Linking with 3rd party DLL

I'm trying to link a command line based program with a 3rd party DLL.
That seems to become an impossible mission. I get these error
messages:

LINK : warning LNK4199: /DELAYLOAD:CodeGen.dll ignored; no imports
found from CodeGen.dll
CCAcodegen.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
_CreateCodeShort3 referenced in function _main

In my code i have this statement:

extern "C"
{
const char* CreateCodeShort3(int level, const char *name, const char
*encryption_template, unsigned long hardwareID, unsigned short
otherinfo1, unsigned short otherinfo2, unsigned short otherinfo3,
unsigned short otherinfo4, unsigned short otherinfo5);
}

Usually that would be the approach for external .obj or .lib files but
how can I can tell the linker that the specified function is in the
specified DLL? The documentation of the 3rd party sofware is
unfortunately very poor.

TIA,
Hans

0
news25 (28)
11/13/2008 2:46:29 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In article <285nh4p5mg8crejolan2hvgl3vhace0tiv@4ax.com>, news@wolptec.de
says...
> I'm trying to link a command line based program with a 3rd party DLL.
> That seems to become an impossible mission. I get these error
> messages:

That is Armadillo? It is easy enough, but you do need the CodeGen.lib
file added to your project. The latest version of Armadillo doesn't
include it, but you can send an email to siliconrealm support to request
it.
0
dont4459 (9)
11/13/2008 5:54:47 AM
Gert <dont@want.no.spam> schrieb:

>In article <285nh4p5mg8crejolan2hvgl3vhace0tiv@4ax.com>, news@wolptec.de
>says...
>> I'm trying to link a command line based program with a 3rd party DLL.
>> That seems to become an impossible mission. I get these error
>> messages:
>
>That is Armadillo? It is easy enough, but you do need the CodeGen.lib
>file added to your project. The latest version of Armadillo doesn't
>include it, but you can send an email to siliconrealm support to request
>it.

I don't want to link it with the project but I need a command line
based key generator to run on the server. I'm in contact with
siliconrealm about licensing questions. When I don't get it to work
I'll ask tech support. They seem to use VS too for their stuff.

0
news25 (28)
11/13/2008 7:36:21 AM
"Hans-J. Ude" <news@wolptec.de> wrote in message
> Gert <dont@want.no.spam> schrieb:
>
>>That is Armadillo? It is easy enough, but you do need the CodeGen.lib
>>file added to your project. The latest version of Armadillo doesn't
>>include it, but you can send an email to siliconrealm support to request
>>it.
>
> I don't want to link it with the project but I need a command line
> based key generator to run on the server. I'm in contact with
> siliconrealm about licensing questions. When I don't get it to work
> I'll ask tech support. They seem to use VS too for their stuff.

You need to link with the import lib for the DLL (if the DLL is codegen.dll,
then the import lib is codegen.lib.)  You can use the DUMPBIN program
included with Visual studio with "/exports" to see the signatures of the
exported functions of codegen.dll.  Make sure the function is declared that
way.  But isn't there a codegen.h file they give you as well as the DLL?
The 3rd party should give you 3 things:  the .h file, the .lib file, and the
..dll file!

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
11/13/2008 2:22:26 PM
"David Ching" <dc@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote
> "Hans-J. Ude" <news@wolptec.de> wrote in message
>> Gert <dont@want.no.spam> schrieb:
>>
>>>That is Armadillo? It is easy enough, but you do need the CodeGen.lib
>>>file added to your project. The latest version of Armadillo doesn't
>>>include it, but you can send an email to siliconrealm support to request
>>>it.
>>
>> I don't want to link it with the project but I need a command line
>> based key generator to run on the server. I'm in contact with
>> siliconrealm about licensing questions. When I don't get it to work
>> I'll ask tech support. They seem to use VS too for their stuff.
>>

> You need to link with the import lib for the DLL (if the DLL is
> codegen.dll, then the import lib is codegen.lib.)  You can use the DUMPBIN
> program included with Visual studio with "/exports" to see the signatures
> of the exported functions of codegen.dll.  Make sure the function is
> declared that way.  But isn't there a codegen.h file they give you as well
> as the DLL? The 3rd party should give you 3 things:  the .h file, the .lib
> file, and the .dll file!

