locking up

This might be more of a GDI question, but since I'm in MFC, I'll ask:

Would BitBlt-ing to the screen repeatedly tend to lock up a program, after
alt+tabbing to another application?  If so, why?  This seems to be happening
to me, and I want to get to the bottom of the problem.  What I have is
either a fade loop or a screen-size redraw, both based on a timer and
bitblt.  Quite often, after I leave the program to go to another app, I
cannot return and must "end task".

0
srussell2458 (497)
12/7/2005 12:11:12 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message
> This might be more of a GDI question, but since I'm in MFC, I'll ask:
>
> Would BitBlt-ing to the screen repeatedly tend to lock up a program, after
> alt+tabbing to another application?  If so, why?  This seems to be
> happening to me, and I want to get to the bottom of the problem.  What I
> have is either a fade loop or a screen-size redraw, both based on a timer
> and bitblt.  Quite often, after I leave the program to go to another app,
> I cannot return and must "end task".
 - - -
I should clarify that both involve GetClientRect and the entire available
draw area.

0
srussell2458 (497)
12/7/2005 12:20:11 AM
How confident are you of your GDI code? It sounds as if there could be a
resource leak.

"Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message
> This might be more of a GDI question, but since I'm in MFC, I'll ask:
>
> Would BitBlt-ing to the screen repeatedly tend to lock up a program, after
> alt+tabbing to another application?  If so, why?  This seems to be
> happening to me, and I want to get to the bottom of the problem.  What I
> have is either a fade loop or a screen-size redraw, both based on a timer
> and bitblt.  Quite often, after I leave the program to go to another app,
> I cannot return and must "end task".

Define "lock up"...there are various interpretations of this phrase, including "nothing
seems to draw" which usually translates as "GDI resource leak".

The use of GetClientRect on the entire available draw area is almost certainly irrelevant.

One thing to try is to attach a debugger (or be running under the debugger), and do a
break to see where you are running.  Then, try single-stepping (note that if you are in a
paint handler, you have to make sure the VS running the debugger does not in any way
overlap any of the window being drawn, or you won't be able to effectively debug).
				joe

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 19:20:11 -0500, "Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net>
wrote:

>"Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message
>> This might be more of a GDI question, but since I'm in MFC, I'll ask:
>>
>> Would BitBlt-ing to the screen repeatedly tend to lock up a program, after
>> alt+tabbing to another application?  If so, why?  This seems to be
>> happening to me, and I want to get to the bottom of the problem.  What I
>> have is either a fade loop or a screen-size redraw, both based on a timer
>> and bitblt.  Quite often, after I leave the program to go to another app,
>> I cannot return and must "end task".
> - - -
>I should clarify that both involve GetClientRect and the entire available
>draw area.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
12/7/2005 10:16:14 PM
Thanks, Joe.  By "lock up" I mean that the only thing left visually of my
program is the icon in the taskbar.  The window does not reappear, once I
have switched to another application and then try to return.
----------------
> Define "lock up"...there are various interpretations of this phrase,
> including "nothing
> seems to draw" which usually translates as "GDI resource leak".
>
> The use of GetClientRect on the entire available draw area is almost
> certainly irrelevant.
>
> One thing to try is to attach a debugger (or be running under the
> debugger), and do a
> break to see where you are running.  Then, try single-stepping (note that
> if you are in a
> paint handler, you have to make sure the VS running the debugger does not
> in any way
> overlap any of the window being drawn, or you won't be able to effectively
> debug).
> joe
>
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 19:20:11 -0500, "Steve Russell"
> <srussell@removethisinnernet.net>
> wrote:
>
>>"Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message
>>> This might be more of a GDI question, but since I'm in MFC, I'll ask:
>>>
>>> Would BitBlt-ing to the screen repeatedly tend to lock up a program,
>>> after
>>> alt+tabbing to another application?  If so, why?  This seems to be
>>> happening to me, and I want to get to the bottom of the problem.  What I
>>> have is either a fade loop or a screen-size redraw, both based on a
>>> timer
>>> and bitblt.  Quite often, after I leave the program to go to another
>>> app,
>>> I cannot return and must "end task".
>> - - -
>>I should clarify that both involve GetClientRect and the entire available
>>draw area.
>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

srussell2458 (497)
12/8/2005 5:49:46 AM
Thanks, Joe and "M".  I was probably deleting a particular object, that
calls GDI functions, a bit too late in the BitBlt cycles.  Now, instead of
locking up, the program stops, so I'll look elsewhere for that problem.
----------------
"M" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> How confident are you of your GDI code? It sounds as if there could be a
> resource leak.
>

