Official name of File Folder Drop Down

What is the official generic name of the file folder dropdown list box that is
on the CFileDialog?

0
NoSpam8358 (375)
1/11/2007 5:01:27 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

What is an "official generic name"?  If I knew what you were asking for, I could probably
answer the question.

It looks like a combo box, but that doesn't mean it is one.
						joe

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:01:27 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote:

>What is the official generic name of the file folder dropdown list box that is
>on the CFileDialog?

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15973)
1/11/2007 7:18:14 PM
I think this is done with a CombBoxEx.

Tom

> What is an "official generic name"?  If I knew what you were asking for, I
> could probably
> answer the question.
>
> It looks like a combo box, but that doesn't mean it is one.
> joe
>
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:01:27 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com>
> wrote:
>
>>What is the official generic name of the file folder dropdown list box
>>that is
>>on the CFileDialog?
>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

tserface (3860)
1/12/2007 2:10:23 AM
It is Folder Name ListBox or File Directory List or something like this. I can't
find it in the documentation any more.

"Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com> wrote in message
>I think this is done with a CombBoxEx.
>
> Tom
>
> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>> What is an "official generic name"?  If I knew what you were asking for, I
>> could probably
>> answer the question.
>>
>> It looks like a combo box, but that doesn't mean it is one.
>> joe
>>
>> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:01:27 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>What is the official generic name of the file folder dropdown list box that
>>>is
>>>on the CFileDialog?
>>>
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com

NoSpam8358 (375)
1/12/2007 2:16:06 AM
If it was called Folder Name ListBox or File Directory List, I don't think it was ever in
the documentation.
				joe

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:16:06 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote:

>It is Folder Name ListBox or File Directory List or something like this. I can't
>find it in the documentation any more.
>
>"Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com> wrote in message
>>I think this is done with a CombBoxEx.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>>> What is an "official generic name"?  If I knew what you were asking for, I
>>> could probably
>>> answer the question.
>>>
>>> It looks like a combo box, but that doesn't mean it is one.
>>> joe

>>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>>> Web: http://www.flounder.com
>>> MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15973)
1/12/2007 6:44:30 AM
I may be confused about which control we're talking about.  I was thinking
about the one at the top of the screen that displays the folder tree for the
"Look in" information.  I think this control in Explorer is one of the
reasons they created control that is fronted by MFC CComboBoxEx.  I thought
Peter was looking for the type of control.  It's also used in Explorer to
show addresses and histor.

Tom

> If it was called Folder Name ListBox or File Directory List, I don't think
> it was ever in
> the documentation.
> joe
>
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:16:06 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com>
> wrote:
>
>>It is Folder Name ListBox or File Directory List or something like this. I
>>can't
>>find it in the documentation any more.
>>
>>"Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com> wrote in message
>>>I think this is done with a CombBoxEx.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>
>>> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message

> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

tserface (3860)
1/12/2007 3:02:40 PM
Spy++ reveals the type of that control as ComboBox, so it is an owner-draw combo box.
ComboBoxEx is just a superclass written in terms of ComboBox, and is entirely an artifice.
					joe

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 07:02:40 -0800, "Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com> wrote:

>I may be confused about which control we're talking about.  I was thinking
>about the one at the top of the screen that displays the folder tree for the
>"Look in" information.  I think this control in Explorer is one of the
>reasons they created control that is fronted by MFC CComboBoxEx.  I thought
>Peter was looking for the type of control.  It's also used in Explorer to
>show addresses and histor.
>
>Tom

>> If it was called Folder Name ListBox or File Directory List, I don't think
>> it was ever in
>> the documentation.
>> joe
>>
>> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:16:06 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>It is Folder Name ListBox or File Directory List or something like this. I
>>>can't
>>>find it in the documentation any more.
>>>
>>>"Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com> wrote in message

>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15973)
1/12/2007 3:27:57 PM
I think a ComboBoxEx is a combo box that just has images and "tree"
capabilities.

