MFC applications and Visual C++'s newer editions

Hello.

When it comes to Win32, Visual Studio .NET 2005 Express Edition Beta 2
only allows the creation of console-based applications. What if one
wanted to create MFC-based applications and, at the same time, be able
to take advantage of the powerful and conforming C++ compiler that comes
with the package? I hope that resorting to Visual C++ 6.0 is not the
only option.

Thank you,

--
Ney Andr� de Mello Zunino
0

"Ney Andr� de Mello Zunino" <zunino@inf.ufsc.br> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> When it comes to Win32, Visual Studio .NET 2005 Express Edition Beta 2
> only allows the creation of console-based applications. What if one wanted
> to create MFC-based applications and, at the same time, be able to take
> advantage of the powerful and conforming C++ compiler that comes with the
> package? I hope that resorting to Visual C++ 6.0 is not the only option.
>
> Thank you,
>
> --
> Ney Andr� de Mello Zunino

As far as I know, you will need the retail version to produce MFC
applications not the Express edition.

--
============
Frank Hickman

Ney Andr� de Mello Zunino wrote:
> Hello.
>
> When it comes to Win32, Visual Studio .NET 2005 Express Edition Beta 2
> only allows the creation of console-based applications. What if one
> wanted to create MFC-based applications and, at the same time, be able
> to take advantage of the powerful and conforming C++ compiler that
> comes with the package? I hope that resorting to Visual C++ 6.0 is
> not the only option.

Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition or above (but NOT express edition)
includes MFC.

-cd

Carl Daniel [VC++ MVP] wrote:

> Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition or above (but NOT express edition)
> includes MFC.

Understood. Considering a system which has both Visual C++ 6.0 and
Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition Beta 2 installed, would it be
feasible (and simple) to arrange things so that MFC applications could
be built from the newer development tool? Are there any gotchas of which
I should be aware?

Thank you for your replies,

--
Ney Andr� de Mello Zunino
0
Ney Andr� de Mello Zunino wrote:
> Carl Daniel [VC++ MVP] wrote:
>
>> Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition or above (but NOT express
>> edition) includes MFC.
>
> Understood. Considering a system which has both Visual C++ 6.0 and
> Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition Beta 2 installed, would it be
> feasible (and simple) to arrange things so that MFC applications could
> be built from the newer development tool? Are there any gotchas of
> which I should be aware?

It would not be simple, if even possible.

-cd

It wouldent.

MFC as of .NET uses a much more detailed self parser, eliminating things
like special comments required in message maps etc. If you need to make MFC,
use 2003 or 2005 normal version (with MFC)

--
- Mark Randall
http://zetech.swehli.com

> Carl Daniel [VC++ MVP] wrote:
>
>> Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition or above (but NOT express edition)
>> includes MFC.
>
> Understood. Considering a system which has both Visual C++ 6.0 and Visual
> Studio 2005 Express Edition Beta 2 installed, would it be feasible (and
> simple) to arrange things so that MFC applications could be built from the
> newer development tool? Are there any gotchas of which I should be aware?
>
> Thank you for your replies,
>
> --
> Ney Andr� de Mello Zunino

0
markyr1 (230)
5/21/2005 10:09:13 PM
Mark Randall wrote:

> MFC as of .NET uses a much more detailed self parser, eliminating things
> like special comments required in message maps etc. If you need to make MFC,
> use 2003 or 2005 normal version (with MFC)

Thank you both for your contribution.

Best regards,

--
Ney Andr� de Mello Zunino
0
> When it comes to Win32, Visual Studio .NET 2005 Express Edition Beta 2
> only allows the creation of console-based applications. What if one
You can still create normal win32 applications by doing #include
<windows.h> and going from there.
Although I dont know if the Express edition actually includes the header
files or if you have to download them seperatly (i.e. Platform SDK)
0
jonwil (9)
5/22/2005 10:08:16 AM
Jonathan Wilson wrote:
>> When it comes to Win32, Visual Studio .NET 2005 Express Edition Beta
>> 2 only allows the creation of console-based applications. What if one
> You can still create normal win32 applications by doing #include
> <windows.h> and going from there.
> Although I dont know if the Express edition actually includes the
> header files or if you have to download them seperatly (i.e. Platform
> SDK)

You have to download and install the PSDK yourself to do native windows
development with VC++ Express 2005.

