Is there a solution for writefile fails in vista

I was trying to write from starting sector of the harddisk through writefile
function, In vista WriteFile() function fails(Access denied) due to security
methods in vista and server 2008. Is there a solution for this ???
0
StudioX (1)
11/12/2008 10:13:00 AM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

There are better Vista programmers here than me, but I think you either need
to:

Elevate your program to a status that allows this function
Have your user run as an administrator account to do this kind of advanced
functionality
Disable UAC

Some things to try anyway.

Tom

"StudioX" <StudioX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was trying to write from starting sector of the harddisk through
>writefile
> function, In vista WriteFile() function fails(Access denied) due to
> security
> methods in vista and server 2008. Is there a solution for this ???

0
tom.nospam (3240)
11/12/2008 4:54:03 PM
There is a tiny bit of me that thinks that if you have to ask how to do
something so dangerous, perhaps we are better off if you don't.

"StudioX" <StudioX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was trying to write from starting sector of the harddisk through
>writefile
> function, In vista WriteFile() function fails(Access denied) due to
> security
> methods in vista and server 2008. Is there a solution for this ???

0
Bill9095 (17)

"Operation Failed"
E-mail. In Outlook 2002, I click on "send/receive" to ask the server to send me my e-mail that it is holding. Immediately, I get a small window that says "Operation Failed". That's it! Nothing more. I can't get past that window. Help please! ...

Which files and folders from the two solutions must be merged to combine web sites solutions
If I understand what I'm reading on the Internet the only way to combine two website solutions and store them in one folder on a host is to make them into one website solution. And there are certain files and folders in a solution that have predetermined names and there can only be one of them. And that means combining some files from two folders into one folder (like the App_Code files) and combining some data from two files into one file (like web.config) It would be great if I knew which files there can only be one of, as well as which folders there can only be one of....

update failed (KB976321)
For cupdate close to two weeks I have been trying to apply the update KB976321. I have tried the suggestions list in the dscussion room. I have went back to see if it was already installed and it wasn't. What can I do? I stumbled on the solution by mistake. My mistake was that I did not shut down by using the shut down button with the update symbol on it. After re-booting using the button resolved my problem. thanks to Jade-Toest. "dragonrunner" wrote: > For cupdate close to two weeks I have been trying to apply > the update KB976321. I have tried the s...

Final solution to MAPI Error Message
-- JOHN HASKINS After experiencing the error generated message for all mapi problems trying to use the send email functions in Office 2007, including Word 2007, I now have solved the mystery. It was incredible all the postings I have read, dating back to 2005 about this problem. To make a long story short, follow this Microsoft link. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN=US;918792 If the typed in link is not highlighted, just copy and paste to your browser. The main Topics of this article [ Article ID: 918792 - Dec 15, 2009- revision 4 ] is to 1. verify your...

Supporting two executables in a solution
I use VS2008 and I need a solution that contains 2 executables (two different processes) of which one should launch the other. 1. Does C# support such launching(with some paramters) an how? 2. Does VS2008 suport that-should I simply add the other excutables as I would do with ordinary dll? Thanks in advance Morris hi Morris, On 06.02.2010 16:06, Morris wrote: > I use VS2008 and I need a solution that contains 2 executables (two > different processes) of which one should launch the other. > 1. Does C# support such launching(with some paramters) an how? http://msdn...

talent management solution/Compenation Management Solution
Hello, My company is looking for a Talent Management Solution/Compensation Management Solution. If anyone has any experience with any products, please post. Thank you Jack ...

when re-running installer to install omitted program (Entourage) does complete re-install, then fails
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Hi Everyone. I installed Word and PowerPoint a few weeks ago, and I want to now install Entourage. So I re-ran the installer ("/Volumes/Microsoft Office 2008/Office Installer.mpkg"). It didn't give me any options for selecting Entourage. Instead it just kicked off an installed *everything*, including Word and PowerPoint. Crap. This is very upsetting as I DON'T want messenger, excel, etc. Adding insult to injury, the program asked if I wanted to install the update ("Install Microsoft Office 2008 fo...

