Looking for suggestions on usage of Combobox with 50000 items or alternatives?

to handle this situation more efficiently?

Thanks.

0
binstar (33)
7/3/2003 3:38:43 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Look at CComboBox::InitStorage.
				joe

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 23:38:43 -0400, "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote:

>to handle this situation more efficiently?
>
>Thanks.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15973)
7/3/2003 4:00:01 AM
50000 items would be way to many for a user to scroll through also, moving
the scroll thumb would be so sensitive it would be hard to find anything.
consider breaking it down by selecting smaller catagories with another
control, doing a search, a tree control, or some other mechanism to make it
easier for the user.  i'm not sure what the gui usability experts would say
but i think that 50 or so items in a combo or list box is about as many as i
would want to use.

"Paul S. Ganney" <paul.ganney@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote:

way
> >to handle this situation more efficiently?
> >

> 50,000 items seems rather excessive to me... have you considered a
> database searching edit box instead?
>
> Paul.
> Expressed opinions are usually my own.
> Especially if they're any good (of course).
> NB Spam trap in e-mail address

drobbins (12)

combobox #2
i inserted a few items into combobox and when i run the application combobox dispalys nothing. anybody knows why? winnicki "rsobies" <rsobies@wp.pl> schreef in bericht news:eU9ih2luEHA.3872@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > i inserted a few items into combobox and when i run the application combobox > dispalys nothing. anybody knows why? > > winnicki > Yes. Remove the combobox and create a new one, but then size it down until the bottom of the dialog while drawing. Enter your data again and run your app. Tada. > Yes. > Remove the combobox and create a new o...

All my icons look the same (except IE8 and the recycle bin)
i cant open any windows...when i click on them the open with window pops up and wants me to pick wat i want to open it with...i can only get on the internet in safe mode with networking. and when i try to open...for example paint it says invalid bitmap, or its format is not currently supported and other windows wont even open. got any ideas on how i can fix this?? On Sun, 30 May 2010 06:54:01 -0700, xxkoreanxx wrote in message <news:999F2CE9-8E21-47DC-8BA4-BAC1F1329F6E@microsoft.com>: > i cant open any windows...when i click on them the open with window pops up > a...

Looking for feedback
Hey everyone just started my own business doing consulting / training for Microsoft Outlook please check out my site www.outlookchallenged.com and provide any suggestions / feedback please. Any advice is good advice at this point. Thanks -- www.outlookchallenged.com Br Sense <outlookhelp@ftard.com> wrote: > Hey everyone just started my own business doing consulting / training > for Microsoft Outlook please check out my site > www.outlookchallenged.com and provide any suggestions / feedback > please. Any advice is good advice at this point. The best advice I have to offer ...

Looking for CRM Solution
Does anyone use, or has anyone encountered, a CRM based solution used for residentail, multifamily property management? On Apr 28, 12:55=A0pm, MrB <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone use, or has anyone encountered, a CRM based solution used for > residentail, multifamily property management? The beauty of Microsoft CRM is that it can be customized for any business in any industry. It's ability to be customized using front- end tools (not within code) is , as far as I know, unparalleled by any other software package. You have the ability to create new entiti...

Item Price Problem (Price carries over) not fixed by RMS 1.3R
We recently recognized an issue where item prices would carry over to the next viewed item if the user closes the item edit screen by clicking [x] or clicking in the background of RMS. After browsing this group, I went ahead and asked our Microsoft Partner to send us the 1.3R release of RMS, thinking that it would correct the problem. Well, I've just finished installing 1.3R and it did not fix it....Any ideas? -- Alex Nielsen Alex, Get the latest hotfix, 1.3.1003 or above, as it was reported as a bug after 1.3R went into production. Contact MS or your reseller for it. -- * Get Se...

=COUNTA() with multiple look-up
Hi All, I would like to count the number of items that have a value "AAA" in column A and an amount >0 in column B. As I am not quite sure how to incorporate two look-ups in a counta formula I was wondering if anyone can give me the formula? Many thanks! Rgds, Robert Try something like this: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="AAA")*(B1:B100>0)) or....if there may be some text cells in B1:B100 interspersed with the numbers =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="AAA")*ISNUMBER(B1:B100)*(B1:B100>0)) Is that something you can work with? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP &...