Tom

> Spy++ reveals the type of that control as ComboBox, so it is an owner-draw
> combo box.
> ComboBoxEx is just a superclass written in terms of ComboBox, and is
> entirely an artifice.
> joe
>
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 07:02:40 -0800, "Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I may be confused about which control we're talking about.  I was thinking
>>about the one at the top of the screen that displays the folder tree for
>>the
>>"Look in" information.  I think this control in Explorer is one of the
>>reasons they created control that is fronted by MFC CComboBoxEx.  I
>>thought
>>Peter was looking for the type of control.  It's also used in Explorer to
>>show addresses and histor.
>>
>>Tom
>>
>>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>>> If it was called Folder Name ListBox or File Directory List, I don't
>>> think
>>> it was ever in
>>> the documentation.
>>> joe
>>>
>>> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:16:06 -0600, "Peter Olcott"
>>> <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com>

>>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>>> Web: http://www.flounder.com
>>> MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

tserface (3860)
1/12/2007 4:06:53 PM
>I may be confused about which control we're talking about.  I was thinking
>about the one at the top of the screen that displays the folder tree for the
>"Look in" information.  I think this control in Explorer is one of the reasons
>they created control that is fronted by MFC CComboBoxEx.  I thought Peter was
>looking for the type of control.  It's also used in Explorer to show addresses
>and histor.
>
> Tom

Yes and it seems to be called DlgDirList.

> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>> If it was called Folder Name ListBox or File Directory List, I don't think it
>> was ever in
>> the documentation.
>> joe
>>
>> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:16:06 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>It is Folder Name ListBox or File Directory List or something like this. I
>>>can't
>>>find it in the documentation any more.
>>>
>>>"Tom Serface" <tserface@msn.com> wrote in message

>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com

NoSpam8358 (375)
1/12/2007 6:02:36 PM
> >I may be confused about which control we're talking about.  I was thinking
> >about the one at the top of the screen that displays the folder tree for the
> >"Look in" information.  I think this control in Explorer is one of the reasons
> >they created control that is fronted by MFC CComboBoxEx.  I thought Peter was
> >looking for the type of control.  It's also used in Explorer to show addresses
> >and histor.
> >
> > Tom
>
> Yes and it seems to be called DlgDirList.

How did you get this? Whats so official about it? I dont think its one
of the controls in Comctl DLL.

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
1/12/2007 7:18:40 PM
DlgDirList is an API call.  It was used in Win16.  Its output sucks; you can always tell
an amateur by seeing that they used this API.  It gives you a good calibration on the
quality you can expect from the program.  Modern programmers haven't seen it because it
essentially is dead and has been dead since the common controls were created over a decade
ago.
					joe
On 12 Jan 2007 11:18:40 -0800, "Ajay Kalra" <ajaykalra@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> >I may be confused about which control we're talking about.  I was thinking
>> >about the one at the top of the screen that displays the folder tree for the
>> >"Look in" information.  I think this control in Explorer is one of the reasons
>> >they created control that is fronted by MFC CComboBoxEx.  I thought Peter was
>> >looking for the type of control.  It's also used in Explorer to show addresses
>> >and histor.
>> >
>> > Tom
>>
>> Yes and it seems to be called DlgDirList.
>
>How did you get this? Whats so official about it? I dont think its one
>of the controls in Comctl DLL.
>
>---
>Ajay
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15973)
1/12/2007 7:58:52 PM
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> DlgDirList is an API call.  It was used in Win16.  Its output sucks; you can always tell
> an amateur by seeing that they used this API.  It gives you a good calibration on the
> quality you can expect from the program.  Modern programmers haven't seen it because it
> essentially is dead and has been dead since the common controls were created over a decade
> ago.

Good Info. I didnt know what was there before Comctl.dll. I assumed it
was an older version of the same.

---
Ajay

0
ajaykalra (6842)
>> >I may be confused about which control we're talking about.  I was thinking
>> >about the one at the top of the screen that displays the folder tree for the
>> >"Look in" information.  I think this control in Explorer is one of the
>> >reasons
>> >they created control that is fronted by MFC CComboBoxEx.  I thought Peter
>> >was
>> >looking for the type of control.  It's also used in Explorer to show
>> >addresses
>> >and histor.
>> >
>> > Tom
>>
>> Yes and it seems to be called DlgDirList.
>
> How did you get this? Whats so official about it? I dont think its one
> of the controls in Comctl DLL.

Is the name of the Win32 function that must be called to create one.

