Need good Visual C++ Winsock2 book recommendations?

I'm currently doing some beginner network programming using
CSocket/CAsyncSocket and everything seems to be working fine though i
haven't load tested my Client/Server applications on a 'noisy' communication
link yet. I'm eager to learn more so i want to move on to using WinSock.

Need recommendations on any good WinSock 2 books / references out there. I
mostly work in Visual C++ MFC using VStudio 6.

Thanks in advance!

Kenny Fong


0
7/7/2004 9:12:51 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

7 Replies
561 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 2

"Kenny Fong" <kenny.fong@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:eaMYjKAZEHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I'm currently doing some beginner network programming using
> CSocket/CAsyncSocket and everything seems to be working fine though i
> haven't load tested my Client/Server applications on a 'noisy'
communication
> link yet. I'm eager to learn more so i want to move on to using WinSock.
>
> Need recommendations on any good WinSock 2 books / references out there. I
> mostly work in Visual C++ MFC using VStudio 6.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Kenny Fong
>


I too was a beginner network programmer but I learned from best online
resource out there.  There are some great code examples that are concise.
There is also descriptions of several different ways to implement Winsock
that are much less dangerous and more effective than using CSocket and
CAsyncSocket.

http://www.tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/

-steev


0
dropbin (1)
7/8/2004 8:44:29 AM
Keny,

The one that I started with (and quite some time ago) was Win32 System
Services, by Marshall Brain.  ThisWAS the standard then, but is likely out
of print by now.  If you can find one, grab it - it is a good reference with
excellent examples - and covers quite a bit more than just networking -
although it came out right after NT4 and Windows 95, so it is a bit dated.

A more up to date book, and another good choice, is Network Programing for
MS Windows by Jones and Ohlund.  This one provides excellent coverage of the
current  MS implementation of WinSock2 (version 2.2)

regards
roy fine



"Kenny Fong" <kenny.fong@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:eaMYjKAZEHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I'm currently doing some beginner network programming using
> CSocket/CAsyncSocket and everything seems to be working fine though i
> haven't load tested my Client/Server applications on a 'noisy'
communication
> link yet. I'm eager to learn more so i want to move on to using WinSock.
>
> Need recommendations on any good WinSock 2 books / references out there. I
> mostly work in Visual C++ MFC using VStudio 6.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Kenny Fong
>
>


0
rlfine8815 (162)
7/9/2004 3:05:15 AM
The third edition of Win32 System Services, by Ron Reeves and Mashall Brain, IS available,
and in greatly expanded form.

I used "Windows Socket Network Programming" by Quinn & Shute, and "Internetworking with
TCP/IP" by Comer & Stevens. For the Comer & Stevens, be aware that it has both a
Unix/Linux version and a Windows version, so get the Windows version.

However, I'm conerned with an earlier answer that characterized raw socket programming as
"much less dangerous and more effective than using CSocket and CAsyncSocket.", since as
far as I can tell, if you ignore that fact that no sane programmer uses synchronous
sockets in a production program, that statement is nonsensical. There is nothing in the
message that indicates why CAsyncSocket would be ineffective or dangerous, and as far as I
can tell from several years of delivering network solutions, there are no downsides to
CAsyncSocket. It sounds like more that that "I don't need no stinkin' library" stuff I see
far too often. I have never encountered, anywhere, anything that suggests that
CAsyncSocket compromises either safety or effectiveness. The only downside is that you
can't port to other platforms, a low priority for most Windows applications.
				joe

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 23:05:15 -0400, "Roy Fine" <rlfine@twt.obfuscate.net> wrote:

>Keny,
>
>The one that I started with (and quite some time ago) was Win32 System
>Services, by Marshall Brain.  ThisWAS the standard then, but is likely out
>of print by now.  If you can find one, grab it - it is a good reference with
>excellent examples - and covers quite a bit more than just networking -
>although it came out right after NT4 and Windows 95, so it is a bit dated.
>
>A more up to date book, and another good choice, is Network Programing for
>MS Windows by Jones and Ohlund.  This one provides excellent coverage of the
>current  MS implementation of WinSock2 (version 2.2)
>
>regards
>roy fine
>
>
>
>"Kenny Fong" <kenny.fong@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:eaMYjKAZEHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> I'm currently doing some beginner network programming using
>> CSocket/CAsyncSocket and everything seems to be working fine though i
>> haven't load tested my Client/Server applications on a 'noisy'
>communication
>> link yet. I'm eager to learn more so i want to move on to using WinSock.
>>
>> Need recommendations on any good WinSock 2 books / references out there. I
>> mostly work in Visual C++ MFC using VStudio 6.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Kenny Fong
>>
>>
>

