MFC vs. Forms

I am building a DirectX app and chose MFC basically because there was
plenty of sample code for integrating DirectX renders into an MFC app.
I had heard that Forms were the new thing and MFC was old.  Is this
true?

I had no sample Forms code for doing a DirectX/Windows app so I am
hoping MFC is not being replaced.

Can anyone educate me on the differences and what people are using the
most?

vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Forms are a way of writing apps. MFC is a way of writing apps. No particular reason to
call one "modern" and one "old". For example, a dialog-based app in MFC is essentially
impossible to tell from a C# forms app.

Don't worry about it. Choose whatever means you want. Dialog-based MFC, CFormView-based
MFC, Forms-based C#. Pick whatever you like.

MFC is not being replaced, in spite of the fact this question keeps coming up. It is
largely nonsense. If MFC is replaced, it will because people start writing using another
technology. That will happen when the new technology provides advantages that MFC doesn't.
Right now, we see no such technology emerging. C# is cool, but there's a lot of things it
can't do.
				joe

On 19 Feb 2005 15:43:12 -0800, "fieldingprod@earthlink.net" <fieldingprod@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>I am building a DirectX app and chose MFC basically because there was
>plenty of sample code for integrating DirectX renders into an MFC app.
>I had heard that Forms were the new thing and MFC was old.  Is this
>true?
>
>I had no sample Forms code for doing a DirectX/Windows app so I am
>hoping MFC is not being replaced.
>
>Can anyone educate me on the differences and what people are using the
>most?

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
2/20/2005 4:05:24 AM
We recently went through this whole thought process when refactoring a
current application to a new GUI.  After considerable investigation and soul
searching we stayed with MFC because 1) We knew how to use it, 2) There are
tons of examples and libraries available, 3) We couldn't see any compelling
reason to change.  Forms drags a lot of the .NET stuff with it and for a
native Windows application it just didn't look like it would be worth the
baggage.  FWIW, our new application is working well.  I don't think
Microsoft has any plans to deprecate MFC.  It works well and lots of people
use it.

Tom

<fieldingprod@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I am building a DirectX app and chose MFC basically because there was
> plenty of sample code for integrating DirectX renders into an MFC app.
> I had heard that Forms were the new thing and MFC was old.  Is this
> true?
>
> I had no sample Forms code for doing a DirectX/Windows app so I am
> hoping MFC is not being replaced.
>
> Can anyone educate me on the differences and what people are using the
> most?

0
tserface (3860)

XP styles and Unicode in VS 2005
I need to use XP style in my MFC projects. My projects are not UNICODE. In VS 2003 i was able to use XP styles. I have imported the same projects in VS 2005 and I am not able to use XP styles. Is it possible to use XP styles in NOT UNICODE projects in VS 2005? "BobbyJones" <BobbyJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B263D28-F094-4C1F-BAB5-A35DDD86FAF3@microsoft.com... >I need to use XP style in my MFC projects. > My projects are not UNICODE. > In VS 2003 i was able to use XP styles. > I have imported the same projects in VS 2005 and I am not...

A strange problem with MFC
Hi, Rencently I met a strange problem. The code like below: CWinThread* pThread = AfxBeginThread(ThreadFunc, (LPVOID)this, THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL, 0, CREATE_SUSPENDED); if(pThread->m_hThread != NULL){ pThread->m_bAutodelete = FALSE; pThread->ResumeThread(); } After the statement "pThread->m_bAutodelete = FALSE" executed, I found the value of pThread->m_hThread is 0. While pThread->m_bAutodelete is still 1! The code section located in a win32 static library, with /Md option.The host application(exe) is a win32 console application, with /Md option. There...

Form Automatically Opening New File
Hi There Is there anyway that it can be set that when a form opens up it will automatically start a new entry and not go through ones that have already been done? Open your form in design mode. In the properties dialog got the data tab set the Data Entry property to True -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault If this post was helpful, please rate it by using the vote buttons. "weircolin@googlemail.com" wrote: > Hi There > > Is there anyway that it can be set that when a form opens up it will > automatically start a new entry and not go through ones that have > al...

which better: Frequency vs Histogram
I read "Explore Histograms" in http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011109481033.aspx and found it educational. However, I can't see a difference in output between using a Histogram and using the Frequency function. Can anybody share the pros and cons of each? I think you have missed the point. The article says that the table produced by the ATP histogram tool is exactly the same as the table (with same bin definitions) produced by the FREQUENCY function. The difference is not in the values calculated, but in the fact that the histogram table is a static t...

CListCtrl update model: invalidate/update vs immediate
Hi, I was wondering, why does this control (or controls in general) update itself immediately instead of in the update/'onpaint' handler? All kinds of 'stupid' setredraw magic appears to be needed sometimes due to this. The update is happening in the WM_PAINT handler. When you add a new item, or change an item in a listctrl it will send a WM_PAINT message to itself. AliR. "Olaf van der Spek" <OlafvdSpek@GMail.Com> wrote in message news:%23rV%23r6xLFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I was wondering, why does this control (or controls in ge...

