MFC vs. WinForms #2

I need to design a program with a GUI using the Microsoft Visual Studio
platform.  I have substantial experience writing programs with Borland C++
Builder, but I have not used Visual Studio before.

I would like to gather some opinions on whether I should learn MFC for the
design, or whether I should make the leap to using C# and the WinForms
approach (I have no experience with C#).  Basically, I would like to find
out the tradeoffs (i.e. learning curves, reusability, portability, etc.).

Also, I am unclear as to why WinForms are unavailable in Visual C++ .NET,
since my understanding is that WinForms are part of the .NET framework.

Any information is appreciated.  And, if there is a more appropriate group
for this posting, please let me know.

- Vic

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

There is no good answer for this. You can choose either MFC or WinForms. I
will however lean towards WinForms only because it is going to the new apps
will be written. In addition, I dont expect MFC to see any significant
updates. Its going to be about how MFC can mingle with .Net etc. For someone
who has no experience with MFC, it makes even more sense to go towards .Net.
..Net WinForms are far easier to learn than MFC, IMO.

WinForms are available in all languages, including C++.

--
Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++]
ajaykalra@yahoo.com

"Victor Hannak" <victor.hannak@nospam.kodak.com> wrote in message
> I need to design a program with a GUI using the Microsoft Visual Studio
> platform.  I have substantial experience writing programs with Borland C++
> Builder, but I have not used Visual Studio before.
>
> I would like to gather some opinions on whether I should learn MFC for the
> design, or whether I should make the leap to using C# and the WinForms
> approach (I have no experience with C#).  Basically, I would like to find
> out the tradeoffs (i.e. learning curves, reusability, portability, etc.).
>
> Also, I am unclear as to why WinForms are unavailable in Visual C++ .NET,
> since my understanding is that WinForms are part of the .NET framework.
>
> Any information is appreciated.  And, if there is a more appropriate group
> for this posting, please let me know.
>
> - Vic

0
ajaykalra (6842)
11/12/2004 3:26:08 AM
I agree with Ajay but depending upon your area of focus , you may find
yourself P/Invoking . Meaning
..Net won't solve all your problems as .Net does not deal with many low level
things.
Using MFC , you have direct acces to APIs . P/invoke may affect performance
if it is an issue.

With a borland C++ builder background , C# will be much faster to learn then
MFC.

There seem to be no good answer as Ajay said , and IMO it may depend upon
what exactly
your code will be doing.

If it is an database application, then i think you will be much better of
with C# , but you may
want to stick to MFC if you need a lot of low level functionalities or if
your application is time critical.

JB.

> There is no good answer for this. You can choose either MFC or WinForms. I
> will however lean towards WinForms only because it is going to the new
apps
> will be written. In addition, I dont expect MFC to see any significant
> updates. Its going to be about how MFC can mingle with .Net etc. For
someone
> who has no experience with MFC, it makes even more sense to go towards
..Net.
> .Net WinForms are far easier to learn than MFC, IMO.
>
> WinForms are available in all languages, including C++.
>
> --
> Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++]
> ajaykalra@yahoo.com
>

> "Victor Hannak" <victor.hannak@nospam.kodak.com> wrote in message
> > I need to design a program with a GUI using the Microsoft Visual Studio
> > platform.  I have substantial experience writing programs with Borland
C++
> > Builder, but I have not used Visual Studio before.
> >
> > I would like to gather some opinions on whether I should learn MFC for
the
> > design, or whether I should make the leap to using C# and the WinForms
> > approach (I have no experience with C#).  Basically, I would like to
find
> > out the tradeoffs (i.e. learning curves, reusability, portability,
etc.).

