javascript generated html

Suppose I download a html file with javascript in it, for example,

 <script language="JavaScript">
 document.write("Hello");
 </script>

 How can I translate that to pure html,

 Hello

I am looking for a c++ solution.

Thanks,

qk
0
quikquic (12)
9/18/2003 11:30:30 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

quikquic@yahoo.com (quikquic@yahoo.com) writes:

> Suppose I download a html file with javascript in it, for example,
>  <script language="JavaScript">
>  document.write("Hello");
>  </script>
>  How can I translate that to pure html,
>  Hello

In this, simple, case it is fairly easy. Remove the script tags and
change calls to document.write into its value. But that only works when
all the script element contains are calls to document.write.

If the Javascript is more complicated, you will have to execute it to
know what it does. The simplest solution would be to load a browser
and put the page into it, and then extract the generated HTML.
Otherwise, you will need an implementation of Javscript and a runtime
environment similar ot that provided by a browser in order to execute
the code correctly.

If you are aiming for the Windows platform, You can probably remotely
control IE, or make an instance of the HTML rendering widget, and put
the code into it. When (or if) it finishes parsing the page, including
the embedded Javascript, you can use
document.documentElement.innerHTML to get the contents of the
resulting page's html element.

If you are using this for anything critical, and the user supplies the
page, then they can make pages where the Javascript never finishes
executing. A simple "while(true){}" can do it, but you can check in
advance whether a script will loop forever or not, it can always be
disguised to fool your check. You will have to time-out the browser
if it runs for too long.

You will also be open to any security bugs in IE.
<URL:http://www.pivx.com/larholm/unpatched/>

/L
--
Lasse Reichstein Nielsen  -  lrn@hotpop.com
lrn (1)

On 18 Sep 2003 16:30:30 -0700, quikquic@yahoo.com (quikquic@yahoo.com) wrote:

>Suppose I download a html file with javascript in it, for example,

> <script language="JavaScript">
> document.write("Hello");
> </script>
>
> How can I translate that to pure html,

> Hello
>
>I am looking for a c++ solution.
>
>Thanks,
>
>qk

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
9/19/2003 3:00:20 PM
I do not understand what you mean.

All I want is to get the final pure html, some of them may be
generated by the javascript in the original file.

qk

Joseph M. Newcomer <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message news:<d76mmvkj22solcmb2qbthjkbnisgu98pu3@4ax.com>...
> Actually, if you download an html file with javascript in it, you are doing the equivalent
> of leaving your house key under the mat. Your machine is vulnerable to attack by rogue
> javascript. I get a couple dozen emails a day whose purpose is to attack unsecured
> machines.
> 				joe
>
> On 18 Sep 2003 16:30:30 -0700, quikquic@yahoo.com (quikquic@yahoo.com) wrote:
>
> >Suppose I download a html file with javascript in it, for example,

> > <script language="JavaScript">
> > document.write("Hello");
> > </script>
> >
> > How can I translate that to pure html,

> > Hello
> >
> >I am looking for a c++ solution.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >qk
>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com
quikquic (12)
9/19/2003 10:07:55 PM
In article <ead1f717.0309181530.13f2d2da@posting.google.com>,
quikquic@yahoo.com says...
> Suppose I download a html file with javascript in it, for example,

>  <script language="JavaScript">
>  document.write("Hello");
>  </script>
>
>  How can I translate that to pure html,

In any more than a trivial case like this, you can't -- the primary
reason people use Javascript in the first place is to do things that are
impossible or thoroughly unreasonable using HTML.