Can't View Downloaded Items to Review
In my transaction view, after connecting to my Bank, I usually have items that show up in my transactions list based on how many items were downloaded. I have 8 Items for Review, but they do not show up in the transaction list?!?!?! Try the following article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316900&Product=mny "Dalton" <geoff@2bones.com> wrote in message news:e6EFv8vgDHA.520@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > In my transaction view, after connecting to my Bank, I usually have items > that show up in my transactions list based on how many items were...

can I edit a picture to look faded?
I want to edit my picture to be faded so I can use it as background with text over it. "deborahm" <deborahm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4D93DD63-8553-447D-A0AC-44EE0E1BD9B3@microsoft.com... > I want to edit my picture to be faded so I can use it as background with > text > over it. In Publisher you can do it one of two ways. For both ways start by inserting the picture. Method 1, right click on picture and select Format Picture, click on picture tab, then click on the dropdown for Color under Image Control and select wash...

Customize Sales Literature Item
Hi I know that salesliteratureitem entity is not customizable. But I need add fields. It is posible. Thank a lot On Feb 20, 4:47=A0pm, Katyc <Ka...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi > > I know that =A0salesliteratureitem entity is not customizable. But I need= add > fields. It is posible. > > Thank =A0a lot Hello Katcyc, According to the SDK this entity is customizable and you can edit the form and fields. Could this be a permissions issue? Thanks! Thank you Danny, SDK only i can customize Sales Literature, no sales Literature Item in the Database doe...

data look up and return values across a row
I have a list in one spreadsheet, we'll call it 'spreadsheet A' that I need to cross reference with another larger spreadsheet, which we'll call 'spreadsheet B'. I'd like to remove everything from B that isn't on A. Is there an easy way of doing that? Chip Pearson has lots of info about working with duplicates at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm Betsey wrote: > > I have a list in one spreadsheet, we'll call it 'spreadsheet A' that I need > to cross reference with another larger spreadsheet, which we'll call > &#...

DoCmd.RunSQL combobox column
I am not sure what is wrong with the statement: DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO CaseAddresses ( [Address] ) VALUES (Forms![AddressManager].Form![cmbAddress]![Column(2)])", -1 I have a combo box and I am trying to take the value from column 2 of the combobox and have it enter as a new record in the CaseAddresses table in field Address. It adds a new record but it's blank in the Address field. I have the correct column. The reference to the control has to be outside of the quotes. DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO CaseAddresses ( [Address] ) " & _ "VALU...

Enable Client Recovery of Deleted Items
Can anyone offer assistance in enabling the user/client to recover deleted items function in Exchange 2003. The information store's retention period is set to seven days and yet the option to recover deleted items in the Outlook client is greyed/disabled. Thanks! On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:40:06 -0700, "JT" <JT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can anyone offer assistance in enabling the user/client to recover deleted >items function in Exchange 2003. The information store's retention period is >set to seven days and yet the option to recover deleted item...

alternate row shading kept with autofilter
Dear experts, I have a range which can be autofiltered by users and it's in alternate row shading (conditional formatting, =mod(row(),2)). However, when users select their autofilter criteria, the alternate shading is broken so it is not really usfeul any longer. Is there a way I can keep it? Many thanks in advance for your help. Best regards -- Valeria =MOD(SUBTOTAL(3,$A1:$A$2),2)=0 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 01:24:01 -0700, Valeria <Valeria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Dear experts, >I have a range which can be auto...

Calculate Average in pivot item
Hi friends, I need to calculate the average of a column in a pivot for eg. Jan 09 and Feb 09 so on and so forth for the whole year. Now how can i calculate the average of count of Jan 09 and Feb 09 ie. (Jan 09 + Feb 09)/2 . Data in the column just says Jan 09, feb 09 , mar 09 so I have to take their count against other columns and then take its average. I tried calculating item in the pivot but its giving error "Calculated items do not work with customs subtotal". If you can advise the above or its alternative, I'll be greatful. Regards, KD Hi, Please ...

Looking for basic multiplaction formula
HI ALL, I'm trying to multiply cells d5-d9 by cells a5-a9 and put the answer in cells d14 - d18 ( using caps ) I have tried =(D5*A5) in d14 and then pulling it down to d18 PLEASE HELP ME IVE BEEN AT THIS FOR AN HOUR AND A HALF!! Sounds to me like you had it right... what's not working? In cell D14 enter "=D5*A5" Copy that and paste it in cells D15 to D18. Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel) www.excelguru.ca Concarp wrote: > HI ALL, > I'm trying to multiply cells d5-d9 by cells a5-a9 and > put the answer in cells d14 - d18 ( using caps ) > ...

