MFC and .NET

We have a MFC application we are moving to VC 7.0 because we want to
use the latest C++ compiler that comes with it. For moving to VC 7.0
we need to install the .NET framework though. My questions are,

1. Has anybody moved thier MFC application to .NET framework? Did you
run into any issues?

2. What is the plan for MFC? Is there any end of life for this from
Microsoft?

Thanks,
David
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I use all of my VC6 MFC apps and DLLs just fine with XP and VS.Net 2003.  No
need to port your code to .Net at all.

    WTH

"David Mohandas" <david_mohandas@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> We have a MFC application we are moving to VC 7.0 because we want to
> use the latest C++ compiler that comes with it. For moving to VC 7.0
> we need to install the .NET framework though. My questions are,
>
> 1. Has anybody moved thier MFC application to .NET framework? Did you
> run into any issues?
>
> 2. What is the plan for MFC? Is there any end of life for this from
> Microsoft?
>
> Thanks,
> David

0
ih8spam (77)

A strange problem with MFC
Hi, Rencently I met a strange problem. The code like below: CWinThread* pThread = AfxBeginThread(ThreadFunc, (LPVOID)this, THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL, 0, CREATE_SUSPENDED); if(pThread->m_hThread != NULL){ pThread->m_bAutodelete = FALSE; pThread->ResumeThread(); } After the statement "pThread->m_bAutodelete = FALSE" executed, I found the value of pThread->m_hThread is 0. While pThread->m_bAutodelete is still 1! The code section located in a win32 static library, with /Md option.The host application(exe) is a win32 console application, with /Md option. There...

ANN: xsdbXML release with C#/.NET port
ANN: xsdbXML release with C#/.NET port Part I: Announcement ==================== There is a new release of xsdbXML which provides bugfixes to the Python implementation and also provides a completely separate implementation in C#/.NET. The xsdb framework provides a flexible and well defined infrastructure to allow tabular data to be published, retrieved, and combined over the Internet. Read more and download at http://xsdb.sourceforge.net Part II: Discussion =================== The C# implementation is primarily a transliteration of the Python implementation. I hope to also do a java tr...

Unicode in MFC
Hi, I am new to MFC programming and I have a problem: when I try to write the caption of a button or something else in my own language(Farsi), in the design mode it shows the correct string but when I compile it it shows a '?' instead of every character. Can anyone please help me with that. > I am new to MFC programming and I have a problem: > when I try to write the caption of a button or something else in my > own language(Farsi), in the design mode it shows the correct string > but when I compile it it shows a '?' instead of every character. Can > anyone ple...

return int value to OS in MFC App
Hi, Everybody. I have to make A MFC app to return int value to Operatiing System.. if i could use WinMain() function, this is not matter. but MFC does not reveal WinMain().... How can i solve this problem? Can Anybody help me with this problem? <flybluewing@bcline.com> wrote in message news:1189386249.923483.59250@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com... > Hi, Everybody. > > I have to make A MFC app to return int value to Operatiing System.. > > if i could use WinMain() function, this is not matter. > but MFC does not reveal WinMain().... > How can i solve this problem?...

mfc and IE activeX
I'm using VS 2003 and trying to use Internet Explorer in my MFC application but encountering problems If I built a very simple test dialog-application and drop in the IE it works exactly as expected. However, when I create a similar dialog box in my MFC application and call the ...DoModal() nothing appears at all - not even the dialog box itself. It's as if my application does not want to use ActiveX components - I also tried a couple of other Microsoft ActiveX controls and they have the same problem. I must be missing something obvious - any one with any ideas will be much ...

Convert xmlDoc to xmlDatadoc in VB.NET
I have a XMLDocument object (returned from a class) that I want to load into an XMLDataDocument. I would have thought this would be simple but can't find a solution anywhere. Presumably it needs to go via a stream. I don't want to use a Text or File reader/writer (no point putting it out to file, just to pull it back in). xmldatadoc.load(CObj(xmldoc)) makes sense to me, but not to .NET! Do I use the memorystream to do this? kinda like: xmldoc -> memStream -> xmldatadoc Despite trawling through the help text and newsgroups for the past couple of hours I can't figure th...

Need Help with MFC!!
Hi all, need help esp. with Graphic part. When you right click on any drive on your machine and click properties, you get a tabbed dialog. I want to know how can I embed graphic image (pie chart) into my MFC Dialog? I have written code which displays the Disk Usage right now but don't know how to display that info as a PIE CHART!!!!!! besides what type of MFC Dialog application should I look fwd to build? I want exactly as the DRIVE properties. TIA -- ======== Regards Vai ======== Have you looked at the CDC::Pie method? joe On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:07:11 -0400, "Vai2000"...