--
    Later,
    Jerry.

jcoffin (62)
9/20/2003 4:56:08 AM
quikquic@yahoo.com wrote:

> Suppose I download a html file with javascript in it, for example,

>  <script language="JavaScript">
>  document.write("Hello");
>  </script>
>
>  How can I translate that to pure html,

>  Hello
>
> I am looking for a c++ solution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> qk

IMO, your question with your specific example is easy to answer: just
remove the script tags. But the answer to the general question is it is
  impossible as there are many many ways (DOM methods, even DOM
attributes) to dynamically add (and/or insert and/or append, modify,
move, split, etc.. even import) new elements (and/or new text node
values) into an html file. Adding new DOM nodes with display:none or
visibility:hidden or opacity to 0 or etc... (dynamically settable later)
would still have to be considered as cases to consider.

Your question is a very valid one though as W3C thinks people are
resorting to (and/or over-using, mis-using, abusing) DHTML/javascript
way too often when simple, normal HTML would suffice.

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs:

drunclear (1)
9/20/2003 5:30:23 AM
quikquic@yahoo.com (quikquic@yahoo.com) wrote in message news:<ead1f717.0309181530.13f2d2da@posting.google.com>...
> Suppose I download a html file with javascript in it, for example,

>  <script language="JavaScript">
>  document.write("Hello");
>  </script>
>
>  How can I translate that to pure html,
> I am looking for a c++ solution.
> Thanks,
> qk
You need a very clever script that interprets the javascript, because
it has to know in advance what is going to be asked of the javascript.
Onclicks, onchanges and all other events will have to be assumed. In
other words, I don't think it 's really possible.

Why was it written in javascript in the first place??

If you know that the javascript doesn't change much, but it is still
too much work to convert all your pages by hand, perhaps you could run
them as they are, and even add a little javascript that submits the
generated source back to the server once it has finished generating,
where you can replace the page with the received html code.
HTH
Ivo
0
sandick (1)
9/20/2003 2:35:16 PM
How does the browser understand javascript? Does the browser transfer
it into html (if it is something like document.write) first?

Thanks,

sandick@mail.com (Ivo) wrote in message news:<8092d41d.0309200635.319ec829@posting.google.com>...
> quikquic@yahoo.com (quikquic@yahoo.com) wrote in message news:<ead1f717.0309181530.13f2d2da@posting.google.com>...
> > Suppose I download a html file with javascript in it, for example,

> >  <script language="JavaScript">
> >  document.write("Hello");
> >  </script>
> >
> >  How can I translate that to pure html,
> > I am looking for a c++ solution.
> > Thanks,
> > qk
> You need a very clever script that interprets the javascript, because
> it has to know in advance what is going to be asked of the javascript.
> Onclicks, onchanges and all other events will have to be assumed. In
> other words, I don't think it 's really possible.
>
> Why was it written in javascript in the first place??
>
> If you know that the javascript doesn't change much, but it is still
> too much work to convert all your pages by hand, perhaps you could run
> them as they are, and even add a little javascript that submits the
> generated source back to the server once it has finished generating,
> where you can replace the page with the received html code.
> HTH
> Ivo
0
quikquic (12)
9/20/2003 11:35:47 PM
In article <ead1f717.0309201535.7948eaed@posting.google.com>,
quikquic@yahoo.com says...
> How does the browser understand javascript? Does the browser transfer
> it into html (if it is something like document.write) first?

No -- the browser has a Javascript interpreter (or invokes a separate
one) that understands Javascript.  HTML has only the VERY most limited
involvement -- one of the two (usually the browser, I'd guess) has to
recognize the bit of HTML that marks the end of the Javascript, so
things switch back to normal HTML mode at the end.  What the Javascript
produces does NOT (in any case of which I'm aware at any rate) get
converted to HTML to be displayed or anything like that though.