> "Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message
>> This might be more of a GDI question, but since I'm in MFC, I'll ask:
>>
>> Would BitBlt-ing to the screen repeatedly tend to lock up a program,
>> after alt+tabbing to another application?  If so, why?  This seems to be
>> happening to me, and I want to get to the bottom of the problem.  What I
>> have is either a fade loop or a screen-size redraw, both based on a timer
>> and bitblt.  Quite often, after I leave the program to go to another app,
>> I cannot return and must "end task".

0
srussell2458 (497)
12/9/2005 2:23:53 AM
Now I notice that Windows screensaver also stops my program.  I am bitblting
to the entire screen on a timer every several seconds.  Any further thoughts
on this, before I try to track down the bug?
------------
> Define "lock up"...there are various interpretations of this phrase,
> including "nothing
> seems to draw" which usually translates as "GDI resource leak".
>
> The use of GetClientRect on the entire available draw area is almost
> certainly irrelevant.
>
> One thing to try is to attach a debugger (or be running under the
> debugger), and do a
> break to see where you are running.  Then, try single-stepping (note that
> if you are in a
> paint handler, you have to make sure the VS running the debugger does not
> in any way
> overlap any of the window being drawn, or you won't be able to effectively
> debug).
> joe
>
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 19:20:11 -0500, "Steve Russell"
> <srussell@removethisinnernet.net>
> wrote:
>
>>"Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message
>>> This might be more of a GDI question, but since I'm in MFC, I'll ask:
>>>
>>> Would BitBlt-ing to the screen repeatedly tend to lock up a program,
>>> after
>>> alt+tabbing to another application?  If so, why?  This seems to be
>>> happening to me, and I want to get to the bottom of the problem.  What I
>>> have is either a fade loop or a screen-size redraw, both based on a
>>> timer
>>> and bitblt.  Quite often, after I leave the program to go to another
>>> app,
>>> I cannot return and must "end task".
>> - - -
>>I should clarify that both involve GetClientRect and the entire available
>>draw area.
>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

srussell2458 (497)
12/9/2005 1:25:26 PM
Aha -- I was deriving some of my supporting values from GetClipBox.
Therefore, when the the window was not visible, I had zero values that would
not increment and thus the lockup.  Thanks again, gentlemen.
---------------
> Define "lock up"...there are various interpretations of this phrase,
> including "nothing
> seems to draw" which usually translates as "GDI resource leak".
>
> The use of GetClientRect on the entire available draw area is almost
> certainly irrelevant.
>
> One thing to try is to attach a debugger (or be running under the
> debugger), and do a
> break to see where you are running.  Then, try single-stepping (note that
> if you are in a
> paint handler, you have to make sure the VS running the debugger does not
> in any way
> overlap any of the window being drawn, or you won't be able to effectively
> debug).
> joe
>
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 19:20:11 -0500, "Steve Russell"
> <srussell@removethisinnernet.net>
> wrote:
>
>>"Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message
>>> This might be more of a GDI question, but since I'm in MFC, I'll ask:
>>>
>>> Would BitBlt-ing to the screen repeatedly tend to lock up a program,
>>> after
>>> alt+tabbing to another application?  If so, why?  This seems to be
>>> happening to me, and I want to get to the bottom of the problem.  What I
>>> have is either a fade loop or a screen-size redraw, both based on a
>>> timer
>>> and bitblt.  Quite often, after I leave the program to go to another
>>> app,
>>> I cannot return and must "end task".
>> - - -
>>I should clarify that both involve GetClientRect and the entire available
>>draw area.
>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

srussell2458 (497)
12/10/2005 2:02:32 PM
Screensavers often run in a separate desktop, so whatever you are doing to your main
desktop becomes irrelevant if the screensaver is up.
				joe