-cd

ANN: xsdbXML release with C#/.NET port
ANN: xsdbXML release with C#/.NET port Part I: Announcement ==================== There is a new release of xsdbXML which provides bugfixes to the Python implementation and also provides a completely separate implementation in C#/.NET. The xsdb framework provides a flexible and well defined infrastructure to allow tabular data to be published, retrieved, and combined over the Internet. Read more and download at http://xsdb.sourceforge.net Part II: Discussion =================== The C# implementation is primarily a transliteration of the Python implementation. I hope to also do a java tr...

A strange problem with MFC
Hi, Rencently I met a strange problem. The code like below: CWinThread* pThread = AfxBeginThread(ThreadFunc, (LPVOID)this, THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL, 0, CREATE_SUSPENDED); if(pThread->m_hThread != NULL){ pThread->m_bAutodelete = FALSE; pThread->ResumeThread(); } After the statement "pThread->m_bAutodelete = FALSE" executed, I found the value of pThread->m_hThread is 0. While pThread->m_bAutodelete is still 1! The code section located in a win32 static library, with /Md option.The host application(exe) is a win32 console application, with /Md option. There...

Unicode in MFC
Hi, I am new to MFC programming and I have a problem: when I try to write the caption of a button or something else in my own language(Farsi), in the design mode it shows the correct string but when I compile it it shows a '?' instead of every character. Can anyone please help me with that. > I am new to MFC programming and I have a problem: > when I try to write the caption of a button or something else in my > own language(Farsi), in the design mode it shows the correct string > but when I compile it it shows a '?' instead of every character. Can > anyone ple...

return int value to OS in MFC App
Hi, Everybody. I have to make A MFC app to return int value to Operatiing System.. if i could use WinMain() function, this is not matter. but MFC does not reveal WinMain().... How can i solve this problem? Can Anybody help me with this problem? <flybluewing@bcline.com> wrote in message news:1189386249.923483.59250@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com... > Hi, Everybody. > > I have to make A MFC app to return int value to Operatiing System.. > > if i could use WinMain() function, this is not matter. > but MFC does not reveal WinMain().... > How can i solve this problem?...

how to make a stealth application
I would like to create an application that does not appear in the Windows Task manager and system Try or any other means that might detect its existance <mohsen_nouh@yahoo.com> wrote in message I would like to create an application that does not appear in the Windows Task manager --> this article may help you out http://www.codeproject.com/system/preventclose.asp and system Try -->Usually no app show there existence in System Tray ,you have to write code for making App ICON Visible in System Tray. or if you are talking about Window Taskbar :- Create Window with WS_EX_TOOLW...

mfc and IE activeX
I'm using VS 2003 and trying to use Internet Explorer in my MFC application but encountering problems If I built a very simple test dialog-application and drop in the IE it works exactly as expected. However, when I create a similar dialog box in my MFC application and call the ...DoModal() nothing appears at all - not even the dialog box itself. It's as if my application does not want to use ActiveX components - I also tried a couple of other Microsoft ActiveX controls and they have the same problem. I must be missing something obvious - any one with any ideas will be much ...

Event ID 7002 Warning in Application Log
All: I turned on maximum SMTP logging on the SMTP connector (we only have one) to solve a perplexing problem. Using Exchange on SBS 2003, I have a user that sent a message out to over 600 users. Not surprisingly, there were a few bad email addresses in it. A couple of messages were going to domains that have no MX record. Instead of a hard bounce, however, they linger in a queue. When I clean the queue out, they show up hours later. One address, going to a domain that does have an MX record, generates the following error in the App Log. Again, when I clean that queue out, it rea...

Hey Friends I have installed The Platform SDK now what changes are required in order to port the application created now #2
> Hey Friends I have installed The Platform SDK.I want to mknow that what > changes are required in order to port the application created now. > > is any change is required even if i use MFC as Statically Linked library. > > Are the changes OS Specific ? > > Is there any Setup Builder which encorporates the latest changes > > Pl Help me. > > > What do you mean by porting? If your application was compiling correctly before, you dont need platform SDK. PlatformSDK essentially enhances win32 SDK by providing APIs not found in Win32SDK. If you dont intend...