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
0
newcomer (15972)
7/9/2004 5:09:35 PM
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

> However, I'm conerned with an earlier answer that characterized raw socket programming as
> "much less dangerous and more effective than using CSocket and CAsyncSocket.", since as
> far as I can tell, if you ignore that fact that no sane programmer uses synchronous
> sockets in a production program, that statement is nonsensical. There is nothing in the
> message that indicates why CAsyncSocket would be ineffective or dangerous, and as far as I
> can tell from several years of delivering network solutions, there are no downsides to
> CAsyncSocket. It sounds like more that that "I don't need no stinkin' library" stuff I see
> far too often. I have never encountered, anywhere, anything that suggests that
> CAsyncSocket compromises either safety or effectiveness. The only downside is that you
> can't port to other platforms, a low priority for most Windows applications.

Joe,

http://tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/articles/csocket.html

The above article from the (unofficial) "Winsock Programmer's FAQ" 
indicates why CAsyncSocket/CSocket/CCeSocket are considered harmful. 
The article basically says they were designed poorly and shouldn't be 
used because of that.  I have never checked the MFC implementation to 
see if it is true but I wouldn't be surprised if it is true.
0
trevor8686 (35)
7/9/2004 8:09:50 PM
Trevor wrote:
> Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> 
>> However, I'm conerned with an earlier answer that characterized raw 
>> socket programming as
>> "much less dangerous and more effective than using CSocket and 
>> CAsyncSocket.", since as
>> far as I can tell, if you ignore that fact that no sane programmer 
>> uses synchronous
>> sockets in a production program, that statement is nonsensical. There 
>> is nothing in the
>> message that indicates why CAsyncSocket would be ineffective or 
>> dangerous, and as far as I
>> can tell from several years of delivering network solutions, there are 
>> no downsides to
>> CAsyncSocket. It sounds like more that that "I don't need no stinkin' 
>> library" stuff I see
>> far too often. I have never encountered, anywhere, anything that 
>> suggests that
>> CAsyncSocket compromises either safety or effectiveness. The only 
>> downside is that you
>> can't port to other platforms, a low priority for most Windows 
>> applications.
> 
> 
> Joe,
> 
> http://tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/articles/csocket.html
> 
> The above article from the (unofficial) "Winsock Programmer's FAQ" 
> indicates why CAsyncSocket/CSocket/CCeSocket are considered harmful. The 
> article basically says they were designed poorly and shouldn't be used 
> because of that.  I have never checked the MFC implementation to see if 
> it is true but I wouldn't be surprised if it is true.

Like Joe, I like CAsyncSocket and have used it a lot for many years for 
external device control and communications (but not internet).

But everything in the winsock FAQ article is certainly true. 
CAsyncSocket's synchronous DNS lookups could disqualify it for some 
applications.  Other than that, the article has little criticism of 
CAsyncSocket.

-- 
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
scottmcp8856 (490)
7/9/2004 10:54:25 PM
"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
news:bqjte0dj6944djk3fjl3k0vrnr1n5kmb5t@4ax.com...
> The third edition of Win32 System Services, by Ron Reeves and Mashall
Brain, IS available,
> and in greatly expanded form.
>
> I used "Windows Socket Network Programming" by Quinn & Shute, and
"Internetworking with
> TCP/IP" by Comer & Stevens. For the Comer & Stevens, be aware that it has
both a
> Unix/Linux version and a Windows version, so get the Windows version.
>
> However, I'm conerned with an earlier answer that characterized raw socket
programming as
> "much less dangerous and more effective than using CSocket and
CAsyncSocket.", since as
> far as I can tell, if you ignore that fact that no sane programmer uses
synchronous
> sockets in a production program, that statement is nonsensical.

First, it is not a fact to be ignored, rather just your opinion.  As to
whether the statement makes sense, that is for the reader to determine.
You, on the other hand, often substitute nonsensical for "yeah, but i don't
do it that way", and vice versa.