--
    Later,
    Jerry.

jcoffin (62)
9/21/2003 1:15:12 AM
JRS:  In article <MPG.19d6aa12992193b2989b01@news.clspco.adelphia.net>,
seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Jerry Coffin <jcoffin@taeus.com>
posted at Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:15:12 :-
>In article <ead1f717.0309201535.7948eaed@posting.google.com>,
>quikquic@yahoo.com says...
>> How does the browser understand javascript? Does the browser transfer
>> it into html (if it is something like document.write) first?
>
>No -- the browser has a Javascript interpreter (or invokes a separate
>one) that understands Javascript.  HTML has only the VERY most limited
>involvement -- one of the two (usually the browser, I'd guess) has to
>recognize the bit of HTML that marks the end of the Javascript, so
>things switch back to normal HTML mode at the end.  What the Javascript
>produces does NOT (in any case of which I'm aware at any rate) get
>converted to HTML to be displayed or anything like that though.

That which is written by document.write, and that which is written by
DynWrite (FAQ 4.15), is treated as HTML.  For example, <br> does not
make four marks on the page, but causes the insertion point to move to a
new line.

--
 � John Stockton, Surrey, UK.  ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk   Turnpike v4.00   IE 4 �
 <URL:http://jibbering.com/faq/>  Jim Ley's FAQ for news:comp.lang.javascript

Thanks,

qk

Dr John Stockton <spam@merlyn.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<xZVgK3CQsgb$Ewbm@merlyn.demon.co.uk>...
> JRS:  In article <MPG.19d6aa12992193b2989b01@news.clspco.adelphia.net>,
> seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Jerry Coffin <jcoffin@taeus.com>
> posted at Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:15:12 :-
> >In article <ead1f717.0309201535.7948eaed@posting.google.com>,
> >quikquic@yahoo.com says...
> >> How does the browser understand javascript? Does the browser transfer
> >> it into html (if it is something like document.write) first?
> >
> >No -- the browser has a Javascript interpreter (or invokes a separate
> >one) that understands Javascript.  HTML has only the VERY most limited
> >involvement -- one of the two (usually the browser, I'd guess) has to
> >recognize the bit of HTML that marks the end of the Javascript, so
> >things switch back to normal HTML mode at the end.  What the Javascript
> >produces does NOT (in any case of which I'm aware at any rate) get
> >converted to HTML to be displayed or anything like that though.
>
> That which is written by document.write, and that which is written by
> DynWrite (FAQ 4.15), is treated as HTML.  For example, <br> does not
> make four marks on the page, but causes the insertion point to move to a
> new line.
0
quikquic (12)
9/23/2003 8:14:43 PM
Part of the problem is that JavaScript does a whole lot more than just generate HTML. In
fact, as far as I have been able to tell, most of what it is used for has nothing at all
to do with generating HTML, and therein lies its numerous security holes. I have had
Webmasters tell me "JavaScript is perfectly safe. Why, there are hundreds of Web sites
explaining that this is so". Yes, but I only need ONE counterexample. A quick survey of
the Symantec Antivirus sites reveals a whole lot more than one counterexample. And I won't
reveal what I know about how to use it in destructive ways, unless you are a serious
security person taking my security course (such as a DoD security team member). So
figuring out what JavaScript is really generating is fairly difficult in general.
						joe

On 19 Sep 2003 15:07:55 -0700, quikquic@yahoo.com (quikquic@yahoo.com) wrote:

>I do not understand what you mean.
>
>All I want is to get the final pure html, some of them may be
>generated by the javascript in the original file.
>
>qk
>
>Joseph M. Newcomer <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message news:<d76mmvkj22solcmb2qbthjkbnisgu98pu3@4ax.com>...
>> Actually, if you download an html file with javascript in it, you are doing the equivalent
>> of leaving your house key under the mat. Your machine is vulnerable to attack by rogue
>> javascript. I get a couple dozen emails a day whose purpose is to attack unsecured
>> machines.
>> 				joe
>>
>> On 18 Sep 2003 16:30:30 -0700, quikquic@yahoo.com (quikquic@yahoo.com) wrote:
>>
>> >Suppose I download a html file with javascript in it, for example,

>> > <script language="JavaScript">
>> > document.write("Hello");
>> > </script>
>> >
>> > How can I translate that to pure html,

>> > Hello
>> >
>> >I am looking for a c++ solution.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >
>> >qk
>>
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)

Problem with saving form as html
I am trying to generate a html directory with clickable email addresses out of my HR database. I created a from with the text field: ="<a href=""mailto:" & [UseEmail] & """>" & [UseEmail] & "</a>" and save this form as a html file. When loading the html it shows: <a href="mailto:aman0038@umn.edu">aman0038@umn.edu</a> instead of a clickable mail address. The generated source code is: <a href="mailto:aman0038@umn.edu">aman0038@umn.edu</a> How can I prevent...

