Need to read PAR PORT data bits URGENT

I have never read a parallel port in MFC yet.  I need to read the input data
on the port tonight for a dog and pony tomorrow. I tried the CParallelPort
class but it didn't build and seems more than I really needed.. I am just
reading the state of the bits as there is a rotary switch connected to
them..

ANy links or methods.. AM I missing the obvious?

Thanks again all.

Nappy

0
nappy
7/6/2008 11:42:01 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

First, using the parallel port for anything is intrinsically dangerous.  The standard
parallel port driver does not support reading from it.  (Besides, modern machines don't
have parallel ports).  You will have to search using google for a parallel port driver
that supports reading...they are out there.  Whether or not you can make an online
purchase tonight is problematic.

I have no idea what CParallelPort is, but it sounds like one of those gross hacks from
MS-DOS.   Even if it could build, it almost certainly wouldn't work.  It probably tries to
do IN and OUT instructions on the parallel port address, which cannot work in a real
operating system.

Note also that connecting a rotary switch is dangerous because the make/break can cause
voltage surges in the drivers which will fry them.  Unless you have signal conditioning
circuitry you are at risk.
				joe

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 16:42:01 -0700, "nappy" <n@n.n> wrote:

>I have never read a parallel port in MFC yet.  I need to read the input data
>on the port tonight for a dog and pony tomorrow. I tried the CParallelPort
>class but it didn't build and seems more than I really needed.. I am just
>reading the state of the bits as there is a rotary switch connected to
>them..
>
>ANy links or methods.. AM I missing the obvious?
>
>Thanks again all.
>
>Nappy

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
7/7/2008 1:06:17 AM
"nappy" <n@n.n> wrote in message
>I have never read a parallel port in MFC yet.  I need to read the input
>data on the port tonight for a dog and pony tomorrow. I tried the
>CParallelPort class but it didn't build and seems more than I really
>needed.. I am just reading the state of the bits as there is a rotary
>switch connected to them..
>
> ANy links or methods.. AM I missing the obvious?
>
> Thanks again all.
>
> Nappy

You need a special device driver for this.  You can probably find a suitable
freeware one at
http://www.lvr.com/parport.htm

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
Scott
> First, using the parallel port for anything is intrinsically dangerous.
> The standard
> parallel port driver does not support reading from it.  (Besides, modern
> machines don't
> have parallel ports).  You will have to search using google for a parallel
> port driver
> that supports reading...they are out there.  Whether or not you can make
> an online
> purchase tonight is problematic.
>
> I have no idea what CParallelPort is, but it sounds like one of those
> gross hacks from
> MS-DOS.   Even if it could build, it almost certainly wouldn't work.  It
> probably tries to
> do IN and OUT instructions on the parallel port address, which cannot work
> in a real
> operating system.
>
> Note also that connecting a rotary switch is dangerous because the
> make/break can cause
> voltage surges in the drivers which will fry them.  Unless you have signal
> conditioning
> circuitry you are at risk.
> joe

Joe.. its a 5 inch gun controller on a Navy battleship..  no need to worry
about the signal conditioning..

nonetheless. I've been doing low pass filtering and debouncing since 1978.

:)

I found the inpout32 lib does exactly what I need and any par port can be
set to read data on its input.

Thanks for the non-software-related answers thoough! :)))

> On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 16:42:01 -0700, "nappy" <n@n.n> wrote:
>
>>I have never read a parallel port in MFC yet.  I need to read the input
>>data
>>on the port tonight for a dog and pony tomorrow. I tried the CParallelPort
>>class but it didn't build and seems more than I really needed.. I am just
>>reading the state of the bits as there is a rotary switch connected to
>>them..
>>
>>ANy links or methods.. AM I missing the obvious?
>>
>>Thanks again all.
>>
>>Nappy
>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

nappy
7/7/2008 5:06:53 AM

> Joe.. its a 5 inch gun controller on a Navy battleship..  no need to worry
> about the signal conditioning..

TO be more concise with my sarcasm

And everyone knows there are NO signal  problems or noise on battleships
right?

Oh yeah!

0
nappy
7/7/2008 5:10:19 AM
"nappy" <n@n.n> wrote in message

>> Joe.. its a 5 inch gun controller on a Navy battleship..  no need to
>> worry about the signal conditioning..
>
> TO be more concise with my sarcasm
>
> And everyone knows there are NO signal  problems or noise on battleships
> right?
>

> Oh yeah!

don't worry .. it's a prototype..