MFC to Console.
Hello Group. I need to convert the code of WiniNet Async Demo from microsoft samples from MFC to a console function.. Someone can help me with the changes.. The code is posted here Regards /* Microsoft Corporation Copyright 1999-2002 */ /******************************************************************** ProjectName : AsyncDemo Purpose : This sample demonstrates how to submit two WinInet requests, using InternentOpenUrl, asynchronously. Notes : This sample does not handle any authentication. To properly handle authentication, the functions that handle specific protocols (like Ht...

XML and MFC
Hello guys, What source of knowledge would you point me to if you were about to integrate XML with MFC? Of course if there's any Microsoft documentation anywhere, please post me a link to it. Thank you in advance! :-) Yea, I wanna know it too. Who would give a hand? > What source of knowledge would you point me to if you were about to > integrate XML with MFC? Of course if there's any Microsoft documentation > anywhere, please post me a link to it. After digging left and right, I remained with two main options: - MSXML - MS, proprietary, COM, with all the implications:...

dynamically managing of layout in MFC + GridBagLayout in MFC or C++
Hi, can anybody tell me how can I make or find a function in MFC to manage layout of a dialog that dynamically has been create and also the controls in the dialog? I am new in MFC, what I am lokking for is something like GridBagLayout in java? is there something like this in C++ MFC ? any idea plz? Thank u There is nothing like GridBagLayout in MFC. However, you can achieve the same functionality thru various means. You have to move the controls manually on resize of the dialog or window. Please see the following examples: http://www.codeproject.com/dialog/easysize.asp http://www.codepr...

Sending Window Messages from an MFC app to a Windows Firm tray application
Hello, I have an MFC MDI application and a Windows Forms (2.0) Tray Icon application. I want to run a command on the tray application via my MFC application. There is a "Register" context menu command on the tray icon application. I want to call the Register command from my MFC MDI application. I thought of a windows message. How do I do it? Is there any other better mechanism to do so? Thanks, Janiv Ratson. If you know the class of the window on the tray application you can use FindWindow() to get the window for the class. Then you can use either PostMessage() or SendMessag...

Console output from MFC dialog based app
Dear All, I have developed a MFC dialog based application. Now when I execute this app from command prompt, I need to write some text back to console. In console application we achieve this using functions like printf(), puts(), etc. Please let me know how do I achieve same in dialog based application since printf() and other functions are not working here. Thanks, Ajay You can't write to the same console window that you were ran from, but you can create a console window and write to that. Take a look at AllocConsole, ReadConsole, and WriteConsole. Here is an example: http://www....

VC++ .NET 2003: XmlTextReader Errors C2144 & C1004
Hi all, I read the Microsoft KB Q815658 "How to read the XML data from a file using Visual C++ .NET" and tried to follow the steps of executing its source code in my VC++ .NET 2003 under Console Application (.NET). I lauched a project 'Q815658XMLRead' (see the attached .cpp file below) and did the "Build" and I got the following 2 errors: c:\Documents and Settings\Scott H. Chang\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Q815658XMLRead\Q815658XMLRead.cpp(13): error C2144: syntax error : 'int' should be preceded by ';' c:\Documents and Settings\Scott...

Reporting back crashes in MFC-based products
Hello, We have a product written in MFC using Visual Studio 7.1. We are now planning to implement a feature that will detect a crash and report to us the cause of the crash and other meaningful information. The plan is to provide something similar to Window's error reporting tool. I found a 3rd party tool for Delphi that instruments the source code. When the program crashes, it provides information like the name of the function, module etc.. Is there something similar that I can use with MFC? The other option is to use MFC's Structured Exception Handling and try to get a memory dump...

I cant configure my email account (sbcglobal.net) Help!
I can't configure my sbcglobal.net email account on Outlook. Does anyone have any words of wisdom? http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/sbc/mail/pop/pop-11.html If running Outlook 2003, then follow the steps for Outlook 2002 (XP) "hollyg" <hollyg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1556C49-735B-4798-80DE-3CE71792DA7C@microsoft.com... >I can't configure my sbcglobal.net email account on Outlook. Does anyone > have any words of wisdom? ...