How to generate a cell reference from multiple cells
For example, to acquire the cell reference 'c5' the C is generated by a formula in one cell, and the 5 is generated in a different cell Try this... A1 = C B1 = 5 =INDIRECT(A1&B1) Which evaluates to =$C$5 -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Malters" <Malters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8BDB88A-7371-4C02-8973-B7E8F3E5E50D@microsoft.com... > For example, to acquire the cell reference 'c5' the C is generated by a > formula in one cell, and the 5 is generated in a different cell ...

opening outlook with mailto from javascript (in html mode)
I like the abilith to use href=mailto:xxx@xxx.com?body=This is in the body The problem is that I can not get the default e-mail tool (Outlook) to open up in html format. It seems to only support plain text. If I do not add the body part of the href, then it opens in the default format which for me is html. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Jim As I understand it, this is a limitation of the way Windows passes the mailto: command to the default email program. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Dev...

Block Streamed Images in HTML Mail
There is an option in Outlook 2003 mail to not download embedded pictures in HTML-formatted e-mail. One can make exceptions, such as if the mail is from someone in your address book, etc. In much Spam, however, the images are not embedded in the e-mail, but are streamed to the mail from a web site. Is there any way to block that? To not allow any streamed content in e-mail? (There could be the same possible exceptions for mail from people you know, etc.) I hope that's possible. The option in Outlook 2003 is not for embedded images. It is for "streamed" (web-based) images a...

OAL Generator error 9325
I have ~105 names that are not being replicated to the GAL. For each, I am getting the following error on my mail server: ============================================== Error Source: MSExchangeSA Category: OAL Generator Event: 9325 OALGen will skip user entry 'Last, First' in address list '\Global Address List' because the SMTP address '' is invalid. - Default Offline Address List =============================================== I do not see any problems in looking at the mail and proxyAddresses attributes on any of these accounts. Is there something else I ca...

Using html newsletter
Hi.. Do somebody know if there is a guide how to use publisher as a html newsletter creator?.. ...

Graphics in HTML Email
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C3EA75.0A902D40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm not sure how this works technically. However, I know that if you = insert graphics into an HTML email in Outlook, Outlook keeps a copy of = the graphic to be referenced as a separate part of the message. The = problem I am running into is that this happens even when the graphic is = referenced as a link to a file on a server (as opposed to being pasted = into the document). So, for example, if...

XMLSerializer for javascript
Hello, Can XMLSerializer be called from javascript ? How can I use XMLSerializer on the client side, and on the server side ? I need an example, please. Thanks :) Mr. x wrote: > Can XMLSerializer be called from javascript ? Not in javascript, but in JScript.NET. > How can I use XMLSerializer on the client side, and on the server side ? XmlSerializer (if you're talking about System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer class of .NET) requires .NET environment. On server side it's usually ASP.NET, on client side - Windows forms or Web Forms. -- Oleg Tkachenko http://www.tkachen...

HTML code not correct?
Hi..I have a conceren..here it is: The problem is in the type of code that Publisher 2003 is writing. Many people don't realize that web pages aren't always written in HTML. Many times other technologies such as XML and CSS are used, but unfortunately the progam I nee dto oad this to will only accept, specifically, HTML. What's happening is that Publisher is writing your page in XML. Does this make any sense? I have been told to check Publisher's options, and see if there's an option to have it write "strict" or "transitional" HTML (only). Please hel...