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 08:25:26 -0500, "Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net>
wrote:

>Now I notice that Windows screensaver also stops my program.  I am bitblting
>to the entire screen on a timer every several seconds.  Any further thoughts
>on this, before I try to track down the bug?
>------------
>> Define "lock up"...there are various interpretations of this phrase,
>> including "nothing
>> seems to draw" which usually translates as "GDI resource leak".
>>
>> The use of GetClientRect on the entire available draw area is almost
>> certainly irrelevant.
>>
>> One thing to try is to attach a debugger (or be running under the
>> debugger), and do a
>> break to see where you are running.  Then, try single-stepping (note that
>> if you are in a
>> paint handler, you have to make sure the VS running the debugger does not
>> in any way
>> overlap any of the window being drawn, or you won't be able to effectively
>> debug).
>> joe
>>
>> On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 19:20:11 -0500, "Steve Russell"
>> <srussell@removethisinnernet.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message

>>> - - -
>>>I should clarify that both involve GetClientRect and the entire available
>>>draw area.
>>>
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)

locking up
This might be more of a GDI question, but since I'm in MFC, I'll ask: Would BitBlt-ing to the screen repeatedly tend to lock up a program, after alt+tabbing to another application? If so, why? This seems to be happening to me, and I want to get to the bottom of the problem. What I have is either a fade loop or a screen-size redraw, both based on a timer and bitblt. Quite often, after I leave the program to go to another app, I cannot return and must "end task". "Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message news:%23YFL5Ks%23F...

Lock formula to cell
I want a formula to lock to a cell so that when I add or delete a column the formula will always remain with say column H I know if the sheet is Password protected this will prevent this happening but that is no use when I have to unprotect the sheet to delete a column. Anyone got thoughts on this? regards Pat Hi Pat without using VBA you can't achieve this Frank Pat wrote: > I want a formula to lock to a cell so that when I add or delete a > column the formula will always remain with say column H > > I know if the sheet is Password protected this will prevent this >...

Desktop Alert Locks Computer
Greetings, I am seeing a little quirk on some of my desktops. It only happens occasionally, but it happens to different models of PC. Not all the time, but once in awhile, I have users that complain of their PC freezing. The only remedy is to do a hard reboot. I have noticed in these instances, that the desktop mail alert ( the preview that pops up by the system clock when you get a new mail) is showing when it froze. If I go into Outlook and turn off the desktop alert, then the PC freezing stops. So, I know that the Desktop Alert is the cause of the problem. Has anyone else ever seen this? Th...

Outllook2007 to open my Outlook2002 Win7 says files locked.
I'm following 2002 to 2007 instructions step by step. When I point Outlook to my ..pst file, I get access restriction messages. How do I make sure these files can be accessed by Outlook 2007? Thanks. Which exact steps are these? From your Outlook 2002 machine, copy the pst-file to your Outlook 2007 machine and place it in a convenient location such as My Documents\Outlook\ In Outlook 2007 you can then reconnect to the pst-file via; File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... For details see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm -- Robert Sparnaai...

locked excel File ??
Hi . I am working with my colleges with one Excel file in a shared file system. Sometime - when I open the file, there is the message "locked from College" - but he is definetly out of office and shut down his PC. We are using Excel 2003 + Excel 2007. What can I do?? THnks for help Susan ...

Locked out of database
Not sure what happened but get a message saying "database has been converted from a prior version of Access by using DAO compactdatabase and is now in a partially converted state." It says I should be able to import tables into a new data base but when I try this it just gives the same message about converting and the data base just doesn't open. Please help because lots at stake, have to do a report based on these tables so am waiting with anticipation!!!x Hi Pete, Usually this means you are opening an earlier version of Access in a new version. Make a copy of the data...

Money "lock-out" solution-thanks Kurt
Kurt Thanks for the idea. It worked. I unistalled money 2002 and the reinstalled using custom mode...up and running again! Thank -you What happens to all your data when you do that? Do you still have your data? I tried reinstalling, but no luck. I hate to uninstall, since I would lose all the data, right? Would appreciate info. Thanks, Alice >-----Original Message----- >Kurt > >Thanks for the idea. It worked. I unistalled money 2002 >and the reinstalled using custom mode...up and running >again! Thank -you >. > Your data is in a file *.mny. This is ind...

