Memory limits to MS VC++ 6.0

Is there any limit (besides the 4GB limit) to the amount of memory that can be
stored in a std::vector under MS Windows XP Pro, and MS VC++ 6.0 ???

0
NoSpam8358 (375)
2/8/2007 5:24:48 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Peter Olcott wrote:
> Is there any limit (besides the 4GB limit) to the amount of memory that can be
> stored in a std::vector under MS Windows XP Pro, and MS VC++ 6.0 ???

The total memory available to any one program is limited to 2 GB.  This
is a Windows limit - the compiler is irrelevant.  Of course, you can't
get all 2 GB in a std::vector because you need space for code, stack,
other variables, and some loss due to memory address space
fragmentation, all within the same 2 GB.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

0
Scott
2/8/2007 6:23:29 AM
"Scott McPhillips [MVP]" <org-dot-mvps-at-scottmcp> wrote in message
> Peter Olcott wrote:
>> Is there any limit (besides the 4GB limit) to the amount of memory that can
>> be stored in a std::vector under MS Windows XP Pro, and MS VC++ 6.0 ???
>
> The total memory available to any one program is limited to 2 GB.  This is a
> Windows limit - the compiler is irrelevant.  Of course, you can't get all 2 GB
> in a std::vector because you need space for code, stack, other variables, and
> some loss due to memory address space fragmentation, all within the same 2 GB.
>
> --
> Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Thanks for your help, I had to eliminate one possible source of a bug.
Are these limits soon to go away with the new 64-bit memory architecture?

0
NoSpam8358 (375)
2/8/2007 6:37:52 AM
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 01:23:29 -0500, "Scott McPhillips [MVP]"
<org-dot-mvps-at-scottmcp> wrote:

>Peter Olcott wrote:
>> Is there any limit (besides the 4GB limit) to the amount of memory that can be
>> stored in a std::vector under MS Windows XP Pro, and MS VC++ 6.0 ???
>
>The total memory available to any one program is limited to 2 GB.
> This is a Windows limit - the compiler is irrelevant.

This is not always true...

It seems that you can access more than 2 GB using AWE (Adress
Windowing Extensions) APIs:

AWE is a set of application programming interfaces (APIs) to the
memory manager functions that enables programs to address more memory
than the 4 GB that is available through standard 32-bit addressing.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283037

MrAsm
0
mrasm (715)
2/8/2007 8:55:00 AM
On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 00:37:52 -0600, "Peter Olcott"
<NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote:

>Thanks for your help, I had to eliminate one possible source of a bug.

It seems that it is possible to use more than 2 GB of memory per
process using AWE (see my other post).

>Are these limits soon to go away with the new 64-bit memory architecture?

I believe that yes, with 64-bit memory architecture these limits will
go away. But I think that if you want to develop for 64 bits, you must
upgrade your compiler: I think that VC6 does not support 64 bits (but
I'm not sure about this).

I read a post here by Joe Newcomer who wrote that he uses VS2005 for
64 bit development.

MrAsm
0
mrasm (715)
2/8/2007 8:59:31 AM
Well, the real limit is either 2GB or 3GB of address space, not 4GB.  But to allocate a
large array, you need to have *contiguous* address space, and that is less likely to
exist.  Generally, allocating any *one* thing of more than a couple hundred megabytes is
problematic because you will not see enough contiguous memory to make it possible.
Allocating more than one such thing becomes progressively less likely.

Since the implementation is essentially identical, std::vector I believe allows 2**32
elements, not bytes, in all implementations (on 32-bit machines).  The OS is irrelevant;
the limitations of address space and address space fragmentation have applied to every OS
since Windows NT 3.1 and continue through Vista.

A 32-bit app running under Win64 has a 4GB address space available, and a 64-bit app
running under Win64 has an 8TB address space.

For a 32-bit app to use > 2GB of address space it must be marked /LARGEADDRESSAWARE when
it is linked or use one of the assorted utility programs to set this flag in the exe
header.
						joe
On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 23:24:48 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote:

>Is there any limit (besides the 4GB limit) to the amount of memory that can be
>stored in a std::vector under MS Windows XP Pro, and MS VC++ 6.0 ???