0
nappy
7/7/2008 5:54:15 AM
On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 22:54:15 -0700, "nappy" <n@n.n> wrote:

>"nappy" <n@n.n> wrote in message
>> >
>>> Joe.. its a 5 inch gun controller on a Navy battleship..  no need to
>>> worry about the signal conditioning..
>>
>> TO be more concise with my sarcasm
>>
>> And everyone knows there are NO signal  problems or noise on battleships
>> right?
>>

>> Oh yeah!
>>

>don't worry .. it's a prototype..

That's OK, we all know Joe isn't a hardware guy. Windows safely insulates
him from those requirements.

I've got working EEPROM programmers that do all their I/O via the printer
ports and they have been bi-directional for years now. The interfaces are
mostly LS245's IIRC, you might find some 74HC245's that will be more
resistant.

Signal problems? Naw, never heard of 'em. The radar buzzing in my head
drowns out signal problems.
0
geoff9744 (73)
7/7/2008 6:08:42 AM
Actually, for years I *was* a hardware guy, and in fact in my youth managed to burn out
the inputs to a system by using direct coupling to a switch.  Embarassing.  I got out of
doing hardware when it was no longer possible for a hobbyist to do anything unless I was
willing to buy a surface-mount wave-soldering device.

Note the EEPROM programmers have full signal conditioning.  But I've seen people just hook
up switches to wires to the parallel port (as I had done with a marginally different
interface) and suffer the consequences.  It isn't like I haven't seen this happen before.

I did hardware in the 1970s, and still have my oscilloscope/logic analyzer.  I also have a
large inventory of 7400-class TTL chips (shows when I got out it), several hundred, a
wirewrap gun, a huge inventory of wirewrap sockets, and a complete fabricating workshop
I've not used in about 15 years. I worked on two different circuit/wirewrap layout
programs, one a homebrew from CMU and the other from Stanford, where I modified both to
support arbitrary board geometries and coordinate systems, extended them to support
different kinds of chips (0.3x24 pin; the assumption had previously been that any chip >
22 pins was 0.6), and built large libraries of chip definitions for them.
					joe

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 23:08:42 -0700, Geoff <geoff@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 22:54:15 -0700, "nappy" <n@n.n> wrote:
>

>>"nappy" <n@n.n> wrote in message

>>> TO be more concise with my sarcasm
>>>
>>> And everyone knows there are NO signal  problems or noise on battleships
>>> right?
>>>

>>> Oh yeah!
>>>

>>don't worry .. it's a prototype..
>>

>That's OK, we all know Joe isn't a hardware guy. Windows safely insulates
>him from those requirements.
>
>I've got working EEPROM programmers that do all their I/O via the printer
>ports and they have been bi-directional for years now. The interfaces are
>mostly LS245's IIRC, you might find some 74HC245's that will be more
>resistant.
>
>Signal problems? Naw, never heard of 'em. The radar buzzing in my head
>drowns out signal problems.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
7/7/2008 12:51:37 PM
On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 08:51:37 -0400, Joseph M. Newcomer
<newcomer@flounder.com> wrote:

>Actually, for years I *was* a hardware guy, and in fact in my youth managed to burn out
>the inputs to a system by using direct coupling to a switch.  Embarassing.  I got out of
>doing hardware...

Blowing stuff up.

Good you got out when you did. You proved you were a hardware guy, just not
a very good one. :)

My eyes can't take working on the small stuff anymore. I used to be able to
spot a bad solder joint or trace from 20 paces. Now I need to back off 20
paces to see the board. :) I carry a loupe now to see stuff when I am on
the road. Otherwise a bench magnifier is de rigeur.

I just finished using a Canon FB620P flatbed scanner to scan a motel
receipt. It connects to my laptop via the printer port. Bi-directional I/O
on a printer port driver on XP. Certainly not MFC since it would be a
driver developed on the DDK.

Somewhere I have an old CD ROM drive that was used for booting and
installing OS/2 back in the day. Couple of floppies to boot it, then it
drove the printer port in ECP mode to read the CD. Those were fun times.
0
geoff9744 (73)
7/7/2008 1:40:29 PM
I wasn't too bad, after several years, but some of my first tries were notably bad
(including the fried drivers incident) until I caught on to all the details.  Then I got
bored with it, because it was too hard to create interesting devices.  A few years after I
left the hardware field, Xylinx came up with their FPGA, and I was back doing hardware for
a while, but then the project finished, and I couldn't afford the development tools on my
own.  But I can still debug with an oscilloscope if I need to.  The last I did it was
about six years ago, and I was surprised by how much I remembered about technique.