That's right, they should, but they don't. All I have is the DLL, the
function declaration is copied from the .chm help file, that's all. I've
used Dependency Walker to verify that the function is exported from the dll.

Hans

0
news25 (28)
11/13/2008 8:52:21 PM
> That's right, they should, but they don't. All I have is the DLL, the
> function declaration is copied from the .chm help file, that's all. I've
> used Dependency Walker to verify that the function is exported from the
> dll.

How does the function appear in Depends?  Perhaps there is name mangling
going on, or the function is Pascal (so there is no leading '_'), etc. that
you need to reflect in the header you made.

If this is a supported library, I highly recommend you ask them to provide
proper distributables.

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
11/13/2008 9:21:56 PM
"David Ching" <dc@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote
> "Hans-J. Ude" <news@wolptec.de> wrote in message
>> Gert <dont@want.no.spam> schrieb:
>>
>>>That is Armadillo? It is easy enough, but you do need the CodeGen.lib
>>>file added to your project. The latest version of Armadillo doesn't
>>>include it, but you can send an email to siliconrealm support to request
>>>it.
>>
>> I don't want to link it with the project but I need a command line
>> based key generator to run on the server. I'm in contact with
>> siliconrealm about licensing questions. When I don't get it to work
>> I'll ask tech support. They seem to use VS too for their stuff.
>>

> You need to link with the import lib for the DLL (if the DLL is
> codegen.dll, then the import lib is codegen.lib.)  You can use the DUMPBIN
> program included with Visual studio with "/exports" to see the signatures
> of the exported functions of codegen.dll.  Make sure the function is
> declared that way.  But isn't there a codegen.h file they give you as well
> as the DLL? The 3rd party should give you 3 things:  the .h file, the .lib
> file, and the .dll file!

I also tried the LoadLibrary/GetProcAddress approach but when I call the
function I get a popup window displaying:

Run-Time Check Failure #0 - The value of ESP was not properly saved across a
function call.  This is usually a result of calling a function declared with
one calling convention with a function pointer declared with a different
calling convention.

Hans

0
news25 (28)
11/13/2008 9:35:48 PM
"David Ching" <dc@remove-this.dcsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Hans-J. Ude" <news@wolptec.de> wrote in message
>> That's right, they should, but they don't. All I have is the DLL, the
>> function declaration is copied from the .chm help file, that's all. I've
>> used Dependency Walker to verify that the function is exported from the
>> dll.
>>

> How does the function appear in Depends?  Perhaps there is name mangling
> going on, or the function is Pascal (so there is no leading '_'), etc.
> that you need to reflect in the header you made.

It appears like that:

Export  Ordinal      Hint         Function                      Entry Point
------  -----------  -----------  ----------------------------  -----------
[C  ]   16 (0x0010)   4 (0x0004)  CreateCodeShort3              0x000020B0

I've been trying araoud with the '-'prefix, without success. The dll also
has anti debug protection. When I single step the exe it crashes in the
LoadLibrary call.
Thanks David, I'm gonna contact their tech support.

Hans

0
news25 (28)
11/13/2008 9:52:33 PM
> "David Ching" <dc@remove-this.dcsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> How does the function appear in Depends?  Perhaps there is name mangling
>> going on, or the function is Pascal (so there is no leading '_'), etc.
>> that you need to reflect in the header you made.
>
> It appears like that:
>
> Export  Ordinal      Hint         Function                      Entry
> Point
> ------  -----------  -----------  ----------------------------  -----------
> [C  ]   16 (0x0010)   4 (0x0004)  CreateCodeShort3              0x000020B0
>
> I've been trying araoud with the '-'prefix, without success. The dll also
> has anti debug protection. When I single step the exe it crashes in the
> LoadLibrary call.
> Thanks David, I'm gonna contact their tech support.