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
> Well, the real limit is either 2GB or 3GB of address space, not 4GB.  But to
> allocate a
> large array, you need to have *contiguous* address space, and that is less
> likely to
> exist.  Generally, allocating any *one* thing of more than a couple hundred
> megabytes is

int MAX_SPACE = 100000000;  // 400 MB of UINT
std::vector<UINT> Test;
Test.reserve(MAX_SPACE);
for (int N = 0; N < MAX_SPACE; N++)
  Test.push_back(N);
AfxMessageBox("MAX_SPACE std::vector Has Been Filled!");

I used this code to verify that I had at least 400 MB of contiguous space, and
it seemed to work correctly on my 512 MB machine even though Windows was loaded.
Would the success of this test indicate that I had 400 MB of contiguous space
available?

> problematic because you will not see enough contiguous memory to make it
> possible.
> Allocating more than one such thing becomes progressively less likely.
>
> Since the implementation is essentially identical, std::vector I believe
> allows 2**32
> elements, not bytes, in all implementations (on 32-bit machines).  The OS is
> irrelevant;
> the limitations of address space and address space fragmentation have applied
> to every OS
> since Windows NT 3.1 and continue through Vista.
>
> A 32-bit app running under Win64 has a 4GB address space available, and a
> 64-bit app
> running under Win64 has an 8TB address space.
>
> For a 32-bit app to use > 2GB of address space it must be marked
> /LARGEADDRESSAWARE when
> it is linked or use one of the assorted utility programs to set this flag in
> the exe
> header.
> joe
> On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 23:24:48 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Is there any limit (besides the 4GB limit) to the amount of memory that can be
>>stored in a std::vector under MS Windows XP Pro, and MS VC++ 6.0 ???
>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

NoSpam8358 (375)
2/8/2007 5:17:58 PM
On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:17:58 -0600, "Peter Olcott"
<NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote:

>> Well, the real limit is either 2GB or 3GB of address space, not 4GB.  But to
>> allocate a
>> large array, you need to have *contiguous* address space, and that is less
>> likely to
>> exist.  Generally, allocating any *one* thing of more than a couple hundred
>> megabytes is
>
>int MAX_SPACE = 100000000;  // 400 MB of UINT
>std::vector<UINT> Test;
>Test.reserve(MAX_SPACE);
>for (int N = 0; N < MAX_SPACE; N++)
>  Test.push_back(N);
>AfxMessageBox("MAX_SPACE std::vector Has Been Filled!");
>
>I used this code to verify that I had at least 400 MB of contiguous space, and
>it seemed to work correctly on my 512 MB machine even though Windows was loaded.
>Would the success of this test indicate that I had 400 MB of contiguous space
>available?

I believe the answer is: no.

I think that the Windows Memory Manager offers you the "appearance"
that you have an array made up by contiguous space, but I think that
the Memory Manager will do page swaps from physical memory in RAM and
maybe hard-disk space.

MrAsm
0
mrasm (715)
2/8/2007 5:28:20 PM
First, it rarely if ever matters how much physical memory you have installed.  All that
will happen is that you will end up paging a lot more on a small machine than a large
machine.  In fact, you could run a huge number of programs that did this allocation and
they would all run on the same 512MB machine. But very slowly.

All this indicates that at the particular instant of time at which you did this
allocation, you had 400MB of contiguous address space available in the virtual memory of
your process.  Physical memory has nothing to do with this.

If you run the program for a while, load some DLLs, allocate and free lots of stuff, there
is a chance that the next time you try this allocation it will fail.  It works only at a
particular instant in time, when the reserve() is called, and if there is space, you will
be successful; if there is not space, you will fail.

I note that you do not actually check to see if reserve() succeeded; this is a bad
strategy.  It appears to be unspecified as to what happens if the reserve() fails, but I
would expect (since it is a void method) that it would thrown an exception.