> > Also, I am unclear as to why WinForms are unavailable in Visual C++
..NET,
> > since my understanding is that WinForms are part of the .NET framework.
> >
> > Any information is appreciated.  And, if there is a more appropriate
group
> > for this posting, please let me know.
> >
> > - Vic

A strange problem with MFC
Hi, Rencently I met a strange problem. The code like below: CWinThread* pThread = AfxBeginThread(ThreadFunc, (LPVOID)this, THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL, 0, CREATE_SUSPENDED); if(pThread->m_hThread != NULL){ pThread->m_bAutodelete = FALSE; pThread->ResumeThread(); } After the statement "pThread->m_bAutodelete = FALSE" executed, I found the value of pThread->m_hThread is 0. While pThread->m_bAutodelete is still 1! The code section located in a win32 static library, with /Md option.The host application(exe) is a win32 console application, with /Md option. There...

XP styles and Unicode in VS 2005
I need to use XP style in my MFC projects. My projects are not UNICODE. In VS 2003 i was able to use XP styles. I have imported the same projects in VS 2005 and I am not able to use XP styles. Is it possible to use XP styles in NOT UNICODE projects in VS 2005? "BobbyJones" <BobbyJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B263D28-F094-4C1F-BAB5-A35DDD86FAF3@microsoft.com... >I need to use XP style in my MFC projects. > My projects are not UNICODE. > In VS 2003 i was able to use XP styles. > I have imported the same projects in VS 2005 and I am not...

which better: Frequency vs Histogram
I read "Explore Histograms" in http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011109481033.aspx and found it educational. However, I can't see a difference in output between using a Histogram and using the Frequency function. Can anybody share the pros and cons of each? I think you have missed the point. The article says that the table produced by the ATP histogram tool is exactly the same as the table (with same bin definitions) produced by the FREQUENCY function. The difference is not in the values calculated, but in the fact that the histogram table is a static t...

Netscape wants to come up even when outlook is default client #2
i have a strange problem. I have users that click on an email link and about every 3 out of 10 times the system will launch netscape messenger instead of outlook 2002( which is set as the default mail client).Any ideas? ...

CListCtrl update model: invalidate/update vs immediate
Hi, I was wondering, why does this control (or controls in general) update itself immediately instead of in the update/'onpaint' handler? All kinds of 'stupid' setredraw magic appears to be needed sometimes due to this. The update is happening in the WM_PAINT handler. When you add a new item, or change an item in a listctrl it will send a WM_PAINT message to itself. AliR. "Olaf van der Spek" <OlafvdSpek@GMail.Com> wrote in message news:%23rV%23r6xLFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I was wondering, why does this control (or controls in ge...

check box #2
Is it possible to format a cell that if you click it a checkmark appears? If so, how? Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) On Error GoTo ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = False If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A1:A10")) Is Nothing Then With Target If .Value = "a" Then .Value = "" Else .Value = "a" .Font.Name = "Marlett" End If .Offset(0, 1).Select End With End If ws_exit: Applicatio...

Works Spreadsheet #2
A client has sent us an address list with a *.xlr extension which she says is a Works spreadsheet. Is there any way I can open it? I have Microsoft Office which includes Excel. ..xlr??? XLK�� XLL�� XLM�� XLS�� XLT�� XLV�� XLW�� Margo Quoted from a post by Ken Wright........... Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, .csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.com/ind�exjs.htm?/convert...

Finding a string within a string #2
Let's say A1 = aaaaaaa aaaaaaa (bbbb@ccccc.ddd) eeeeeee A2 = aaa aaaaaaa (fffff@ccccc.ddd) eeeeeee A3 = aaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaa (ggggg@ccccc.ddd) eeeeeee I want to pull out everything within the parentheses. I'm trying to figure out how to do this with a combination of Left and Search commands but I'm too stupid. HELP! Hi see your other posting >-----Original Message----- >Let's say >A1 = aaaaaaa aaaaaaa (bbbb@ccccc.ddd) eeeeeee >A2 = aaa aaaaaaa (fffff@ccccc.ddd) eeeeeee >A3 = aaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaa (ggggg@ccccc.ddd) eeeeeee > > >I want to pull out everyt...

