Is it possible to use laptop's touchpad to do signature as on PDA?

hi, all
Our program (VC++) on PDA supports signature. And I am moving the code to
laptop. But it seems impossible to support signature without other hardware
device like "Writing Pad". Does anyone know if it is possible to do signature
with the laptop's touchpad?
0
Nicky (55)
11/17/2004 6:44:03 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

It's just a pointing device. So all you have to do is track the mouse.

Now the downside: the actual mouse position is apparently not read until your program asks
for the value, something you can see if you simply handle each OnMouseMove and write the
x,y coordinates into an array. You will not see smooth motion. It is not clear the system
will give you all the positions you need to do a decent reading of something as finely
detailed as a signature.
					joe

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:44:03 -0800, "Nicky" <Nicky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>hi, all
>Our program (VC++) on PDA supports signature. And I am moving the code to
>laptop. But it seems impossible to support signature without other hardware
>device like "Writing Pad". Does anyone know if it is possible to do signature
>with the laptop's touchpad?

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
newcomer (15974)
11/21/2004 6:18:55 AM
Hi, Joe, thank you for your reply!
Smooth motion is a problem.  And the biggest problem I hit is I don't know
the starting point and ending point of each move by touch pad.
In mspaint, the start point is the point when you press your left mouse key.
But by touch pad, if you touch the left-down corner, and then touch the
right-up corner, the mouse does not move at all. It thinks they are the same
places.
So, what I will get is a continual line. I am afraid they ask me "Are you
sure this is their signature?"  hehe!

"Joseph M. Newcomer" wrote:

> It's just a pointing device. So all you have to do is track the mouse.
>
> Now the downside: the actual mouse position is apparently not read until your program asks
> for the value, something you can see if you simply handle each OnMouseMove and write the
> x,y coordinates into an array. You will not see smooth motion. It is not clear the system
> will give you all the positions you need to do a decent reading of something as finely
> detailed as a signature.
> 					joe
>
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:44:03 -0800, "Nicky" <Nicky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >hi, all
> >Our program (VC++) on PDA supports signature. And I am moving the code to
> >laptop. But it seems impossible to support signature without other hardware
> >device like "Writing Pad". Does anyone know if it is possible to do signature
> >with the laptop's touchpad?
>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Nicky (55)
11/22/2004 9:05:04 PM
In our app, we do the following:
- on mouse down, we start a separate thread, saving GetCursorPos into an
array;
- we handle n gathered positions on each wm_timer;
- on mouse up, we kill the timer and the thread.

The above algorithm is used to provide smooth results [on not so busy
systems] in opposite to mouse move events and it should solve the "start vs.
end" problem.

Also, there are settings [on some touch pads] to control if it's relative
(as you described) or absolute device. And AFAIK, there are similar settings
even for tablets. In relative coordinates _touching_ left-down and then
right-up corners obviously will not move the cursor.

IMHO, using touch pads for something as complex as signatures may be a tough
task, because of their sizes. But there must be something in Win Tablet
Edition.

Good luck!

"Nicky" <Nicky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Joe, thank you for your reply!
> Smooth motion is a problem.  And the biggest problem I hit is I don't know
> the starting point and ending point of each move by touch pad.
> In mspaint, the start point is the point when you press your left mouse
key.
> But by touch pad, if you touch the left-down corner, and then touch the
> right-up corner, the mouse does not move at all. It thinks they are the
same
> places.
> So, what I will get is a continual line. I am afraid they ask me "Are you
> sure this is their signature?"  hehe!

> "Joseph M. Newcomer" wrote:
> > It's just a pointing device. So all you have to do is track the mouse.
> >
> > Now the downside: the actual mouse position is apparently not read until
> > your program asks for the value, something you can see if you simply
> > handle each OnMouseMove and write the x,y coordinates into an array. You
> > will not see smooth motion.

> > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:44:03 -0800, "Nicky"
> > >Our program (VC++) on PDA supports signature. And I am moving the code
> > >laptop. But it seems impossible to support signature without other
hardware
> > >device like "Writing Pad". Does anyone know if it is possible to do
signature
> > >with the laptop's touchpad?

Is it possible

Inserting Customers into HQ using SQL
We are writing an integration to RMS HQ Customers from an application called Campus View. I'm trying to write an insert statement to insert into the Customer table. I first tried inserting a record without explicitly setting the ID or HQID fields in the script to see if SQL would auto-generate these key fields for me. I received an error that null values weren't allowed. I tried manually creating a customer to see what ID values it would assign. Rather than starting at 1 and auto incrementing it appears to be choosing very long numbers to assign as the ID fields. For exampl...