Lock autoshape to fixed position
Hello, Does anybody know if it is possible to keep an autoshape to a fixed position. I have a worksheet that has two panes, one is frozen i.e. a fixed header and scrollable rows. On the bottom of the page I want to put a button bar made of shape buttons. The problem is that when I scroll, the buttons scroll too! It would be nices if I can keep them in position. I know that is is possible to add a second window, but that does not look so well... Any ideas? Multiple fixed panes would be a great option! Change the alignment option to be absolute. Picture properties > Layout tab > Advan...

Form locking up
I've completed my own Linked Table Manager wizard, so that the connections I create to SQL Server and Oracle database on my network don't require a DSN (DSN-less connections). This wizard exists in its own mda file, which I have added as a reference in several of my databases. In my test database, this wizard runs great. I've got a command button that calls a function (fnRefreshLinks) that exists in the wizard. It opens a form, refreshes a list of the linked tables, tests the link, and provides me with some options. When I run this same function from another database, it...

Where am I being locked out?!
This is an unusual problem and I'm hoping someone will have come across something similar before. Before I start I should state that I've hardly used Windows Server or Active Directory, so go easy on me if this is something obvious! I am having my account locked out on a daily basis. I know that this isn't to do with my machine as it happens even if I get my account unlocked and wait a day without turning my machine on I still can't log on the day after. I'm pretty sure it's a piece of software that I've installed somewhere that keeps trying to con...

Why not use this as a lock object in lock
Hello! According to the docs it says that lock (this) is a problem if the instance can be accessed publicly. Can somebody explain what can happen if I have a lock section and use this as the lock object like this. lock(this) { } //Tony On 2010-06-20 17:09, Tony Johansson wrote: > According to the docs it says that lock (this) is a problem if the instance > can be accessed publicly. > Can somebody explain what can happen if I have a lock section and use this > as the lock object like this. > lock(this) > { > > } > http://haacked.com/ar...

"Computer Locked" dialog does not show up
I have windows XP Pro (version 2002) SP3. When I lock my computer, I do not see the "Computer Locked . . . " dialog. Instead, I only see the "Unlock Computer" dialog immediately upon locking. I am concerned about not pressing Ctrl+Atl+Del before entering my password to unlock. Is there a setting that I can change (I have extensive knowledge of windows registry and system tools, but I have not been able to find an option to "Show only unlock screen". ...

locks and more locks
Hello. This is about a SQL Server 2005 back end and Access 2007 front end. There is a front end on each user's machine. This has to do with the locking (or blocking as some call it) issue. Connections from the front end remain open once the user opens the front end until the front end closes, if the user closes the front end at all and not everyone closes the front end when done. There can be approximately 100 (+/-) people using the front end during the day. Some may actually be transmitting data (transactions) and some may not. But my thought is if the connection is a...

Keyboard locked
Hello all My keyboard seems to be locked and I can't type anthing. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501(three yrs old). I pressed the fn key with the number lock key and that didn't work. Can someone please help. Thx Dolores Try replacing the keyboard and/or rebooting your computer. "dolores01" <u59578@uwe> wrote in message news:a6fd3466ee816@uwe... > Hello all > My keyboard seems to be locked and I can't type anthing. I have a Dell > Inspiron 1501(three yrs old). I pressed the fn key with the number lock > key > and that didn't work. Can...

Determine which mail is locking queue
Came in to work yesterday and exchange was not delivering mail... bummer. I determined the queue was all backed up. Message tracking showed (*from memory) that the messages were being submitted to the advanced queue but would continue no further. I the reboot the server, stop the smtp server when it's back up move and then move all messages in the queue folder to a new folder and start the smtp server. All is well. I stop smtp server, place some of the messages I moved back into the queue folder and start the server again. So on and so forth until messages stop being delivered aga...

Template locked
We have a customised normal template on a network which is accessed by a number of users. Only I can modify the template. We have recently upgraded to Word 2007. The template is working well save that at the moment we are unable to delete or rename the template as it is saying that the document is locked by another user. All users were logged out at the time. Please help. The normal template is NOT intended to be shared. You should put whatever cutomizations you require into either an add-in (a template that is stored in each users Word Startup Folder or into a template tha...