I assume that you are referring to native WinSock2 API calls in stream mode
or datagram mode when you speak of raw socket programming, as opposed to raw
mode!.

Second - I don't recall proffering the quoted reference you cited: "much
less dangerous and more effective than using CSocket and CAsyncSocket"

Finally , I have several applications that run as a service, and that use
synchronous sockets only.  It is in a service, so MFC is not applicable -
but still, the synchronous socket programming concept travels well, even to
an MFC app.

And I am a great fan of MFC, so don't plunk me in that group that would rant
MFC eschewals.  But in the case of socket programming, and I have been doing
it for some time, MFC classes just don't seem to offer that much more -
either in capability or in encapsulation of complexities.

Consider this, which I am sure you have done many times on systems such as
PDP-8, TRS-80, Vax-11/780, Apollo DN 460, WinNT 3.1, and the like:

I have a service application that processes inquiries from client
workstations.

In the server/service piece there is a "Listener " thread.

In the listener thread, a SOCKET value is passes on startup that has been
initialized all the way through  to the listen function.

Another thread is created that handles the actual client request.

These are both created by the ServiceMain implementation.

In the listen thread, there is little else than a while(true) loop, with a
blocking call to accept - something like this:
while(true)
{
  SOCKET cs = accept(listenSock,&sa,&slen);
  if(cs == INVALID_SOCKET) break;
  ::PostMessage(hWnd,RESPOND_TO_CLIENT,0,(LPARAM)cs);
}

where hWnd represents a message only window that serves as queuing manager,
and client service processor.

The SOCKET variable that represents the listener is maintained in a context
struct and is available to the HandlerEx method in the service, and when the
service receives the stop notification, the listener socket is closed, which
causes the heretofore blocking accept call to return with INVALID_SOCKET.
The accept call in the listener thread blocks when I want it to block, and
releases when I want it to release...   I like it like that!

Note - unlike MFC objects, SOCKET handles can be passed freely between
threads.  I like that as well.

regards
roy fine

p/s/ Please provide references to substantiate the claim of fact that "no
sane programmer uses synchronous
sockets in a production program".  With strong references, I could either be
certifiably insane, or convinces to switch to asynchronous sockets for the
next application.
rlf




> There is nothing in the
> message that indicates why CAsyncSocket would be ineffective or dangerous,
and as far as I
> can tell from several years of delivering network solutions, there are no
downsides to
> CAsyncSocket. It sounds like more that that "I don't need no stinkin'
library" stuff I see
> far too often. I have never encountered, anywhere, anything that suggests
that
> CAsyncSocket compromises either safety or effectiveness. The only downside
is that you
> can't port to other platforms, a low priority for most Windows
applications.
> joe
>
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 23:05:15 -0400, "Roy Fine" <rlfine@twt.obfuscate.net>
wrote:
>
> >Keny,
> >
> >The one that I started with (and quite some time ago) was Win32 System
> >Services, by Marshall Brain.  ThisWAS the standard then, but is likely
out
> >of print by now.  If you can find one, grab it - it is a good reference
with
> >excellent examples - and covers quite a bit more than just networking -
> >although it came out right after NT4 and Windows 95, so it is a bit
dated.
> >
> >A more up to date book, and another good choice, is Network Programing
for
> >MS Windows by Jones and Ohlund.  This one provides excellent coverage of
the
> >current  MS implementation of WinSock2 (version 2.2)
> >
> >regards
> >roy fine
> >
> >
> >
> >"Kenny Fong" <kenny.fong@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >news:eaMYjKAZEHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >> I'm currently doing some beginner network programming using
> >> CSocket/CAsyncSocket and everything seems to be working fine though i
> >> haven't load tested my Client/Server applications on a 'noisy'
> >communication
> >> link yet. I'm eager to learn more so i want to move on to using
WinSock.
> >>
> >> Need recommendations on any good WinSock 2 books / references out
there. I
> >> mostly work in Visual C++ MFC using VStudio 6.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance!
> >>
> >> Kenny Fong
> >>
> >>
> >
>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com
> MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm


0
rlfine8815 (162)
7/10/2004 2:50:05 AM
The only problem I saw there was synchronous DNS lookup, which can be avoided anyway. When
I built a client/server system, I simply used asynchrouous DNS lookup without using
CAsyncSocket. That is, I always used the SOCKADDR connect form, and avoided the form with
the host address expressed as a text string. This is hardly a problem. It certainly isn't
a "danger". And I've never felt any pain from the fact that CAsyncSocket is not derived
from CWnd, nor have I had a problem adding network timeouts, which is rather trivial. So
The cited article hardly constitutes a major reason to avoid CAsyncSocket. For most users,
even the synchronous DNS lookup does not pose a problem. 