Noob error: IE and JavaScript?
I'm a complete noob at web pages, HTML, and JavaScript. I put JavaScript code in the web page I'm trying to build, saved it, and opened in IE to see it run. I also put in a <NOSCRIPT> message. When the page opened, I had the <NOSCRIPT> message displayed and a bar across the top saying IE had blocked active content. I selected "Let blocked content run". The <NOSCRIPT> messge went away, but the JS still wouldn't run. I went through my IE settings (XP Pro, IE 7): everything with Java is enabled. What am I missing? Ed IE thinks you're...

Generating docs from UML diagram
I've Googled this question with no success but maybe I don't know the correct keywords... I'm using Visio 2002 to create a UML diagram to design some software. The diagram has classes, which have properties and methods. For each class and its properties and methods (and for the methods' parameters) I filled in a description in the "Documentation" field, under Properties. Now what I'd like is some sort of report of the text I filled entered. I'd like to use this to help me write the code. Is it possible to generate such documentation from the diagram? (I&...

Something that should be easy, with javascript
I need to make the tax field automated. Basically I want to have some javascript read the total cost from its textbox take the value get what would be 10% of the value and have the javascript automatically put that value in the tax textbox. Now I've read the other posts and on similar requests saying this is not supported but Microsoft can't really rationally expect us to have to enter the tax manually everytime we create a quote or order. This is absurd, tax doesn't change, so why do we have to remember to work it out everytime. Its likely that our staff will forgot and...

Generate list
I have a spreasheet with over 25000 records, in one of the columns I have the salesperson's name. There are over 60 different names in that column. Is there a way (apart from creating a pivot table) that excel can generate a list of the names contained in that column? Basically what I'm asking is if it's possible to convert the "autofilter" content into a list... Hi R4ym0nd Use Advanced filter http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#FilterUR -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "R4ym0nd" <R4ym0nd@discussions.microsoft....

Dictionary Assembly Generator (DAG) Errors
Hi all, I added a field in the SOP Entry window using the Modifier.Now I want to access it via the VS Tools. According to documentation, I have to create an Application Assembly using the DAG tool. But I am having trouble with the Dictionary Assembly Generator. I am in a dos window, in the SDK folder and issuing this command : dag.exe 0 "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics\GP$GP10\Dynamics.set" /F This command returns the following error : "Error: Cannot find Application.MicrosoftDynamicsGp.dll. Generate Application.MicrosoftDynamicsGp.dll before generating Application....

Convert excel table to HTML
Hello, Saving an excel file as html yield an html page with a lot of useless tags. I had component called Microsoft Office HTML Filter 2.0 with Win2000 but it does not install with XP. Can somebody help please ? Thankz Not sure but check out The Remove Hidden Data tool for Office 2003 and Office XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834427/ There were at least 15 errors noted on Woody's Watch (now Office Watch) see my xl2html.htm page. Since you don't want the extra tags anyway, you may be used to doing your own HTML coding and would rather do your own conversions under your c...

Average of Generated Data Results
Hello, I have a complicated model that spits out its results into one cell "Total Profit". Parts of the model use the RAND() function so if you hit f9 the result will change. Trying to logically think thru this, I have to hit f9 300 times, record each result (300 rows of record), and then average those 300 results. There has to be some way to automate this?? (There will end up being 300 rows of data that will change each time I hit f9, so this ending average will prove that the model is reliable...) Try this set-up (using a 1 variable data table): Set calculation mode to "...

Need to convert an HTML file to a valid XTML file
I just found out I can edit my HTMLHelp in VS2005 I like it better that editing in the HTML Help Workshop This is an old help file, actually generated when Win help was in vogue. VS identifies many things that should be changed - line HTML not being lower case. Much of it is cosmetic - a program could fix most of it. Is there such a program. That is, one that will read an HTML file and produce a valid XTML file? Thanks in advance Frank wrote: > I just found out I can edit my HTMLHelp in VS2005 > > I like it better that editing in the HTML Help Workshop > > This i...