Note also that if you want to be correct on 64 bit machines, you can't use types like
'int' for indexes into arrays, because that limits you to 4.2G elements.
				joe

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:17:58 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote:

>> Well, the real limit is either 2GB or 3GB of address space, not 4GB.  But to
>> allocate a
>> large array, you need to have *contiguous* address space, and that is less
>> likely to
>> exist.  Generally, allocating any *one* thing of more than a couple hundred
>> megabytes is
>
>int MAX_SPACE = 100000000;  // 400 MB of UINT
>std::vector<UINT> Test;
>Test.reserve(MAX_SPACE);
>for (int N = 0; N < MAX_SPACE; N++)
>  Test.push_back(N);
>AfxMessageBox("MAX_SPACE std::vector Has Been Filled!");
>
>I used this code to verify that I had at least 400 MB of contiguous space, and
>it seemed to work correctly on my 512 MB machine even though Windows was loaded.
>Would the success of this test indicate that I had 400 MB of contiguous space
>available?
>
>> problematic because you will not see enough contiguous memory to make it
>> possible.
>> Allocating more than one such thing becomes progressively less likely.
>>
>> Since the implementation is essentially identical, std::vector I believe
>> allows 2**32
>> elements, not bytes, in all implementations (on 32-bit machines).  The OS is
>> irrelevant;
>> the limitations of address space and address space fragmentation have applied
>> to every OS
>> since Windows NT 3.1 and continue through Vista.
>>
>> A 32-bit app running under Win64 has a 4GB address space available, and a
>> 64-bit app
>> running under Win64 has an 8TB address space.
>>
>> For a 32-bit app to use > 2GB of address space it must be marked
>> /LARGEADDRESSAWARE when
>> it is linked or use one of the assorted utility programs to set this flag in
>> the exe
>> header.
>> joe
>> On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 23:24:48 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Is there any limit (besides the 4GB limit) to the amount of memory that can be
>>>stored in a std::vector under MS Windows XP Pro, and MS VC++ 6.0 ???
>>>
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
2/8/2007 8:43:44 PM
The requirement is contiguous virtual address space.  It is fundamental to the operating
system that this space is discontiguous in physical memory, and may not even BE in
physical memory.  That's why it's called *virtual* memory.
				joe

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 17:28:20 GMT, MrAsm <mrasm@usa.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:17:58 -0600, "Peter Olcott"
><NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote:
>

>>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>>> Well, the real limit is either 2GB or 3GB of address space, not 4GB.  But to
>>> allocate a
>>> large array, you need to have *contiguous* address space, and that is less
>>> likely to
>>> exist.  Generally, allocating any *one* thing of more than a couple hundred
>>> megabytes is
>>
>>int MAX_SPACE = 100000000;  // 400 MB of UINT
>>std::vector<UINT> Test;
>>Test.reserve(MAX_SPACE);
>>for (int N = 0; N < MAX_SPACE; N++)
>>  Test.push_back(N);
>>AfxMessageBox("MAX_SPACE std::vector Has Been Filled!");
>>
>>I used this code to verify that I had at least 400 MB of contiguous space, and
>>it seemed to work correctly on my 512 MB machine even though Windows was loaded.
>>Would the success of this test indicate that I had 400 MB of contiguous space
>>available?
>
>I believe the answer is: no.
>
>I think that the Windows Memory Manager offers you the "appearance"
>that you have an array made up by contiguous space, but I think that
>the Memory Manager will do page swaps from physical memory in RAM and
>maybe hard-disk space.
>
>MrAsm
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
2/8/2007 8:45:14 PM
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:43:44 -0500, Joseph M. Newcomer
<newcomer@flounder.com> wrote:

>I note that you do not actually check to see if reserve() succeeded; this is a bad
>strategy.  It appears to be unspecified as to what happens if the reserve() fails, but I
>would expect (since it is a void method) that it would thrown an exception.

This is an important and interesting point for me.

When you use STL classes (e.g. std::vector, std::map, ...), do you put
try-catch blocks to guard every portion of code that uses STL classes
methods? (even a vector.at() may throw an exception...).

Thanks in advance
MrAsm
0
mrasm (715)
2/8/2007 11:55:51 PM
Yep.  It is one of the downsides of using exceptions.  I once worked in a OS that threw an
exception whenever an API failed.  It seemed like the bulk of our code was try/catch
blocks

Usually you don't do it at the fine grain of every operation, but often you will do it for
a basic block (a sequence of code with no transfers in or out of it) and deal with
"something went bad inside here" as the paradigm.