I created the hardware course at CMU for CS graduate students; prior to my teaching it,
there was no good hands-on course for hardware (there was a computer architecture course,
but the closest they got to real hardware was the photos in the textbook).

I couldn't go back to it, though; my vision is just no longer suitable for close work.  I
travel with three pairs of glasses (normal trifocals, computer bifocals, and close-work
reading glasses) and it is a real pain.

What surprises me is that Microsoft doesn't support ECP by default.
					joe

On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 06:40:29 -0700, Geoff <geoff@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 08:51:37 -0400, Joseph M. Newcomer
><newcomer@flounder.com> wrote:
>
>>Actually, for years I *was* a hardware guy, and in fact in my youth managed to burn out
>>the inputs to a system by using direct coupling to a switch.  Embarassing.  I got out of
>>doing hardware...
>
>Blowing stuff up.
>
>Good you got out when you did. You proved you were a hardware guy, just not
>a very good one. :)
>
>My eyes can't take working on the small stuff anymore. I used to be able to
>spot a bad solder joint or trace from 20 paces. Now I need to back off 20
>paces to see the board. :) I carry a loupe now to see stuff when I am on
>the road. Otherwise a bench magnifier is de rigeur.
>
>I just finished using a Canon FB620P flatbed scanner to scan a motel
>receipt. It connects to my laptop via the printer port. Bi-directional I/O
>on a printer port driver on XP. Certainly not MFC since it would be a
>driver developed on the DDK.
>
>Somewhere I have an old CD ROM drive that was used for booting and
>installing OS/2 back in the day. Couple of floppies to boot it, then it
>drove the printer port in ECP mode to read the CD. Those were fun times.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
7/7/2008 2:25:13 PM
I have set up my shop for SMT and super miniature hardware development here.
A couple of micrtoscopes  and the rest.

A lot of my clients are working with super miniature stuff and in addition
to develping the code I routinely have to build and test my prototypes. And
parts are no longer made in flavors humans are supposed to deal with..

So I had to develop a method for building with the latest SMT devices. About
the only thing I haven't done here are BGA.

I built the world's smallest body worn EKG recorder a little while back and
I had to use some interesting techniques to get the prototypes built. I love
that solder paste in the hypo applicators that's for sure. I rarely even see
a strand of solder anymore.

A lot of my work deals with external inputs and signal conditioning is of
prime importance. As is filtering in the software realm. I am not a DSP guy.

I am getting ready to throw out my bins of DIPS and 20 year old chips.. Hard
to do though..   TTHOSE parts had their values printed on them!!

nappy.

0
nappy
7/7/2008 4:22:14 PM
Now the time I switched out my 12V 1/2A for 12V 3A and moved the RAM
chips that didn't burn my fingers to the Monitor area so that I could
troubleshoot from there DOESN'T COMPARE to the guy I worked with who
had to vector his program to the upper 512 bytes of memory, and work
on the lower 512 byte hardware WHILE IT WAS STILL HOT because it was
too expensive to turn the thing off. Now he was an old timer! ({{:-)=.
Ah, the days of data and address bus lights, like the times you could
shake your LED calculator to see the display multiplex, or hold it to
your ear to hear the driver chips sing - those days are gone.({{:.-(=

On Jul 7, 10:25 am, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...@flounder.com> wrote:
> I wasn't too bad, after several years, but some of my first tries were notably bad
> (including the fried drivers incident) until I caught on to all the details.  Then I got
> bored with it, because it was too hard to create interesting devices.  A few years after I
> left the hardware field, Xylinx came up with their FPGA, and I was back doing hardware for
> a while, but then the project finished, and I couldn't afford the development tools on my
> own.  But I can still debug with an oscilloscope if I need to.  The last I did it was
> about six years ago, and I was surprised by how much I remembered about technique.
>
> I created the hardware course at CMU for CS graduate students; prior to my teaching it,
> there was no good hands-on course for hardware (there was a computer architecture course,
> but the closest they got to real hardware was the photos in the textbook).
>
> I couldn't go back to it, though; my vision is just no longer suitable for close work.  I
> travel with three pairs of glasses (normal trifocals, computer bifocals, and close-work
> reading glasses) and it is a real pain.
>
> What surprises me is that Microsoft doesn't support ECP by default.
>                                         joe
>