Frankly, I'd forgotten about the synchronous DNS lookup issue, although in my case I
wasn't using the built-in DNS lookup but was calling gethostbyname myself. When my client
reported the problem, it took me about a half-hour to fix it, adding
WSAAysncGetHostByName, and having solved it, there seems to have been no further problems.
I will, however, make a note of that for future observations. The use of this call was
part of my Windows networking course (which I have retired until I become fluent enough in
IPv6 to update the course)

So while there are a couple minor points, an aesthetic points, such as a class derived
from CWnd, and a functional point over synchronous DNS resolution, one of which is almost
irrelevant and the other of which is easily avoided, CAsyncSocket is hardly "dangerous" or
"ineffective". The article seems to focus more on the author's opinion of the design than
any serious functional problems. Now if you want a layered design that REALLY sucks, all
the MFC synchronization primitives should be thrown out. That is a real horror show. Since
CSocket doesn't matter (nobody should ever use it), its presence in the discussion is a
red herring (or Redmond herring?)

The passing-a-socket-across-thread-boundaries can be an issue, but one which is resolvable
in essentially two lines of code (one Detach and one Attach), and the same limitations
apply to other objects in MFC, so it is not out-of-line with other MFC issues one needs to
be careful with. It does not change the danger or effectiveness levels at all, as far as I
can tell.

However, as I tell my students, "If you can't use CAsyncSocket, go out an buy a
third-party socket library. Don't try to write one yourself". I've seen two projects crash
and burn (costing two people their jobs, in fact) because the programmers in question
decided that they didn't want to use CAsyncSocket, that raw asynchronous socket
programming would be the "right" way to do it. In one case, I was able to rewrite the code
in three days to use CAsyncSocket, and it has been working solidly for on the order of six
years. In the other case, the program required such substantial rewrite that the company
could not afford me, and as far as I know, they are still delivering a seriously defective
product (which hangs, crashes, and loses packets on a regular basis). In fact, what the
programmer had done was attempt to simulate synchronous sockets with asynchronous sockets,
then added threading to solve the problems this created, then got all the synchronization
wrong (e.g., setting a lock before a blocking call of indefinite length, using a global
shared buffer!). I've also headed off a few other disasters. So it is very important ,if
avoiding CAsyncSocket,, to use a reasonable asynchronous socket library as a replacement.
The Web site does point to a list of vendors, including the ones I have often recommended,
such as Dundas and SocketTools. The number of people who think they can do synchronous
sockets, or use raw WinSock for asynchronous sockets, is manifold. Most of them simply
don't want to fuss with a library, because it is so obviously simple to write it using raw
sockets. They are usually wrong. My observation is that given a programmer's salary,
divide the cost of the commercial socket package by that number, then challenge the
programmer to produce a fully-functional, general-purpose, fully debugged and documented,
asynchronous socket package in that many hours (that is, typically, between one and two
days' effort!). The result is a no-brainer. Buy.

CSocket, or any form of synchronous socket programming, is simply insane. Reliability
cannot be achieved in any system with blocking sockets, a fact which has been known since
the original Berkely Sockets were developed. There is rarely a justifiable reason to use
synchronous sockets in modern programming. So discussions that involve synchronous socket
programming can be dismissed. I think CSocket was an afterthought, wedged into the design
to satisfy people who actually thought that synchronous socket programming could make
sense. And it is known to have bugs.
				joe


On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:09:50 -0400, Trevor <trevor@spam.com> wrote:

>Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>
>> However, I'm conerned with an earlier answer that characterized raw socket programming as
>> "much less dangerous and more effective than using CSocket and CAsyncSocket.", since as
>> far as I can tell, if you ignore that fact that no sane programmer uses synchronous
>> sockets in a production program, that statement is nonsensical. There is nothing in the
>> message that indicates why CAsyncSocket would be ineffective or dangerous, and as far as I
>> can tell from several years of delivering network solutions, there are no downsides to
>> CAsyncSocket. It sounds like more that that "I don't need no stinkin' library" stuff I see
>> far too often. I have never encountered, anywhere, anything that suggests that
>> CAsyncSocket compromises either safety or effectiveness. The only downside is that you
>> can't port to other platforms, a low priority for most Windows applications.
>
>Joe,
>
>http://tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/articles/csocket.html
>
>The above article from the (unofficial) "Winsock Programmer's FAQ" 
>indicates why CAsyncSocket/CSocket/CCeSocket are considered harmful. 
>The article basically says they were designed poorly and shouldn't be 
>used because of that.  I have never checked the MFC implementation to 
>see if it is true but I wouldn't be surprised if it is true.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
0
newcomer (15972)
7/10/2004 6:45:21 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

how do i add my phone number to outlook address book ?
how do i add my phone number to outlook address book ? You can't. Why would you? The Outlook Address Book is only a list of electronic addresses to which you can address messages. Why would you need a phone number there? Phone numbers, like all Contact data, are stored in your Contacts Folder. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Ingaga" <Ingaga @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C2224F0-0E8B-4E20-A2AC-200B044053FD@microsoft.com... > how do i add my phone number to outlook address book ? What in the world is the purpse of the Outlook address book whe...

Not sure if Excel can do what i need
Hello all, I am obviously a new user to excel. I have a psychological assessmen that needs to be computerised for ease of use in obtaining results. Here is what i would like to happen. I have 28 questions with fiv Likert scale options(0-4) for answers. Each question addresses 1 of different personality traits. So questions 1, 6, 8, 22 look at anger. Where as questions 2, 9, 28 look at happiness. What i would like is fo excel to group the answers and give me the total number for each trait. Then based on that number, give out a prewritten (which i would provide result of the assessment. ...

Need Min Value from Row and Heading Value that Corresponds to it.
I have a table that looks somewhat like this w/o the *'d headings: h1 h2 h3 h4 h5 h6 h7 *Min Price *Heading $5.00 $6.00 $3.00 $4.00 $9.00 $1.00 $9.00 $1.00 h6 $3.00 $6.00 $8.00 $65.00 $9.00 $2.00 $4.00 $2.00 h6 $4.00 $9.00 $5.00 $7.00 $1.00 $2.00 $8.00 $1.00 h5 $9.00 $7.00 $6.00 $3.00 $9.00 $8.00 $2.00 $2.00 h7 $7.00 $8.00 $9.00 $7.00 $9.00 $8.00 $8.00 $7.00 h1 I have several SKU's with various price contract/programs. I want to find the best price in one cell and the heading that would correspond to that cell in another. I was trying to do this with an expression ...

C++ Overloading Operators
I'm having difficulties understanding how to overload operators in C++. C++ Help and various books provide some information, but not enough for me to really understand the subject. Can anyone suggest a good source of information? GordonP On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 19:31:49 -0700, "Gordon Padwick" <gpadwick@earthlink.net> wrote: >I'm having difficulties understanding how to overload operators in C++. C++ >Help and various books provide some information, but not enough for me to >really understand the subject. > >Can anyone suggest a good source of infor...

Excel need help
I have 2 columns a and b . a contains payment b contains balance. I have the entire col b with the formula. my ? is when the balance appearsin b it is in all the cells in that column.I only want it in the used ones, not the unused ones:( example $270.00 16,730.00 $270.00 16,460.00 $100.00 16,360.00 $300.00 16,060.00 $270.00 15,790.00 15,790.00 15,790.00 15,790.00 15,790.00 15,790.00 this 15790.00 is in col b...not a...I want no bal in unused cells -- fiftieslady ------------------------------------------------------------------------ fiftieslady's Profile: http://www.excelforum.co...

C# registry read converts string
i'm trying to read a registry key in both local and remote machines. for example the HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\LANMANWORKSTATION there is a key called "imagepath" this is a "reg_expand_sz" and it will look like: "%systemroot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs". when i run my code on either local or remote machine it will convert "%systemroot%" to the local machine system drive, in my cast "e:\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs". so now my output is incorrect. here is a sample of my code: if (t == Syst...