> ---
> Ajay

0
NoSpam8358 (375)
1/12/2007 10:44:52 PM
So then what is the control that is currently used in all of the File Dialog Box
Look In: drop downs?  Its not a regular drop down because it has Icons and Text.

> DlgDirList is an API call.  It was used in Win16.  Its output sucks; you can
> always tell
> an amateur by seeing that they used this API.  It gives you a good calibration
> on the
> quality you can expect from the program.  Modern programmers haven't seen it
> because it
> essentially is dead and has been dead since the common controls were created
> over a decade
> ago.
> joe

>>> Yes and it seems to be called DlgDirList.
>>
>>How did you get this? Whats so official about it? I dont think its one
>>of the controls in Comctl DLL.
>>
>>---
>>Ajay
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

NoSpam8358 (375)
1/12/2007 10:47:45 PM
Actually, the contents of the combo box being discussed are NOT created by DlgDirList; I
used it back in Win16, and thought it was remarkably ugly at the time.  Try it.
					joe

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:44:52 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote:

>"Ajay Kalra" <ajaykalra@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Yes and it seems to be called DlgDirList.
>>
>> How did you get this? Whats so official about it? I dont think its one
>> of the controls in Comctl DLL.
>
>Is the name of the Win32 function that must be called to create one.
>

>> ---
>> Ajay

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15973)
1/13/2007 1:33:55 AM

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:47:45 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote:

>So then what is the control that is currently used in all of the File Dialog Box
>Look In: drop downs?  Its not a regular drop down because it has Icons and Text.

It's an owner-draw combo box and can have anything it wants to have.  The icons and text
are simply drawn by the WM_DRAWITEM (or in MFC, OnDrawItem) handler.  I did something like
this years ago in a network management system, where double-clicking an element would
expand it to multiple lines, where the multiple lines were actually part of the same
listbox item.  That is, the user saw
[+] [icon] [icon] [timestamp] Message here
[+] [icon][icon] [timestamp] Another message here

went to the display OF THE SAME ITEM
[-] [icon] [icon] [timestamp] Messare here
        [icon] Example of subitem1
        [icon] Example of subitem2
[+] [icon][icon] [timestamp] Another message here

I did this in Win16 in 1993 or so.  It was really easy.

An owner-draw combo box or listbox can show anything it wants, at any time, for any reason
that strikes the fancy of the programmer who wrote the DrawItem handler.  This also
applies to custom-draw elements of a tree control or list control, the contents of a
static control, icons on tab controls, icons and text in header controls, etc., etc.
Pixels are just pixels and the programmer who has control of the pixels is free to put
down any pixels he or she feels like.
						joe
>> DlgDirList is an API call.  It was used in Win16.  Its output sucks; you can
>> always tell
>> an amateur by seeing that they used this API.  It gives you a good calibration
>> on the
>> quality you can expect from the program.  Modern programmers haven't seen it
>> because it
>> essentially is dead and has been dead since the common controls were created
>> over a decade
>> ago.
>> joe

>>>How did you get this? Whats so official about it? I dont think its one
>>>of the controls in Comctl DLL.
>>>
>>>---
>>>Ajay
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15973)
1/13/2007 1:43:48 AM
I need to know the official name of whatever the GUI widget is at the top of
every standard and custom File Open Dialog Box that is labeled with {Look in:}

> Actually, the contents of the combo box being discussed are NOT created by
> DlgDirList; I
> used it back in Win16, and thought it was remarkably ugly at the time.  Try
> it.
> joe
>
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:44:52 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Ajay Kalra" <ajaykalra@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> How did you get this? Whats so official about it? I dont think its one
>>> of the controls in Comctl DLL.
>>
>>Is the name of the Win32 function that must be called to create one.
>>

>>> ---
>>> Ajay
>>>

> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

NoSpam8358 (375)
1/13/2007 1:46:06 AM
Okay thanks.

> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:47:45 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com>
> wrote:
>
>>So then what is the control that is currently used in all of the File Dialog
>>Box
>>Look In: drop downs?  Its not a regular drop down because it has Icons and
>>Text.
>>
> It's an owner-draw combo box and can have anything it wants to have.  The
> icons and text
> are simply drawn by the WM_DRAWITEM (or in MFC, OnDrawItem) handler.  I did
> something like
> this years ago in a network management system, where double-clicking an
> element would
> expand it to multiple lines, where the multiple lines were actually part of
> the same
> listbox item.  That is, the user saw
> [+] [icon] [icon] [timestamp] Message here
> [+] [icon][icon] [timestamp] Another message here
>
> went to the display OF THE SAME ITEM
> [-] [icon] [icon] [timestamp] Messare here
>        [icon] Example of subitem1
>        [icon] Example of subitem2
> [+] [icon][icon] [timestamp] Another message here
>
> I did this in Win16 in 1993 or so.  It was really easy.
>
> An owner-draw combo box or listbox can show anything it wants, at any time,
> for any reason
> that strikes the fancy of the programmer who wrote the DrawItem handler.  This
> also
> applies to custom-draw elements of a tree control or list control, the
> contents of a
> static control, icons on tab controls, icons and text in header controls,
> etc., etc.
> Pixels are just pixels and the programmer who has control of the pixels is
> free to put
> down any pixels he or she feels like.
> joe
>>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>>> DlgDirList is an API call.  It was used in Win16.  Its output sucks; you can
>>> always tell
>>> an amateur by seeing that they used this API.  It gives you a good
>>> calibration
>>> on the
>>> quality you can expect from the program.  Modern programmers haven't seen it
>>> because it
>>> essentially is dead and has been dead since the common controls were created
>>> over a decade
>>> ago.
>>> joe

>>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>>> Web: http://www.flounder.com
>>> MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

NoSpam8358 (375)

Naming ranges
Hi, Can we rename a range name? if yes, How? Is there a site where I can read more about it? To rename a range- Highlight the cells to be named Click on <Insert><Name><Define> Type in the name and click on <OK> To delete the extant name- Click on <Insert><Name><Define> Highlight the name to be deleted Click on <Delete> For additional reading click on F1 and type in define Regards. Bill Ridgeway Computer Solutions "Khalil Handal" <khhandal@stthom.edu> wrote in message news:u3sCq3MhHHA.4416@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi, ...

.xls files opening in IE rather than xls
When opening files downloaded from the web, they are opened in an IE windo rather than the appropriate Office 2003 tool (word, excel, etc.) From a previous post: There's a setting in Windows that you can change. In win98, I can do this: Start Windows Explorer View|Folder Options File Types Tab scroll down to MS Excel Worksheet Select it click the edit button There's an option to "browse in same window". Uncheck it. That's where you can toggle the "confirm open after download", too. How to Configure Internet Explorer to Open Office Documents in the Appr...

Problem with Defined Names
Hi, I have a spreadsheet that I copy a worksheet from the previous week (ie wk39) for use as the current week (ie wk40). Problem is when I have a name defined in wk39 it now travels to wk40. When I look in Insert->Name->Define, all of the previous defines are now defined as =wk40!XX:XX Is there a way to prevent the defines from traveling to a copied worksheet? Thanks, Joe Copy the cells and paste them into a worksheet (don't copy the worksheet itself). But if all you want to do is clean it up, get a Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson) Name Mana...

Outlook Archives Sent folders...
....As emails from me with my name, instead of who they were sent to, this makes it difficult to find email history in this because they all have my username on them .. is there a way to correct this? Thanks in advance for any advice. Did you add the To field to the view?=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Andre" <~remove~a_zavaglia@gfrnutritionals.com> wrote in message = news:%23dP0VEPgFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.g...

Deleting names in the name box
Could someone explain how you delete a name from the name box? When I go to Insert-->Names, paste is the only option available. Thanks. Is it shared? -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "PAL" <PAL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54AA2C6A-57A4-4972-AD8B-2FD935FAFC79@microsoft.com... > Could someone explain how you delete a name from the name box? When I go to > Insert-->Names, paste is the only option available. Thanks. ...

"File In Use" when opening two documents based on the same templat
I've created a template (.dotx) and saved it on our fileserver so that all employees can create documents based on this template. The template contains styles, headers, footer and some standard text. We have now created a couple of documents (.docx) based on this template but if I have a document that’s based on that template open and a colleague of mine opens a different document that is also based on the same template he gets the following message: File In Use xxxxxx.dotx is locked för editing by ‘Henrik’. Do you want to: o Open a Read Only copy o Create a local ...

