Monitor MFC Executable

I have an application that runs 24 hours a day.

The problem I have is that it is crashing at random times, e.g 18 hours of
usage, 44 hours of usage etc and when it crashes it leaves no message/error
box/information.

When I start my application, I kill explorer so that the desktop cannot be
accessed.
Could this be causing the crash in some way?

The first time I have started my app by using the debug exe, which reported
an error in the event viewer as shown below:-

" The Instruction at "0x6dee 14ba" referenced memory at "0x025b8348".
The memory could not be "read".
No Data".

To me this looks like a pointer problem possibly accessing a NULL pointer or
invalid pointer operation.

I then kicked off my application from the VC++ IDE in the hope that when it
crashed i would be able to see which part of my code caused the problem.

the app ran for nearly 2 days and when i came in next day all that was
showing was the desktop background. There was no error message,not sure if
someone else cleared it, but when i looked up the event viewer there was no
entry.

What i'd like to know is how i can trace what's causing this. Can I do it
through the VC++ IDE? Is there an app I can use to trace whats going on and
which will give me an idea of what the problem is?

Thanks In Advance,
Macca
0
macca (52)
9/15/2004 9:44:08 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In message <798A97DD-C346-4655-B253-C77623020C0F@microsoft.com>, Macca
<Macca@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
>I have an application that runs 24 hours a day.
>
>The problem I have is that it is crashing at random times, e.g 18 hours of
>usage, 44 hours of usage etc and when it crashes it leaves no message/error
>box/information.

http://www.softwareverify.com

Apply to join the Crash Validator Beta.

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited    http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk

Strange crash when executing exe file from debug folder directly
Hi. I've got a strange problem executing my code. It crashes everytime I run the exe file directly (not with execute from visual studio workspace) from /Debug/ folder. If I run it within the workspace there isn't any problem. The only thing I changed in my code is, that I generated a new Thread-Class for the AfxMessageBox windows. I didn't want the program always to stop whenever a messagebox was launched. I would be very thankfull if anybody could give his opinion about this. Best regards, Gellchen Does you program need any parameters that are passed to it when you debug in...

MFC DLL Dialog Box
Hello All, I am trying to link a MFC DLL to a MFC executable. The MFC DLL has a dialog template in it and has one entry point function in it. Dialog box template has the corresponding class as CLoadDlg. >From the executable I call the entry point function. Everything is working fine till this point. Now in entry point function I am creating a dialog box object and trying to display the dialog box (by calling DoModal). But this is not working and I see an assertion failure. Can someone give me some hints on how to get this dialog box up from the DLL. In DLL: ======= extern "C" ...

SMTP Monitor
We're running SBS2003, and relaying email from several remote Java applications through our own Exchange server (SBS). I need to measure the resource strain of this, and assume I want to monitor SMTP. What's the best way to capture that info? Resource strain in terms of... ? - cpu - memory - drive i/o - volume of particular smtp traffic from/to server or recipient Perfmon and smtp logs will do it. Having a baseline will help. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "Runner" <pwright@searchsoft.net> wrote in message news:uIuvetuvFHA.2212@TK2MS...

Running Windows Media Player from MFC Application Query?
Hi all I am making an application in which i displaying in a list control all the mp3 files belonging to a folder selected by the user. I want to add the following functionality. As soon as the user double clicks on any of the displayed MP3 file, i want to invoke the windows Media Player and play that MP3 file. Now how i invoke the Windows Media Player for my MFC Application? Waiting for suggestions Regards ...

Orientation of monitor picture?
At home I'm running Windows XP Media Center with a 22" LCD from AOC and a Radeon HD 3850 or something. The cheapy HD card. Is there a way to change the orientation of things so things display vertical rather than horizontal or is that dependant on my video card or monitor to have that capability? I'm playing some pinball games that would look sweet if I could temporarily turn the monitor sideways. I looked and it should support vertical scaling, maybe I just don't know how to do it. Maybe there's some other software besides just the driver I need,...

OneChildDialog -Different Views-MFC,SDI
Hai I Just need to ask a Question like i have a Child Dialog which i created in a First View and i want that childDialog to be the child of SecondView also and can you please tell me which would be the appropriate way of doing it Thanks and Regards Mike Mike wrote: > Hai > I Just need to ask a Question like i have a Child Dialog which i created > in a First View and i want that childDialog to be the child of SecondView > also and can you please tell me which would be the appropriate way of doing it > Thanks and Regards > ...