Exceptions actually let you write exceeding robust code, but at a fairly high cost of
doing the recovery.
			joe
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 23:55:51 GMT, MrAsm <mrasm@usa.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:43:44 -0500, Joseph M. Newcomer
><newcomer@flounder.com> wrote:
>
>>I note that you do not actually check to see if reserve() succeeded; this is a bad
>>strategy.  It appears to be unspecified as to what happens if the reserve() fails, but I
>>would expect (since it is a void method) that it would thrown an exception.
>
>This is an important and interesting point for me.
>
>When you use STL classes (e.g. std::vector, std::map, ...), do you put
>try-catch blocks to guard every portion of code that uses STL classes
>methods? (even a vector.at() may throw an exception...).
>
>Thanks in advance
>MrAsm
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15972)
2/9/2007 3:47:45 AM
You can write code where you only need to catch an exception around a
function that dispatches commands. This means performing operations in
exception-safe way - not use raw pointer to hold new-ly allocated memory,
and other techniques. Mostly RAII.

> Yep.  It is one of the downsides of using exceptions.  I once worked in a
> OS that threw an
> exception whenever an API failed.  It seemed like the bulk of our code was
> try/catch
> blocks
>
> Usually you don't do it at the fine grain of every operation, but often
> you will do it for
> a basic block (a sequence of code with no transfers in or out of it) and
> deal with
> "something went bad inside here" as the paradigm.
>
> Exceptions actually let you write exceeding robust code, but at a fairly
> high cost of
> doing the recovery.
> joe
> On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 23:55:51 GMT, MrAsm <mrasm@usa.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:43:44 -0500, Joseph M. Newcomer
>><newcomer@flounder.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I note that you do not actually check to see if reserve() succeeded; this
>>>is a bad
>>>strategy.  It appears to be unspecified as to what happens if the
>>>reserve() fails, but I
>>>would expect (since it is a void method) that it would thrown an
>>>exception.
>>
>>This is an important and interesting point for me.
>>
>>When you use STL classes (e.g. std::vector, std::map, ...), do you put
>>try-catch blocks to guard every portion of code that uses STL classes
>>methods? (even a vector.at() may throw an exception...).
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>>MrAsm
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

alegr (1131)
> First, it rarely if ever matters how much physical memory you have installed.
> All that
> will happen is that you will end up paging a lot more on a small machine than
> a large
> machine.  In fact, you could run a huge number of programs that did this
> allocation and
> they would all run on the same 512MB machine. But very slowly.
>
> All this indicates that at the particular instant of time at which you did
> this
> allocation, you had 400MB of contiguous address space available in the virtual
> memory of
> your process.  Physical memory has nothing to do with this.
>
> If you run the program for a while, load some DLLs, allocate and free lots of
> stuff, there
> is a chance that the next time you try this allocation it will fail.  It works
> only at a
> particular instant in time, when the reserve() is called, and if there is
> space, you will
> be successful; if there is not space, you will fail.
>
> I note that you do not actually check to see if reserve() succeeded; this is a
> bad
> strategy.  It appears to be unspecified as to what happens if the reserve()
> fails, but I
> would expect (since it is a void method) that it would thrown an exception.

This was simply debug code. What is the best thing to do, try catch for OOM
exception?

> Note also that if you want to be correct on 64 bit machines, you can't use
> types like
> 'int' for indexes into arrays, because that limits you to 4.2G elements.
> joe

What do I use in this case a long long int ?

> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:17:58 -0600, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message
>>> Well, the real limit is either 2GB or 3GB of address space, not 4GB.  But to
>>> allocate a
>>> large array, you need to have *contiguous* address space, and that is less
>>> likely to
>>> exist.  Generally, allocating any *one* thing of more than a couple hundred
>>> megabytes is
>>
>>int MAX_SPACE = 100000000;  // 400 MB of UINT
>>std::vector<UINT> Test;
>>Test.reserve(MAX_SPACE);
>>for (int N = 0; N < MAX_SPACE; N++)
>>  Test.push_back(N);
>>AfxMessageBox("MAX_SPACE std::vector Has Been Filled!");
>>
>>I used this code to verify that I had at least 400 MB of contiguous space, and
>>it seemed to work correctly on my 512 MB machine even though Windows was
>>loaded.
>>Would the success of this test indicate that I had 400 MB of contiguous space
>>available?
>>
>>> problematic because you will not see enough contiguous memory to make it
>>> possible.
>>> Allocating more than one such thing becomes progressively less likely.
>>>
>>> Since the implementation is essentially identical, std::vector I believe
>>> allows 2**32
>>> elements, not bytes, in all implementations (on 32-bit machines).  The OS is
>>> irrelevant;
>>> the limitations of address space and address space fragmentation have
>>> applied
>>> to every OS
>>> since Windows NT 3.1 and continue through Vista.
>>>
>>> A 32-bit app running under Win64 has a 4GB address space available, and a
>>> 64-bit app
>>> running under Win64 has an 8TB address space.
>>>
>>> For a 32-bit app to use > 2GB of address space it must be marked
>>> /LARGEADDRESSAWARE when
>>> it is linked or use one of the assorted utility programs to set this flag in
>>> the exe
>>> header.
>>> joe