Query Company Name to last Name
Can anyone help me write a query? I am trying to put the Company Name in as the last name. And maybe, if possible, move first and last name to notes in the customer database. I need to be able to look up transactions by the company name not last names so this is my best option....unless there is another idea out there. Thanks in advance. * BACKUP FIRST * I recommend using the custom text fields in the customer record for the first and last name in this case. Using administartor, run these SQL statements: UPDATE CUSTOMER SET CUSTOMTEXT1 = FIRSTNAME UPDATE CUSTOMER SET CUSTOMTEXT2 = L...

retriving files
please someone help me on this one... I made changes to a saved worksheet and saved it again. But i realised that the changes made were unwanted. So i need to go back to the original saved file. Can this be done? Thanks Usha ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Not unless you have a backup. "usha" <usha.w693c@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:usha.w693c@excelforum-nospam.com... > please someone help me on this one... > &...

It's official!

Auto File Naming Weirdness
When you create a new document and type a few words and then Save, does the file name automatically default to the first word you type? I believe this is what is supposed to happen, but it never happens with me. Every document I create defaults to the file name "�change" It's done this ever since I imported a Word Windows document a number of years ago. It was written in French and had that as its file name. The weirdness has survived Word upgrades, hardware upgrades, OSX upgrades and recreating Normal from scratch more than once. OS: 10.6.2 Word: 12.2.3 ...

convert personal folder file format (97-2002) to outlook 2003 for.
I'm currently having the 97-2002 personal file format and would like to convert it to 2003 format. I've upgraded to Outlook 2003. You cannot convert it; Create a new Outlook 2003 pst-file and move the folders by hand to the new pst-file. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "SkyFox" <SkyFox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B066A2C7-307C-4298-AC68-C929D8D5EC59@microsoft.com... > I'm currently having the 97...

Public folder contacts and permissions
I have a set of folders within the public folders which are contacts some of these have read only access to them. My question is is there a way to take ownership as you do in file directory on a particular contact, i have tried resseting the permissions etc. etc.. Thanks On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:30:05 -0700, MFLR <MFLR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a set of folders within the public folders which are contacts some of >these have read only access to them. > >My question is is there a way to take ownership as you do in file directory >on a particular cont...

How to remove old/deleted folder names from Organize
Hello, Under Tools - Organize - Using folders, how can we delete folder names from the "Move message selected below to" drop-down list? After a while, it becomes full of folders, some of which will have been deleted. It's even worse when a user deletes a folder, then creates a new folder with the same name.... you get two folders in the list with the same name and have to guess which is the correct one! Can't see any obvious way, a Google search hasn't helped so far either. Thanks, - Alan. Alan <bruguy@gmail.com> wrote: > Under Tools - Organize - Using fo...

Help Importing Text File and Getting Right Format
Hi I have a text file that has our customers emails separated by commas. I want to get this list imported into excel with each of the email addresses appearing on a separate row in one column. I tried the import wizard and I get one of two results, all the emails in separate columns. Meaning they all show up in Row A under Column A-ZZZ, or they all show up in Row A Column A. The goal is to get each one in a separate row all under column A. Help is greatly appreciated. Thank you Brandon I'd open the text file in MSWord. Then change all the commas to a paragraph mark Look under the ...

Named properties
Every time a named property is created within a mailbox database event 9873 is fired: Event Type: Information Event Source: MSExchangeIS Event Category: General Event ID: 9873 Date: 1/29/2010 Time: 11:22:32 AM User: N/A Computer: ExchangeServerName Description: A named property has been created for the database "/o=Company AG/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=mailboxservername/cn=Microsoft Private MDB". ID: 0x9954 Named property GUID: 00020386-0000-0000-c000-000000000046 Named property name/ID: x-host The ...

ICS Calendar files
Greetings, I have been working with some Lotus Notes based customers and when they send me an invitation to a meeting it comes in an ICS formatted attachment. If I try to open it it opens in iCal. Is there any way to open these files in Entourage? I can always add a calendar event by hand but it's nice to be able to do it directly from Entourage. This also affects the sending of the reply (acceptance) to the meeting, working in iCal, not in Entourage. Thanks, Ted On 4/8/05 8:56 AM, in article BE7C21FF.30F2%TLandis@databeacon.com, "Ted Landis" <TLandis@databeacon.com> ...

