone. After doing some double-checking, the young woman found his receipt and apparently she remembered this customer. She ...

Windows Service using MFC
Reading the MFC docs, it states that using MFC inside a service is a bad idea. From the MSDN Library: "Although it is possible to build a Windows service using pieces of MFC, you will need to be very careful about which pieces you use." Does anyone know, which MFC pieces would be safe to use inside a service? Current, we have a service that uses some of the non-window classes i.e. CString, threading/synchronization classes, data structures classes (arrays/maps) Thanks It's okay to use MFC in the service program itself - just not when you are administering the service. Any ...