Need only one DLL instance to run...

Hi all,

1:
if two apps load the same DLL - LoadLibrary(...) - system will create to
different instance of the DLL...
Now, in my DLL i've a CList and i need it to be visible to all instance and
all apps!!!!

Is there a way!?

2:
I need the dll to remain loaded till machine reboot!!! Is it possible!?

Thanks
Ale

0
Ale (83)
9/8/2005 10:43:02 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

>if two apps load the same DLL - LoadLibrary(...) - system will create to
>different instance of the DLL...
>Now, in my DLL i've a CList and i need it to be visible to all instance and
>all apps!!!!
>
>Is there a way!?

It'll be difficult to share a CLis directly between processes.

You can share simple data in a DLL if you specify the data in a shared
section:

#pragma comment(linker, "/SECTION:.shared,RWS")
#pragma data_seg(".shared")
HWND g_hWnd = NULL;	// Shared data must be initialised
#pragma data_seg()

However, for larger data, a named memory mapped file may be a better
solution.

>2:
>I need the dll to remain loaded till machine reboot!!! Is it possible!?

Some process has got to keep the DLL loaded. If you can arrange that,
then you can.

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
0

Ale

"David Lowndes" wrote:

> >if two apps load the same DLL - LoadLibrary(...) - system will create to
> >different instance of the DLL...
> >Now, in my DLL i've a CList and i need it to be visible to all instance and
> >all apps!!!!
> >
> >Is there a way!?
>
> It'll be difficult to share a CLis directly between processes.
>
> You can share simple data in a DLL if you specify the data in a shared
> section:
>
> #pragma comment(linker, "/SECTION:.shared,RWS")
> #pragma data_seg(".shared")
> HWND g_hWnd = NULL;	// Shared data must be initialised
> #pragma data_seg()
>
> However, for larger data, a named memory mapped file may be a better
> solution.
>
> >2:
> >I need the dll to remain loaded till machine reboot!!! Is it possible!?
>
> Some process has got to keep the DLL loaded. If you can arrange that,
> then you can.
>
> Dave

Ale (83)
9/8/2005 1:51:06 PM
You can't share a CList.  You can't have anything IN the CList that requires 'new',
including CStrings.  If you do a shared-data-segment DLL, every bit you need to share must
be statically declared in the sharable data segment.  If you do a memory-mapped-file
sharing, likewise.  You will have to build your own "storage allocator" in these if you
need dynamic allocation, and if you do this, you need to use fixed-sized blocks if
possible so you avoid memory fragmentation of a very scarce resource.  In addition, you
have no guarantees that the block of memory is mapped into the same addresses in each
process (if the debugger tells you this is so, take this as sheer coincidence! You cannot
force the mappings to be the same, although the OS will tend to favor identical mappings
it is not guaranteed).  Thus, you must used __based pointers to put any pointers into this
area.

I use this exact problem in my System Programming course.  Send me private email and I'll
send you a working example of how this is done.
					joe

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 03:43:02 -0700, Ale <Ale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>1:
>if two apps load the same DLL - LoadLibrary(...) - system will create to
>different instance of the DLL...
>Now, in my DLL i've a CList and i need it to be visible to all instance and
>all apps!!!!
>
>Is there a way!?
>
>2:
>I need the dll to remain loaded till machine reboot!!! Is it possible!?
>
>Thanks
>Ale

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)

Match value in one column and return value in same row in next col
Hi, I have a a set of values in A1 through A100. I need to look up each value and find a match in another set of values located in C1 through C200. If a match is found then I need the formula located in column B to return the value in the same row but the next column over (D). Example: A B C D 359 375 10012 456 125 10031 125 10031 952 10052 854 444 10017 The formula located in B3 should find that the value of 125 (located in A3) matches the value in C2 and returns 10031 which is the v...