Need Help Linking Sheets
How can I link 2 pages without using the actual sheet as a reference? In other words, can I have two sheets linked by Identifying the same exact names one on each sheet? ...

Excel newbie needs help from math wiz (poker related)
I want to create a Excel workbook that will help in specific poker situations. Short version: I want to be able to calculate how often my opponent will need to fold for an all-in raise to show a positive expectation. Explanation: In poker you can win a hand by having the best hand at the end OR getting your opponent to fold. A common situation comes up where you have a "drawing hand" and face a bet by your opponent. In this situation you know you are currently behind in the hand, but have a chance to win if you catch some of your "outs" (cards that will give you th...

Macro help needed........
How do I sort a particular column in ascending order and change the pag setup to landscape and margins to 0.25 using a macro code ? does anyone have a macro code for this ????? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi you have already received some answers in your previous threads please don't multipost! -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > How do I sort a particular column in ascending order and change the > page setup to landscape and margins to 0.25 using a macro code ? > > does anyone have a macro code for this ?????? > > > --- > Me...

Link to a cell in another workbook by name rather than absolute c.
I need to get data from a total cell in one worksheet into a cell in another worksheet. Because the source worksheet will have lines added to it, I wanted to reference the cell by its row and column label (e.g. "Jan Sales"), rather than by an absolute cell reference. I tried several variations and keep getting the #REF and #NAME errors. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks. Name the actual cell and then reference the cell's name. -- Cutter ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/membe...

Need to test a mobo
I had a power surge about 3 weeks ago - lost a drive, now making ticking noises. I had another two drive that seem to work sporadically now. So, I thought it might have been my power supply. Bought a tester and found out that all seems well. Next, I bought a new hard drive and found that it was also acting up - making noises like whirring up and down (like the other drives I thought were dead). So I am starting to wonder if it is my mobo - but how can I test this out? I am using a dual boot - Win XP and Win 7 - both drives work and don't work. Up and down. Right now my Win7 ...

Help needed
is there anyway you can see what links to other workbooks are associated with the workbook you have open. The problem i am having is when i open the workbook in question a message appears and states "The workbook you opened contains automatic links to information in another workbook. do you want to update this workbook with changes made to the other workbook" Yes....... No. if i click No the workbook opens, however if i click Yes the workbook just hangs and i have to go into task manager to shut down the system. I can only assume that there is a problem with one of the links....

Need help on this....thanks
I have an Excel worksheet which stored a survey outcome of over 1200 members. There are over 30 questions in the survey and the first column captured the member ID. The problem is 3 of the survey questions that allow multiple answers, instead the answer for those three questions are captured in seperate column, the answers are stored in a single column and it makes it very difficult to analysis those result. As a result I created addittional columns depending on the total number of the answers available for that question and assign the result manually to that column. It is very time consuming ...

I need Help
I have a random popup that i cant stop,when it does come up it seems to know what i was looking at,like when i was looking for registry cleaner it popped up and showed me one,any help would be great. On Jan 22, 6:57=A0am, Larry <La...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a random popup that i cant stop,when it does come up it seems to k= now > what i was looking at,like when i was looking for registry cleaner it pop= ped > up and showed me one,any help would be great. To eliminate questions and guessing, please provide additional information about your sys...

need help badly
How do you print ole objects.. Thanks lachanda -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200710/1 On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 18:13:40 GMT, "misschanda via AccessMonster.com" <u36612@uwe> wrote: >How do you print ole objects.. >Thanks >lachanda What *kind* of OLE objects? Many of them are binary blobs (such as programs) which are inherently not printable. More details please! John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

Outlook adress book shuts outlook down
When I attempt to send a message and use the address book to get the address I get a message that Outlook.exe has caud=sed and error and the program will shut down and it does. Also part of the message is that a log is being made. On many occasions there is no warning, just a shut doen immediately when i enter a name into the address book name line. This does not happen in outlook express. Also I have access to the company server that also uses a separate outlook and there is no problem there. Any ideas or thoughts on this issue. Thanks. ChuckD ...

Stuck in review and need to be in design.
I am using Visio 2007. I need to complete the diagram that I have been working on and I hit the review key by mistake. How do I get back to the design screen? On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 16:14:01 -0800, cameron <cameron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am using Visio 2007. I need to complete the diagram that I have been >working on and I hit the review key by mistake. How do I get back to the >design screen? menu Tools -> Track Markup and then close the Review window. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. DFD/SSADM for Visio http://www.visio-dfd.sa...