Personal Folders in OWA

Blocking fields to avoid use in formulas
Is there any possibility to block the particular field in order to avoid users to use invalid fields in formulas ? regards Peter You can lock and unlock cells (then protect the worksheet) so that users can't change certain cells. But if you allow them to type a formula into a cell, then I can't think of anyway of stopping them from pointing at A1 when A1 shouldn't be used. Is that what you meant? If it is, maybe someone else has a way... If it's not, maybe you should rephrase your question. Piotr wrote: > > Is there any possibility to block the particular field i...

Money in laptop and office computer
I tried money 2006 and later I bought the standard version downloaded via internet. Now I want to open my I downloaded the trial version, but cannot open the file, neither want to buy another money 2006. Do I have to?. In microsoft.public.money, lfalini@cantv.net <lfalini@cantv.net@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I tried money 2006 and later I bought the standard version downloaded via >internet. >Now I want to open my I downloaded the trial version, but cannot open the >file, neither want to buy another money 2006. Do I have to?. You can download and install the Mo...

Using project indicators and the current date
Is there a way to set up project indicators based on the current date verses the finish date? I want it more for a visual for resources to basically alert them visually if a task is due to finish within 2 weeks, or has passed. Here's what I want to show: Green - Finish date is < 2 weeks away Yellow - Finish date is >= 2 weeks Red - The Finish date has passed This would be using the current date, not baseline. Hi m2mteck, Is this in MSProject, or Project Web Access? -- Regards, Ben. http://www.applepark.co.uk http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/ "...

Using rundll32.exe to install using a non interactive session
Hi, I'm trying to write a script that will remotely install a file system filter driver remotely across a number of systems using psexec.exe (from sysinernals). This works fine if the user is logged on to the remote system, but does not seem to work if no user is logged in. If I try to run other applications using psexec when the user is not logged in, they wrk fine. Are there any reasons why rundll32.exe cannot be used in this way? Thanks Richard "Rich Jones" <Rich Jones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9910D08-E00E-49E5-842E-93E9F...

working out which colour text is used to populate a cell
Hi all, Fingers crossed someone out there will be able to help me. I have been tasked to provide a spreadsheet at work to monitor a number of applications and written applications that we receive and the number of days we respond by. I have the following cells ‘application received’(Cell B), ‘enquiry received’(Cell C), ‘date completed’(Cell E) I then have the following formula in Cell H =NETWORKDAYS(IF(B4<>"",B4,C4),E4,$A$119:$A$158) which determines which cell has the date in (B or C) and then works out the number of days it has taken looking at cell E (the...

Recommendations, Please: Inexpensive PDA/handheld for Syncing Outlook 2000/2003
I need to purchase a PDA to sync with Outlook 2000 on one system and Outlook 2003 on the other system. As well as using it to sync the two Outlooks, I'd also like it to be a useful PDA. There is an application I may use that requires Palm OS 4.1 or higher. However, this isn't crucial. Any suggestions are really appreciated. Peter D <please@.sk> wrote: > I need to purchase a PDA to sync with Outlook 2000 on one system and > Outlook 2003 on the other system. As well as using it to sync the two > Outlooks, I'd also like it to be a useful PDA. There is an > applic...

pictures in various shapes
Is it possible to insert a picture and make it into a circle or an oval or various other shapes than just squares and rectangles? Thank you ahead of time. with a graphics editor -- Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP - FrontPage "Stephanie" <Stephanie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:014D0D06-15F9-4D92-8D93-64FBD3A9CA32@microsoft.com... | Is it possible to insert a picture and make it into a circle or an oval or | various other shapes than just squares and rectangles? Thank you ahead of | time. | | Stephanie wrote: > Is it possible to insert a pict...

VS 2005 Using Crystal Reports from MFC application
I'm trying to find documentation on how to integrate Crystal Reports (the one included with Visual Studio 2005) into a C++/MFC dialog based application. Has anybody had any success with this? If so, do you know if I have to use managed C++ in order to accomplish this? I tried to add the CrystalReports ActiveX ReportViewer (10.2) into my dialog but it doesn't appear in the list of available ActiveX objects. I looked into the Registry to see if the component was actually registered and the entry is blank (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \CrystalReports102.ActiveXReportViewer.1 is empty). Does any...

Using Outlook with Hotmail
Hello. I've just started using Outlook 2003, after having owned the disc for a while (I only used office for Word prior to this). I use two hotmail accounts, both of which are installed fine. 1) How can I get an audio alert when new hotmail arrives? Surely if Outlook Express provides one, then the more advanced program should too??? This is a mjor thing for me, as I don't want to have to keep checking constantly to see if I have mail. 2) How do I configure my sent items to stay in the right place - e.g. the hotmail sent items with their relevant accounts, rather than in the un...