> On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 06:40:29 -0700, Geoff <ge...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 08:51:37 -0400, Joseph M. Newcomer
> ><newco...@flounder.com> wrote:
>
> >>Actually, for years I *was* a hardware guy, and in fact in my youth managed to burn out
> >>the inputs to a system by using direct coupling to a switch.  Embarassing.  I got out of
> >>doing hardware...
>
> >Blowing stuff up.
>
> >Good you got out when you did. You proved you were a hardware guy, just not
> >a very good one. :)
>
> >My eyes can't take working on the small stuff anymore. I used to be able to
> >spot a bad solder joint or trace from 20 paces. Now I need to back off 20
> >paces to see the board. :) I carry a loupe now to see stuff when I am on
> >the road. Otherwise a bench magnifier is de rigeur.
>
> >I just finished using a Canon FB620P flatbed scanner to scan a motel
> >receipt. It connects to my laptop via the printer port. Bi-directional I/O
> >on a printer port driver on XP. Certainly not MFC since it would be a
> >driver developed on the DDK.
>
> >Somewhere I have an old CD ROM drive that was used for booting and
> >installing OS/2 back in the day. Couple of floppies to boot it, then it
> >drove the printer port in ECP mode to read the CD. Those were fun times.
>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newco...@flounder.com
> Web:http://www.flounder.com
> MVP Tips:http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm

0
motion1 (23)

plz help me .......[plz].....[i need a help [ :( ] ]
hi , every body; i want to write an easy program; if u have time plz write that code for me i want to write a program that it gets a number from user then save it in filestream i mean to see tahat number ever time that i want at that file i need a help On Mar 7, 6:04=A0pm, sahel <nam.nam.baro...@gmail.com> wrote: > hi , every body; > i want to write an easy program; > if u have time plz write that code for me > i want to write a program that it gets a number from user then save it > in filestream > i mean to see tahat number ever time that i want at that f...

Charting data as 'boxes'
Hi All I have an x-y chart (y is a date axis) and a series of events happening along the x-axis. The x-axis is the position along a datum, and I'd like to show a 'box' starting at one x value through to a second x-value to define where the event is happening; then the top and bottom of the box define the start and finish dates. I can store the data in a table easily enough, [ID;Startx;Endx;Starty;Endy] but is it then possible to use it to define the four corners of a box and get it to draw a series of 'boxes' on a chart ?? Hope this makes sense ! Regards John P J...

Need inserted lines to print in correct position on Excel graphs
The aim lines and trend lines that I inserted into the Excel graph appear in the correct position on my monitor screen, but when I print the graph they appear higher than when seen on the screen. How can I get the printed lines to appear in the correct position? Hi, Did you use shapes to draw the lines? You could try changing the Move and cell property. But the best solution would be to create the lines using dummy series. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Lavonne" <Lavonne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4CD...

Need rotation schedule with 6 tables of 6 people for all to meet o
I am trying to develop an algorithm for a networking session. I need a rotation schedule so that everyone will get to meet everyone only once. I will have 6 tables of 6 people at each table for a total of 36 people. I have the tables lettered A B C D E F and 1-36 people numbered and want to rotate everyone through so they all get to talk to each other just once. On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, sccyclist <sccyclist@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I am trying to develop an algorithm for a networking session. I need a >rotation schedule so that eve...

Transfer form data
In access 2000, how do I transfer form data to MS Word?. I would like to use something like transferSpreadsheet which I use often to transfer data to Excel. I would prefer not to create an Access report and then use "Publish with MS Word". This method does NOT faithfully reproduce the report. Thanks -- Shell "Shell" wrote: > In access 2000, how do I transfer form data to MS Word?. I would like to use > something like transferSpreadsheet which I use often to transfer data to > Excel. > > I would prefer not to create an Access report and then us...

Links in Excel 2000...need help
Hi, Would you happen to know how to switch the setting in excel so that when I doubleclick on a cell with a link to another tab (worksheet), it will take me to that tab and specifically the cell referenced? Thx, Maybe you can use a worksheet formula. David McRitchie has posted these formulas that he uses. =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",C5),C5) =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",sheetone!C5),sheetone!C5) =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",'sheet two'!C5),'sheet two'!C5) === but you meant like what hap...