MFC future?
I'm a home programmer who occasionally does programming for work using MFCs. I have not yet had a chance to look at VS 2005. Are there changes to MFCs? It seems Microsoft is heavily pushing .NET. Is MFC slowly being phased out? (Do I finally have to learn .NET?) Any guidance from the professionals out there? Thanks, Paul Please see http://blog.voidnish.com/?p=86 -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "NewbProgrammer" <paul_kiefer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1133363897.273228.83080@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I'm a home programmer who occasionally does pr...

Attempt to execute com object RmsGcm.Rms failed
When I go to tender a sale I get the message "Attempt to execute COM object RmsGcm.Rms failed" - How can I fix this? "Mark_MVN" <MarkMVN@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:8AD9EEDD-BF94-4EB7-8C9C-12B060860EE7@microsoft.com... > When I go to tender a sale I get the message "Attempt to execute COM > object > RmsGcm.Rms failed" - How can I fix this? It's an add-on. Contact your RMS vendor! antonio "Mark_MVN" wrote: The solution is as follows: 1.) Shutdown the PC. 2.) Remove the parallel printer cable f...

Code Execution has been interupted
I have written a macro within excel. Works really well but can take up to an hour to process. Problem is that every now and again, I get the message "code execution has been interupted". I read the help file and this does not help. I am not pressing "Ctrl-break" or any other combination of keys. In fact I am not even touching the keyboard at the time! Anyone any clues as to why this might happen? The macro does access some other spreadsheet, but these are no opened by anyone else at the time (they are all on my C drive). Help anyone? Without seeing the code, it...

Problem in calling C function from MFC based code ...
Hi All I am trying to call a C based function from C++ code. It works when my code looks like #ifdef __cplusplus extern "C" { #endif :::: ::::: main code ::::: #ifdef __cplusplus } #endif When i try calling converting my C++ class have CObject as base class or even include the file afx.h i get a lot of errors ... first few error are 1. c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio ..NET\Vc7\include\new.h(109): error C2733: second C linkage of overloaded function 'operator new' not allowed 2. c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio ..NET\Vc7\include\new.h(112): error C2733: s...

How to identify two byte characters in an MFC program?
In my MFC app, I have an EditBox. When user enters data and clicks a button I need to store that data. But if there are nothing but only spaces entered, I need to output an error msg. I could do that easily with normal single byte character spaces ( handling the ASCII value of space which is 32 ), but when it comes to two byte Japanese characters it's a problem. I did something like this: if( temp.Compare( " " ) == 0 ){ //temp is a CString variable MessageBox( "ERROR", 0, 0 ); } The space between " " is a two byte Japanese character space...

why use Monitor.Enter...Monitor.Exit insted of lock(object9
Hi! If I want to lock a section in the code from concurrency item problems I can use the static Monitor class in this way Monitor:Enter .... Monitor.Exit I can also use the C# lock keyword to lock the same section. So I don't see any point at all to use the Monitor.Enter... Monitor.Exit instead of the lock keword just to lock a section in the code because of two reasons. 1. It much less to write lock then the other 2. The most importand it that you get the try..finally for free which mean that you will always free the lock in case of running into same kind of excepti...

Query related to using .chm file in MFC Application?
Hi I have a demo SDI application, where i have added 2 sub menu items(Help Topic 1<ID_HELP_TOPIC1> & Help Topic 2<ID_HELP_TOPIC2>) in the Help drop down menu. Now when the user presses <Help1> button i want to open a different .htm page of my .chm help file. Similarly if the user presses <Help2> button i want to open different .htm page. To achieve this i have followed the following link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/191118/EN-US Below is the code that is added by me in the file MainFrm.cpp static const DWORD aMenuHelpIDs[] = { ID_HELP_...

monitor queue
Is there a way to have the exchange server send a message to the administrator when the outbound queue gets to a certain limit? Or is there a 3rd party utility that will do that? TIA ...

MFC-App on W2K and NT
hi! i have an application running under W2K/XP and NT. while it behaves normally with W2K and XP the app claims 100% of CPU-usage under NT though no activity is forced by the user - just after starting the app the CPU-usage increases to 100%... any ideas? thanks, philipp ...