Unicode in MFC
Hi, I am new to MFC programming and I have a problem: when I try to write the caption of a button or something else in my own language(Farsi), in the design mode it shows the correct string but when I compile it it shows a '?' instead of every character. Can anyone please help me with that. > I am new to MFC programming and I have a problem: > when I try to write the caption of a button or something else in my > own language(Farsi), in the design mode it shows the correct string > but when I compile it it shows a '?' instead of every character. Can > anyone ple...

Pop-up Window #2
Whenever Outlook (2003) opens---either manually or at automatically---a pop up message box appears with the words C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]/Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns\C:\Program Files MICROS`2\OFFICE11\Addins\outbac.dll" is not a valid Office Add-in. with an OK button it that makes it disappear when I click it. I'm not 100% sure what this message relates to or what I did to make Outlook think it needed to show me it all the time, but if someone can help me with settings or some other method to prevent it from appearing then I would be most appreciative. Kindest ...

pls help troubleshoot ms office...unable 2 configure ..so unable
-- mcp Where do you get stuck and in which version of Outlook? Account settings for the largest free email providers can be found here; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/accountsettings.htm BTW: Next time, use the body to specify your configuration and to clarify your request. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Rambo" <Rambo@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

return int value to OS in MFC App
Hi, Everybody. I have to make A MFC app to return int value to Operatiing System.. if i could use WinMain() function, this is not matter. but MFC does not reveal WinMain().... How can i solve this problem? Can Anybody help me with this problem? <flybluewing@bcline.com> wrote in message news:1189386249.923483.59250@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com... > Hi, Everybody. > > I have to make A MFC app to return int value to Operatiing System.. > > if i could use WinMain() function, this is not matter. > but MFC does not reveal WinMain().... > How can i solve this problem?...

Microsoft Money 2006 Small Business #2
All of a sudden this program won't open. It quickly flashes open then immediately shuts down. I am also having this same problem with spreadsheets (Works Suite). Does anyone know how to get it to open? In microsoft.public.money, rehbrh wrote: >All of a sudden this program won't open. It quickly flashes open then >immediately shuts down. I am also having this same problem with >spreadsheets (Works Suite). > >Does anyone know how to get it to open? In Windows Explorer, find sample.mny in your install folder (typically "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Mon...

Float Menu Excel 2003 vs 2007
Hi All In a [2003] workbook I've got a "help sheet" with various help topics. When activated a float_menu appears from which the user can select a topic from a userform. This works great, however in 2007 the float_menu doesn’t appear. Any suggestions ? As always any help will be much appreciated. This is my code: Regular module: Sub Float_Menu_help() Dim newMenu As CommandBar, newControl, newItem, subMenu Dim c 'remove custom menu if it exists Delete_HelpMenu 'create new menu and display it Set newMenu = CommandBars.Add(Name:="Help_Menu", _ T...

How to... #2
Hello group I would like to have the functionality: If I enter a zipcode - it automatically inserts the corresponding city. How can I do that? -- Fortis "Wiper" wrote: > Hello group > > I would like to have the functionality: > > If I enter a zipcode - it automatically inserts the corresponding > city. > > How can I do that? > Wiper - When you say 'automatically' do you mean immediately after the zip code is entered (i.e. with scripting) or after the form is saved (workflow, plug-in, etc.)? Assuming you mean scripting - in that case ...

Outlook (and Word) Spell check original text in reply #2
I have a couple of my users where Word spell checks original text i reply even though it is marked in tools as Do not Spell Check Origina Text in Reply. If I turn Word off as the editor, then it works fine. This does not occur on all of my machines, only on two... I use Word 2 and Outlook 2K. Any ideas why this is happening? I appreciate the help -- rcstechnologyPosted via http://www.officehelp.in - &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.officehelp.in&quot;&gt;Microsoft Office Software&lt;/a&gt ...

mfc and IE activeX
I'm using VS 2003 and trying to use Internet Explorer in my MFC application but encountering problems If I built a very simple test dialog-application and drop in the IE it works exactly as expected. However, when I create a similar dialog box in my MFC application and call the ...DoModal() nothing appears at all - not even the dialog box itself. It's as if my application does not want to use ActiveX components - I also tried a couple of other Microsoft ActiveX controls and they have the same problem. I must be missing something obvious - any one with any ideas will be much ...