>>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>>> Web: http://www.flounder.com
>>> MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

NoSpam8358 (375)

Memory usage in XP (memory leak detection)
Hi How can I found out the memory usage on XP ? My XP box uses over a week all memory and then has no resources available. It has 4GB memory (3.5 GB free) I used typeperf with the following: \Memory\Available Bytes \Memory\Committed Bytes \Memory\Pool Paged Bytes \Memory\Pool Nonpaged Bytes \Memory\Cache Bytes \Memory\Cache Bytes Peak \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes Peak \Process(_total)\Virtual Bytes \Process(_total)\Working Set Peak \Process(_total)\Working Set \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes Peak \Process(_total)\Page File Bytes \Process(_total)\Private Bytes \Proc...

MS "Home and Student" 2007 Office
I'm looking at buying a new laptop which will run Windows 7. It comes with MS "Home and Student" 2007 Office. I realize that this only includes Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and One Note. I can live with my older version of Access 2002 and do not use Outlook anyway. I've been to the MS website but did not find the answer to my question below. My question is that I read that some versions of the Office Suite are crippled in their components. But I no longer recall if this applied to the "Home and Student" versions or some of the trial versions, or somethin...

MS Point of Sale Purchase Order Format
MS POS system. When a P/O prints out, the bar code is very fat and is unable to be read by our scanner. Does anyone know how to change it to something deceipherable by a scanner? You will need to modify the PurchaseOrder.xml file that is located in the Tool --> File Center in your POS Manager. Once in edit mode look for Barcode. You have several options that you can test a play with such as the ones below. I would try decreasing the width of the barcode first. If you need more help your RMS Partner should be able to help. WIDTH Numeric expression HEIGHT Numeric expression ST...

How to import from Eudora 6.1 and show graphics in message?
Hi, I've tried every format and cannot import my address's from Eudora to Outlook 2002. Anyone know how to do this? Also if someone sends a picture imbedded in the message i cannot view it. I can't find a setting other than preview pane which makes no difference. Thank's Rich Rich <rnienowremove@hotmail.com> wrote: > I've tried every format and cannot import my address's > from Eudora to Outlook 2002. > Anyone know how to do this? Try importing first into Outlook Express and then import from OE with Outlook. > Also if someone sends a picture imb...

not enough memory on excel 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <i>run excel 2008 on mac snow leopard 2 g memory i upgrade to 3 g and same</i>&#32; message not enough memory can some one help me only word working Run Remove Office then re-install Office On 30/03/10 7:08 AM, in article 59bb629f.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "Snow_leopard@officeformac.com" <Snow_leopard@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel > run excel 2008 on mac snow leopard 2 g memory i upgrade t...

Scanning opens tender window
Hi, Have you ever encoutered following issue. After upgrading system from version 1.3 to 2.0 there is one problem with some POSes. After scanning good it is not added to list in main window but program works like f12 was pressed and tender window appear. Could you please advice how i may solve this problem? Thank you in advance. Regards, Hi Adam, It is probably your ILC itself that is triggering the calling of the F12. Your scanner is probably set to carriage return, right? What is one of your actual ILC that prompts for the tender screen? -- Jocelyn &quo...

Limit input to Text Box
I want to limit the keys available to user to make input to a numeric field. I want to do this be traping the KEYDOWN event. If the user presses a key that I don't want them to use, how do I cancel the KEYDOWN? Do I set the keycode to false? "PosseJohn" <PosseJohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C9585DF0-735B-47F9-A18F-8E6B647E95AD@microsoft.com... >I want to limit the keys available to user to make input to a numeric >field. > > I want to do this be traping the KEYDOWN event. > > If the user presses a key that I don&...