Outlook 2000 generating errors
As soon as I click on Find/Advanced Find in inbox of Outlook 2000 I get the message "OUTLOOK.exe has generated errors and will be shut down by windows". The same thing happens when I select "find all related messages" for an individual email. I'm running win2000 and have installed all available updates for Office 2000. Present Outlook version is SP-3. The Office software was pre-installed by Dell. I've been really frustrated by this for some time. Any ideas out there? ...

PrintPreview in html
I have an MFC application. I want that the 'print' feature (and the 'print preview' of course) will devid the printer page into two sections (frames) : the first (upper) is a 'DC' frame (where I can print whatever I want with the DC). The second frame (the lower one) is an html view (I want to write code in HTML and print it under the DC frame). Is it possible under VC6.0? or maybe 7.0? Regards, Ram. It might be sort of advertisement but... HtmLayout (http://htmlayout.com) Has additional printing interface: class html_print { html_print() ; ~html_print(); bo...

hyperlinks to specific link don't work when published to html
I have a table of contents in excel where each line hyperlinks to a specific sheet in another workbook. When I publish it ( i.e.convert to html ) pressing the hyperlinks always gets me to the same sheet. How can I get it to go to the correct sheet even after I publish it ? (experts-exchange seems to have an answer but i can't afford the membership) I've been publishing by saving in the mhtml format. Thanks- Joe ...

MO Generation for QTY Shortage
Hi, I would like to know if it is possible to auto generate MOs for sub assembled item shortage.When a MO is generated for a Product and if the sub assembled component of that product is in short qty.is there any way for the system to generate auto MOs for the required Qty .Will it also give the total time duration for the complete process includingg the full product manufacturing time... Thanks in Advance.. No. Sorry, but the auto generation of MO's from Sales Transaction Entry ONLY creates MO's for the item being purchased/sold. Any other shortages such as purchased comp...

javascript
hi i have sub entity i.e., related entity called loan Details in case.In case form i have an iframe i want to show the loan details scrren in the iframe is it possible..how to write the code for it http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=JS14 gives you an overview how to implement it. -- Michael H�hne, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP CRM Blog on http://www.stunnware.com ---------------------------------------------------------- "harika" <harika@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:AE749CF3-02F3-48AE-849F-89BDBDB79CBF@microsoft.com... > hi i have s...

Wanted
I have trouble with users occasionally cutting, moving or deleting cells that are referenced by formulas, so I get #REF! errors that I then have to clean up. Ken Wright suggested I replace direct references to the editable data cells in the formulas (e.g. A1) with INDIRECT references using a text string (e.g. INDIRECT("A1"). Sounds like a great idea, BUT don't know if it's achievable, because there are many formulas and many cells, and, since I HAVE to use a text string for this method to work, I can't see a way to change the formula in one place, then copy and p...

Outlook.exe generating errors
Can anyone help me. Whilst in email, if I click on the Outlook Shortcuts button and then click on My Documents and attempt to open a document within My Documents, I get the error message "Outlook.exe has generated erros and will be shutdown". Originally this used to come up with a Dr Watson log file error which I have managed to clear, but this other one has flumoxed me. Many thanks Ann ...

how can i make automated generated email account in my exchange
hi , I hope all of u r fine by the grace of GOD , i want to know that how can i make autogenrated email account in my exchange , i am using exchange server 2003(sp1) with server 2003(sp1) , i want to make the account by the name of "jobs" which reply automaticaly to the appliers . thanks in advance , with regards ali. GFI Mail Essentials will do that. -- Randy Hollaway Pittsburgh, PA http://www.PGHYinzer.com "mohammad ali" <mohammadali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1E59AC6B-7FFE-4902-A890-27FDB7EFBD92@microsoft.com... > hi , > &g...