Data Markers
Can I change data markers so that it reflects the conditional formatting on that cell? For example if the data in column c is being plotted and the conditional formatting I have on the cells are if column D = "Y" can I have it so that those markers are plotted with a circle marker and the rest with a square marker? Thanks! Hi, Have a look at Jon's page for conditional charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html Cheers Andy ivy_gayle wrote: > Can I change data markers so that it reflects the conditional formatting on > that cell? For exampl...

How can i stop same data being repeated in a column
I have a list of contract numbers relating to application numbers or payments. they are in the format nnnnnnan or nnnnnnpn. The columns are fixed to this format only. If they are entered with the a or p in the wrong place or if they have been left out completely an error message will appear to alert the user. I want to know how to alert the user if they enter an application or a payment number that has already been entered. ie if they enter 022079a4 but that same application has been entered else where in the column. Hope you can help Ru Hello See Chip Pearson's http://www.cpearson....

Problems XSLT Transformation of XML Data to EXCEL 2000
Does Office Excel 2000 support XSLT transformation of data from XML cause am having problem when the attachment is opened in the client side if the Excels version is in Office 2000 and also its works fine if the Office Excel Version 2002 and up when attachment file is open via browser the data is in a single line of string in the first row of the excel worksheet Glenn Gomez wrote: > Does Office Excel 2000 support XSLT transformation of data from XML cause am > having problem when the attachment is opened in the client side if the Excels > version is in Office 2000 > >...

Urgent: Creating a gaprh from two existing polynomial garphs
Hi All, Please some one let me know the procedure how to draw a graph from two existing graphs(which are polynomials). Please provide me a URL which explains the process in detail, if possible. This is really urgent for me, Thanks in adance You have two charts, each with a series and a polynomial trendline? Copy one chart, select the other, and from the Edit menu, use Paste Special and select the All option. This adds the series from the copied chart to the other chart, plus any trendline and non-default formatting. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom ...

How to read B-LOB data from Oracel DB using Pro*c
Hello, I'm trying to read B-LOB data in Oracle Database using Pro*c. I know how to read it with char mode. What I want to know is read it with binary mode. Are there any good person help me? Let me know if you have a good sample source. Thanks and have a nice day. ...

Migrate data from 1.2 to 3.0
Hi Can i use the data migration framework to migrate data from 1.2 SBS to 3.0 Professional after doing all the required mappings ? Is there an easier way to have data from 1.2 SBS moved to 3.0 Professional? Unfortunately you cannot move data between deployments. You can only upgrade the existing CRM 1.2 deployment to 3.0. There is no 1.2 SBS Edition, so you may have to redeploy the 1.2 environment to a new place, then upgrade the system. -- Laszlo Kovacs MCSE+S, MCT, Microsoft Dynamics Certified Master "Jij" wrote: > Hi Can i use the data migration framework to migrate d...

I need an Excel Genius !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Headers/Footer Changes
I think I need some work around code. I have two workbooks named QG and Add-In. Add-In contains all the code to manipulate data in QG. I have two option buttons in Sheets("QUOTE") in QG. Each option button represents a company. When an option button is clicked the code below located in Add-In is called, which changes the Header and Footer to represent that company. The code works fine, but there is a fault. If the Logo is moved to a different folder the code fails. Is there a way to store the two company logos (.jpeg) in one of the workbooks so that when one...

deleting a calendar series needs new option
When you have a series for a meeting appointment and after a year there is no longer a meeting your first impulse is to delete the meeting series from your calender. When you do this it deletes all past, present and future occurrances of the appointment. It would be really nice if the delete had an option to say from here forward so you can preserve history in the calender. Thanks ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in...

Cannot open document in email because it needs excel. How do I d.
I have inbound email that will not open attachment becausse it is on excel. How do I open this document? Fredd Assuming you do not have Excel installed. Download and install the Excel Viewer from.... http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/xlviewer.aspx You will be able to view and print Excel worksheets. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 17:04:04 -0800, "fred" <fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have inbound email that will not open attachment becausse it is on excel. >How do I open this document? fred wrote: > I have inbound email that...

#N/A And Data Labels
I created a bar graph, for each month I am displaying three items. For future months I use the value #N/A so the graph will ignore it. My problem is that the data label picks up the #N/A rather than the correct value for the last month. For example if my values are Jan=2, Feb=3, Mar=5 and Apr to Dec = #N/A, the graph prints correctly, but the Data Labels show Jan=2, Feb=3, Mar=#N/A. Any thoughts, thanks Hi Bruce, The #N/A data labels will all be clustered around the bar with the last value, in your case Mar. I think you will find Mar data label is there but covered. To get the dat...