CRM 3.0 Error "HTTP 403 (forbidden)" to open Report
Hi, please help me!!! i am a system administrator but i've this problem: if i open some crm's report (for exemple Account Distribution) i'll have this error page: You are not authorized to view this page You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the www.crmcg.it home p...

URGENT PRIV1.STM file near limit
Hello, I have Exchange 2003 standard configured with several mailboxes, all used with pop3 connections from external clients (no messages will remain on the server for more than a few hours). Now, I have reached the database size limit of 16 GB but the strange thing is that the priv1.edb file size is only about 200 MB, but the priv1.stm file is 15,8 GB. The store is continuosly stopped by the system and I don't know what to do. I've tried to limit the mailboxes max size, tho set the retention time for deleted messages and mailboxes to 0, I made several offline defragmentation, ...

MS RMS 1.3 in Brazil
Hi there, we are planning to open some shops in brazil. Since we use the MS RMS (Store & HQ) around europe quite successfully we'd like to stick to that product. Does any of you have experience if RMS meets the brazilian requirements? Maybe you are already working with it? Any help is highly appreciated. Thanx in advance, Chris This is region is managed by Scan Source Latin America. Please contact Louis Piedra on louis.piedra@scansourcela.com and he can put you in touch with a reseller in Brazil. Afshin Alikhani - [ afshin@retailrealm.co.uk ] CEO - Retail Realm = = = = = = =...

Comparing HP P800 SAS RAID Against Dell PERC 6/i
Does anyone here have direct experience using the HP P800 SAS RAID controller against the Dell PERC 6/i under Windows XP 64 Bit and Windows 7 64 bit? Which is the better controller? What matters to me, in order: 1) Least likely to fail (I have had HP hardware RAID controllers spontaneously lose their entire configurations on rare occasions, typically when there is a significant disk failure and during the rebuild) 2) Most power feature set under GUI software control (i.e., I don't want to get into BIOS software to do essential functions) 3) Easiest to use GUI user interfa...

EPS Prepress For Large Format Graphics From MS Publisher -- Yikes!
Greetings. I am with a small company that is going to a trade show and we'd like to create some large format banners and posters. Actually, for a small company, we make a good showing and we expect to get a good number of leads for our efforts. But what efforts! So far our efforts to create some great graphics have been very frustrating. And what we want to do is something not so unusual! WHO WOULD BE INTERESTED IN READING THIS STORY: Anyone using MS Publisher to create large format graphic objects typically for a trade show. PROBLEM: Enormous difficulty in getting a file out of MS...

Is it a memory leak
AoA I have used standard template library in one of my applications. I belive that memory leaks are due to stl components, mainly string. i wrote a sample program in VC 6.0 that clearly shows memory leaks in stl wstring str = L""; for( int a = 0 ; a < 100000 ; a++ ) { str += L"int"; } str.str.erase( str.begin() , str.end() ); str = L"int"; i wrote this code against a button in dialog based application. Before clicking the button, the memory usage is 3MB and after this code it is 17MB although i believe it should have been bac...

Integrate Fax in CMR 3.0
Is there is any way we can inetegrate Fax module in Microsoft CRM 3.0 Professional? We need the functionlity to send and recieve fax throught CRM. Please suggest... Yes you can do via third party ISV solution . I will get you the name in a day or two Yes you can do via third party ISV solution . I will get you the name in a day or two Yes you can do via third party ISV solution . I will get you the name in a day or two Krishna, can you plese provide me with details you said will post in few days. Thanks Jazz "Krishna Sydney" wrote: > Yes you can do via third par...

Separating Data #6
Nope, I'm nowhere near done, but did a test run on about a dozen rows of data. That did take a while too, so I'm thinking if I finish by the end of the week (between all other things to get done), I'll be in good shape. Thanks again for the great instructions - -- Boop914 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Boop914's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3125 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=276269 Hi, I just came in and do not know exactly what is going on but cou...

Tracking emails
When tracking emails to a Case, the lookup screen shows all cases, open, closed, etc. Is it possible to filter this list to show only open cases? Thanks, -Rick ...