Is this possible
I want to make a list of the files in several different folders. Is it possible to somehow "Copy and paste" just the filenames into a list, in either Word or Excel or Wordperfect. I am just trying to sort the files in several different folders to weed out duplicates. There has got to be an easier way then typing them all or screen printing the lists and manually weeding them out. Any suggestions. Frustrated... Hans, Here is some code that will start in a directory and list all files in that and any sub directories. It uses recursion to go through all the subs. Just ch...

Graphing a Line Using the Equation
Is there a way to graph a line using the equation of the line? try this url http://www.dicks-blog.com/archives/2005/01/27/professional-excel-development -sample-chapters/trackback/ see chapter 15 and refer to "charting a function" ============ tortoise25 <tortoise25@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15CECA33-4F39-486B-B486-C5B4DE67E108@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to graph a line using the equation of the line? See PLOT manager http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/plot_manager/index.html and Stephen Bullen's ChtFrmla.zip at http://www...

POST using SSL in MFC
I have the need to "use an object such as Microsoft's WinHTTP or XMLHTTP to emulate an HTML Form POST using SSL." I have examples for doing this in C# and .NET. Can anyone point me in the right direction for accomplishing this on the desktop using VC++ with or without MFC? Thanks! -- Jonathan Wood SoftCircuits Programming http://www.softcircuits.com "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message news:eqA16Xh2HHA.5796@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I have the need to "use an object such as Microsoft's WinHTTP or XMLHTTP to >emulate an...

Crash when using listview.
Hi, we have a multi-threaded application that includes a list control (CListControl). At one point the application crashes with the following stack traces for the different threads. The threads 2, and 3 are sending a message to the GUI thread (#4), but for some reason the GUI thread is crashing when calling ntdll!RtlAllocateHeap. The difficulty is that it's not happening all the time, but always at the same place, so it's hard to pinpoint the problem. Is there a known issue about window messaging problems around this piece of code? THREAD #1 (Worker Thread) WARNING: Stack ...

using the cells property for use with Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum
Has anyone had any success with using the Cells Propery when using the Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum function? My code is below: Sub AddDataMorningMil(mon As String, Day As String, yr As String, intDOW As Integer) 'DOW = Day of Week Dim x As Integer, row As Integer, colStart As Integer, colEnd As Integer, varSum As Variant ' -- Friday column & starting row colEnd = 6 row = 15 ' -- Get the start column & row Select Case intDOW Case 2 'Monday colStart = 2 Case 3 'TuesDay colStart = 3 ...

Is this Possible ?
Hi Have a newsletter document with text boxes that have no outlines but internal gradient colour fills. Is it possible that a macro could remove all colour fills in one hit just leaving the text in place ? many thanks Dim oShape As Shape For Each oShape In ActiveDocument.Shapes If oShape.Type = msoTextBox Then If oShape.Line.Visible = msoFalse Then oShape.Fill.Visible = msoFalse End If End If Next oShape should clear the fill from text boxes that are filled and have no border. -- <>>< ><<> ><&l...

Using a variable to refer to a control in VBA
Good Afternoon, I was wondering if any one can tell me how to fix the 3rd line to work like the 2nd one does. The 2nd one works fine but one the 3rd one they system throws an error. thanks! Dale Dim intloop as integer intloop=8 Forms![frmDate]![frmsubMonth].Form![subForm8].visible = False Forms![frmDate]![frmsubMonth].Form!("subFrom" & intloop & "").visible = False Dale K wrote: >Good Afternoon, > >I was wondering if any one can tell me how to fix the 3rd line to work like >the 2nd one does. The 2nd one works fine but one ...

using macros to autofilter using CURRENT date
What is the macro I need for autofiltering using the current date? I want the macro to update every day and know the date. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ || What is the macro I need for autofiltering using the current date? || I want the macro to update every day and know the date. || || || --- || Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ typing =now() will enter the current date into a cell. so you could have a cell containing this function and a autofilter referencing this cell, assuming the dates are stored in col A Worksheets("sheet1").Range("...

Using XmlDocument.Save removes previous formatting of the file
Hi all, I have a nicely formatted .xml file that loses that nice formatting when I edit it and use XmlDocument.Save to save the file. Does anyone know of any way to keep the formatting I had when I opened the file? Thanks! Aaron Sellers Hi Aaron, The XmlDocument.PreserveWhitespace property is what you need. Set it to True before Loading the XML document, and all whitespace is preserved. Set it to True before Saving, and your whitespace will be preserved. BTW, "XmlDocument.Save" auto-indents the output which you save. HTH, Regards, Cerebrus. Thanks so much, Cerebrus...