Font size in data validation drop down lists
I am using data validation lists to control user inputs to a spread sheet. How do I change the font size inside the drop down list? I have tried changing the font size on the sheet itself & changing the font size on the list page. I can't seem to find a property setting for this font size. The only way to make it appear larger is to zoom in on the page. In a data validation dropdown list, you can't change the font size. There are a couple of programming workarounds here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Font Ryan wrote: > I am using data validation lis...

Changing Name
Using the Forms Toolbar after a few false starts (and with Excel auto-assigning Controls using default names) I now have an Option Button 2 which shows up in the Name Drop Down box when I right-click on the actual control. I would like to change the name to Option Button 1 (since there isn't one) In my standard module1 I see the Sub OptionButton2_Click() How can I go about doing this -- Performing a change klike this IS NOT USER-FRIENDLY,,, TIA, Jim In XL, select your object (you said, form, but the presence of code indicates a control). In the name box (to the le...

Tab naming
I would like for a workbook sheet tabs (excel 2000) to automatically re-name themselves from what the sheets "C2" cell contains. TFTH, David For Each sh In Activeworkbook.Worksheets sh.Name = sh.Range("C2").Value Next sh -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "David Aides" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28a5901c46510$cf389310$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I would like for a workbook sheet tabs (excel 2000) to > ...

MY NAME!!!!!!
hiya... does any1 know how i can change my name so it doesn't appear as a '.' ??? :) thanks Where is it appearing as a dot/period? "." <.@MICROSOFT.COM> wrote in message news:%233kD4KJ2FHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > hiya... > does any1 know how i can change my name so it doesn't appear as a '.' ??? Looks like the web interface to the newsgroups. You should go into your account properties on the website after logging in. Click the edit my profile button, it's located right beside the Sign in / Sign Out button. -- Kathleen Orla...

File attachments #2
Hello, My org is converting to exchange from groupwise and we plan on adding quotas for both mailbox and file attachments. We are trying to find a third party provider that allows larger file attachment via FTP that would intergrate into exchange/outlook by including a link in the email as to where to download the file from. Do any of you have any suggestions on where to look? I've tried to google it, but I have been unable to locate any services like i've described. Thanks in advance! Bump please.. "CJS" wrote: > Hello, > > My org is converting to excha...

Scrambled Outlook files
I had some hard disk problems, and some of my Outlook 2000 files got discombobulated. I have managed to (partially) restore some of them, but have run into a problem. The Contacts file shows up with column headers as though it was an e-mail file. However, when I click on a specific record, it is displayed properly in a Contact form. Is there any way I can restore the proper headers to the file, or can I regenerate the file other than from each individual record? Anxiously awaiting your response! Al Jensen al99337@charter.net See if the /cleanviews command line switch helps you. More info ...

Drop down box to enter data
Hi, Is it possible to easily make it so every cell in one column has drop down box with a list of specified values? Thanks, -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Hi, > > Is it possible to easily make it so every cell in one column has a > drop down box with a list of specified values? > > Thanks, > > R > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Outlook doesn't attach files accurately.
When attaching an Excel file and sending to an AOL email account, Outlook appears to be encoding the attachent as a ..dat file. Anyone know a fix? Send the mail using Plain Text only. The .dat file results from the encoding using Outlook Rich TExt Format. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer BLoehr <BLoehr@myrealbox.com> asked: | When attaching an Excel file and sending to an AOL email | account, Outlook appears to be encoding the attachent as a | .dat file. Anyone kn...

stange folder after install updates
hello, I've some computers with XP SP3 which after install some updates appear "strange folders". For example there're some folders in c: called: 6ac86d2ad9be93fc0f0ded or 22553c8e848b459d87bc49 I think that these folder are created when the installation on the update fails but my problem is in order to delete them I have to put myself as propietary of the folder manually, Is there any way to delete them automatically? sgr wrote: :: hello, :: :: I've some computers with XP SP3 which after install some updates :: appear "strange folders". F...