SQLState=S1000, NativeError=0
I am trying to use the BCP command to execute the following statement, but I keep getting the following error: Starting copy... SQLState = S1000, NativeError = 0 Error = [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]Unexpected EOF encountered in BCP data-file 0 rows copied. Network packet size (bytes): 4096 Clock Time (ms.) Total : 1 This is a very small XML file and here are it's contents: <xml xmlns:s='uuid:BDC6E3F0-6DA3-11d1-A2A3-00AA00C14882' xmlns:dt='uuid:C2F41010-65B3-11d1-A29F-00AA00C14882' xmlns:rs='urn:schemas-microsoft-com:rowset'...

e-mail limitations
How can we increase the number of e-mails that we can send. We are doing legitimate e-mail marketing to our database, but can only send about 1500 emails at a time. We are using Exchange 2000 and outlook 2000. bruce <brucea@wingsgt.com> wrote: > How can we increase the number of e-mails that we can > send. We are doing legitimate e-mail marketing to our > database, but can only send about 1500 emails at a time. > We are using Exchange 2000 and outlook 2000. Ask your ISP. It's their limitation. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS ...

2.0 Installation problems
Ok, here goes.. MSDE 2000 - fully updated XPSP2 - fully updated ..NET 1.1 - fully updated ..NET 2.0 - fully updated PERMISSION ERROR ON MACHINE 1 1-Installed RMS 2.0 under administrator and re-booted 2-Logged on as Administrator, launched POS and entered product key (like I always do with MS products) 3-Logged off Administrator and logged on under the user account I normally run RMS under. 4-Launched POS and got a run-time error 70, writing to the registry error, a license violation error AND IE 7.0 has permission errors and would not launch I know run-time 70 errors are permission rela...

Exchange memory utilization
Is there any documentation detailing the exchange 2003 memory utilization , especially in coordination with the max store size. thanks CR What do you want to know? Exchange will use all the memory it can in the box, up to 4GB, for caching, and this isn't a function of store size. It will release memory so that other processes can get what they need. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "MSNews" <Craig@nowhere.org> wrote in message news:etwPVF%23RHHA.4832@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Is there any documentati...

Out of Memory
I am using Excel 2000. Operating system is MS 2000. Ram = 512. I am running a large Excel file 65,536 rows by 24 columns. The columns may expand somewhat; say 5 extra rows as the Macro runs. The Excel file links to another Excel file to do some vlookups. Some formatting is going on as well as Paste Special Value. I get an out of error message and Excel stops. If I only have 50,000 rows it works fine. I have increased the virtual memory to the maximum, same thing. Any suggestions???? Hi, There are only 65536 rows in a worksheet. You cannot use all the rows. Split your sheet into sevra...

macro #6
Hi how can I convert a field that has an ' before the number, for example '4578 i would like to convert it to 4578 Greg Hi Greg, For a VBA solution, try: '=============>> Public Sub DeleteApostrophes() Dim WB As Workbook Dim SH As Worksheet Dim rCell As Range Set WB = Workbooks("YourBook.xls") '<<===== CHANGE Set SH = WB.Sheets("Sheet1") '<<===== CHANGE Set rng = SH.Range("A1:A20") '<<===== CHANGE For Each rCell In rng If rCell.PrefixCharacter = "'" ...

2003 mail box limits?
By default installation does exchange 2003 have mailbox space limits? for the regular version of exchange 2003 is there a limit to the entire exchange database? Just going from memory here, but I think "by default", there is no mailbox size limit set during installation. There is a 10-12MB msg size limit set, but no mailbox size limit. You can easily change by: 1) via system policy, 2) mailbox store properties, or 3) mailbox level properties ... it all depends on what the global setting should be and whether or not you have exceptions to the global policy. "David Lew...

memory growing spreadsheet
Hi Again I have another query- For some reason when working on a spreadsheet it can start with say, 925kb in size,I do a couple of changes, then "Wolla" 10+mb It only happens every now and again, but I have tried copy then paste special, taken all macro's out, save as a different name,copy sheet into different book, but still can't bring it back down in size, "Hu" I even took my changes back out What is going on? John .. Hi John, What are you doing? Whatever it is, I think I'd want to do something else. But I haven't any hint what to avoid doing &...