need some help

Hi,
This is probably a stupid question, I have been trying to understand but I
would need some to explain it.
I have an SDI app (a treeview to the left and a CFrameWnd to the right, I
switch between a couple for CFormView)
I don't have a CDocument class in my project, so I get these kind of errors
"Warning: Creating a pane with no CDocument."
Now my problem is I don't know why I need a CDocument.
In the msdn help I can read "CDocument supports standard operations such as
creating a document, loading it, and saving it. The framework manipulates
documents using the interface defined by CDocument.".
But I do these things in my CFrameWnd derived class, in my CFormview classes
I have a save function and a load function that correspond to that formviews
items.
I can't think of a reason to have a CDocument, is it poor mfc code style not
to use it?

thanks!

0
no (445)
6/5/2004 9:02:56 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

If you are using Doc/View and you seem to have the document concept, why not
use the CDocument class instead of creating your own functionality in
CFrameWnd derived class. Go over Scribble tutorial  that comes with VC/MSDN
to see how a document class can be used.

--
Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++]
ajaykalra@yahoo.com

"Nick" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> This is probably a stupid question, I have been trying to understand but I
> would need some to explain it.
> I have an SDI app (a treeview to the left and a CFrameWnd to the right, I
> switch between a couple for CFormView)
> I don't have a CDocument class in my project, so I get these kind of
errors
> "Warning: Creating a pane with no CDocument."
> Now my problem is I don't know why I need a CDocument.
> In the msdn help I can read "CDocument supports standard operations such
as
> creating a document, loading it, and saving it. The framework manipulates
> documents using the interface defined by CDocument.".
> But I do these things in my CFrameWnd derived class, in my CFormview
classes
> I have a save function and a load function that correspond to that
formviews
> items.
> I can't think of a reason to have a CDocument, is it poor mfc code style
not
> to use it?
>
> thanks!

0
ajaykalra (6842)
6/5/2004 1:07:46 PM
That sounds like a really dumb approach. Why don't you have a document? You get one
generated when you generate the app, and it is foolish to throw it away. Since you save
nothing by getting rid of it, and it makes your program break, put it back, and the
problem will go away.

It is not poor style not to use it. It is, and there is no other way to say this, a
really, really stupid idea not to use it. Even if it holds nothing of interest to you, it
is an essential part of the structure of the program. I have lost count of how many people
have made the same mistake. You had to go through extra work to break your program. Why?
What possible value could you get by deleting it?
					joe

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 11:02:56 +0200, "Nick" <no@spam.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>This is probably a stupid question, I have been trying to understand but I
>would need some to explain it.
>I have an SDI app (a treeview to the left and a CFrameWnd to the right, I
>switch between a couple for CFormView)
>I don't have a CDocument class in my project, so I get these kind of errors
>"Warning: Creating a pane with no CDocument."
>Now my problem is I don't know why I need a CDocument.
>In the msdn help I can read "CDocument supports standard operations such as
>creating a document, loading it, and saving it. The framework manipulates
>documents using the interface defined by CDocument.".
>But I do these things in my CFrameWnd derived class, in my CFormview classes
>I have a save function and a load function that correspond to that formviews
>items.
>I can't think of a reason to have a CDocument, is it poor mfc code style not
>to use it?
>
>thanks!

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
6/5/2004 6:08:53 PM
"Nick" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:<u0l4lvtSEHA.2408@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...

> I can't think of a reason to have a CDocument

I can.

The main role of the document is to keep track of the views, it is
infact the one that's _owning_ the views.
0
perfnurt (11)

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

Help with formula 12-17-09

Need help on this....thanks

Help with Error
I got this error recently, and just want to make sure I'm reading it right. Logon Failure on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)" - Windows 2000 account PARADIGM\user1; mailbox /o=Paradigm/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=user2. Error: -2147221231 Does this mean the user1 tried to access the user2 mailbox and failed? Thanks in advance hello albert, well, this looks familiar to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260782 and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309113 regards, Alex "AlbertP&quo...

need help badly

I need Help

Help, MVP!
Milly, Sue, Vince.. Can you help 'fix' this- I have still not found the cure, thank you! Outlook 2000 (Internet Only) is set to check for mail ever five minutes. However, when it does so, Outlook now insists on displaying the dialog box stating that the "Requested tasks were completed successfully." The dialog box has a "Hide this message" box which is checked, and the push pin is not 'set'. I must have messed up a setting when I reset my toolbars... (issue resolved - I accidentally pinned the toolbar to the desktop, went nuts till I figure out a doub...

help with a table
now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that same table? On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:39:05 -0700, Maggie <schmidt.margaret@gmail.com> wrote: >now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that >I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that >same table? Use File... Get External Data... Link to link to a textfile containing the information from the EMail, and run an Append query to append it into your stored table. John W. Vinso...

Need Help Despertly!

Plug in needed

Need to Hire Outlook 2003 Help

Which setting do I need to adjust
I've noticed that when using my default browser IE 8 and I click on a link that is suppose to start a download, it doesn't. When I click on the same link in firefox the download starts like it should. Can anyone tell me what setting in IE 8 is preventing the download from starting? on the page it says "Downloading: 50fpct-Just4freeplanet.com.rar | 34.7 MB" but in IE 8 it isn't downloading. It also isn't asking me if I want to allow IE 8 to download the file like it sometimes does. Thanks Shep wrote: > I've noticed that when using my d...

Need Help with Excel and Flagging Outcomes!
I’m using Excel 2007, and here is my question… I want to put a formula in cell C3 that looks at outcomes in cell B3. If the raw score outcome in cell B3 has the following values, I would like cell C3 to provide the following words: IF: THEN: B3=Blank C3=Blank B3= Greater than 0-1.9 C3=Definitely False B3=2.0-2.9 C3=Mostly False B3=3.0-3.9 C3=Don’t Know B3=4.0-4.9 C3=Mostly True B3= 5.0 or greater C3=Definitely True Thank you for your help! Hi This should do it: =IF(B3=0,"",IF(B3<2,"Definet...

Help! Event 7034 has me concerned.
Every day or so the exchange 2003 server is logging the following messages in the system event log. The services appear to be terminating, and then restarting themselves automatically. Any help would be appreciated. It has me a bit concerned. Thanks. The Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 19 time(s). The Microsoft Exchange Routing Engine service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 19 time(s). The Microsoft Exchange POP3 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 19 time(s). The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service term...

I really need help. Need a formula. Need it yesterday.
I'm new to Excel formulas, and I need one that is well beyond me at this stage, but probably a piece of cake for an Excel Wizard. I have a modest staffing schedule on Excel that shows several teams of employees with staffing requirements that may change every thirty minutes, as does the number of employees available in each team. I have the spreadsheet linked to another that provides the total, overall staffing requirement for each half hour, so that the total staffing requirement for each half-hour automatically loads to my staffing schedule. Likewise with the total number of emp...