Access and MFC
I would like to use some MFC capabilities from within Access. In PDC05/PRS313, Nick Kramer gave examples of using HWND's to create mixed Win32/Windows Presentation Foundation applications. I remember reading recently somewhere that Microsoft has released the MFC for general use. Can anyone provide information about (or even verify) the MFC release? Thanks, James A. Fortune CDMAPoster@FortuneJames.com MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com Microsoft Cabinet SDK: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms974336.aspx ...

bug of MFC ActiveX Control?
i create a default MFC activex control by wizard, i just check the windowlessActivate option, because i want to create a transparent control. but when i use the control in vb, the form_keydown event will be triger twice. i recompile the control after comment the follow line: dwFlags |= windowlessActivate; all things is ok. can someone confirm this "bug"? -- ף���ˣ� Maybe my english is so poor? Or something else? "sPhinX" <s5689412@163.com> д���ʼ� news:eQ$NrxkcFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > i create a default MFC activex control by wizard, > i just ch...

Microsoft .Net Framework on a file server
Is Microsoft .Net Framework needed on a file server that uses Veritas Backup Exec? I have a server that is running out of space on the system partition and am wondering if I need Microsoft .Net Framework or if I can just uninstall it. I will be moving to a different file server in the next few months. If you have Net Framework installed is because something was or is calling on it. BTW. Which version of Net Framework are you talking about -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. ...

MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. HELP
This is driving me nuts. Whenever I run my program in release configuraiton it always crashes with the above error message offering me an option to send a message to Microsoft. I have discovered it is an access violation (code 5). Whenever I run the program in debug configuration it runs OK. I have two main questions: 1 How can the program behave so differently in the two configurations? I can find no explanation of this in the help files. 2 How can I get useful information about the access violation? I cannot save the crash dump produced which the exception handler offers to send to ...

Formatting Excell doc from within MFC app
Hello. I'm developing an application using MFC - VC++ 6.0 I'm wondering if there is an ActiveX control or other component that would make possible to make simple editing and formatting MS EXCELL doc from rithin application. The operations i would like to perform: - opening .xls file - inserting values into cells and simple formatting the cells (alliginig,, etc) - save the file - printing and displaying (not necessary) Thank You all for any help Sincerelly, magic ...

Static variables initialization problem with MFC DLL
Hi, I have the following code, working well in my MFC app, where a static member variable is initialized with the result of a static method, as this : int MyClass::anInt = MyClass::InitTheInt(); The problem is when this code is used in a DLL -using MFC in a shared DLL-, the initialization is simply ignored !!!! What's going on? Thx. Herbert wrote: >Hi, > >I have the following code, working well in my MFC app, where a >static member variable is initialized with the result of a static >method, as this : > > int MyClass::anInt = MyClass::InitTheInt(); &g...

Is GDI+ Integrate with MFC?
Apparently, GDI+ is not intended to be used with MFC as GDI is. Is GDI+ a more stand-alone technology? Granted it can be used in MFC apps but the MFC classes do not seem to wrap GDI+. Is it resonable to use GDI+ without MFC at all? Thank You It's just another API. Why wouldn't it be reasonable to use without MFC? joe On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:54:49 -0800, Coder <Coder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Apparently, GDI+ is not intended to be used with MFC as GDI is. Is GDI+ a >more stand-alone technology? Granted it can be used in MFC apps but the MFC >classes...

Regular MFC dll
I created an MFC regular dll with MFC statically linked using MFC Appwizard(dll) and then I compiled the code generated by the AppWizard without adding any code. I got the these compile errors Compiling resources... Compiling... StdAfx.cpp c:\program files\microsoft sdk\include\shobjidl.h(9419) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'IXMLDOMDocument' c:\program files\microsoft sdk\include\shobjidl.h(9528) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'IXMLDOMDocument' Error executing cl.exe. How can I reomve these error. Thanks ...

Well not exactly MFC....though I am using it in MFC :)
Okay actually I am trying to write a DLL which my MFC dialog imports, but for some reason I cannot get something really simple done. Basically all I want to be able to do is copy a string that is given to a function, and then return it to the user unchanged (as within my program I modified the two strings which are given as parameters). What is weird is simply that I CANNOT delete a char * which I created using NEW??? Here is what I am trying to do.... I have char * tempString; //define in my .h file for the DLL. in the method void ChangeString(char * a, char * b) { tempString = ne...

How to insert a MFC Dialog in a DLL ?
I want to cerate a static DLL. In this DLL I want insert a MFC Dialog. I have made with the MSVisual C++ MFC AppWizard(dll) a DLL . I insert a test function in the DLL. With an other Progarmm I testet the test function the DLL . It works. Now I try insert a MCF- Dialog in the DLL but without success. Two days I was trying but no change. Knows everyone a sample or a link in the web. Thanks A beginner Daniel Daniel, If it is indeed the case that you have successfully created and called a DLL, you are close to your target. You want to check AFX_MANAGE_STATE. If you look t...