Restoring mailbox store fails
I've just installed a Windows Small Business Server which comes with Exchange 2003 Standard. The problem is that I can't restore mailboxes. What am I doing wrong? Here is how I try to do it: - Backup using ntbackup utility in advanced mode MS Exchange server\First Storage Group - Create Recovery Storage Goup and then Connect Database - Mailbox Store. After this I have First Storage Group with Mailbox Store mounted and Recovery Storage Group with Mailbox Store unmounted. Folloing step is restore Mailbox Store from backup. I run ntbackup and in Select what to restore mark First ...

WriteFile access error on UMDF USB driver
I am creating a driver based on the UMDF FX2_driver sample. My device differs in that it has one input and one output interrupt endpoint. Also am providing a symbolic name. I have a test application I would like to use with this driver/device that uses WriteFile to send data to the driver. I am able to verify thru tracing and a line trace that the data from the WriteFile is being received by the driver and passed on to the usb device. However, the WriteFile fails with a GetLastError() of 1117 (ERROR_IO_DEVICE). Need to determine why I am getting this error. ricobandito &l...

RE: Debug Buidl works but Release fails VC2005
Helo I have bilt my VC2005 app and in debug buidl it works, when I make release build and try to do debug ( f5) it works fine, but not when do ctrl f5. It is same with try to execute exe file in release folder. I get popup error message as below: "an invalid argument was encountered" I dont understand why work with f5, but not when use exe in relese folder or ctrl f5. Sorry if ask silly question, but am new and try to learn form advise. Please if give me advice I very grateful to you. Tatiana > I have bilt my VC2005 app and in debug buidl it works, when I make > release...

SSMS Solutions
is there a way to set the solution to remain collapsed when it opens. I have some solutions that have many projects. I've tried saving everything with everything collapsed. When I re-open it, everything is expanded. Manually collapsing everything each time seems crazy. Is there a way to combat this? thanks in advance, ...bob Hi Bob Have you tried using the visual studio shortcut: Collapse all tree nodes NUM + - Collapses all nodes in the current tree view. Expand all tree nodes NUM + * Expands all nodes in the current tree view. http://msdn.micro...

Sending email to queue user from LAN fails
Is it normal that email sent to a queue user from an external recipient works fine but email sent from a local user on the domain fails to arrive? Is this by design? Unfortunately, this is by MS design. How we have worked around it is by creating what we call "Redirects" where the email address is crmusername@crm.domain.com versus crmusername@domain.com and the messages are redirected. Hope this helps. =LmS= (first time poster, long time reader) "madrigal" wrote: > Is it normal that email sent to a queue user from an external recipient > works fine but ...

Windows Vista/Windows XP Application Load Failure
Hello, I seem to be having an issue with Visual Studio 2005 Professional on Windows Vista Ultimate. It seems to me that whenever I build an MFC application (which contains several DLLs and an exe), the application runs beautifully on Windows Vista (e.g. my development machine). However, when I attempt to run it on Windows XP I essentially get a failure to load DLL/Merge Module issue. Upon inspection of the event viewer on XP I see the following error as being logged: Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT could not be found and Last Error was The reference assembly is not installed o...

Office98 fails to load -- unexpected error
Hi, I am trying to help someone who is using Office98 on a MacOS 8.6 machine. He just installed the OS and Office clean, but when he tries to start office, he gets the message: "The Application 'Microsoft Word' could not be opened because an unexpected error occurred." Has anyone seen this before and can you suggest any potential solutions? I'm going to continue researching this. If you have a reply, please reply via e-mail as well. Just take the spamfree part out of my e-mail address. Thanks, Chris See this article on the Word MVP FAQ Site: <http:/...

IE8 connection issues needs a more permanent solution
I was going to ask a question about connection problems with IE8 but it seems a lot of other people have beaten me to it. Unlike most people, I am on dialup so I thought it was having issues because of that although I did not have the same problems with IE7. Now I see that connection type has nothing to do with it. Like everyone else, I am experiencing intermitent problems. Often reloading the page solves the problem. The diagnostics produces no helpful results. And so on. I have read the helpful advice being offered but I have a problem with that. Seems it is up to us to make a...

solutions
Get the solutions manuals you need at affordable cost. Contact us at samedwards247(at)gmail(dot)com Elementary Differential Equations Bound (2nd Ed.,Werner E. Kohler, Johnson) Precalculus: Graphical, Numerical, Algebraic (7th Ed., Franklin Demana, Bert K. Waits, Gregory D. Foley & Daniel Kennedy) University Physics with Modern Physics with Mastering PhysicS, 12/E, Hugh D. Young, Roger A. Freedman Introduction to Electrodynamics (3rd Ed., David J. Griffiths) Introduction to Quantum Mechanics (2nd Ed., David J. Griffiths) Quantum Mechanics: An Accessible Introduction (Robert Scherrer) Ele...