Yes, I'm sure they'd be glad to help on such a basic question!  It looks
though like you may just need to add WINAPI to your prototype function.
There is no '_' in the exported function above, and your other message about
the ESP not being preserved is classic for mismatched calling conventions.
Try adding WINAPI to the function prototype:

extern "C"
{
    const char* WINAPI CreateCodeShort3(int level, const char *name, const
char
    *encryption_template, unsigned long hardwareID, unsigned short
    otherinfo1, unsigned short otherinfo2, unsigned short otherinfo3,
    unsigned short otherinfo4, unsigned short otherinfo5);
}

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
11/13/2008 11:32:00 PM
Primarily thanks to David. It is now running. The cause was -as mentioned-
the wrong calling convention. Tech support sent me an example and everything
is alright now.

Hans

0
news25 (28)
11/14/2008 9:39:55 AM
"David Ching" <dc@remove-this.dcsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Try adding WINAPI to the function prototype:
>
> extern "C"
> {
>    const char* WINAPI CreateCodeShort3(int level, const char *name, const
> char

I think that WINAPI means __stdcall.

So, __stdcall causes name mangling (with leading underscore, @<bytes>, etc.)

  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zxk0tw93.aspx

Instead, the OP showed that the function is exported without leading
underscore and @ decoration.
So, I think that extern "C" + WINAPI would not work in that case.

Without having the .h and .lib files, I would just use GetProcAddress()
(trying with WINAPI calling convention, and if that fails corrupting the
stack, trying without WINAPI):

<code>

// Function to be imported from the DLL
typedef LPCSTR (WINAPI *PFNCREATECODESHORT3)(
    int /* level */,
    LPCSTR /* name */
    ...others parameters ...
);

// Load the DLL
HMODULE hDll = LoadLibrary(TEXT("<<your dll filename>>"));
if ( hDll == NULL )
{
     // Error
     // ...
}

// Load the exported function CreateCodeShort3 (without name mangling)
PFNCREATECODESHORT3 pfnCreateCodeShort3 = reinterpret_cast<
PFNCREATECODESHORT3 >(
     GetProcAddress( hDll, "CreateCodeShort3" ));

</code>

Giovanni

"Hans-J. Ude" <news@wolptec.de> ha scritto nel messaggio

> I also tried the LoadLibrary/GetProcAddress approach but when I call the
> function I get a popup window displaying:
>
> Run-Time Check Failure #0 - The value of ESP was not properly saved across
> a function call.  This is usually a result of calling a function declared
> with one calling convention with a function pointer declared with a
> different calling convention.

You must pay attention to calling convention (it may be WINAPI i.e.
__stdcall, or it may be __cdecl).

Be sure to specify the calling convention in the function prototype pointer
definition that you use to cast the return value of GetProcAddress().

e.g.

  typedef LPCSTR (WINAPI *PFNCREATECODESHORT3)( ... parameters ...)

See my other post in this thread for more detailed code for GetProcAddress
call.

Giovanni

"Giovanni Dicanio" <giovanniDOTdicanio@REMOVEMEgmail.com> wrote:

> You must pay attention to calling convention (it may be WINAPI i.e.
> __stdcall, or it may be __cdecl).
>
> Be sure to specify the calling convention in the function prototype
> pointer definition that you use to cast the return value of
> GetProcAddress().
>
> e.g.
>
>  typedef LPCSTR (WINAPI *PFNCREATECODESHORT3

Thanks Giovanni. As I'v been informed by their tech support, the calling
convention is

typedef const char *(*PFNCREATECODESHORT3) ( ... parameters ...)

Hans

0
news25 (28)
11/14/2008 10:34:24 AM
"Giovanni Dicanio" <giovanniDOTdicanio@REMOVEMEgmail.com> wrote in message

> I think that WINAPI means __stdcall.
>
> So, __stdcall causes name mangling (with leading underscore, @<bytes>,
> etc.)
>
>  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zxk0tw93.aspx
>
> Instead, the OP showed that the function is exported without leading
> underscore and @ decoration.
> So, I think that extern "C" + WINAPI would not work in that case.
>
> Without having the .h and .lib files, I would just use GetProcAddress()
> (trying with WINAPI calling convention, and if that fails corrupting the
> stack, trying without WINAPI):

Yes, I was confused.  I had thought WINAPI meant PASCAL (called function
cleans up stack, no leading underscore).  But WINAPI means __stdcall (called
function cleans up stack, added leading underscore).  I guess the desired
case is __stdcall with the leading underscore suppressed by using extern
"C".