Editing Lookup Formula Error
I've adapted the following formula from "How to lookup a value..." from Office Online: =IF(ISERROR(INDEX($A$2:$F$1007,SMALL(IF($B$2:$F$1007=G$1,ROW($A$2:$A$1007)),ROW(1:1)),1)),"",INDEX($A$2:$F$1007,SMALL(IF($B$2:$F$1007=G$1,ROW($A$2:$A$1007)),ROW(1:1)),1)) date no1 no2 no3 no4 no5 1 6/7/2008 2 4 11 15 28 6/24/08 6/10/2008 8 13 14 23 30 6/28/08 6/14/2008 5 13 24 35 45 6/17/2008 10 12 18 30 36 6/21/2008 1 2 5 23 45 6/24/2008 1 4 37 45 46 However, the date that is returned is from the row BELOW the I would like. In ...

Need Help with MFC!!
Hi all, need help esp. with Graphic part. When you right click on any drive on your machine and click properties, you get a tabbed dialog. I want to know how can I embed graphic image (pie chart) into my MFC Dialog? I have written code which displays the Disk Usage right now but don't know how to display that info as a PIE CHART!!!!!! besides what type of MFC Dialog application should I look fwd to build? I want exactly as the DRIVE properties. TIA -- ======== Regards Vai ======== Have you looked at the CDC::Pie method? joe On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:07:11 -0400, "Vai2000"...

Dialog Application Error, Pocket PC
I'm getting an error when my Pocket PC application tries to step over the SHInitDialog function below. The error message is "First-chance exception in Dialog.exe: 0xC0000005: Access Violation." When I click OK, it takes me to the disassembly listed below the basic code: BOOL CDiaglog::OnInitDialog() { CDialog::OnInitDialog(); /* OnInitDialog above calls "dlgcore.cpp" below */ ... } C:\...\Mfc\Src\dlgcore.cpp Ln 761-769 (i.e. "not my code"): ::SetForegroundWindow(m_hWnd); if (!SHInitDialog(&shidi)) /* This is where I get the access violatio...

MFC to Console.
Hello Group. I need to convert the code of WiniNet Async Demo from microsoft samples from MFC to a console function.. Someone can help me with the changes.. The code is posted here Regards /* Microsoft Corporation Copyright 1999-2002 */ /******************************************************************** ProjectName : AsyncDemo Purpose : This sample demonstrates how to submit two WinInet requests, using InternentOpenUrl, asynchronously. Notes : This sample does not handle any authentication. To properly handle authentication, the functions that handle specific protocols (like Ht...

how to make Excel application GUI look better?
Hi all, I am not a professional software developer, nor a GUI designer. I need help in improving the GUI of my Excel spreadsheet application. I currently have a few cells that user put their inputs, and then 4 buttons in an array that they can choose to click and execute. That's it. I feel the spreadsheet environment makes it look very dull. Do you guys also feel that with a few cells and a few bare buttons in Excel, the GUI is very dull? How to make it look better? Any sample GUIs, and good websites that I can learn from? Thanks a lot! cfman, At the very least, you can use ...

XML and MFC
Hello guys, What source of knowledge would you point me to if you were about to integrate XML with MFC? Of course if there's any Microsoft documentation anywhere, please post me a link to it. Thank you in advance! :-) Yea, I wanna know it too. Who would give a hand? > What source of knowledge would you point me to if you were about to > integrate XML with MFC? Of course if there's any Microsoft documentation > anywhere, please post me a link to it. After digging left and right, I remained with two main options: - MSXML - MS, proprietary, COM, with all the implications:...

Application.Quit issue in Excel 2003
(On WinXP Pro SP2 / Access 2003 / Excel 2003) The following code, when run from Access, leaves a copy of Excel.exe hanging around in memory. '*********************************************** Sub testXL() Dim objXL As Object Dim wkbXL As Object Dim strFileName As String On Error GoTo errHandler strFileName = "C:\Test.xls" Set objXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application") Set wkbXL = objXL.Workbooks.Open(strFileName) exitHere: On Error Resume Next wkbXL.saved = True wkbXL.Close ' also tried this ' wkbXL.Close savechan...

Sending Window Messages from an MFC app to a Windows Firm tray application
Hello, I have an MFC MDI application and a Windows Forms (2.0) Tray Icon application. I want to run a command on the tray application via my MFC application. There is a "Register" context menu command on the tray icon application. I want to call the Register command from my MFC MDI application. I thought of a windows message. How do I do it? Is there any other better mechanism to do so? Thanks, Janiv Ratson. If you know the class of the window on the tray application you can use FindWindow() to get the window for the class. Then you can use either PostMessage() or SendMessag...

dynamically managing of layout in MFC + GridBagLayout in MFC or C++
Hi, can anybody tell me how can I make or find a function in MFC to manage layout of a dialog that dynamically has been create and also the controls in the dialog? I am new in MFC, what I am lokking for is something like GridBagLayout in java? is there something like this in C++ MFC ? any idea plz? Thank u There is nothing like GridBagLayout in MFC. However, you can achieve the same functionality thru various means. You have to move the controls manually on resize of the dialog or window. Please see the following examples: http://www.codeproject.com/dialog/easysize.asp http://www.codepr...