How to lock vertical positon of linked excel charts
I link charts from excel into powerpoint. The total number of rows will periodically decrease/increase. The original linked chart is the max size. It can only decrease from there and maybe increase back to the original size as the data changes. All of my charts have a vertical position of 1.5 so they don't "jump" around to the viewer. How can I lock the vertical position when the data changes so I don't have to manually reset the slides? My automated slide deck is approx 124 slides, approx 50% are linked charts. Manually checking and fixing is not a good ...

Cursor Anchor Lock
I have had this happen to me in Excel over the years. I am sure it has to do with a memory issue but I am curious if it has happened to anyone else. The helpless desk where I work is clueless, I know 10X more about excel than anyone in the IT dept. Sometimes, for no apparent reason, my cursor will anchor onto a cell. I can still move the cursor but it stays in select mode, i.e. if I drag the mouse it is as if I was holding down the left click button, selecting cells as I move the mouse. No matter what I do I can't get the excel to deselect the cell and I have to control/alt/del to kil...

Scrolling Locks Workstation
We are running Great Plains 7.0 and several users are reporting the following problem. Often when using the mouse wheel to scroll in Great Plains (e.g. using the lookup and scrolling through the list), Great Plains freezez on them. The hourglass appears, and then Not Responding appears on the titlebar. Our only option is to crash Great Plains, log-out the user, and then have them log back in and try again. I found knowledgebase article 856026 which sort-of explains how to resolve a similar issue, but it is for Windows 95 or NT. Our users are on Windows 2000 or XP. Has anyone els...

How to Lock VBProject Programmatically without SendKeys (Note:- I don't want to Unlock or crack the VBProject. Just want to Lock it Programmatically)
Hi all, I got macro in which I can Lock VBProject with SendKeys. But problem with SendKeys that they not work on every User's Computer and Users can see all the hard work which I put to create my macros. I tried to search for the sultion but I came across with the comments that its not available because of the security issues. Well i want to say that i don't want to Unlock or Cract the VBProject. I just want to Lock it Programmatically. If there is no sultion then its my message to Microsoft that they should at least put this function also that you can secure your Macros o...

Help Locking Worksheet
I inherited a workbook that has several sheets, have gone thru and mad changes and now when I lock it I cannot go from the last table cell o the first row to the second row. Tabbing will just continue you out o the same row. I want to be on cell BD3, hit tab and go to C5. Does the fact that I have the to & leftmost cells frozen have anythin to do with this? How can I fix it -- jlabshe ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jlabsher's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1556 View this thread: http://www.excelfo...

Re: Outlook locks up with a officelifeboathang
"Andy Lay" <58746@gmail.com> wrote in message news:... > Message-ID: <a7b660e6180d48ddae1e1df6c5775272@newspe.com> > X-Mailer: http://www.umailcampaign.com, ip log:72.24.97.26 > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general > NNTP-Posting-Host: 22.bb.5446.static.theplanet.com 70.84.187.34 > Path: TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl!newspe.com > Lines: 1 > Xref: TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl microsoft.public.outlook.general:737044 > > Hi Swinglower- > > I have luck as you do :) A Chief Exec machine with this very issue....

locking data #3
I have 2 column of info. My first column has 100 different items and my second column has numbers 1 through 100 in sequence. I want to concatenate the 2 columns and not have the second column of numbers show in the concatenated column. I formatted the second column's numbers to be white, to match the cells white backgroung. When I concatenate the columns the resulting column has the numbers in black again, I need for them to stay white any ideas Thank you in advance Excel doesn't support that kind of formatting with formulas. If you converted to values, you could format eac...

Access 2003 OLE communication error
MS Access is totally broken on my machine, whenever I attempt to open an existing database or just open the bare program I always get the error message "A problem occurred while MS Office Access was communicating with the OLE server or ActiveX control" It is impossible to regain control of Access, whenever we close the message box, it just immediately reopens again, and we cannot do anything at all in Access including closing down the program. We have to kill it in Task manager. We have tried repairing Office, we have totally uninstalled Office and reinstalled it, we hav...