Need help to sync Outlook with laptop
I am new to Office (2003) Outlook and would like to find a wizard or step by step instructions on setting up my Vista Laptop to sync with my XP Desktop on the same network. I need to keep both my Outlook calendar and e-mail in sync on both computers. I have no idea how to get started. I'd appreciate it if someone would point me in the right direction. -Bill A good start is here: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm -- Bill R MVP "William" <wyum@msn.com> wrote in message news:eoRrgpy4HHA.5796@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I am new to Office (2003) Outlook and wo...

Migrate data from one CRM server to another
Hello, I need to install a portuguese version of microsoft crm, but actually, we have a english version, and with much data like accounts, contacts, opportunities, etc... inserted. I try to use de redeployment tool to install the portuguese version and import our data, but on the install of microsoft crm portuguese version, I got a error saying that SQL not match the correct version, and don=B4t let setup continue the installation.... maybe a bug.... So, what I need to do is export ALL (or almost all) data from the english version, uninstall crm, reinstall the portuguese version and import ...

Bank One users .. Please read
Are you using the same username and password to access accounts etc through Bank One web site as well as Direct Link (online access) feature in Money 2004 (or earlier)? I am unable to use my username/password (8 characters) that works on Bank One web site, to access account information in Money 2004. This is for Bank One in Ohio. Bank One tech support thinks that it should. They think that the same username/password is used for both functions. However, MS Money web tech support insists that a different username/password (4 characters) is needed for the Direct Link feature in Money. I am ...

File Error
After performing an append query on a list containing duplicates, I exported the new table as a new sheet into a pre-existing Excel file containing approximately nine other sheets. When I click on the file to open it, I get an error message stating File Error: Data May Be Lost. When the file opens, the first worksheet appears to be fine, but the other nine plus the new one that I exported from Access are jumbled as if the file had been corrupted. I tried the "Open and Repair" option but to no avail. Is there anything I can do to restore the data? I am an intermediate level us...

MailMerge - merge with data in Excel
++Using Word&Excel 2000 on Windows 2000++ If I am doing a mail merge in Word with data in EXCEL, than Word supposes the first Excel-Row to contain the field-names and the following Excel-Rows contains the data Can I organize things in the other direction : - field-names in the first Column instead of Row - data in the next Columns instead of Rows My intention is to achieve a better navigation and better view upon the data, without using a form Is the impossible possible ? Thanks in advance - paul ...

Have many Visio 5 Drawings that I need to see
How do I open Visio 5 drawings in a newer version! Why is this product not backward compatible? If I have to redo drawings everytime an upgrade occurs, can I backbill Microsoft? Please Help!! Phone support for this product is horrible! Except for version 1, Visio has always been able to open files created by an older version. John... Visio MVP Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm Need VBA examples? http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.org/visio/common_questions.htm "Rich Farmer" <richfarmer@fuse.net> wr...

Initilizing Project Data
I am looking for the best way to backload open project accounting data in order to build the WIP and deferred revenue so that I can then use the proper revenue recognition processes in GP when I complete the project. Can this be done? Thanks Yes, You can use V9.0 Integration Manager with the Project Timesheet object to import. What you do is create a dummy employee called WIP and then bring in one TS line per Project with the extended cost equal to the Project WIP to date. Do not post to payroll. Only to Project. This will get your projects costed to the cutover WIP with a single t...

Using Data Stored on External Drives in 64 bit computer
I have a 32-bit computer using Windows XP Pro and I have two externaol hard drives with a lot of important information. When I get a new computer, 64-bit with Windows 7, will I be able to use the data currently stored on my external hard drives with the new 64 bit computer using Windows 7? Thank you. Hi, On 7 Apr., 18:38, moon <m...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a 32-bit computer using Windows XP Pro and I have two externaol hard > drives with a lot of important information. When I get a new computer, 64-bit > with Windows 7, will I be able to use t...

Best approach, Editing existing data.
Hi, I have a workbook with 2 sheets in it. One called master the othe called data. I have created an input userform that takes the data an puts it into the data sheet. I now need a way to bring up that sam data to be able to alter it. All the data for each vendor , with the vendor name first, is on on line in cells a1, b1, c1 etc... I have a combobox with the linked cell at c14 on my master page wher the name of the vendor I want to edit will appear. I need a way to edit that data. Any Ideas -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...