Email monitoring and ethics
Setting ethics aside for a second... A business owner client of ours needs to "monitor" email for one of his employees.. They use Exchange 2003, and Outlook 2003. What is the best way to set this up so that the employee cannot tell his mail is being monitored? By "monitoring" I mean... The president wants to see ALL email to/from this individual. Thanks, Troy Message journalling.... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=843105 "Troy Bruder" <troy.bruder@aptconsulting.com> wrote in message news:uOcslx0xEHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl......

SQL Server 2000 log shipping monitor
Hi, In my SQL Server 2000, we don't have any Log Shipping now. However, we still have two records in the Log Shipping Monitor, and it seems to bother other backup job. How do we fix this problem? Thanks for help. Jason "Jason Huang" <JasonHuang8888@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%2366ki7$cKHA.4880@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > In my SQL Server 2000, we don't have any Log Shipping now. > However, we still have two records in the Log Shipping Monitor, and it > seems to bother other backup job. > How do we fix this pr...

Learning MFC
I'm thinking about learning MFC and I have just got a copy of Prosise's book "Programming Windows with MFC 2ed", which covers MFC 6 if I'm not mistaken. This leads to my question: I'm using VC++.NET which has the new MFC 7. Will that pose a problem for me, i.e. using a book on MFC 6 but the tool is MFC 7? Thanks in advance. Jacob Having an understanding of Win32 messages and previous MFCs is not a problem. There will be slight differences in updates , bug fixes, slight changes in behaviour etc but the book is fine. Its a good book to learn MFC with a backgroung...

monitor
I suppose this is not very Vista related but I am running Windows Vista on a laptop. I have a 20" monitor sitting here that I used on the desktop which I sold. Is there anyway a separate monitor can be plugged into my laptop. I prefer this 20" monitor. The connection at the end of the monitor does not seem to fit in any slots on the laptop. Any help is appreciated. "Karen F" <fetter@frontiernet.net> wrote: >I suppose this is not very Vista related but I am running Windows Vista on a >laptop. I have a 20" monitor sitting here that...

Drawing lib for MFC apps?
Crosspost: microsoft.public.vc.mfc,microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc,microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc.libraries Drawing lib for MFC apps? Hi all, I have to build drawing capabilities into an already existing MFC application. I am looking now for a lib, ActiveX control or whatever, that lays an additional level of abstraction over MFC (like wxWidgets for example). This level should emphasize drawing, spliting, size-changing of rectangles. Yes, that doesn't seem to be very sophisticated drawing, but, nevertheless I'd like to have something more advanced than MFC. I have ...

Monitoring Tools
Hi, I was asked if there are any freeware or low cost solutions that would allow an administrator to monitor Exchange Server. Would like to be able to: Monitor user activity View most active users View user email activities, etc.. Amount of mail into and out of server And other administrative tasks like that. Thanks, Try this link and see the monitoring section http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/default.mspx "FryeR" <FryeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B4A60E6C-5252-44C7-A74F-E20227359802@mic...

On dual-monitor sysytems, base child windows on parent window loca
I am using a dual monitor system. I have the MS CRM window on my secondary monitor, while working with our product on the primary monitor. Every time MS CRM spawns a child window (such as a new KB article or e-mail), that window gets created in the center of the primary monitor, on top of the work I need to see. So every time, I have to drag the window back over to the other monitor. (For people with dexterity/RSI issues, this is really irritating.) Please consider drawing new windows relative to the coordinates of existing windows. Or, in plain language, keep all the CRM windows in t...

how to import an existing dialog box from one application to another application in MFC
please let me know, how to import an existing dialog box from one application to another application in MFC. "kranti" <k_madineni@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1169109662.381621.218610@38g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > please let me know, how to import an existing dialog box from one > application to another application in MFC. I have Visual Studio 2002 and have done just that with a few dialogs... Open the new project you are working on and on the solutions tab, right click on the top node - solution 'name'. Choose Add->Existing project and add the ol...

Monitoring
Can I view and log another accounts activity and save it for offline? If so, how? ...

resizable window in MFC
Hello, it is possible to create a MFC dialog window that resize all the child controls it has automatically? I mean, I have at the bottom right some buttons, and I want that as the user enlarge/decrease the size of the window all the buttons are rescaled/repositioned automatically. Actually I do all the calculations myself on the OnSize, and it's boring :) Any help? Many thanks, Luca Luca wrote: > it is possible to create a MFC dialog window that resize all the child > controls it has automatically? I mean, I have at the bottom right some > buttons, and I want that as th...