Excel2003 vs 2007 ... :(
Excel2003 vs 2007 ... I have many Templates, charts etc created in Excel2003 & many have Recorded Macro's attached to Forms Buttons ... These Temps work perfect in Excel2003 ... I think they may also work in Excel2007??? However .... Issue is ... some folks have Excel2003 (WindowsXP) while others who update these Files have Windows7 (Excel2007) ... We often end up with File corruption or Excel has encountered an error & must close ... etc etc ... when attempting to work these Files between the 2 Office Systems & 2 Excels .... very disenchanting. We have use...

Static CMap object #2
Hi all, Excuse but the other message is wrong I've declared in my .h file the following CMap type : typedef CMap<CString, CString&, MyClass*, MyClass*&> Map; ... ... class AnotherClass { ... public: static Map BuilderMap; ... ... static void Register(CString name, MyClass* instance); }; In one of my CPP file call the Register method as following: AnotherClass::Register(_T("TEST"), this); The code of Register method is : void AnotherClass::Register(CString name, MyClass* instance) { AnotherClass::BuilderMap.SetAt(name, instance); } When linking my project there t...

MSCRM 3
Hi My company is looking at installing MSCRM 3. They want to use SQL Server 2000 as the backend. I think SQL Server 2005 is the way to go, but I need some convincing reasons why. Can some one list me some advantages of going with SQL Server 2005 that related directly to CRM. Much regards Tom Advantages specific to CRM? Hmm, let me see. 1. Improved performance (I haven't experienced it myself yet, but I guess/hope that SQL 2005 has better performance than SQL 2000). Ok, it's not specific to CRM, but it is relevant. 2. Maybe the improved SQL Server Reporting Services 2005. This has ...

Need Help with MFC!!
Hi all, need help esp. with Graphic part. When you right click on any drive on your machine and click properties, you get a tabbed dialog. I want to know how can I embed graphic image (pie chart) into my MFC Dialog? I have written code which displays the Disk Usage right now but don't know how to display that info as a PIE CHART!!!!!! besides what type of MFC Dialog application should I look fwd to build? I want exactly as the DRIVE properties. TIA -- ======== Regards Vai ======== Have you looked at the CDC::Pie method? joe On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:07:11 -0400, "Vai2000"...

2 Email accounts
Hi, I have a user with 2 email address, ex bob@afdf.com and tango@afdf.com. Under the user I have both email addresses setup as a smtp address. bob@afdf.com is set as the primary email address. Problem: The user wishes to pick which email address to use when sending a message or replying to a message. Righ now every message he sends out or reply's to is sent with bob@afdf.com. Is there a way that I can configure this so he can choose which one he wishes to use? Thanks Will need third party tool for Outlook, http://www.ivasoft.biz/choosefrom.shtml -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE...

Lookups #2
Hi, I'm not having much luck with doing a simple lookup. For simplicity sake, I have a table with three columns: name (A), duration (B), and priority (C). The table is sorted (and constantly resorted) by priority. I need to be able to look up duration values (in B) by their names (in A). My understanding is that LOOKUP requires the lookup array to be sorted by the lookup column. In my case, I don't and can't have it sorted that way, so the function returns invalid values. Is there a way to do this? Thanks Dmitry =VLOOKUP(LookupValue,A:B,2,0) no need to sort anything --...

Sender Filtering #2
Is there a way to export/import addresses from/into the Sender Filtering, under Message Delivery Properties? ...

Sharing vs. Delegate Access
Can anyone tell me the difference between Sharing (email, calendars,folders) vs. Delegate and delegate access? I can't find anything comparing the two!! Help! Sharing is just that - you share your folders with others. Delegates have 'send on behalf of' permission and can accept meetings on your behalf. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: EMO-...