Need Help Despertly!
I am in a desperate situation. I had to reformat my hard drive. Prior to do this, I copied my entire User Profile to another drive. I can now access my User Profile information from Windows Explorer. Now that I installed Microsoft Outlook, I do not see any of my Contacts. I need to restore my Contacts to the new Outlook installation. Again, I did save my entire "User Profile" from my previous installation of Windows 2000 Professional. I just do not know how to access my Contact information from Outlook that included addresses and phone numbers and such. Any help would be greatly appr...

Plug in needed
Looking for an Outlook plug in which, on reply to a e-mail, will:- a) allow selective quoting only, and b) not top quote. Anything around at all? Much to my horror (sorry guys) the Boss wants us to use Outofluck at work! -- On the carpool lane lane to Nirvana. John Phillips <flatulentdingo@deadspam.com> wrote: > Looking for an Outlook plug in which, on reply to a e-mail, will:- > > a) allow selective quoting only, and > > b) not top quote. > > Anything around at all? The best Outlook adjunct I've found for quote handling on replies is Outlook-Quotef...

What is the Need for XSD in Application Blocks designing
Can anyone help in clearing my doubt Hi, There is a need for me to implement Application Blocks in my project, (Basically 3 tire), the project comprises of UIL, BLL,Business Entities, DAL.. When i saw the example programs from User Interface Application Block example, which is implementing the Business Layer part, Interface for BLL and Business Entity part where by i am not able to understand the real usage of XSD's and the autogenerated C#? Can anyone explain me what is the process flow behind this fuda in a simple terms. Thanks in Advance Jagadeesh ...

Need to Hire Outlook 2003 Help
Hi I'd like to hire someone that can walk me through some specific stuff with outlook 2003 I'm using the Lotus Notes to Outlook plugin My compnay is a Notes shop - which means I get NO support for outlook --- this plugin is a god send and i want to make sure I get it set up correctly It's coming out of my pocket but I'm willing to pay if I can find the right person to help me Please post ideas here or email me Thanks Brendan ...

Need Help with Excel and Flagging Outcomes!
I’m using Excel 2007, and here is my question… I want to put a formula in cell C3 that looks at outcomes in cell B3. If the raw score outcome in cell B3 has the following values, I would like cell C3 to provide the following words: IF: THEN: B3=Blank C3=Blank B3= Greater than 0-1.9 C3=Definitely False B3=2.0-2.9 C3=Mostly False B3=3.0-3.9 C3=Don’t Know B3=4.0-4.9 C3=Mostly True B3= 5.0 or greater C3=Definitely True Thank you for your help! Hi This should do it: =IF(B3=0,"",IF(B3<2,"Definet...

Which setting do I need to adjust
I've noticed that when using my default browser IE 8 and I click on a link that is suppose to start a download, it doesn't. When I click on the same link in firefox the download starts like it should. Can anyone tell me what setting in IE 8 is preventing the download from starting? on the page it says "Downloading: 50fpct-Just4freeplanet.com.rar | 34.7 MB" but in IE 8 it isn't downloading. It also isn't asking me if I want to allow IE 8 to download the file like it sometimes does. Thanks Shep wrote: > I've noticed that when using my d...

I really need help. Need a formula. Need it yesterday.
I'm new to Excel formulas, and I need one that is well beyond me at this stage, but probably a piece of cake for an Excel Wizard. I have a modest staffing schedule on Excel that shows several teams of employees with staffing requirements that may change every thirty minutes, as does the number of employees available in each team. I have the spreadsheet linked to another that provides the total, overall staffing requirement for each half hour, so that the total staffing requirement for each half-hour automatically loads to my staffing schedule. Likewise with the total number of emp...

need help! very urgently needed
i am using an Activex control in a dialog based applicaton(VC++). created an member variable for that(myportcontroller). In a non-stati function i am able to call the Activex control methods using the membe variable and worked fine. But i need to call the activex control method in an static function. Here i cannot use the member variable as it is static function. So, i declared an object for Activex control class Using that object i called the methods. I had no compile time error But i am getting run time assertion error as "winocc.cpp line:345". Ca anybody help? I need very urgen...