Include item on every transaction
I have a non-inventory item DELIVERY. I would like to require it on every transaction. Is there any way to do this? Tom -- The worst words in business: "We''ve always done it that way" -- Stop Fishing for eMail. To have it added to every transaction automatically (without user intervention) you would need to use a hook function - either InitializeTransaction or BeginTender would seem appropriate to me.. Much simpler would be to create a Custom POS Button to add the item - there is an example on CustomerSource. This requires the cashier to click the button on every...

Project Accounting Menu Items missing
I use GP 8 on MS SQL 2000. After creating a new company, applying Grant.sql and running the PA Conversion utilities, I still dont get the PA initialize options in the menu. I added it as a short cut, ran PA initialize SQl and PA initialize company and yet the project menu items are not being displayed. Is there anything I missed out? ...

Auto Filter-Or any other suggestions
I need to be able to sort the data on my worksheet by project so that it brings up all of the associated items for that category. For example: If I sort on Project #1, I would like for it to bring up all of the activities, actions, and due dates only for that project. How would I do this if the items in Activity, Action , and Due date are in different rows? When I try to auto filter by Project, it only brings up Acitivty 1-1, Action 1-1, Due date 1, but I need for it to bring up every Activity, Action, and Due date for Project 1. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!! For E...

Looking for sheet to handle MPG, etc
HI I am looking for a sheet to handle gas mileage. things like MPG etc. It would be great to have a ready made sheet to handle this info thanks supermari -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com This shouldn't be too difficult unless you attended college at Texas A&M =miles driven/gallons used -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "supermario >" <<supermario.1a3sk4@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:supermario.1a3sk4@excelforum-nospam.com... > HI > I am looking for a sheet to handle gas mileage. > things like MPG etc. &g...

Reason for e-mail sent to Deleted Items
Whenever an e-mail is sent from the officer manager in my office the e-mail is automatically sent to my deleted items file. I have searched my Blocked Senders list several times and have not found her e-mail address on that list. Thought maybe it had been added to the list by mistake. Is there a way to find out why a particular e- mail has been automatically deleted? If not, is there a way to allow her e-mails to be delivered to my inbox? Please help - could miss something important. Thanks What version of Outlook do you use? Have you checked the Rules Wizard? Maybe there is a ru...

Accounting Alternatives
Hi all Not sure whether this is the best group to ask the question as I expect members to be defensive of the subject but... Our company only has 3 regular users of the GP software. The accountant (one of the above) reckons that GP is the only solution that covers multi-company and multi currency accounts. Is this true, or are there more "small-to-medium-size-business" solutions that can cope with this? Seems like GP is the original sledge hammer cracking a microscopic nut here! TIA Phil ...

look up who is connected
hello i would like to check if any pc connects to my xp box which it shares a lot of dirs. can powershell do the job and how? not sure in PS but "netstat" could do this for you. regards Ramazan "ryan" <ryanlihk@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eKobVuVrKHA.4220@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > hello > > i would like to check if any pc connects to my xp box which it shares a > lot of dirs. > > can powershell do the job and how? thanks On 2/15/2010 2:21 AM, RCan wrote: > not sure in PS but "netstat" could do this...

Inventory Historical usage report
Does any one know what table or tables hold the Inventory uasge history. I am trying to write a report that will show toatl number of inventory items sold by year for each item number. I am on GP 9.0. I know this information is veiw by item number in the system but i need to get it out to excel asap. Thank you Ken You should be able to pull this information from the Inventory Transactions Amount History table (IV30300). You will have to summarize by year as you described where HSTMODUL = 'SOP'. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http...

sent messages are not saved in the sent items folders
Hi! With no special reson, and with everything configured the way it should be my outlook 2002 just stopped saving the sent messages in my sent items folder any idea? - yes - the "save a copy" checkbox is checked!! Thanks in advance, Nir. ...

minor suggestion for Outlook 2007
This is really a minor suggestion - it would be great if when I opted to look at Contacts 'By Category', that all the groups were in a closed postion .... or if I had the option to expand or compress all. That's it. Thanks, DH "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message news:O09XezKaIHA.5784@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > This is really a minor suggestion - it would be great if when I opted to > look at Contacts 'By Category', that all the groups were in a closed > postion ... or if I had the option to expand or compress all. > > Vi...