Data Migration Wizard for Microsoft Office Outlook with Business C
Is there anyone, who have experience, in using the "Data Migration Wizard for Microsoft Office Outlook with Business Contact Manager" to import data to Microsoft CRM? My question is primary, if it is simple to use the tool and if all information can be imported? Best Regard CD You use the Data Migration Wizard to picks up csv files, generate the data maps from the csv sample files and import/export data & data maps. you can use the tool from within outlook 2007 which is the one you have i assume. Yet, if you want to synchronise your contact list with CRM then you ...

Console output from MFC dialog based app
Dear All, I have developed a MFC dialog based application. Now when I execute this app from command prompt, I need to write some text back to console. In console application we achieve this using functions like printf(), puts(), etc. Please let me know how do I achieve same in dialog based application since printf() and other functions are not working here. Thanks, Ajay You can't write to the same console window that you were ran from, but you can create a console window and write to that. Take a look at AllocConsole, ReadConsole, and WriteConsole. Here is an example: http://www....

Reporting back crashes in MFC-based products
Hello, We have a product written in MFC using Visual Studio 7.1. We are now planning to implement a feature that will detect a crash and report to us the cause of the crash and other meaningful information. The plan is to provide something similar to Window's error reporting tool. I found a 3rd party tool for Delphi that instruments the source code. When the program crashes, it provides information like the name of the function, module etc.. Is there something similar that I can use with MFC? The other option is to use MFC's Structured Exception Handling and try to get a memory dump...

Access and MFC
I would like to use some MFC capabilities from within Access. In PDC05/PRS313, Nick Kramer gave examples of using HWND's to create mixed Win32/Windows Presentation Foundation applications. I remember reading recently somewhere that Microsoft has released the MFC for general use. Can anyone provide information about (or even verify) the MFC release? Thanks, James A. Fortune CDMAPoster@FortuneJames.com MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com Microsoft Cabinet SDK: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms974336.aspx ...

bug of MFC ActiveX Control?
i create a default MFC activex control by wizard, i just check the windowlessActivate option, because i want to create a transparent control. but when i use the control in vb, the form_keydown event will be triger twice. i recompile the control after comment the follow line: dwFlags |= windowlessActivate; all things is ok. can someone confirm this "bug"? -- ף���ˣ� Maybe my english is so poor? Or something else? "sPhinX" <s5689412@163.com> д���ʼ� news:eQ$NrxkcFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > i create a default MFC activex control by wizard, > i just ch...

open new sheet in to a new excel application
I used to be able to open a new excel document from the file open menu and this would open up a new excel app with the new sheet in. I am not sure what has changed but now when opening a new sheet it opens within the same workbook. I have noticed that new word documents are opening in the way described above. How can i get Excel to do the same please, Regards, Osman Ismail Tools->Options->View and check "Windows in Taskbar" "Oz" wrote: > I used to be able to open a new excel document from the file open menu and > this would open up a new excel app with ...

MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. HELP
This is driving me nuts. Whenever I run my program in release configuraiton it always crashes with the above error message offering me an option to send a message to Microsoft. I have discovered it is an access violation (code 5). Whenever I run the program in debug configuration it runs OK. I have two main questions: 1 How can the program behave so differently in the two configurations? I can find no explanation of this in the help files. 2 How can I get useful information about the access violation? I cannot save the crash dump produced which the exception handler offers to send to ...

Is it true that Exchange Standard and Enterprise editions can see only 4GB of memory?
Is it true that Exchange Standard and Enterprise editions can see only 4GB of memory? -- Spin http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827281/en-us "Spin" <Spin@spin.com> wrote in message news:43tcb2F1pg0vuU1@individual.net... > Is it true that Exchange Standard and Enterprise editions can see only 4GB > of memory? > > -- > Spin > > Kinda true. It does not support PAE, and cannot "efficiently use" more than 4 Gigs. Not sure how 32-bit Windows OSes can recognize more than 4 Gigs w/o PAE. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-u...