Close Worksheet and Making Worksheet Invisible
Hi, I use this (pardon the variable names...) infile = "C:\Temp\Garb-Tests\Test1\solTrip.xlsx" insheet = "Trip" '--------------------------------------------------------------------- Set o = Workbooks.Open(infile).Worksheets(insheet) .... Reading data from this works. However, this causes the sheet to open, but I don't want that so I do: o.Visible = false When I do this, ths sheet still opens but it opens without any data! Also, when I try to close this workbook using: o.Close (false, false) I get a runtime error 438 - Object does not support...

Problem with creating user-only Start menu shortcuts in Vista
I have a problem which shows only on Windows Vista (Business Edition). I try to create programmatically (by using a well described method involving IShellLink and IPersistFile interfaces, and the appropriate interface methods) a sub-folder and several shortcuts for an individual user in the <Start menu/Programs> folder , but the shortcuts 'mysteriously' end up in the all users <Start menu/Programs> folder. To be more precise, the shortcuts should be created in: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu \Programs \ProductName\ but instead they end up i...

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000. Failed
Dear all I have a computer on the network that will not install windows update. Computer in three weeks that won't install this update on the following updates were not installed: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417) Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 Pentium 4 Microsoft Office 2003 I have tried the following below: Uninstall the .NET 2.0 Update KB976569. Reboot. Apply KB974417 successfully, Reboot. The KB975569 update and failed again. Please can you assist or advise? P...

The Operation Failed
Message when i clic send/recieve -"The Operation Failed" now what??? >-----Original Message----- >Message when i clic send/recieve -"The Operation Failed" >now what??? >. >Outlook will sened not recieve - any ideas? ...

Scheduling wizard fails with parameterized reports
Hi all, we are evaluating the report scheduling wizard and we encounter some issues. After many tests, it appears that the wizard works well with reports using CRM filtering, but fails with reports embedding Reporting Services parameters. The error is not explicit, it just says "an error occured" but I can't find any more information. Unfortunately, I have some very complex reports that requires the parameters to be used in the data source query, and CRM filtering is not the solution. So, how can we make parameterized reports to be successfully scheduled with the wizard ...

I am receiving emails but cannot send using Vista and Windows mail
Account: 'POP.ATT.YAHOO.COM', Server: 'POP.ATT.YAHOO.COM', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR popgate unknown command', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18 Wrong port number and SSL setting. Use the settings specified by your provider: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401738 Also, go to Tools, Accounts, select that mail account, Properties, Servers. Make sure that "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" is not enabled. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "rcatonrealto...

Where to adv/sell outlook solutions?
Does anyone know of a site I can usee to advertise or even sell my outlook forms and solutions? Thanks in advance... Tim Try http://www.slipstick.com -- send a message to the webmaster there.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Tim Brocklehurst" <timbrock@btinternet.com> wrote in message = news:d434ld$at2$1@sparta.btinternet.com... > Does anyone know of a site I can usee to advertise or even sell my = outlook=...

Looking for EDI solution
Hi Folks, One of my clients needs to start accepting invoices from a major vendor using the EDI 810 format. Does anyone have anything good (or cautions) to say about any 3rd party EDI integrations out there? Leslie -- Leslie Vail, CPA, MCT, MVP MCBSP-Application for Microsoft Dynamics GP MCBSP-Installation and Configuration for Microsoft Dynamics GP cell: 972-814-8550 fax: 972-692-7472 We're implementing Vsync now (coming from eBridge, who did not suit us, but have many customers). Things are progressing well. -- Tim Foster "Leslie Vail [MVP]" wrote: > Hi Fol...

Is there a solution