Form Controls
I have a form that I use as a switchboard to print off forms. How do I select a company name, then after I select the name have it print a report or form? Can't figure out how it all works together. Select Company from a combo box After select, what do you use to get the report to open for that Company? I'm confused. -- Denise B. Here's an example Dim strWhere As String strWhere = "IssueID = " & Me.[NameOfCombo]ID 'Debug.Print strWhere DoCmd.OpenReport "NameOfReport", acPreview, , strWhere Jeanette Cun...

Unicode in MFC
Hi, I am new to MFC programming and I have a problem: when I try to write the caption of a button or something else in my own language(Farsi), in the design mode it shows the correct string but when I compile it it shows a '?' instead of every character. Can anyone please help me with that. > I am new to MFC programming and I have a problem: > when I try to write the caption of a button or something else in my > own language(Farsi), in the design mode it shows the correct string > but when I compile it it shows a '?' instead of every character. Can > anyone ple...

return int value to OS in MFC App
Hi, Everybody. I have to make A MFC app to return int value to Operatiing System.. if i could use WinMain() function, this is not matter. but MFC does not reveal WinMain().... How can i solve this problem? Can Anybody help me with this problem? <flybluewing@bcline.com> wrote in message news:1189386249.923483.59250@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com... > Hi, Everybody. > > I have to make A MFC app to return int value to Operatiing System.. > > if i could use WinMain() function, this is not matter. > but MFC does not reveal WinMain().... > How can i solve this problem?...

Float Menu Excel 2003 vs 2007
Hi All In a [2003] workbook I've got a "help sheet" with various help topics. When activated a float_menu appears from which the user can select a topic from a userform. This works great, however in 2007 the float_menu doesn’t appear. Any suggestions ? As always any help will be much appreciated. This is my code: Regular module: Sub Float_Menu_help() Dim newMenu As CommandBar, newControl, newItem, subMenu Dim c 'remove custom menu if it exists Delete_HelpMenu 'create new menu and display it Set newMenu = CommandBars.Add(Name:="Help_Menu", _ T...

mfc and IE activeX
I'm using VS 2003 and trying to use Internet Explorer in my MFC application but encountering problems If I built a very simple test dialog-application and drop in the IE it works exactly as expected. However, when I create a similar dialog box in my MFC application and call the ...DoModal() nothing appears at all - not even the dialog box itself. It's as if my application does not want to use ActiveX components - I also tried a couple of other Microsoft ActiveX controls and they have the same problem. I must be missing something obvious - any one with any ideas will be much ...

Easy Forms Questions
I have a form that I setfocus to a text box upon opening the form. Is there a way to force the user to update that field before I allow them to navaigate away from it? If the field is empty when opening the form: Yes, OnLostFocus event to go back to that textbox if it is Null or "" (depending on the format). You can also add a message to alert the user that they cannot leave the field until it is updated. If not empty, what are you storing in it?. This will help with further suggestions. "AJ" <AJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A98F9DB-7408-...

Excel2003 vs 2007 ... :(
Excel2003 vs 2007 ... I have many Templates, charts etc created in Excel2003 & many have Recorded Macro's attached to Forms Buttons ... These Temps work perfect in Excel2003 ... I think they may also work in Excel2007??? However .... Issue is ... some folks have Excel2003 (WindowsXP) while others who update these Files have Windows7 (Excel2007) ... We often end up with File corruption or Excel has encountered an error & must close ... etc etc ... when attempting to work these Files between the 2 Office Systems & 2 Excels .... very disenchanting. We have use...

Search string through form
Hi, Is there a way i can search for a string in a field, like a filter? Right now, i am right clicking and using Filter for *<name>* to find records with <name> in the field. Tried to use a parameter query to input the string, but that doesnt work. Ideally i d liek to be prompted for the string and then all the records which contain the string be displayed. Thanks for any inputs. ramesh Ramesh wrote: > Hi, > > Is there a way i can search for a string in a field, like a filter? Right now, > i am right clicking and using Filter for *<name>* to find >...

Need Help with MFC!!
Hi all, need help esp. with Graphic part. When you right click on any drive on your machine and click properties, you get a tabbed dialog. I want to know how can I embed graphic image (pie chart) into my MFC Dialog? I have written code which displays the Disk Usage right now but don't know how to display that info as a PIE CHART!!!!!! besides what type of MFC Dialog application should I look fwd to build? I want exactly as the DRIVE properties. TIA -- ======== Regards Vai ======== Have you looked at the CDC::Pie method? joe On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:07:11 -0400, "Vai2000"...