Glad the OP got it working.

-- David

0
dc2983 (3206)
11/14/2008 3:45:39 PM

> Yes, I was confused.  I had thought WINAPI meant PASCAL (called function
> cleans up stack, no leading underscore).  But WINAPI means __stdcall
> (called function cleans up stack, added leading underscore).  I guess the
> desired case is __stdcall with the leading underscore suppressed by using
> extern "C".

I believe that extern "C" does not suppress the leading underscore and
@<byte> decoration when __stdcall is used.
This is the only case when you need the .def file to export functions
without name decoration, and this is why, without having the .h and .lib
file available, I suggested the OP a GetProcAddress call with the
undecorated function name.

However, it seems that the correct calling convention for the OP is the
default one, i.e. __cdecl.

> Glad the OP got it working.

Yes, and you were the first one to nail the problem to be a calling
convention one :)

Giovanni

Change link between form and subform

linking #4

Linked Forms

Is the file lph.dll a legit file by Ms for Office 2007?
I bought several MS Office Prof 2007 via ebay from different vendors - they came boxed with all the expected labels, security flags, holograms and imprints. When trying to install one, my Hips popped up alerting me to a file. Uploading this file lph.dll to virustotal shows that 7 out 41 AV consider the file a trojan/malware. I contacted MS support re the first file I received and was told that the license number was legit but did not get any answer re the lph.dll issue. Does anyone know what this file does, why some AV consider it malware (could be a FP) and in particular i...

Links not linking

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

Link To A Cell From Chart

links

Linked Tables Over A LAN

Links

email links in Publisher pdf

Chart template and links

Linking to ODBC Linked Tables

Linked Graphs from Excel
I have linked graphs from excel into my publisher document using Paste Special. The problem is that when they paste in they reshape (I have pie charts and they come in publisher looking like tall skinny ovals). I can fix the shape of the charts manually after pasting them in, but when I update the links the reshaping reverts to its original, incorrect size. Any suggestions on how I can use the linking to excel and not have to resize every time I update? "Paste Special" as what format? Have you tried an image format? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http...

visited links no longer change color
The links still work when clicked but, no longer show purple when visited. This happens in both Outlook and Outlook Express. Yesterday I tried making fonts a little larger as I have eyesight problem. Not sure if this is when the link color problem started. What I did exactly is: *Tools > Options > Mail Format > click "Fonts" button > click "International Fonts" button * At first I went through the list making each one "Larger" font size. * I realized that it's probably only "Western European" I need to change, so all others were set ...

how to load manifest from dll, not main application
hi, my application is part of a dll so unfortunately I can't add the code to use manifest from resource file into the main application. As a test I got manifest to work as a resource in a main test.exe application however has not worked so far when used from within a dll. any advice? Thanks! e.g. in .rc file, CREATEPROCESS_MANIFEST_RESOURCE_ID RT_MANIFEST "the.manifest" works only when embedded in exe file (to which I will not have access), does not work strictly from within hosted dll. ...

CSocket derived class residing in a DLL
hi! i am using a kind of comunications DLL including a CSocket derived own class. CMySocket used as a client CSocket::Create() is called in the constructor. CMySocket used in a normal app everything works fine but when i use CMySocket in an other DLL (as client) i get an assertion when the object is getting destroyed (VERIFY( AsyncSelect(0) ) within CSocket::Close() ) i tried to simplify things and was able to figure out that it also happens when i use the standard CSocket class and calling CSocket::Create(). are there any restrictions using CSocket in DLLs? thanks, philipp fixed - wa...

linking subforms
my application have customers and invoices. each customer can have 1 or more invoices. on my form i have a subform for customers and one subform for invoices. both subforms are in datasheet view. if i click on customer A in the customer subform i want the invoice subform to show only invoices for customer A and at the same time allow me to add invoices for customer A. what are the steps to accomplish this? also i want to be able to print a report such that customer A is listed together with all customer A's invoices followed by customer B and so on. how can this be accomplished? thanks ...