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

accessing transaction items in dll
Using a dll written Visual Studio 2005, Visual Basic, this statement works: "MsgBox(Session.Transaction.Entries.Element(n).Item.ItemLookupCode)" Using the same code in C# doesn't work, there is no 'element' property available. "Session.Transaction.Entries." is as far as it goes. And I get a build error if I force it. Why would some methods/properties in QSRules.dll be available in VB but not C#? Using QSRules in VB there is no intellisense. Using QSRules in C# the intellisense works great but not all properties are available. Has anyone else run into th...

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Chart apearing small for one user only
I have a situation where person one sends person two a excel 2003 document with a chart and person two can see the chart but it is rely small. Person one can send the file to other people and it shows up fine. Person two can send the same file to other people and it shows up fine. What is wrong with person two's setup? The zoom percentage on both computers for both people are always the same value. Person two can increase his and it seems as if it distorts the chart. When he sends that file to someone else it looks ok (not distorted) but very big. Please help. Thanks. Do...

Tough one for me
I have a 2-dimensional array. I first want to see what is the most frequently occuring item in the first column. I also want to see what item has the largest sum in the second column. Here's an example: Col A Col B ===== ===== X $25 Y $32 X $11 Z $29 P $18 X $17 Y $64 etc. etc. Question 1: In this case, I would get X as the most frequenty occurring (3x), Y as the second (2x), etc. Question 2: In this case, I would get Y as the highest sum ($96), X as the s...

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

A full page of email text shrinks to one inch or less w/ new batte
I was answering emails and everyhting was fine. The batteries in my wireless mouse died. I replaced them and went back to answering emails. When I clicked the "forward" or "reply" button , a full page text in an email shrank to about one inch. Changing the font size did not correct the problem. HELP it's your zoom setting. Hold ctrl and roll the mouse wheel to increase. Depending on the mouse, you could have accidently pressed a mouse button and changed it when you changed the batteries. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.o...

How do capture the first three characters from one cell to another cell
"AGC4039" is in cell 1. I want cell 2 to grab the first thre characters from cell 1 so it will display "AGC" Anybody know if excel can do this? Thanks for your help! Ale -- ExcelAle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ExcelAlex's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1555 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27129 =LEFT(cell1,3) works dandy -- jared ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jaredh's Profile: http://www.excelfor...

Need help on this....thanks

2 sumif functions in one formula
Is it possible to have 2 sumif functions in one formula and return the same results. If so, how would the formula be written? Thanks. Todd If you are to return the same results why do you need 2 formulas? It would be good to give specifics with examples. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Todd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04d201c3b391$f9f5ef20$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to have 2 sumif functions in one formula > and return the same results. If so, how would the formula > be written? Thanks. > > T...

need help badly

I need Help

VBA code to run macro in certain file based on name of file in cel
I am trying to come up with code that will run a macro in a workbook where the path and name of the workbook are in a cell reference. I have tried the following with no luck. The path to the file is located in cell F36 of worksheet, "Customize" and the name of the file is located in cell F42. The name of the macro is "ClearTotalSavings". Any help from one of you gurus would sure be appreciated. Application.Run "'" & Workbooks(Sheets("Customize").Range("F36").Value) & "\" & Sheets("Customize").R...

Ones in pivot table
Hello, I import my pivot table data from an external data source (MS Access query) and it displays like this: http://www.geocities.com/blinton25/Count.jpg instead of showing values. If I double click on any of "2's", a new worksheet is generated showing me the actual values. How do I make the values show like this: http://www.geocities.com/blinton25/Count2.jpg Brenda, Post a small table of your data: you probably need to change what data you are using in the pibot table, and change from count to sum for the fields. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Brenda Love" &...

Need Help Despertly!

Index/Match to look up a value in one workbook and insert it into.
I need to be able to look up a value in a range on one Excel workbook using a code in another workbook. Can I use Index/Match for this function; looking for the value in one workbook and inserting it into another workbook? Currently, I use Vlookup, which is cumbersom and awkward and prone to error. Thank you. You can use =index(match()), but I think you may have as much trouble with that as you have with =vlookup(). You may want to look at the formula tips that Debra Dalgleish shares: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html and http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html Mayb...

Plug in needed