MSCRM 3
Hi My company is looking at installing MSCRM 3. They want to use SQL Server 2000 as the backend. I think SQL Server 2005 is the way to go, but I need some convincing reasons why. Can some one list me some advantages of going with SQL Server 2005 that related directly to CRM. Much regards Tom Advantages specific to CRM? Hmm, let me see. 1. Improved performance (I haven't experienced it myself yet, but I guess/hope that SQL 2005 has better performance than SQL 2000). Ok, it's not specific to CRM, but it is relevant. 2. Maybe the improved SQL Server Reporting Services 2005. This has ...

Sub Form Record Select
I have a sub form filtered by a couple combo boxes. I want to be able to click on a Record in the sub form and have it display detailed information about that record. 1) What type of event would [clicking on a record] be? If there isn't an event, I could have a button like, "get detailed info" to click after you select the record. 2) how do I pull that record in VB? for example... intValue = Me![subform]![FieldInSubForm]![ValueOfThatFieldBasedOnSelectedRecord] I would REALLY appreciate any help. Thanks~ Assuming your SubForm is a Continuous Form then [clicking on a reco...

Adding a Contact to the invoice form
I'm trying to add a field to the Invoice form that will be used to store a contact-id for the person who placed the order (this is a diffrerent contact than the one inside of the account) I know how to add attributes to the invoice form, but the attributes screen does not allow you to add a contact-id. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks. ...

Quote Form With Options
It seems my original thread of 4/29/10 "Quote Form with Options" has been forgotten. Tom van Stiphout was helping and gave me the instructions for a button to ""Create New Option". It would look at the maximum option used so far (DMax function) and add 1 to it. When the button is clicked, you save the JobNumber information and perhaps some other key information, go to a new record, populate the JobNumber with the saved value, and set the Option field to whatever DMax(...)+1 returns." I have researched and tried several methods of code, but can'...

Sharing vs. Delegate Access
Can anyone tell me the difference between Sharing (email, calendars,folders) vs. Delegate and delegate access? I can't find anything comparing the two!! Help! Sharing is just that - you share your folders with others. Delegates have 'send on behalf of' permission and can accept meetings on your behalf. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: EMO-...

Expand Collapse Forms API or Active X?
Dear All Windows XP Pro Access 2003 Pro SP3 I am looking for an API or active X that can I use in a Form, where I can expand - Collapse, use icons and enter description of each item This URL shows some samples that my client wants in his form http://www.jedikeeper.com/rebelscum0000/windows_screen.htm I did a search at Google and I found several Active X most or them for .NET http://www.windowscontrols.com/treeocx.html http://www.ssware.com/fldrview.htm They are very expensive, my client I am sure he will not paid for these Active X, and I sure I am not going to need for further databas...

MFC to Console.
Hello Group. I need to convert the code of WiniNet Async Demo from microsoft samples from MFC to a console function.. Someone can help me with the changes.. The code is posted here Regards /* Microsoft Corporation Copyright 1999-2002 */ /******************************************************************** ProjectName : AsyncDemo Purpose : This sample demonstrates how to submit two WinInet requests, using InternentOpenUrl, asynchronously. Notes : This sample does not handle any authentication. To properly handle authentication, the functions that handle specific protocols (like Ht...

IE Crashes when trying to change properties on Lead Form
When I try to change the properties on the Lead Form (specifically on Lead Source) IE closes with the dialoge box asking if I want to send information to Microsoft. Is there a setting that I need to change before I am able to customize fields on a form? Thanks, Hi, This seems to be a bit of a wierd problem. What version of IE are you using? Have you tried to do this from a different PC? To me it seems IE is having some troubles. You should be able to modify the forms without any wierd settings. You could also try to lower your security settings (making sure ActiveX and scripting is...

XML and MFC
Hello guys, What source of knowledge would you point me to if you were about to integrate XML with MFC? Of course if there's any Microsoft documentation anywhere, please post me a link to it. Thank you in advance! :-) Yea, I wanna know it too. Who would give a hand? > What source of knowledge would you point me to if you were about to > integrate XML with MFC? Of course if there's any Microsoft documentation > anywhere, please post me a link to it. After digging left and right, I remained with two main options: - MSXML - MS, proprietary, COM, with all the implications:...

Re: how do i create a form in outlook
how do i create a form in outlook expres - waheedrafi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.mcse.m ----------------------------------------------------------------------- View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message424629.htm You can't. This is an Outlook newsgroup. Outlook Express questions should be posted in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Author: Absolute Beginners Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options http://ww...

Sending Window Messages from an MFC app to a Windows Firm tray application
Hello, I have an MFC MDI application and a Windows Forms (2.0) Tray Icon application. I want to run a command on the tray application via my MFC application. There is a "Register" context menu command on the tray icon application. I want to call the Register command from my MFC MDI application. I thought of a windows message. How do I do it? Is there any other better mechanism to do so? Thanks, Janiv Ratson. If you know the class of the window on the tray application you can use FindWindow() to get the window for the class. Then you can use either PostMessage() or SendMessag...