How do i Change links to Relative links for linking pdf files?
Using Publisher, how do i change a link from absolute to relative.. I ahave created an offline website as a demo CD to hand out to clients, but the linked PDF's will only work when the CD drive of the computer is D:, how can i make the link read from the CD no matter whats the drive directory is called?? Please help When you are in the hyperlink dialog do not browse to the file to set the link. Use the address option and enter the path you want. David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] http://www.publishermvps.com http://www.davidbartosik.com "Riggaz" <Riggaz@discussions.microso...

Sharepoint Linked Table
Hi! I just inherited an Access 2003 database which has a linked table to Sharepoint (dbo_...) without any problem. When you view the actual table from Sharepoint it only has 5 fields, but in Access 2003 have 12 fields. It gets updated without any issue. We are in the process of converting to Access 2007 and the linked table is different from Access 2003. Most of the columns are dropped. Would anyone know how I can keep the same exact column layout (# of columns) as in 2003? This is necessary, because in the code, the linked table updates the local table. Also, we must leave as is, beca...

I have a problem with a CPropertyPage derived object which is located in a DLL. It doesn't do a whole lot yet, just displaying some controls. The DLL skeleton has been created by VS 2005. I'm exporting a global function. #define DLLEXPORT __declspec(dllexport) DLLEXPORT CPropertyPage* GetPropertyPage() { return theApp.m_pPage; } As you can see the function returns a pointer to CPropertyPage, which is a member of the DLL's theApp class. it get instaciated in BOOL CccaHTMLApp::InitInstance() { m_pPage = new CHtmlPropPage; CWinApp::InitInstance(); return TRUE; } After having l...

Help with links in one worksheet please
Hi I have made up a worksheet that will work out all my takings & expenses for the week. I have then made a totals sheet which I would like to add up all the Weekly totals for the year. I have done all the links from the Weekly sheet to the totals sheet and they all work fine. As I will have 52 weeks how do I copy the links I have made for week one (with the relevant changes for that weekly sheet) in the totals sheet? I hope you can understand this Any web sites that may help? Thanks for looking Derek One way is to make a list of your sheet names in col A and use or a modifi...

A Linking Problem
Assume I have a column of numbers, in a file named Source. (range is B2:B10). These cells are linked to a column in a file named Destination(range is E2:E10). If I add a new row 5 to the source, is there a way I can get the previously linked cells in Destination to continue to display the correct values. After adding the new row 5 in source, rows in Destination below row 5 display values from rows below (in the Source file). I hope this is not too confusing a question (I am confused). If it of importance, the linking was done using Paste Link in the Paste Special dialog. Thanks. Hi PA Yo...

Linking
Hi all, i have a basic doubt regarding Static Linking and Dynamic Linking. if i have a dll used in a VC application by adding the dll header and making reference to the dll in the libraries, is it can be called as static linking? if i have a vc application which uses a dll by loading it using LoadLibrary API, is this only can be called as Dynamic linking? is Load-Time Dynamic Linking i.e., using API LoadLibrary is only Dynamic linking or even Runtime Dynamic Linking ( adding the header into the project and making a reference to the dll in the libraries property ) is also a kind of Dyn...

In Visio how can I link a shape to a word file
I am creating a flowchart and would like to know if I can use the Shapes as buttons and get them to link to a word file stored on a drive? On Tue, 31 May 2005 05:57:21 -0700, BB1066 <BB1066@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am creating a flowchart and would like to know if I can use the Shapes as >buttons and get them to link to a word file stored on a drive? Select the shape then from the 'Insert' menu select 'Hyperlinks'. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.pherber.com/ SanDriLa - SDL/MSC/TTCN/UML2 application for Visio http...